The Truth About Kai

You can forget me but I'll make you fall in love again.
Baekhyun drags Sehun's body harshly when the younger hysterically nudging him away. Persisting Baekhyun to let him storm back at the party.
 
"We're going home Sehun..You can't create a scene in there! Get back to your senses!"
 
"I WANT TO KNOW WHY HE DID THIS??? I WANT TO KNOW RIGHT AWAY HYUNG!! BECAUSE IT'S KILLING ME!!!!!!" Sehun screams.
 
"Sehun we don't know if that Kai is really Jongin or someone who just look like him! Let's go home tonight and I promise you tomorrow we'll go together to see if it's really Jongin. Please let's just- - - - "
 
"NOO!!!!!! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW I FEEL!!!! LET ME GO! HYUNG I NEED TO LET HIM KNOW I'M BACK! PLEASE HYUNG!!!!!!!!!!"
 
Baekhyun tightens his grip on Sehun's wrist.
 
"SEHUN! I'm getting tired of your stubbornness!!! For God's sake stop being a love sick seventeen year old stuck in time ten years ago for once!!!!!"
 
Baekhyun regrets immediately what comes out of his mouth after seeing the horror in his younger cousin's face. Sehun's body tenses but Baekhyun keep his grip on him.
 
"then why don't you just go hyung..Why did you keep on staying with me all this time anyway? Leave and never show your face to me ever again!!!!!!"
 
Baekhyun lost all the patience his holding and launch a fist on Sehun's face making the younger fall on the ground again.
 
"You !!!How can you easily tell me to get lost after I wasted all my life looking out for your goddamn life!" He's gasping and sniffing after tears rolls down to his face.
 
"Because you can't forgive yourself for being the reason of my godforsaken life!! If you didn't drag me to the street my brother woudn't have to die saving us both from that car! Jongin wouldn't have to lost his father! My parents wouldn't have to hate me! Jongin and I could have love each other freely!!! It's all your fault!"
 
"Sehun..Oh my God Sehun, I was just a kid like you. You think I would love to see the person who was more than a brother die infront of me?! When he was dying," Baekhyun stop for a second to breath in some air,choking from the clog in his throat and nose, "He told me to look after you ! he told me to be in his place as your hyung.." He plop down on the ground and cries on his palms covering his face,Sehun tears roll down uncontrollably.
 
"hyu---Hyung I'm sorry..I- - - I didn't mean what I said..Don't --- don't---- don't leave me too hyung..Everyone left..Sejong hyung,my parents,Jongin,they all abandoned me..I can't take it anymore hyung.." Sehun's wailing voice resonate in the air while he helplessly crawls on his knees towards Baekhyun. The older pull Sehun closer and embrace him tighter.
 
"I'm sorry I hit you and I'll always be here Sehun-ah..hyung will never leave you.." Baekhyun Sehun's hair as the younger cries get harder.
--------
 
Baekhyun wash his palms on his dreary and swollen face after tucking Sehun under the thick sheets. He's thankful he get to convince the younger to leave the place.He flickers the light off and slowly close the door. He's about to enter his own room when the door bell rings. He lazily approaches the intercom and surprise to see Luhani's face on the screen. He's unsure whether to face her or not. But he wants to know about Kai. He's dying to get answers too like Sehun.
 
"Hey Baekhyun.." A half-perk up and half-somber Luhani greets him. He opens the door wider and she walks in inside.
 
"Where's Sehun? Why did you guys left urgently? What happened to Sehun?"
 
"Ow..Sehun had another panic attack..You know..And he forgot to bring his medication and he doesn't want to cause a scene in the party so we left unattended..Sorry.." Baekhyun control his facial expression to make Luhani believe his made up lie.
 
"Is he ok now?" Luhani ask with concern,
 
"Hundred percent...He's asleep now..Sorry I can't wake him up to see you---"
 
"NO! Let him rest..Hooh! I thought something happened to him,I have to stay at the party and dying to get out of there but I can't let my sister feel down on her important event. So I rush like a speed of light after it ends."
 
"Sehun won't mind..I hope Kyungsoon will understand.."
 
"Kyungsoon and Kai will understand..Anyway I have to- - - "
 
"Wanna grab a cup of coffee?You're already here anyway.." Baekhyun cut her off before she can flee.
 
"Please.."
 
"Fine. After this you'll forget about the fake height inducing pills I gave you Ok?"
 
Baekhyun laugh and goes to the small kitchen to prepare coffee.Luhani follows.
 
"So,Kai looks nice.." He void his voice from hint of desperation to know who Kai is.
 
"Yeah he is..How sad you two haven't meet him personally."
 
"They look good together..Like they always have known each other since birth?" Baekhyun feels his heartbeats quickening.
 
"Right. Their match in heaven you know..Like God suddenly send an angel to us..He was like a little brother to us until Kyungsoon and Kai see each other more than that."
 
"Little brother?" Baekhyun fakes a laugh.
 
"My parents adopted Kai ten years ago.."
 
Baekhyun shut his eyes when he almost drops the cup his holding.
 
"He's adopted? Not Kyunsoon's childhood friend? Or College friend?"
 
"My dad had an accident in Japan nine or ten years ago? Anyway, he was in a restaurant in Japan. And there was a huge earthquake,you know how that place suffers from  natural calamities,any ways,dad was stuck in the elevator alone at the second floor. His heart tighten and can barely breath,he thought that day would be his death. Suddenly the door was forcefully opened. Kai's face showed and saw my dad's dying state. To make the long story short,he save my dad.."
 
Baekhyun is confuse but he doesn't make it obvious to Luhani.
 
"But,just when my dad was out of the elevator,the building shook again and before Kai could get himself out,the elevator dropped on the ground. Dad was so shock he passed out. When he gained consciousness at the hospital,the first words came out of dad's mouth was 'where's the boy'. We looked for him,luckily he was alive but he was in coma,doctor said he won't make it. Dad didn't gave up and did everything to save the boy's life. After one year,for some miracle,Kai recovered and slowly gained consciousness..but he couldn't remember a thing? he forgotten everything,to speak,to walk,everything."
 
Baekhyun can't help himself to shiver at what he just found out.
 
"We don't even know his name. We advertise his face on tv stations,papers,everywhere to find his parents. But after two years of waiting,no one came to claim the boy. That's when we decided to adopt and him. He's named Kai cause dad thought the moment Kai opened that elevator door,dad was given a second life to this world.  Kai means to open or world or something. And we brought him with us back in Korea."
 
"Haven't anyone recognized him since?"
 
"Well, one day,a lady came to us and claimed to be his mother,funny cause we thought from the start he was Japanese,but his mother was a Korean..And told us we can keep his son. Imagine? How can a mother just gave his sick son like a puppy? But my parents was too happy to have Kai with us."
 
Baekhyun rubs both his temples from headache.
 
"Are you ok?"
 
"Yeah..I just feel bad for him..His mother I mean.." He lied. It all make sense to him now. How the pieces fits together like a jigsaw puzzle. 
 
"So..until now he doesn't remembers anything from his past? "
 
"The doctor said it's a permanent loss of memory..His memory was back to nothing..His brain was like that of an infant starting to collect new ones. It was a miracle he was alive..And Kai didn't have any desire to know about his past too.."
 
Baekhyun clenched his fists under the table at Luhani's last words.
 
"His real father came to meet him too and like what his mother told Kai and us,there's no worth keeping or remembering memory he needs to know. He got no constant friends or acquaintances cause his mother and him used to jump from place to another since he was a kid."
 
THAT'S A LIE!. Baekhyun wanted to yell loudly but he controls himself.
 
"Kai and everyone seemed to believe..But,I have my doubts.."
 
Baekhyun raise his eyes to look at Luhani with his breathing hanging on his chest.
 
"When we found him at the hospital,the nurse gave us his belongings.. There was a ring among his stuffs."
 
Baekhyun's breathing stops.
 
"With an J&S carved underneath the ring..And his parents refused to tell us what his real name was. They just said his new name Kai fits him better..And couldn't explain what the ring on Kai's stuff was for. Sometimes I get this funny thought that Kai had an unpleasant past that his parents was too much happy it was forgotten by their son completely. What do you think Baekhyun?"
 
Baekhyun just stares at her. Should he tell Luhani the truth or not?
 
"Hello?!!!!!!! Earth to non-earth creature elf Baekhyun!"
 
Baekhyun blink rapidly several time as Luhani's snapping fingers shove infront of his face.
 
"What were you thinking?!..You're spacing out at my story telling?!!!!"
 
"NO!! I was just so carried away.."
 
"YEAH! kai could make millions selling his story you know..And I won't mind playing as Kyungsoon.."
 
"That would make the film tops the list of non-class- tasteless movie of millennium because of your appearance!..I wonder why did I fall to your another scheming lies..If I know,that story about Kai is nothing but a fruit of your crazy mind!"
 
"Jeez!! Byun Hyun! Just when I thought you'd take me seriously this once..Grrrrrrrr!" Luhani grits her teeth and growls at Baekhyun.
 
"You wouldn't like it if I take you seriously Luhani.."
 
Luhani falls into silence,her eyes shifted into a new emotion making Baekhyun forgets about the nerve wrecking story of Kai.
 
Luhani slightly shakes her head as if awaken from a dream and pretends to stab Baekhyun with the spoon she's holding.
 
"Luhani??!! YAH!!! I'm older than you!! You're so disrespectful that's why you stop growing!"
 
"tch..You're no taller than me anyway.." Baekhyun's thankful the split of a second awkwardness popped in the thin air.
 
"It's getting late and I need to get back to the hotel." Luhani abruptly stands up and heads to the door.Baekhyun following behind.
 
" I plan to see my Sehunnie but how frustrating to be stuck with the living-disaster YOU instead.." Luhani says loudly as she' standing outside the door.
 
"The feeling is mutual.." Baekhyun replies sticking his tongue out.
 
"Hmf! BADbye to you!" Luhani rolls her eyes and marches away.
 
"Yeah sweet dreams TOO!" Baekhyun watches her fading figure. Sighs deeply as nothing left of her in the hallway and closes the door.
 
He's about to head toward his room when he hears a muffled sob nearby. He opens Sehun's room but it's empty. Then a crumpled figure on the veranda caught his sight.
 
OH GOD..