Chapter forty four

꽃 Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I didn’t know how to feel as I stared into Jongin’s brown orbs.

How long had it been since I’ve met him face to face?

How long had it been since my reflection mirrored in his iris when he glanced my way?

How long had it been since I could feel his breath blowing gentle puffs on my face, leaving that almighty scent and aura lingering on my cheeks and nose before disappearing into the cold wind?

It’s been too long. So long, that I couldn’t bring my heart and mind to accept the reality of it all.

“You’re an…unknown, my lord?” An awed whisper escaped my lips.

Jongin’s lips tilted a bit as he took that one more step forward and crashed me into his embrace.

“I am, Soyoung.” Jongin laughed merrily, as if becoming an unknown was the very thing he had wanted all his life, “we can finally be together.”

That was when I returned to reality.

“No,” My voice quivered slightly as I pushed him away with all my strength, sending Jongin tumbling back a little, “We can’t be together anymore. I-I…”

*I killed you, Jongin.* I finished off my sentence in my mind as my lips refused to say the words.

“Why not?” Jongin’s large eyes softened with hurt as he took that step forward again, “Why can’t we be together?”

“There’s been too much hurt passed on between us, my lord.” I lowered my eyes, trying to avoid the new found innocence in Jongin’s eyes that wasn’t there before he died, “W-We can’t possibly be together anymore.”

“Soyoung…” Jongin trailed off as his hands dropped to his sides, “If this is about me ordering your death then I am willing to do anything you ask of me. I only hope that you will forgive me and love me again.”

“This isn’t about that, Jongin!” I tightened my fists as tension seeped out of my words, “I don’t care about the past anymore!”

“Then what’s wrong?” Confusion flashed past his eyes, “Why don’t you love me anymore-“

“-Because she loves me.”

I jolted slightly as a pair of hands rested itself on my shoulders, and a relieved smile graced my lips as I turned around, expecting to see Sehun.

But to my disappointment, Sehun was nowhere to be seen.

Instead, Lay stood behind me, the usual calmness in his eyes gone and replaced with hard, steeling glares as he tightened his grip on my shoulders in a protective manner.

Jongin frowned as he eyed Lay down.

“Who are you?” Jongin’s voice was hostile, “I don’t think I’ve seen you before.”

“Oh, but I have.” Lay sneered, pushing me behind him so he was facing Jongin. “And I saw how big of a weak and cowardly emperor you are.”

Jongin’s face darkened.

“Say that again.” Jongin’s tone contradicted his words, his voice seeping out dangerous threats warning Lay never to say those words again. “I dare you.”

“You’re a coward, Kim Jongin.”

Jongin’s face darkened even further, and the innocence I saw in his eyes was gone in a flash, replaced with anger that threatened to explode any minute. But just when I thought that he was going to explode, Jongin calmed himself with a twitch of his eye and his tense shoulders relaxed as he stared into my eyes with a loving stare.

“I’ll see you again, Soyoung.” Jongin told me softly, “When we’re alone.”

And with that one last sentence, Jongin turned around and walked away, his shoulders straight and his head held high.

Lay let out a low whistle as Jongin left and turned to me, his eyes searching my face.

“Are you alright, Soyoung?” I was surprised to see the worry deep in his eyes, “How did you feel seeing him again?”

“I…” I couldn’t bring the words out of my mouth, “I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” Lay frowned, “I mean, after that episode you had with him when I made you visible to him, you cried for hours straight until your eyes were swollen red.”

“That was before.” I smiled softly, “Now I don’t care anymore.”

Lay gave me a small, relived smile and squeezed my cheeks, causing my eyes to widen a little at his unexpected action.

“Alright then,” Lay laughed softly as the peacefulness returned to his eyes, “Let’s go. We’ve made up our plans already so you can come back.”

As I followed after Lay, a question formed in my head and I bit my lips as I glanced up at him.

“Uhm…Lay?” I found myself talking hesitantly.

“What is it?” Lay glanced down at me.

“Why…why didn’t Sehun come to fetch me instead of you?” I bit my lips at Lay’s raised eyebrow, “Uh…not to say that I don’t like you, but…uhm-“

“-it’s okay. I understand what you’re saying.” Lay shrugged his shoulders, waving off my awkward explanation, “Sehun…how do I say it? He ran into some small trouble.”

I felt my heart sink.

“T-trouble?” My eyes widened in alarm, “What kind of trouble? Is he okay? Is…he isn’t dead, right-“

“-Relax.” Lay clamped one hand on my mouth to stop me from talking, “I said it was small trouble, didn’t I? He’s not dead or anything…just…talking with…you know.”

“No, I don’t know.” I replied muffled through Lay’s hands. “So tell me quickly!”

Lay wrinkled his nose in disgust as he removed his palm from my mouth and wiped my saliva off his hands.

“He’s talking with his dad right now.” Lay muttered as he shook his hand, “But don’t worry, it was all part of the plan so-“

“-D-dad?” I stared at Lay with my mouth slightly open, “Did you say…Sehun’s dad?”

Lay sighed a little. “Yes. I did.”

“So…that means…” I trailed off and stared into Lay’s eyes hopefully, wishing fervently that Lay woul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter