A Plate!

Brain


"Get the doctor!" Mrs. Kwon ordered Mr. Kwon, who got up quickly and ran out the door.

 

"Mommy?" Yuri called out softly, her voice has become more huskier over the years.

 

"Yes, honey, it's mommy." Mrs. Kwon said softly, holding Yuri's hand.

 

Yuri looked around, "Where am I?" she asked in a kid-like manner.

 

At that moment, Mr. Kwon returned with Doctor Lee following. Doctor Lee told Yuri to sit up for him. Yuri slowly sat up from her sleeping position, she frowned, "My tummy hurts." she whined, holding her stomach.

 

Doctor Lee smiled softly, "You are probably hungry, we'll get you some food later."

 

Yuri brightened up immediately showing her pearly white teeth that haven't been used much for the past 11 years. Mr. Kwon's eyes twinkled as he saw his not-so-little daughter smiling again.

 

 

After doing a couple tests on Yuri, Doctor Lee turned to Mrs. Kwon, "There isn't much we can do now, it's up to you guys to teach her things she needs to learn as a seventeen year old girl. But, please, don't rush anything, she might feel overwhelmed. Be patient, and take your time with her. She's a bright and smart girl, I can see that, pressuring her to learn things will not help."

 

Mr and Mrs. Kwon nodded, "Okay, we'll be slow with her."

 

Doctor Lee smiled before gesturing to the door, "You guys may go now, please check out at the counter."

 

Opening the door to the house, Yuri held onto her father's arm, still not used to walking yet. Mr. Kwon helped Yuri into the house as she looked around the familiar place.

 

She then looked down at her mother, who was in front of her, "Mommy, you got shorter." she stated bluntly.

 

Mrs. Kwon laughed slightly, "No, honey, you grew taller."

 

Yuri pointed to herself, "Me? Taller? Really?" she asked.

 

Mrs. Kwon smiled, "Yeah, really." she confirmed.

 

Yuri smiled widely, "Awesome!" she said, holding two thumbs up.

 

Mr. Kwon chuckled and slowly began to lead Yuri around the house, giving the girl a familiar sense to the building. Finally, they entered the room. Yuri squealed as she saw all the Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse dolls placed neatly on her bed and shelves around the light blue bedroom. Mr. Kwon smiled, knowing how obsessed Yuri was with the dolls, leading her over to the bed, where she collapsed and hugged the biggest Mickey Doll to her body, wrapping her legs around the doll.

 

Mr. Kwon smiled at his daughter, seeing her smiling and hugging the dolls. He clapped his hands, earning Yuri's attention, "Alright, I bet you're hungry, let's go eat, what do you think?" he said, smiling.

 

Yuri smiled back and nodded eagerly, "Let's eat!" she exclaimed, jumping out the bed without a fault.

 

Mr. Kwon widened his eyes, "You can walk by yourself?" thinking that Yuri wasn't going to be walking so easily after being in bed for eleven years.

 

Yuri nodded innocently, "Daddy, I'm six. Remember?" she asked.

 

Mr. Kwon sighed, knowing that his daughter doesn't know what happened, "Yeah, you're six, now come on, we need to eat." he said, gesturing to the door.

 

Yuri nodded and skipped to the kitchen happily, where her mom was cooking noodles for the family to eat, "Ah, Yuri, there you are, did you have fun with Minnie and Mickey?" Mrs. Kwon asked, smiling when she saw Yuri's happy face.

 

"Yes. I had fun, but I'm hungry," she pouted.

 

"The noodles are almost done, why don't you set the table for us, remember how to do it?" Mrs. Kwon requested, remembering that Yuri always set the tables for them before the accident.

 

Yuri nodded slowly, "A pair of chopsticks for each of us.. and a spoon for each of us?" Yuri asked hesitantly.

 

Mrs. Kwon nodded, "You're forgetting one important thing."

 

"Really?"

 

Mrs. Kwon nodded, "What are we going to eat the noddles in?"

 

"Oh! A plate!"

 

Mrs. Kwon couldn't help but burst out laughing, as well as Mr. Kwon.

 

Yuri stood there quietly, "What?" she asked.

 

"Yuri, do we eat noodles in a plate?" Mr. Kwon asked, holding his laughter in.

 

Yuri understood it, "Ohh.... I meant to say a bowl." she muttered sheepishly, scratching her head.

 

Mr and Mrs. Kwon laughed softly, and soon, Yuri began to giggle along, "Alright, go set the table, Yuri." Mr. Kwon said, pointing to the dining table. 

 

"Okay!" Yuri chirped in response, getting all the right supplies and setting them neatly on the table.

 

She suddenly stopped and looked around in confusion. Mr. Kwon saw this, "What's wrong?"

 

Yuri creased her forehead, "Why do I feel heavier? And why is everything so small now?" Yuri asked, looking at her body then at the tables and chairs around her.

 

Mr. Kwon looked at Mrs. Kwon, asking with his eyes if he should tell Yuri about the accident. Mrs. Kwon, who got the message, nodded. Yuri looked at her father in confusion, seeing the little silent conversation between her parents.

 

Mr. Kwon turned to Yuri, "Here, why don't we eat first, then I'll tell you what happened." he suggested.

 

After finishing the bowl of noodles, Mr. Kwon cleared his throat, "Yuri." he called.

 

"Yes, daddy?" Yuri responded, finishing the noodles in .

 

"You're not actually six."

 

Yuri got confused, "Huh?" she asked.

 

"You're seventeen."

 

Yuri held out her fingers, trying to count to seventeen, but failing since she only had ten fingers. "That's more than my fingers!" she pointed out.

 

Mr. Kwon nodded, "Yes, more than your fingers." He sighed before continuing, "Yuri, you got into a car accident."

 

"I did?" Yuri asked, clearly not remembering anything.

 

Again, Mr. Kwon nodded, "Your body continued to grow, but your brain didn't." 

 

Slowly but surely, the girl with the six year old brain was beginning to understand everything. "So.. I'm a big girl now?" was all Yuri said.

 

Mr. Kwon nodded, "Yes, but you still need to be taught a lot of things. Your body may be seventeen, but your brain is still six."

 

Yuri scratched her head, "But.. that's... one... two.. three..." she said, trailing off as she used her fingers to get to seventeen from six. Yuri held up ten fingers, "That's more than this!" she exclaimed with wide eyes.

 

"I need to learn more than ten years?" Yuri asked.

 

Mr. Kwon nodded slowly.

 

Suddenly, Yuri erupted in tears, "That's too much, daddy!" she cried.

 

Mrs. Kwon panicked and ran over to Yuri's side, rubbing her back, "Shhh.. honey, it's okay. Don't cry. Mommy and daddy will help you through it."

 

Yuri sniffed, "Really?" she asked. Mrs. Kwon nodded, "We'll help you through all of it."

 

Looking at her parents, Yuri used the back of her hand to wipe her tears.

 

"Thanks mommy. Thanks daddy. You guys are the best."