Dead

Jonghyun the Genie

FLASHBACK

"Yeomseyo?" Ji Eun greeted. "Why did you call me out of the blue Aunt Eunjoo?" she smiled as she went to the corner to take the call.

"Did anything happen at the orphanage?" she asked alarmed.

"No it's not the orphanage Ji Eun." Aunt Eunjoo denied. "It's something concerning you."

Ji Eun raised her brows. "Me?" she gasped. "What happened?"

"We received news on your birth parents." Aunt Eunjoo confessed.

Ji Eun felt every word stab into her heart, unlocking it's way through the emotional wall she tried to build over the years.

"M-m-my parents?" Ji Eun stuttered, tears gathering at her eyes.

"I'm really sorry Ji Eun ah." Aunt Eunjoo apologized sadly. "But their names were on the passenger list of the Boeing 747 plane that just crashed in the middle of the sea from United States to Seoul."

"What?" Ji Eun whispered, clutching tightly at the phone.

"I'm really sorry Ji Eun ah, but only five survivors are found and none of them are your parents." Aunt Eunjoo continued. "I'm afraid.. They might be dead."

END OF FLASHBACK

"Ji Eun ah!" Jonghyun called softly, forcing Ji Eun to break out of her thoughts.

Ji Eun blinked. "Yeah?" she asked.

Jonghyun came nearer and watched her frown. "Are you alright Ji Eun ah?" he asked tenderly, trying to brush her hair out of her face but his hands passed through her.

"Who was it on the phone? What happened?" he asked concerned.

Ji Eun bit back a sob and looked into Jonghyun's eyes. "My parents.. They're dead." she whispered.

Jonghyun's eyes widened. *!*

She crumbled right in front of his eyes. "I don't know what to do Jonghyun!" she sobbed. "They are in the passenger list and they might be dead!"

Jonghyun winced and he muttered those magic words again. His human hands soon found themselves wrapped around Ji Eun's body and he patted her back in a soothing fashion.

"It's okay. Just cry it all out." he whispered.



Ji Eun didn't catch a single second of sleep and she laid on her bed with her eyes wide open, watching the sky become brighter as the sun rose.

Jonghyun had long since changed back into a genie but he stayed by her side, offering her a comforting presence.

He floated nearer and watched her puffy eyes. "Care to tell me the whole story?" he asked softly.

Ji Eun remained silent for a few seconds before finally nodding. "I was abandoned." she whispered.

FLASHBACK

"Umma Appa!" 6 year old Ji Eun smiled widely and waved her hands about. "Where is this place?"

Mrs Park patted her daughter's head affectionately. "This is a child care centre Ji Eun ah." she explained. "There are many other children here of your age and you can play with them and have lots of fun!"

Ji Eun's eyes widened in anticipation. "Really?" she squealed. "Then is Umma and Appa coming with me too?"

Mr and Mrs Park exchanged glances. "No my dear." Mr Park bent down till he was eye level with Ji Eun.

"Appa and Umma have more important things to tend to." he said. "We will come pick you up later okay?"

Ji Eun nodded. "Come back soon umma Appa!" she waved and ran into the arms of her care taker, joining in the fun with the other kids.

They never went back.

Ji Eun was left with her care taker for the next few days, crying her heart out when she didn't get to wait till her parents came.

Her care taker had no choice but to send her to the orphanage.

"Umma Appa..." Ji Eun cried as she leant against the window.

END OF FLASHBACK

(TO BE CONTINUED)