HC 01

Catching Chimeras

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ   

 

It was raining heavily outside, a horrible storm trying to push inside the warm house of mine. I sighed, that was the worst weather really. But at least I could laze around at home with my favourite cat on my lap. We were watching the TV with warm blanket wrapped around us and I would once in a while sip from my bourbon. I would even say if the storm wasn´t making so much noise, it would be an ideal evening. I chuckled when the guy at this lame show made a mishap and ended up being laughed at. I´m sure I would be a better MC than him.

I´ve always believed I was destined to work in the show business but unfortunately my father had a better idea. Inwardly I knew I wouldn´t be able to escape the future he had written for me so I haven´t tried to change my destiny. Though my current job isn´t any less interesting than working in the TV station. But honestly, if I told you, you wouldn´t believe me anyway.

I smiled again seeing the MC struggle against the guests that I found way funnier than the original program. I was about to get my glass with bourbon when a loud bang on my door stopped me midway. The cat on my lap got startled and jumped down while the person outside continued to bang on my front door. I glanced at the clock on the wall, half past eleven. Whoever it is I´m sure no good news are coming with him.

I stood up throwing the blanket on the ground and shuffled in my red fluffy slippers towards the main entrance. Another angry beating on the solid wood and I was slowly losing my patience just like the person in the rain. Grumpily I unlocked the door and pulled it open.

“Heechul! What the hell?!” My flared up friend invited himself inside, which wouldn´t be anything unusual, if there wasn´t another figure tagging along. Who´s that?

“Yah, Jungsu,” I smashed the door behind them, “what´s this supposed to mean?” I pointed to the person next to him.

I couldn´t deny my irritation caused by these people who came to ruin my peaceful evening. Jungsu was already taking off his shoes and wet jacket. He´s here as home as I´m at his place so it didn´t feel strange when he put on another pair of spare slippers. Naturally I didn´t pay Jungsu much attention shifting it rather to the stranger. He was still wearing a wet black hoodie which was covering even his face. Looking at the legs he had to be slim and young but I had no idea whether it was a male or female. And most importantly I didn´t know why my friend brought him here. Well I had an idea but still hoped I was wrong. Most likely not.

“Put down your shoes, Hyukjae,” Jungsu ordered the, apparently, boy with a kind voice and the latter still not raising his head obeyed. Without bending down he kicked off the shoes but strangely shuffled them with his bare feet so they would be straightened, looking neat. What a weird kid.

“I guess you are going to ignore all my protests,” I sighed and heard Jungsu chuckle, “so go to the living room and I´ll bring you a warm drink.”

I slowly walked to the kitchen where a pot with bourbon was still standing on the stove. I ignited the fire to reheat the red liquid. I leaned against the kitchen counter and waited for Jungsu who was sure to come join me. I hoped he would have a good explanation for this mess. And as expected a slim black haired male entered the kitchen alone after few moments.

“Who´s that?” I asked him straight with my arms folded on my chest and eyes closed.

“Lee Hyukjae,” Jungsu told me and sat down on a chair, throwing his leg over his knee elegantly. “As you´ve already guessed he´s another chimera.” My friend sighed and I turned around to stir the bourbon. Jungsu continued: “Like it usually occurs, it didn´t go well at home for him but tonight a tragedy happened,” I stopped stirring. Oh God, how I hate when the story turns out like that. “Hyukjae´s uncle came to visit but he kinda snapped,” I hissed, “his brother, Hyukjae´s father tried to protect his wife and the boy from the violent guy who attacked them in his rage.”

“Don´t tell me,” I turned back to Jungsu with the ladle in my hand. My friend only nodded, confirming my premonition.

“Unfortunately Lee Hyukjae is the sole survivor,” Jungsu announced sadly. “I didn´t know what to do with him, the dormitory is already full and even if it wasn´t, I wouldn´t leave the boy there alone. Not tonight,” the serious man explained and I had a feeling where this all was going.

“Don´t you dare dump him here,” I said sternly and went to retrieve two mugs from the cupboard.

“Heechul-ah, don´t be so cold hearted,” Jungsu cooed, “two days, three top!” He begged me and I had no choice but to give away.

“Whatever,” I mumbled filling the empty cups with the bourbon.

“Thanks, really,” Jungsu patted my shoulder and took his cup, “from what I had a chance to see, the boy is quite extraordinary.”

“Aren´t they all?” I rolled my eyes and started walking towards the living room to take a look at the young chimera.

When we arrived, Hyukjae was still hidden under his huge black hoodie and was looking out of the window. Of course he wouldn´t be happily skipping around after what had happened to him a few hours ago. But strangely I couldn´t feel that bitterness so common for betrayed or hurt chimeras. Jungsu was right; there was something about this boy.

“Hyukjae,” Jungsu announced our arrival placing his mug on the table, “you should put that down, it´s wet and we don´t want you to catch a cold now,” he walked close to the boy with apparent hesitation. Don´t blame him, it wouldn´t be the first time a chimera would snap.

“I-I´d rather not,” Hyukjae turned to face Jungsu but kept staring at his shoes. His voice was deeper than I expected but sounded very weak and tired.

“You better! I don´t want to take care of a sick brat!” I lost my patience just like always. Hyukjae flinched and Jungsu frowned at me, hissing something vulgar on my account.

I ignored both of them and gaining more courage after hearing the weak chimera´s voice, I began walking forward. Hyukjae immediately started retreating backwards but before he could react, I was already in front of him and holding the hem of his hoodie. Jungsu yelled at me but I didn´t care, once I got impatient, it was too late to care. I pulled up the wet piece of clothing forcing Hyukjae to raise his arms and allow me to strip him. Unfortunately together with the hoodie I took off his shirt too. Oops.

“Waah,” Hyukjae yelped and squatted down while hugging his bare upper body.

“Sorry?” I chuckled awkwardly and at that instant the chimera looked up at me with surprised eyes. Oh My God.

The boy could have been eighteen the most. His single-lidded eyes were opened widely revealing completely his chocolate irises. He had straight nose which was now almost as red as his plump half-opened lips. But the biggest surprise was the strange as if light he was emitting. I expected someone dark and scary but instead I was welcomed by white mop of hair disappearing into almost as white expanse of skin. Incredible.

“Achoo!” Hyukjae suddenly sneezed and with the jerk of the skinny body something I didn´t notice before got revealed. Light rustle behind the boy´s back made me lean forward to take a look. Two transparent wings were shaking there making Hyukjae look like a butterfly without colours.

Noticing my glare, Hyukjae quickly backed away but it was too late already. I had my proof. He was indeed just a chimera.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Hello, hope you like the first chapter :) - Thank you, Panda Hero