HJ 50

Catching Chimeras

 

 

The muted sounds of traffic and heavy rain, the radio playing songs from nineties, four foreign men talking loudly about the baseball match from yesterday. That´s all I was able to register at the moment as I was blindfolded and sitting squeezed between two average looking kidnappers on the backseat. Apart from driving to the east from my house, I couldn´t tell the direction anymore. I was confused and a little tired too but I didn´t dare to fall asleep and miss an important clue.

“Hey, Hyukjae,” the most important from the mediocre group of kidnappers called, “we´re almost here. Hang on.”

“I´m fine,” I answered since it seemed as if the man actually cared. How strange for a criminal but I wouldn´t complain of course. If they saw me as somebody weak and took care of me, I could use that as my advantage.

The car really stopped after a few minutes and somebody opened the door. The cold wind invaded the warmed car and I slightly shivered, Heechul´s jacket wasn´t closed properly. They helped me out of the car but didn´t take off the blindfold nor the lock around my wrists.

“Careful of the stairs,” I was warned and after entering a building, I had to start descending. My legs were still shaky and the wild shivers running through my body didn´t help me a bit to keep my balance. And so it happened that my knee gave away and I crumbled down. The kidnappers absolutely didn´t expect me to come flying down and thus their reaction was to my chagrin too slow. Now I didn´t think that careless kidnapers were a good thing anymore. It probably wasn´t too high because in no time I was down on the floor. With my eyes and hands tied, I couldn´t even brace myself. What happened after? Who knows, I was somewhere far in wonderland.

When I regained my senses, I found myself in soft bed and without the cuffs. It was nice and warm and I had to fight with the urge to go back to sleep. I sat up and looked around me. The room was small and tidy and I would think that I was in a hospital, if I didn´t know the circumstances. Various machines were around the bed, turned off fortunately. The bed was white and clean and the whole room was in pale shades of blue or turquoise. Then I noticed a board with a few papers. In closer look I found out it was a medical report about my condition. But it seemed that they just gave me some vitamins and stuff like iron and magnesium. Now I knew, why I was feeling much better.

“I see you are awake,” I put down the papers to see the person standing in the open door, “and nosy as always,” the man chuckled pointing to the board in my hands.

“Good morning?” I answered coldly and threw the board back on the stand next to me.

“Good evening, Hyukjae,” the short man closed the door behind him and stepped closer.

“So it´s still Tuesday, I see,” I summed up from his answer, which caught the doctor, he was wearing a white cloak, off guard.

“I heard the report about you might be a little misleading but nobody warned me it is to such an extent. Being simply nosy and roaming around full detective mode is something a little different,” the doctor tried to joke around but I wasn´t amused. This whole situation was so unprofessional that it hurt.

“Alright, Hyukjae,” the doctor sighed, “do you know why we brought you here?”

“No, you tell me that,” I answered angrily. I just woke up and wasn´t in the mood to be nice, I was also worried about Heechul.

“Because you were on one very important list that our professor Jung Mansik left behind,” he answered but I only rolled my eyes.

“Tell me something I don´t know, I´ve seen the list many times already but I couldn´t find any connection between the chimeras. Apart from the fact that those I know personally are still alive,” I spilled the beans. This game with cards was getting boring over years. I told him right away what I knew and hoped he would do the same. Would this new technique work? Carelessness was apparently popular among the members of the Likya group.

“This is seriously embarrassing,” the doctor shook his head and sat down on the vacant chair next to my bed. He threw his left leg over the right one and leaned into the chair with his arms crossed. “I see we were just by the bell with bringing you here. A little longer and you might have come knocking on the doors with the arrest warrant in hand!” He chuckled but once again, I didn´t find it to laugh too. I laugh rarely anyway.

“I have questions,” I told him instead.

“Of course you do but you shouldn´t expect me to answer them all,” the doctor stopped laughing. Instead his small eyes gleamed in mischievousness.

“I don´t, still I want to try,” I leaned against the board of the bed. “What happened to the agent that was with me in the house?” I started with the most important issue.

“I don´t know,” the doctor shrugged, “I´m just a doctor and there was no other person but you, when they arrived. Yet, I´m sorry, they didn´t push you down the stairs on purpose.”

“I know but it was their fault nevertheless,” I shook my head because I still couldn´t comprehend the logic. “Okay, then what are you going to do with me?”

“Now that is a question from my field,” the doctor smiled widely, “but I can´t tell you that!” He smirked. I was very annoyed and it took a lot of self-control to stay composed.

“You don´t have to tell me the details, Dr..,” I wondered, if he would introduce himself to me.

“Doctor Ha Donghoon,” the short man slightly bowed and I did the same. One had to be well-mannered under all circumstances. My politeness was well accepted as the doctor spilled probably a little too much than he was allowed to. “First we need to do some routine tests and then we will decide, if we use you for further experimentation or send you away.”

“Further experimentation? Are you possibly planning to continue with Jung Mansik´s plans? You want to create more chimeras? Have you already started? Are there any new babies born crippled like that?” I couldn´t stop myself once my mind got flooded with various possibilities.

“Crippled?! Who do you call crippled?!” The doctor stood up and pointed his finger at me. “Chimeras are superb, they are masterpieces and are better than humans! You should be happy to be born superior like that! And stop asking so many questions!”

“How is it great to live and die early in pain like no other? Decaying while still alive!” Anger call only for more anger and unknowingly I flared up. I wasn´t the type to yell but this short doctor was irritating.

“You don´t understand, Hyukjae,” his voice suddenly quieted down and his tone was deeper. “We aren´t creating failures anymore. We found out the truth, the way to create chimeras that could overpower humans and replace them in the new world. The world of Likya.”

“Stupid,” I snorted. Ha Donghoon on chuckled darkly and leaned against the bed. His face was just a few inches away from mine but I didn´t avoid his sadistic stare, I wasn´t afraid.

“My dear Hyukjae,” he grinned so close and so slowly that I could hear his lips part, “you are very close to becoming the father of all these little chimeras. Keep that in your mind, please.”

With that he left the room. I was speechless sitting on the white bed. They wanted to use my DNA and I wasn´t prepared to bear the guilt of the next lost generation. There were two options left: cancel my own life or hope for him. I wanted to see him, I wanted to see Heechul and hear him say that everything would be alright. Please.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! One more secret is out! :D So how is it? I´m sorry to Haha´s fans! Thank you for reading and your lovely comments (please, keep guessing) and have a nice day! - PandaHero