Chapter 41: Wings of Freedom

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A lot of things were going through Sungjong's mind after Sunggyu's confession. Even when everyone went back to their quarters to prep up, he couldn't help but have a nagging feeling that there was something quite not right.

It was very unlike Sunggyu to suddenly switch sides. He wasn't like Woohyun who was indecisive, no. Sunggyu had a motive to kill Julia and he would've done it all again in a heartbeat if he was given that chance. 

So what made him switch? He and his brother were never close, even in Safe Haven, they were polar opposites. Sunggyu never made an effort in the brotherly relationship. Why now? Did he realize that if he continue down this road, he would ultimately lose Myungsoo, his only sibling? 

It seemed plausible at first. 

Then, he remembered stealing a glance at Myungsoo. He would often look down and even if he wasn't, his eyes looked distant and he looked out of it. The only reaction he had gotten from Myungsoo was when he was trying to hold Hoya back and when his face was contorted in anger when he saw Julia strapped onto that chair. 

"Jongie, what are you thinking about?" 

He didn't even realize Shinyi was talking to him. He looked up to find Shinyi glancing at him with a raised eyebrow, hands on her hips. She didn't bother changing into the uniform they gave her since she looked like it was wearing her and not the other way around. Even with the weapons strapped around her hips and across her chest, she looked as if the weapons were wearing her due to her small size. 

"What made him change?" Sungjong questioned her. Shinyi shrugged and turned to face the mirror before frowning. "I look ridiculous." 

"Shin, answer the question." Sungjong said. 

"I am wearing too many of these things." she complained. "My shoulders hurt." she went on and began removing some of the things that were strapped around her waist. It didn't take a genius to know that Shinyi was hiding something. 

"Shinyi, stop it." he said getting up from the chair and began walking towards her but she ignored him. She went on complaining about her hair and about the outfit, about how small she was and how she needed to bulk up. She was babbling and rambling, something she does when she was lying or hiding something. 

He grabbed her wrist and spun her around to face him. His gaze immediately stilled her and she immediately closed . 

"Don't make me go into your mind." Sungjong told her, his voice not threatening but only concern and affection. She sighed and wanted to pull away from his grip but he held her closer to him. Although they were the same age, he was so much taller than the girl before him and much stronger. 

"What are you hiding, Shinyi?" he asked her, him searching her eyes for answers. She turned away and when she didn't answer him he let out a tired sigh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter