Angel

Brain

Jessica woke up when her phone rang. The blonde girl groaned and reached over to her bedside, onto the table where her phone was. She did this while still having her eyes closed, she answered the phone, "Hello?" she snapped. 

 

"Someone's grumpy." she heard the familiar voice.

 

Jessica sat up and rubbed her eyes, "Oh, Donghae?"

 

Donghae chuckled on the other side of the phone, "I woke you up, didn't I?"

 

Jessica looked at the time, 1 PM, good thing it was Saturday. "Yes, you did, but I'm up now, what's up?" Jessica replied.

 

"Let's go out for a date today." Donghae suggested.

 

Jessica bit her lip, she had to tutor Yuri today. "Uhm.. Hae, I have to tutor today."

 

Donghae couldn't help but feel disappointed, "Oh, really?"

 

Jessica sighed, "Sorry, but you know my situation.."

 

Donghae nodded over the phone, even though he knew Jessica couldn't see him, "I know, I know. It's alright. You're not tutoring tomorrow, are you?"

 

"I'm not."

 

Donghae smiled, "Okay, we'll go out tomorrow, then. Have fun tutoring!"

 

"Sunday it is." She smiled. "Bye, Hae."

 

"Bye."

 

Jessica hung up the phone right as Krystal ran into her room, "Jessica! Let's go, I want to see Yuri!" Krystal exclaimed, jumping onto Jessica's bed.

 

Jessica groaned, "Ugh.. You were better when you were less excited and more tired.."

 

Krystal smiled widely, "Now I'm excited and refreshed, so get up!"

 

"Alright, alright." Jessica said, dragging her body out the bed and going into the bathroom where she brushed her hair and teeth. Memories of Yuri brushing Jessica's hair ran through the girl's mind. In the end, Jessica found herself smiling. She shook her head to get rid of the flashbacks and continued to get ready.

 

"Jessica, eat this!" Krystal said, throwing Jessica a piece of bread.

 

Jessica caught the bread at the last second. She eyed it.

 

"Hurry, Jessica!" Krystal exclaimed.

 

"Krys, what is this?" Jessica asked.

 

"Bread." Krystal replied.

 

Jessica widened her eyes, "This black, rock-hard rectangle is a piece of bread?!"

 

Yes, indeed, the piece of bread was burnt. 

 

Krystal giggled, "The toaster might have been on too long."

 

Jessica rolled her eyes, tossing the bread into the trash, "No, really?" she asked sarcastically.

 

Krystal, who didn't understand the sarcasm, nodded, "Really."

 

Jessica smiled at Krystal's innocence as she ate an apple, gathering her stuff for tutoring and placing them into her bag. Jessica took her phone from her room, placing it into the back pocket of her shorts.

 

Since it was hot out, Jessica decided to wear jean shorts and a white shirt with a tank top underneath. Jessica slipped the back pack straps around her arms, throwing the apple away, "Ready, Krys?" she asked, holding her hand out to Krystal who nodded excitedly.

 

As usual, the two girls began to walk to Yuri's house in the hot weather.

 

Krystal pouted and began to walk slowly, "Jessica, I'm tired."

 

Jessica sighed and bent down in front of Krystal, taking her back pack off and holding it by the straps with her hand. The girl was nearly ten years old, but Jessica had a soft spot for her younger sibling. "Hop on."

 

Krystal easily hopped onto Jessica's back, "Yay! Piggy back!" Krystal exclaimed.

 

Jessica smiled softly as she continued to walk with Krystal on her back.

 

 

 

The front door of Yuri's house opened, revealing a smiling tan girl, "Sica! Krystal!" Yuri greeted.

 

Jessica smiled and walked in, bending down so Krystal can get off. Krystal jumped off and turned, hugging Yuri.

 

"Sorry for falling asleep yesterday." Krystal apologized.

 

Yuri smiled and patted Krystal's head, "It's okay. I could tell you were tired." she giggled.

 

Jessica, who was exhausted from carrying the nine year old girl, went to the kitchen for a glass of water. She saw Mrs. Kwon cooking lunch for her family. Mrs. Kwon smiled, seeing Jessica. Jessica bowed, "Good afternoon, Mrs. Kwon."

Mrs. Kwon smiled, "Good afternoon. Oh my, you look tired, what happened?"

 

Jessica huffed out a breath, making her bangs flip slightly. Grabbing a glass of water, Jessica sat down, "I carried Krystal all the way here." she said before chugging down the glass of water.

 

Mrs. Kwon widened her eyes and walked over, "Calm down with the drinking, you're going to run out of breath." she said in amusement.

 

Jessica only smiled and placed the glass in the sink, "So, what are you cooking?"

 

Suddenly, the two girls heard loud laughing and giggling. Mrs. Kwon raised an eyebrow, as did Jessica. Their thoughts were interrupted when Yuri and Krystal ran into the kitchen.

 

Krystal was on Yuri's back, and Yuri seemed to carry her without a problem. Jessica widened her eyes, didn't Yuri feel the least bit tired?

 

Mrs. Kwon only smiled at the two, "Now, Yuri, don't run around the house, you might trip. Especially if you have Krystal on your back."

 

Yuri nodded, "Okay." she responded, walking over to the table where Jessica was currently sitting at, placing Krystal on a chair as she sat beside Jessica.

 

Jessica raised an eyebrow, seeing that Yuri was perfectly fine, not out of breath at all.

"What?" Yuri asked, seeing Jessica look at her.

 

"Aren't you tired?" Jessica asked.

 

Yuri shrugged and shook her head, "Nope."

 

Krystal smiled, "Yuri is better at piggy back rides."

 

Jessica rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, pouting slightly, "You're just too heavy."

 

Yuri furrowed her eyebrows, "Krystal isn't heavy."

 

Krystal giggled, "See? I'm not heavy, you just are weak!"

 

"Hey!" Jessica yelled out.

 

Krystal jumped out of her seat, grabbing Yuri's hand and running away from the angry Jessica.

 

"That girl..." Jessica mumbled to herself.

 

Mrs. Kwon giggled at the sight of the three girls messing around, "Yuri really likes you two."

 

Jessica shrugged, "I guess."

 

"You know, she's always been like this."

 

Jessica raised an eyebrow, "Like what?"

 

"This happy, go-lucky girl." Mrs. Kwon answered.

 

Jessica smiled, "Really?" She didn't really know much about the Yuri before the accident.

 

Mrs. Kwon nodded, "Before the accident, she was always nice to everyone. Even to people who didn't like her. She never got angry or sad."

 

Jessica stayed quiet, letting Mrs. Kwon talk.

 

"When the accident happened, I didn't know what to do. Yuri was like the sun of the family... Without her it was dark, quiet, gloomy." Mrs. Kwon said, tears starting to form in her eyes.

 

Jessica gestured for Mrs. Kwon to sit down.

 

Mrs. Kwon smiled and sat beside Jessica, who had held her hand softly like a daughter would do to her mother.

 

"Without her for eleven years.. it was horrible, to say the least.. But, we never lost hope. Now.. sure, she may need to catch up on some things, but she's a bright girl, she'll learn quick. The doctor told me that she's progressing three times as fast than other patients with the same problem."

 

Jessica widened her eyes, "Three times?"

 

Mrs. Kwon nodded, "Amazing, right?"

 

Jessica nodded, agreeing.

 

"Oh, the doctor also told me you date his son, Donghae."

 

Jessica widened her eyes, "You know Mr. Lee?"

 

Mrs. Kwon smiled, "Yes, we know Doctor Lee."

 

"Oh.." was all Jessica said.

 

Yuri walked into the kitchen, stopping midway as she saw Jessica holding her mother's hand, while her mother had tears in her eyes, "Mommy? What's wrong? Are you okay?" Yuri asked, bombarding her mother with questions.

 

Mrs. Kwon smiled, making Yuri stop mid-sentence. "I'm fine, Yuri-ah, thank you."

 

Yuri frowned, "Then why is there water in your eyes?" Yuri asked.

 

Mrs. Kwon giggled, "They're called tears, Yuri. But it's nothing, you should start your lesson."

 

Yuri gave up trying to figure out why her mother was like that. Mrs. Kwon got up and mouthed a 'Thank you' to Jessica, who smiled and nodded. Jessica turned her attention to Yuri, "Let's start the first lesson for 3rd Grade, yes?"

 

After they managed to get through the first lesson plan, Yuri grabbed Jessica's wrist as the blonde girl went to find Krystal. Jessica widened her eyes as Yuri made her sit back down, "Let's do another lesson."

 

For an odd reason, Jessica found her heart beating faster than usual when Yuri grabbed her. Jessica shrugged it off as she eyed Yuri, "Are you sure?"

 

Yuri nodded, "I can do it, I believe in myself." she said confidently.

 

Jessica smiled and pulled her wrist away from Yuri's grip, "Alright."

 

The girls managed to finish three lesson plans before Yuri got bored and ran off with Krystal. Mrs. Kwon was quietly watching the whole time, seeing how the two girls acted around each other. The elder woman would smiled every time Jessica would laugh out loud because of Yuri's silly mistake while Yuri grinned sheepishly.

 

Mrs. Kwon's smile would widen when Jessica would knuckle Yuri's forehead, "Silly." she would said softly and quietly. Yuri would pout playfully and they would continue the lesson, having silly moments with each other in between.

 

Mrs. Kwon smiled to herself as she sat at the table alone.

'You are like an angel to my daughter, Jessica Jung.'