HJ 26

Catching Chimeras

 

 

I was watching still in shock as Kim Heechul closed his front door after talking to one of the school representatives. I was sitting on the backseat of a luxurious black car and my whole attention was at the house out of the window. My eyes were wide and my mouth open, and I was aware of how stupid I must have looked at the moment. But I couldn´t help it, I was completely stunned but Heechul´s unexpected act of affection towards me. Instinctively I brought my fingers to trace the small space on my forehead. Hyukjae, get a hold of yourself man.

The ride back was quiet and I understood that the two men escorting me didn´t hold the position to punish me. They probably weren´t even allowed to talk to me. Seeing that I didn´t even bother ask them anything. I focused on the road disappearing in the morning sun. The red and orange hues covered most of the colour scale available but I didn´t mind. The sun rise was beautiful. Today especially.

When we arrived to the institute, another black car was already parked in front of the building. I bet somebody from ASC came to visit. Hopefully it would be that Leeteuk ahjussi, he seems to be close to Heechul hyung and may not be too harsh. But my hopes crushed immediately when I entered the principal´s office.

“Sit down, Hyukjae,” the headmaster commanded in his authoritative voice and I immediately followed. I knew better than to disobey at this moment.

“This is agent Andy Lee, he came from the police department to talk to you about something,” the old man gestured to a short but serious looking guy standing near the window, judging me with his cold stare. He had visible dark circles under his eyes and I wondered, if it´s like this always or if it´sbecause he was awake the whole night on purpose to find me. If the second option was the right one, I´m in a big mess. He won´t be gentle with me.

“Good morning, Sir,” I greeted politely the agent. I was trying to look as good as possible in order to soften his visibly angry features. It didn´t work very well, though.

“Hello, Hyukjae,” Andy Lee said coldly, “are you aware that you gave us a sleepless night?” His voice sounded annoyed and it was apparent he wanted to vent his pilled-up stress on me. Great.

“I´m sorry, Sir,” I answered nevertheless, “it won´t happen again.” I added with a regretful voice to show him how much I was sorry. The agent only snorted aloud.

“What a joke,” he said and frowned at me, “I will correct myself then. Are you aware that you gave us another sleepless night, Hyukjae?” I hissed at the bitter tone. I´ve always known that Heechul wouldn´t have been able to find me so quickly when I ran to Andong that time without a proper support. I guess this guy has been a victim of the investigation of my case.

“I´m sorry again then,” I said firmly. A pity won´t help on this person so I might as well show him that he better not mess around with me because I´m not letting it happen. The fact that they brought me back to the institute means that I´m going to be safe as long as I don´t spill too much of what I know.

“You better be Lee Hyukjae. I´ll ask you straight, why did you ran away?” Andy Lee noticed my defensiveness and put up his guard.

“I didn´t plan to leave the institute, I just felt slightly stuffy here so I took a little breather,” I said in beforehand prepared phrase. I knew this question would come.

“Why did you visit a detective instead of your friends or relatives?” The agent asked again. He too had his questions prepared.

“I was told that my situation is dangerous so I didn´t want to bring it up on my friends,” I answered calmly to the irritation of my interviewer. “And Heechul hyung was kind enough to have a meal with me for a short while.” Another question was bound to come and I had to be especially careful to not let any reaction show on my face.

“And what were you talking about over the meal, Hyukjae,” the agent´s voice darkened but I managed to remain composed.

“Just some unimportant stuff,” I shrugged as if nothing, “about the school, hyung´s impossible choice of clothing,” Andy Lee then supressed a small grin. He must also be aware of Heechul´s extravagant wardrobe. “And also how is Leeteuk hyung doing these days,” I added on purpose. I knew that the mention of the boss would undermine the offensive tone of the agent.

“I see,” as expected Andy Lee was at loss, “anything else?”

“Nothing, sir,” I said firmly again and the agent could only sigh.

“That´s it then. I will take my leave, seongsaeng-nim,” Andy Lee bowed to the headmaster and with a last nasty glare into my direction, he disappeared. But I knew it was still too early to relax, a personality even greater was in the room and the dark aura couldn´t be ignored.

“So,” the important voice started and I quickly shifted my attention to the principal, “now that we are alone, let´s proceed with your punishment, Hyukjae.”

“I´m sorry,” I bowed my head and from stubborn turned to submissive.

“I´m glad you are and I´m sure you are also ready to bear the consequences of your actions,” the headmaster was naturally pleased by the effect he had on his student and somehow I could feel that he wouldn´t charge me too much after all. “So as a punishment for your behaviour you are going to help in the library for the rest of the semester, also you are forbidden to participate in the upcoming festival.”

My eyes widened in surprise. I had my head still bowed and hoped that the long bangs managed to hide my delighted expression. This was almost like a prize than punishment! The library was my favourite place of the building and as a librarian I would have a better access to the sections that are off-limits to other students. On top of that I can avoid acting in that stupid festival. Is this really my punishment? I started to doubt the blessed words and carefully raised my head.

“Any problem with that, Lee Hyukjae?” The headmaster asked but there was a certain glint in his eyes and that small tug of the corners of his lips and I suddenly felt like something was hidden between the lines.

“Of course not, I understand my punishment and I´m once again sorry for all the inconveniences,” I hurriedly answered with all possible formalities and honour in my tone. I almost thanked him too.

“Good, I hope nothing like this will happen again,” the principal added but he still had that puzzling expression. And he wore it until I left the office which made me wonder about the reason. Did I miss anything?

“Hyukjae!” I was walking down the hallway and turned around at the familiar voice calling my name.

“Hey, Seunggi,” I greeted back once the odd-eyed boy made it to my side. I was glad to see him, especially since the friend brought me a pack of chocolate milk. I opened it first thing before I started paying attention to the frog guy.

“So you are back,” Seunggi continued in much quieter voice. “How did it go? Learnt anything?”

“More like confirmed lots of stuff but yes, I did find out something,” I answered and grinned at him. “But there is a nice bonus my friend. As a punishment I get to help at the library and you know what that means, right?”

“Unbelievable,” my companion in crime exclaimed with jealousy, “how did you do that?”

“That one was simply luck,” I said but inwardly I wasn´t that sure. I might have said or done something that made the principal fancy me. I was pondering about the strange atmosphere in the office while sipping from my milk through the straw.

“And how about your detective?” Seunggi began in a lighter tone. “You wanted to see him,” he chuckled, “it was written all over your forehead!”

At the word forehead my mind suddenly went blank, a rush of endorphin ran through my body. Without any warning and without me expecting it to happen my body reacted.

“Yah! Who told you to spit the milk all over my face, you stupid Fairy!” And poor Seunggi had me spitting again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi! I really like this story! :D Maybe because it´s a bit more action or the strange pairing? I don´t know but it´s fun to write. The Ball of moonlight seems extremely boring compared to this one. Anyway, thank you for reading and commenting although I already made two long (two weeks is long for me) pauses in writing. T_T Thank you for your funny comments and take care! - Panda Hero