Chapter 54: Paradise (The End)

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Powerless.

Helplessness. 

Weakness. 

Even as much as you tell yourself otherwise, as much as you want to fight it, your mind just wants it all to stop. Your body becomes tired that it hurts every part of you to just to strive on, just to keep awake.

And for what? 

Myungsoo pushed himself up from the ground, his arms shaking as he tried to lift his upper body. He rolled on his back and shut his eyes tightly as he tried to ease the throbbing headache and his jelly limbs. 

He opened his eyes and was greeted by blinding flashes of white and blue lights. He thought for a moment that he was dreaming when he saw the streams of blue and white shooting across the midnight skies. Then, he heard people screaming his name as he tried to regain his senses. He opened his eyes only to find a pair of brown ones staring at him, moving as she tried to get him up. 

"Myung, get up!" Shinyi ordered him and with Sungjong's help they pulled him up. Casey and Henry hobbled beside them as Myungsoo went back on his feet. He stumbled slightly and felt so light headed that Sungjong held him. Another flash of light crossed the sky and everyone gasped in utter horror at the sight before them. 

"Julia." Myungsoo whispered trying to break free from Sungjong's grip but only to stumble and falling forward. "She's in danger." his voice although weak but was frantic. The lights in the sky flashing across his face, making him wince from the sudden bright lights. He could feel his heart thumping against his rib cage. His mind immediately switched to autopilot. 

He was blinded by rage, blinded by fear and he let his body take over. 

Myungsoo knew he can't loose Julia, it would be like loosing Haeyi all over again. The thought that he could've stopped Eunhae from killing his baby sister, it haunts him but a lot lesser now. 

He couldn't make that same mistake again. He can't loose the person he love twice. 

Sungjong grabbed his arm. "No." 

Myungsoo looked at him, trying to comprehend what he was saying. It took him a few seconds to finally realize that he was stopping him, his fingers dug into his shirt preventing him from leaving his spot. "No?" he repeated, his voice neither angry nor surprised. It was just a simple single syllable that was the deal breaker. 

"No." Sungjong said firmly, his eyes dark. "It's too risky." 

"To hell with risk! We are in the middle of a war so if you are going to pull that crap on me." he scoffed at the younger one. "You are gladly mistaken. Julia and Hoya are dying. I can't afford to loose Julia, the woman I love because of you." 

He was about to yank his arm away from the younger but the younger one was firmed. "That's the problem with you." Sungjong shouted at him but Myungsoo was unphased, no longer surprised by the youngest's temper. "You never, ever listen. You always believe you are some independent, always flying solo boy that doesn't require our help. Yes, you can deal with mind control. Yes, you have telepathy. But like you said, we are in a damn war. A war that is full of uncertainty and it all depends how we play our card. The cards are on the table, they've gotten what they wanted and right now, you can't go alone to save them." 

"I could explain it to you but the longer we stand here, I am afraid..." Sungjong tore away from Myungsoo's face and looked at the flashing lights. "That the Master and the alien race are the least of our worries." 

----

Stop. 

Please.

Stop.

No.

Appa.

Omma.

Help.

No.

Stop.

Hot.

Cold.

Fire.

Ice. 

Good.

Bad.

Fight.

Sleep.

Stop.

No.

Yes.

You want this. 

No.

Lies.

Truth.

Power. 

They say that when you die, your soul leaves your body and inhabits the unborn. 

They also say that your soul is destined for greatness.

They say that while you are unable to remember your past life, there are some characteristics from your past life that show in your present life: actions or words. It's there in the very depth of your subconscious mind. 

Sometimes, it is also known as deja vu.

The soul is the very essence in human life: something like a battery in a toy, giving it life. They say the brain and the heart are the ones that keeps you alive, keeps you going. They are wrong.

What's the point of having those two organs working when you don't have a soul?

Every soul is destined for something, destined to help the human race to achieve something in their life. If they don't, the soul will never rest until they fulfilled the one thing they're destined to do. Hence, the term reincarnation. 

Stop.

You want this, Hwayoung.

No, it hurts. 

Stop fighting it. Give in. 

There are some people that have the gift or the ability in dwelling in the spirit world. It can be a gift and a curse, depends on how you look at it and how much time you spend time in the spirit world. Because once you establish that link with the spirit world, you tend to dwell in it a lot more. You tend to 'escape' to that alternate reality. 

Once you do that, you will loose touch with your sanity and with the living. 

Hwayoung.

No, help. 

Stop fighting it. You are going to bring greatness.

No.

You want to bring revenge to the ones that killed your parents, the ones that killed your friends. 

No.

Yes, you do. I can feel it. I am your soul. You were always born to fight. How do you think you are able to pick up martial arts so quickly? You are a warrior. You are destined for greatness. Are you going to let this Master take you for his own? 

No, stop. Hoya... 

You are tired. Sleep, my child. 

Fight... Stop. No. 

Rest, Hwayoung. You've fought long enough. 

The soul is willing but the flesh is weak. 

Sleep and let your soul take over. You've fought a good fight. 

Almost instantly, the pain stopped. Julia stopped tossing, stopped moving and the electricity and burning sensation that ran through her veins ceased and she felt normal. 

She actually felt complete. 

Her eyes opened and she took in a deep breath, the oxygen filling her lungs and her lips curled into a smile. 

She felt powerful and she never felt more alive. She could feel the gene pumping through her very core and the burning passion form its immaculate power burning form it. 

Julia took in her surroundings and found a perculiar looking hooded creature smiling evilly at her. 

"Hwayoung." 

She turned around to see Hoya, his head hung low, his hair covering his face. She panicked and she turned to look at the Master who was looking at her menacingly. 

"Hoya! Stay with me. Please!" 

"I am... So tired." 

"No. No. You can't die!" 

"I'm sorry. I am so tired and in so much pain." 

"No."

"Jules, I am sorry." 

She felt fresh tears formed in her eyes as she watched helplessly as her brother's shackles that bound his arms and legs disappeared and he fell down to the ground with a thud, his black locks swept on his face. 

"I love you." Was the last thing she heard from him and she was greeted with silence.

She screamed in both anguish and hit the glass panel. "Let me out! Let me out!" Hitting the case but Richard Hon cackled at her. 

"Now, the real fun begins." He said and before she could react, she felt the prickling of her skin, the familiar burning sensation flowing through her veins. She opened to scream but nothing came out of it. Her nails dug into the palm of her hands, her toes curled as she withstand the pain that was passing through her. 

She would rather die that very instance instead of enduring so much pain.

Memories flashed before her closed eyes, memories that were long forgotten and memories that belonged to her brother. Tears were running down her cheeks as she realized that she would never see her brother again.

Stop fighting it. You want to get your revenge, for killing your other half.

I... I am not strong enough.

Yes, you are. As the glass of her pod began to crack and her body emitting the colour of amber. 

---

Dongwoo dropped the gun when he and most of the men killed the last of them, or at least he hoped he did. His chest was heaving and his face covered in dried blood and bruises. His eyes met Suho who gave him a curt nod. They have equally lost a fair share and from thousands, they were only left hundreds.

"Come on. We need to get Julia."

In that short span of time; there was an element of trust between them. They had equally loved and lost the people most dear to them.

"What is going on?"

"Get them out of there, hyung. Get them on the plane and leave."

"The twins?"

"Right now I need you to get away. We will stop her." 

"But..."

"If you stay here, you may not survive this war." 

----

Was he dead?

He could hear screams so he was sure unless he was in hell, that he was definitely not dead.

His body twitched in pain and he winced. Definitely, alive. 

How could it be though? He could feel his sister's soul that was embedded in him a long time ago was missing. He felt the link between them had vanished as well. 

Hoya should be dead since his sister is now one entity, having both the gene and her soul back. Yet, he was alive. He could taste the dry blood on his lips, the chill down his spine and the ache all over his body. 

But how? How was it possible that he was alive? 

Probably it was one of those painful deaths, this was the first stage where the pain will slowly subside and your life will flash before your eyes before a great white light greets you into the gates of heaven. 

At least he would be reunited with his parents. 

But Julia? 

He had a duty to protect her.

Yet, he was so tired, his whole body was so tired and sore that he just wanted to give up the fight. He wanted his body to rest, his mind to rest as well. He knew that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter