Broken Promises

Jonghyun the Genie

FLASHBACK

Ji Eun and her only friend Mr Lollipop were playing catch in the backyard. Many other girls wanted to get the attention Ji Eun had from Mr Lollipop, because he was good looking even at a young age.

Ji Eun spotted several other girls throwing her bad looks and that made her run slower. Mr Lollipop caught up with her in an instant and pushed her on the ground.

"Caught you!" he half panted half smiled.

He noticed Ji Eun looking over to the other girls and he waved his hands in front of her face. "Hey! Anything wrong?" he asked worried.

Ji Eun shook her head. "Mr Lollipop, why don't you play with other girls?" she asked. "Why do you only play with me? They are looking."

Mr Lollipop turned and saw the other girls looking at him. He rolled his eyes and glared at them, making them disperse. "Now they are gone." he declared happily.

Ji Eun looked over. They were really gone.

"I only want to play with you." Mr Lollipop smiled. "I don't want anyone else other than you." he tucked a strand of hair behind Ji Eun's ear and settled down comfortably beside her on the grass.

Ji Eun smiled happily and played with her fingers. Her six year old mind suddenly thought of something horrifying.

"Mr lollipop..." she croaked. "Will you leave me like my parents? Leave me to find a better life?"

Mr Lollipop smiled assuringly. "Don't worry Mrs Lollipop." he laced his fingers with hers. "Mr and Mrs Lollipop will always and always be together."

"Promise?" Ji Eun asked.

"Promise." he laced his pinky with hers.

"I promise not to leave you forever and ever." Mr lollipop smiled.

"But what if I get married next time?" she asked puzzled.

Mr lollipop's face darkened. Being older, he didn't like the idea of her marrying someone else.

"Then don't marry someone else." he commanded. "Marry me."

Ji Eun blinked. "But I'm only six and you're only nine." she protested. "We are too young!"

Mr Lollipop laughed. "Not now Babo!" he chuckled. "Next time, when we grow up, I'll marry you and you'll become my Mrs Lollipop for real. Then we can be together forever and ever."

Ji Eun nodded happily and hugged her "future husband."

END OF FLASHBACK

FLASHBACK II

Ji Eun pouted as she sat down in a corner herself. Mr Lollipop had been called to the caretaker's office many times for the past few days and she was left alone for most of the times.

The other kids laughed at her, saying that her Mr Lollipop left her for good. She sighed and propped her head up with her elbows. *I don't know what I'll do if Mr Lollipop leaves me too.*

A smile appeared on her face as she remembered their promise. "But he won't." she said firmly.

Suddenly, Mr Lollipop was found standing in front of her, looking down at her with a sad expression. "You're back!" Ji Eun squealed.

"Why were you called to Aunt Eunjoo's room again?" she asked curiously. "You've been there so many times these few days! Haha I knew it Mr Lollipop you did something wrong right!"

"Mrs lollipop..." Mr Lollipop croaked.

Ji Eun sat straight. What was wrong?

"I'm being adopted." Mr Lollipop muttered.

That three words seemed to make her whole world crash into a million pieces. Adopted? Away from her?

"I tried persuading them to adopt you too, but they don't want to, saying they only want a son." Mr Lollipop continued. "I'm so sorry Mrs Lollipop, I'll come back for you when I grow up I promise I will!"

Mr Lollipop reached out to take Ji Eun's hand but she took a step back, tears falling from her eyes. "Don't promise me." she whispered. "Because you'll just break it again."

"Mrs lollipop..." Mr Lollipop croaked.

"I HATE YOU AND I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!" Ji Eun screamed and ran away.



When Mr lollipop left, Ji Eun locked herself in the room, refusing to send him off. Seeing him go will just make the pain worse.

Mr lollipop kept glancing at the windows and he saw a familiar face peeking out at him. His heart cringed as his new parents ushered him into the car.

"I will come back for you. I will." Mr Lollipop mouthed.

Ji Eun looked away, wiping away her tears. *I don't believe you. I don't want to believe anybody anymore. They will just leave me and hurt me again.*

END OF FLASHBACK II

Ji Eun was staring off into space as she recalled her past. Jonghyun looked at her worriedly. *She must have been frightened by that stupid fan.*

He bit his lip and watched her. *I'll protect you too. I promise.*

He followed Ji Eun out of the room as she trudged home. "And I'll never break my promise." he whispered.