HJ 40

Catching Chimeras

 

 

It was lunch break but I insisted that I wasn´t hungry and would rather finish some paperwork. Heechul glared at me, he didn´t like me not eating properly, but in the end left together with all my new co-workers. I was sitting alone behind my desk and waited for the office to quiet down. From now on I had at least thirty-five minutes until they would return. I made sure to count our lunchtime every day and it varied from forty minutes to one hour. Why would I do that?

I stood up from my place and one last time checked that I was safe to roam around the room. As a newbie I realised that my access to the system was quite limited from my computer. At home I tried to get through Heechul´s but the detective strengthened the security after the last time I hacked his laptop. Because of that I decided to give it a go right here in the office. I thought out beforehand, which computer was worth checking and there was somebody I was a little curious about.

“Let´s go, Hyukjae,” I cheered myself and sat down on the chair that wasn´t mine. I the computer but of course a white rectangle appeared on the screen, demanding the right password.

“Which one should I try?” I asked myself. Since I decided on the computer a week ago, I kept thinking over the password every day. I had a few ideas but I couldn´t really be sure that I would be able to guess someone´s personal code.

And as expected, it wasn´t easy. Almost thirty minutes had passed and all my tries were a huge failure. I tried everything from simple things like birthday, pet name, phone number, favourite food and TV show. I checked also usual passwords consisting of letters and numbers according to the placement on the keyboard but that didn´t work either. It was thirty-five and I knew that I couldn´t risk anymore being caught. But there was one thing I decided to try. The reason I chose this person´s computer kept bothering me and I wrote three words I hoped won´t be the right answer.

´LEE HYUK JAE´

The screen turned from black to blue and a bright ´Welcome´ was written in the middle. I gulped and cold sweat covered my neck. This is a bad joke. I quickly turned the computer off and evacuated to my own desk. My eyes were wide and my breathing was irregular. Does it mean that my worries were justified? Or was it just simply because my case was something this team was working on for a long time? Could be. Calm down, Hyukjae. I would definitely need to investigate this personally. And secretly of course.

“Are you sick, Hyuk?” I was startled when a hand was placed on my shoulder. I turned around swiftly to find there Shindong with concerned face. “You didn´t eat and your face is all pale, you don´t look good,” he added. Shindong raised his hand to put it on my forehead so he could check my temperature but decided otherwise and let his arm fall back down. He didn´t dare to touch me.

“I´m fine, Hyung,” I smiled slightly, “I might be only a little tired,” I lied.

“Here, I brought you this,” I glanced up at the person that placed two chocolate muffins on my table, “some sugar for your lost energy.” Jihyo smothered my hair and gave me a warm smile too.

“Don´t spoil him, he´s lazy enough already,” Heechul interrupted the conversation with his snarky voice. I rolled my eyes.

“Is it about the plate again?” I asked in disbelief.

“What plate?” The tall Chinese returning to the office a little late asked. God, are we really going to talk about this here?

“This lazy brat instead of being grateful makes me his maid!” Heechul crossed his arms over his chest and shook his head in disapproval.

“That´s not true, hyung. Don´t twist the story!” I protested. “It was just once, I fell asleep in the living room and didn´t clean the dishes after myself.”

“Aren´t you too young to be falling asleep even before the rated movies start?” Heechul teased.

“Not everyone enjoys rated movies as you do,” I returned with a smirk and Jihyo chuckled next to me.

“Let´s stop this nonsense, we got a work to do,” Heechul changed the topic quickly as if nothing. “And it seems like you´re feeling much better so you can join Minho on the watch this afternoon.”

“Understood,” I pouted and grabbed the muffins. I wanted to stick my tongue at him too but in the end only played hurt so Heechul would feel bad. I´m not sure, if it worked because I didn´t turn around to see his face.

Waiting for the elevator to arrive, I put on the jacket I was holding. I ignored the stares I was receiving from the other agents sitting in the open-space. They were judging me hard and although I managed to raise the respect a little bit by doing a good job, it still wasn´t enough for most of the agents to accept my presence. I was a chimera after all. Feeling their glares on my back I stretched myself a little until I was able to feel my wings shift slightly beneath the back protector. I felt a lot better and entered the lift.

Minho was already sitting in the car and starting the engine. I waved at him to wait for me and jogged to the official car. It wasn´t as striking as the police patrol vehicle, it was more like a company car with no advertisement. It was black KIA comfortable enough to spend there a few hours when on watch.

“Heechul told me to join you,” I said jumping on the passenger seat.

“Great, I hate being on watch alone,” Minho chuckled and grabbed the steering wheel. I could only sigh. This day was getting only better and better.

The car was parked on a casual street in quite normal neighbourhood, something similar to the place I had lived in before. We were facing the house of our target but for the past hour nothing special happened. It was boring, just like any other watch.

“Here,” I handed Minho one of my muffins and took a big bite of mine. I was hungry because I skipped the lunch today.

“Thanks,” the latter said and also started eating. We stayed quiet, only munching on the sweet treat.

“How is living with the chef?” Minho asked in the end. It was impossible to avoid the topic forever.

“Not bad, I´m pretty much used to living with him,” I answered calmly. There was nothing to add, I was content.

“It looked like you had already known each other even before you joined our team,” the taller of us asked again. He was pretty curious about me but that was to be expected. Every detective had a personality like that, I could relate. Although I didn´t really like talking about personal matters.

“Yeah, he was the one to bring me to the institute. Nothing more,” I shrugged off my lies.

“I see,” Minho understood that he wouldn´t be able to dig out anything else about me and returned to the snack he was holding. I sighed in relief.

At half passed six we called it a day as another car with JuMyeok parked in front of ours. Changing guards. Although the atmosphere between me and Minho improved though the time we were locked in the car, I was glad when he could finally bring me home. He stopped in front of Heechul´s house and gave me a big grin. Minho always enjoyed my presence, it felt strange honestly, especially after the horrible feeling I went through at the office.

I unlocked the main door and closed it behind me. Then I took off my shoes to put them prettily on the shelf. I put my coat on the rack and threw my bag on the ground, I would pick it up later when I go to my room. Instead I shuffled to the kitchen from where I heard the rattling of the dishes.

“I´m back,” I announced from the doorway. I felt a little uneasy after the little fight in the office and at home the day before. The stupid dirty plate as the cause of all the problems. Heechul turned away from preparing the dinner, he was just heating up his mom´s cooking.

“Hyukjae,” Heechul cleaned his hands and walked to me. I got startled when he put his hand on my forehead. “How are you feeling?”

“Happy.” I answered strangely.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Asa! Here we go! I will tell you honestly, first hints for you are hidden in this chapter. :D It´s maybe apparent on purpose or it might not be either. Of course, you will soon find out as I´m starting to unwrap the story. Thank you for reading and take care! - PandaHero