Chapter 18: Voice of the Heart

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunhae wasn't always the monster she was known today. 

Prior to the war, she was known as Kwon Eunhae, daughter to businessman Kwon Shi-Won of Kwon Pharmaceuticals. She had everything and with a snap of her fingers, she could have everything. 

From shopping in Paris to sipping tea in England to walking on soft, white sandy beaches of Maldives. 

She had it all except the love of her parents. 

Her mother left her father and her many years ago when she was 3 years old. Her father who never gotten over her mother consumed himself in his work even more. He felt that the reason why she left them is because he didn't shower her enough with love and affection. That is why he decided he wouldn't make the same mistake with his only daughter. 

Showering her with gifts was his way of showing how much he loved her. 

And that eventually killed her father, on her 21st birthday. Her father left the entire company to his only daughter and all she remembered was crying herself to sleep re-reading the letter he left for her, apologizing for not being a better husband to his wife and to be a better father to her. 

Scandals after scandals ensued for Kwon Eunhae following the death of her father. She drowned her sorrows in partying all night and swindling the company's money and the sum her father left behind for her. 

Then, she met Lee Dongho. 

Eunhae smiled at the memory when she recalled how he came up with cheesy pick up lines. Her life didn't change 360 degrees over night but she did change and it was all thanks to him. He was her saviour when she was at her lowest and her pillar of strength. 

After a year and 9 months of dating, he proposed to her on the beach of Jeju Island and she said yes. The thoughts of marriage and the idea of being someone's wife made her estatic.

But, that did not happened. Dongho was an army officer and when the war came, he left with his fellow men to fight the war. 

"Will I ever see you again?" 

"Of course you will, Eunhae." 

Maybe she was destined for a cruel life. 

Maybe all those tabloid news were right about her, that her birth was a curse to her family. 

No, her husband did not die during the war. She did. 

This Eunhae who was killed when she was running away from the aliens was then taken to their mothership along with the others who suffered the same fate as her. 

What possessed Eunhae's body is an alien life form and like most aliens shows no signs of emotions and are trained to kill when they are needed to. That was their purpose. She never killed her fiance but she found his decomposed body one day along with other people. In that split moment, she felt a wave of emotions and she felt that her heart broke when her eyes met lifeless ones. 

Although possessed by an alien, fragments of Eunhae's human life still remained. 

The day when her kind attacked the rebellion barricade, she only had one purpose: to kill Hoya. It was a gamble to kill one of the twins because the Master said that either one of them possessed that gene. 

And that gene if activated, they are doomed. 

She wanted to kill him. She was already ready to twist his heart out of his chest but when she saw his face she decided not to.

For Hoya looked like her late fiance and she was not going to lose him again. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

"It's not the boy, master." 

"It's not?"

"It's the girl. The gene is in the girl." 

"Well done, Eunhae."

"When are you going to strike Safe Haven?"

"What are you thinking about?" Hoya asked her, pushing her hair back behind her ear, snapping her out of her telepathic connection with the Master. 

She gave him a sheepish smile. "Was just thinking when this damn war will ened."  she lied easily. 

He hummed at her reply, agreeing with her. He pulled his hand back and combed his fringe back. They sat in silence for a moment or two before he spoke again. "I feel like I need to do something... or see someone..." he said, lines forming on his smooth temple. If Eunhae was surprised by this statement, she did not show it. She knew hypnotizing Hoya will be a challenge since he and his sister, Julia, shared a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter