Introduction

Brain

"Yuri! Yuri! Look out!" Mrs. Kwon screamed frantically, seeing her 6 year old daughter walk into the street, going after a bouncy ball. Not looking both ways, the younger girl carelessly walked into the middle of the road, unaware of the car driving down the road. The driver frantically tried to press on the breaks after seeing the little girl, but he was a second late, hitting the little girl unconscious. The driver ran out and over to the little girl.

 

"Yuri!" Mrs. Kwon yelled, running over to the little body that was now in a pool of blood. The driver took out his phone and dialed the ambulance. Within minutes, the familiar white and red truck pulled up, letting out two men with a stretcher. They placed the girl into the stretcher, the mother crying. The driver kept apologizing over and over, about how sorry he was, about how he would pay for Yuri's medical bills.


At the hospital, Mrs. Kwon was in tears as Mr. Kwon held her steady, getting the report of Yuri's injuries. "We've managed to save her." the doctor started.

 

Mrs. and Mr. Kwon breathed a sigh of relief.

 

"But.." The doctor continued, making the parent's hearts stop.

 

"The car hit a pretty sensitive part of her brain. So, her brain has stopped working."

 

Mrs. Kwon gasped, "Doesn't that mean she'll be dead if her brain doesn't work?"

 

The doctor nodded, "Yes, but we've managed to hook her body up to the computer that will act as her brain as her real one will heal over time."

 

"What does this mean?" Mr. Kwon asked, wanting to know more about his daughter's health.

 

"This means your daughter will age physically, but not mentally."

 

Mrs. Kwon wiped her tears, "So, this means that Yuri's body will age, but she will still have the mind of a 6 year old?"

 

The doctor nodded, "Exactly."

 

"And when will she wake up?" Mr. Kwon asked.

 

The doctor sighed and shook his head slowly, "We don't have an exact time, but it might be awhile.."

 

Mrs. Kwon broke out in tears again, "Can we see her?" she asked, sniffing.

 

The doctor nodded and opened the door to Yuri's room, "Of course, take as long as you need."

 

The parents walked in, seeing their beloved daughter in the hospital bed, head wrapped in bandages that were slightly soaked with blood. Wires connecting to her temples that led to some sort of machine that gave slight beeps every now and then.

 

"Yuri.." Mrs. Kwon cried as she held the tiny, cold hands of her daughter.

 

Mr. Kwon knew he had to stay strong for his wife, but he couldn't. Not after seeing his daughter like this. It hurt him, knowing that Yuri was in pain.

 

Every single day, Yuri's parents would visit Yuri, holding her hand, caressing her face, wanting their little girl to wake up and give them the happy, dorky smile she would give them all the time.

 

And everyday, Mrs. Kwon will say the same thing, "Yuri-ah, please wake up." she would say before Mr. Kwon would have to force her to leave Yuri for the night.

 

Meanwhile, all Yuri could do was nothing. She didn't know anything about her situation at all.

 

Years past, and Yuri grew older- or should I say, Yuri's body grew older. She became taller, skinnier, prettier. Before the Kwon parents realized it, Yuri was already 17.

 

Mrs. Kwon wiped a tear as she stared at her beautiful daughter, holding her hand, "Yuri-ah, you won't believe how pretty you've gotten."

 

Mr. Kwon joined his wife, holding Yuri's other hand, "You're indeed beautiful. You got it from your mother." he smiled sadly, using his thumb to caress the back of Yuri's cold hand.

 

Suddenly, Mr. Kwon felt movement. He stopped and froze. Mrs. Kwon raised an eyebrow, "What's wrong?"

 

Again, Mr. Kwon felt movement. He unwrapped his hand from Yuri. Then, he saw Yuri's thumb twitch.

 

He gasped, "Yuri?" Yuri fluttered her eyes open, squinting as she adjusted her eyesight.

 

Mrs. Kwon clamped a hand over to contain her sobs.

 

"Mommy? Daddy?"