HC 41

Catching Chimeras

 

 

Hyukjae was planning something, I was sure by now already. What was he up to? I kept wondering as it was Sunday evening and we were both relaxing in the living room. It was raining outside and it was very cold too as it was still only March. We decided to stay at home and make ourselves comfortable instead. But Hyukjae, seated on the red cushion as always, had his laptop opened and was working on something. He refused to tell me what he was working on, making up a useless lie. I was sitting on the sofa and watching him in silence.

“Tell me,” I got annoyed in the end.

“What?” Hyukjae was a little surprised as I brought him out of his thoughts.

“Tell me what´s keeping you so busy these days,” I insisted with a straight face.

“Hyung, I´m just-,“ Hyukjae started but I interrupted his speech.

“And no lies, I can see right through you,” I warned although I actually couldn´t really read Hyukjae. But it worked because the Fairy held a big respect towards me and was wary of my detective skills and experience.

“You won´t like it and you might get mad too,” Hyukjae told me and put his laptop away. He closed it properly so I wouldn´t get a chance to see the screen.

“Try it, you don´t have any other choice anyway,” I told him and frowned. I didn´t like pushing him but Hyukjae wouldn´t behave, if he didn´t feel the authority above him.

“Okay,” the mushroom head sighed and leaned backwards on his arms. “I´m working on the ´Lee Hyukjae´ case.”

“What? And why didn´t you tell me? Isn´t it my case in the first place, huh?” I got naturally mad. Why would he investigate that without me knowing?

“Because my theory is very controversial,” Hyukjae defended, “I was scared you would stop me, but hyung, I have to find out before it´s too late for me!”

This topic again. Hyukjae and his uncertain future was giving me creeps anytime my mind went this way. It made me feel horribly sick and I wanted to do something that would make the Fairy stay with me. I was scared that Hyukjae would die suddenly and I wouldn´t have the time to say my goodbye properly. I felt like crying thanks to just the simple sentence from him. Instead I hit him.

“Ouch, hyung!” Hyukjae protested when a pillow hit his head. He was also irritated, surely I wasn´t the only one hunted by the thoughts about death.

“Don´t talk nonsense. You are not dying and you are forbidden to investigate secretly,” I ordered and threw another pillow at him when I saw him open his mouth. I hit him straigh in the head again. “From now on it´s a secret investigation between the two of us!” I added and sipped from my hot tea. I burnt my tongue but pretended as if nothing because I wanted to look cool for Hyukjae right now.

“Really?!” Hyukjae´s eyes widened and those funny gums peeked out from under his stretched lips. I only nodded my head proudly, I was giving him my word.

“But I´m still not sure, if I can tell you,” Hyukjae bit his lower lip and looked at me guiltily.

“Hyukjae, you have to tell me and if I feel like your idea is possible, I can accept it even being controversial,” I ensured him and gestured for him to come up on the sofa and tell me. The mushroom head resigned and relocated his own cup of tea on the coffee table closer to the sofa.

“Alright, let´s start with the things I know and you tell me, if I´m right,” Hyukjae told me and climbed on the sofa.

“There was somebody, or more like an organization that practised experiments, which started twenty two years ago and stopped twenty years ago, when the head of the group died,” Hyukjae explained.

“Yes, that´s true, his name was Jung Mansik and the organisation was called ´Likya´, Jung Mansik died twenty years ago and took the secret with him to the other world,” I completed the explanation.

“Yup, according to the report, he wanted to re-create Likya, the place from which ancient Chimera originated, by upgrading human DNA. He and his colleagues were changing the DNA inside pregnant mothers´ wombs by pretending to do a usual check-up in the hospitals.”

“Yeah, they had it very well thought through, they appeared in various hospitals in the country, they didn´t miss a single region. It was very hard to later identify and find them. But we managed,” I said remembering the discussion I had with my father as a teenager. “But the scale of the experimentation was way too huge.”

“Yeah, you still haven´t uncovered many chimeras living in this country. It´s the whole generation lost,” Hyukjae said matter of factly.

“Back to the story, Hyukjae,” I told him because I didn´t want to continue with the depressing topic. And I was also very curious about Hyukjae´s radical point of view.

“Well, the main perpetrator was killed during the police action and the doctors were imprisoned in the following eight years. In the meantime the ASC was created and Likya was completely destroyed,” the mushroom head changed its position and was now hanging down from the armrest.

“That´s how it all ended,” I confirmed and put Hyukjae´s legs on my lap so he could lie more comfortably.

“Deng!” Hyukjae suddenly sang trying to be cute. I didn´t understand.

“Likya exists, hyung, and is pretty much alive,” he said with his voice somewhat shaky, the cuteness was gone.

“What do you mean, that´s impossible,” I couldn´t believe it, “I inherited this job after my father and by that time the organization was already in the past. I myself checked it many times but didn´t find any proof that they could still exist. Hyukjae, this is more than just controversial,” I shook my head in disbelief but made up my mind to listen to Hyukjae till the end.

“And I´m only starting, hyung,” Hyukjae said and wiggled a little closer to me so his head was on the sofa and his knees on my lap. “You might want to open a bottle of wine,” he added.

“Let´s get it over with,” I said with a sigh and started playing with Hyukjae´s legs.

“Fine, so the organisation still exists and the reasons why you´ve never found out are two. The first one is about the documentation you lacked,” Hyukjae explained and I slapped his tight.

“Tell me where you found it, in the library or what?” I doubted that a newbie like Hyukjae would have better access to the Intel than a long-time detective like me. Brat.

“Something like that,” Hyukjae chuckled, “I kind of robbed off the principal in the institute.” He admitted with a smirk.

“Really,” I had to laugh and started tickling him. Hyukjae began laughing too and the whole topic of chimeras and death disappeared in the ringing of his voice. I slapped his tight again to bring the topic up again. We almost dropped a conversation that was way too important and serious kind of matter.

“Ouch!” Hyukjae whined and kicked me lightly.

“Fine, I will beat you up and get the details about your secret files out of you later. Now tell me the other reason I didn´t know about the survival of Likya,” I said rudely but my hands started rubbing the painful spots on Hyukjae´s tights. Hyukjae took a deep breath and finally dropped the bomb.

“Because they are inside the ASC.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Asa! Another heavy chapter filled with information. Who would have thought that I was keeping so many things from you? :D The next one will be a little breather (I added some cute fluff and racing heart) but still you better not miss it because one of the main questions would be answered. :) Thank you for reading and good night! (nice day?) - PandaHero