Parents?

Brain

Yuri leaned her head on Jessica's head as they watched TV together on the couch. Krystal was already asleep on the other couch in the living room, leaving only Jessica and Yuri up. Mr. and Mrs. Kwon were at work still.

 

"Sica." Yuri called.

 

Jessica mentally prepared herself for the question that Yuri was going to ask, "Yes?" she replied, almost painfully.

 

"Does everyone have parents?" Yuri asked.

 

Jessica looked up at Yuri, "What do you mean?"

 

"Does everyone have a mommy and daddy like I do?" Yuri asked again.

 

Jessica sighed, "Of course, if you didn't have a mommy and daddy, you wouldn't be alive right now." Jessica replied.

 

"But.. on TV, I saw a kid with only a mommy, no daddy." Yuri stated.

 

Jessica continued to wonder how Yuri managed to find those types of channels on TV. "Sometimes, you don't have both parents."

 

"Why not?" Yuri asked.

 

"They leave sometimes.." Jessica said, her voice trailing off at the end.

 

"Do you have a mommy?" Yuri asked.

 

Jessica nodded weakly. Yes, she had a mom, but her mom was busy working most of the time. The blonde girl braced herself for the next question.

 

"Do you have a daddy?" 

 

Jessica stayed silent as she tried to control her emotions in front of Yuri. Her father was always a sensitive subject to her.

 

"Sica.." Yuri called and looked down, seeing Jessica almost in tears.

 

"You can cry." Yuri said as if she were giving permission.

 

Jessica broke down in soft sobs. Yuri hugged Jessica around the waist, letting Jessica bury her face into Yuri's shoulder. Jessica hugged the tan girl around the neck and continued to cry softly, not wanting to wake the peacefully sleeping Krystal.

 

Yuri felt her arms moving by themselves, her arms ended up rubbing Jessica's back in comfort. Jessica pulled out from the hug slowly and wiped her tears. To Jessica's surprise, as well as Yuri's, Yuri's hand found their way to Jessica's cheek and wiped the one lonely tear off her cheek. "You missed a spot." Yuri smiled cheekily.

 

Jessica smiled back at Yuri and sniffed, "Thanks, Yuri." 

 

Yuri smiled, "No problem, Sica."

 

Jessica huffed her cheek and sat herself back on the couch besides Yuri, Jessica turned slightly and faced Yuri.

 

"Want me to tell you about my dad?"

 

"He was a great dad. Just like your own dad." Jessica started, smiling to Yuri. Her smile turned sad as she recalled the happy memories.

 

"He used to push me on the swings whenever I went to the park. I would always complain he would be too soft, but I never knew that he just didn't want me to fall off the swings. He cared that much for me. Every night he would even check under my bed and in my closet for 'monsters'."

 

Yuri listened intently to Jessica, knowing that it wasn't the right time to talk and interrupt.

 

"I was five." Jessica said sadly. Yuri waited for her to continue.

 

"I heard him and my mom arguing at each other; screaming at each other. Krystal wasn't born yet, she was still in my mom's stomach."

 

Yuri widened her eyes, not being able to keep her comment in, "Your mom ate her?"

 

That managed to make Jessica laugh out loud, despite the sensitive topic, "No Yuri, she was pregnant. You'll learn more about that some other time."

 

Yuri nodded and rolled her hand, gesturing for Jessica to continue.

 

Jessica cleared , "So.. my dad.. he started to pack his bags.. I begged him to stay. I was crying. He looked down at me and told me he loved me, kissed my forehead, and left.."

 

Yuri began to tear up herself, she couldn't imagine her parents fighting. She didn't like the thought of her father leaving her family. It was overwhelming. Yuri let the tears out and held her hands out, "Stop. I don't want to hear anymore, Sica." she ordered.

 

Jessica furrowed her eyes, seeing Yuri crying through her own tears, "Yuri..." Yuri shook her head, "Sica, stop. Stop it." she said, letting the tears out.

 

Jessica moved closer and hugged Yuri immediately. The two girls cried on each other's shoulders. "You're tough, Sica. You know that?" Yuri said through her tears.

 

"Really?" Jessica asked.

 

Yuri nodded slowly, "I can't imagine my daddy leaving me.. I've never heard my mommy and daddy yell at each other. It must be scary."

 

Jessica pulled out of the hug and looked into Yuri's eyes and smiled softly, "It was scary."

 

Yuri sniffed and stared at Jessica.

 

Jessica leaned upwards and gave Yuri a gentle kiss on the forehead, "Thanks, Yuri."

 

Yuri cocked her head, "For what, Sica?"

 

"For letting me tell my story to someone. I've never told anyone but you. Not even Krystal."

 

It was true. Jessica had always changed the subject when Krystal brought up her father, not wanting to make the little girl sad. Yuri widened her eyes, "Really?"

 

Jessica nodded, "Don't tell anyone." she said.

 

Yuri held her pinky out, "I promise."

 

Jessica smiled and intertwined her pinky with Yuri before stamping their thumbs together, "Keep your promise, Yuri."

 

 

"Don't worry, Sica. I'll keep my promise. For you."

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs. Kwon arrived home first, she heard the living room TV on. "Girls?" she called out. She peeked her head into the living room and saw all the girls asleep. What caught her attention was that Yuri and Jessica were hugging each other on one couch, Krystal on the other.

 

Mrs. Kwon smiled at the scene, it looked cute, the way Yuri and Jessica were cuddling. 'Well.. might as well let them sleep here. It's a Friday any ways.' Mrs. Kwon thought. She saw Jessica's phone on the coffee table.


Taking the phone, Mrs. Kwon texted her mother saying that she was staying at Yuri's house.

 

Mrs. Kwon took a couple of blankets and pillows out and tucked the kids to sleep before falling asleep herself..

 

 

Jessica let out a small smile as she continued to sleep.

 

'Thanks, Yuri-ah.'