Chapter 3: Shots Fired

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was half past midnight as they walked out their campsite. Due to the task, another member came to join the group of 7 by the name of Kim Jiyoon. a young lady with dark brown hair and hazel coloured eyes. She was thin and quiet and only spoke when spoken to. She just stared at the group of 7, making them feel slightly uncomfortable and the twins tried as hard as possible not to look at her. 

The Lee twins told the other siblings that if there were any signs of threat or danger, alerted the other. The problem that they didn't have telepathy, they had to established what was known was a mind link between them so that they could communicate. The other siblings were skeptical at first but gave in anyway. What other choice do they have? 

"Where will we go?" Miyoon asked in hushed tones. They were a good distance away from them so there was no way anyone could hear them. "Anywhere but here." Hoya mumbled back, his lips barely moving. Miyoon nodded and she took in a deep breath. "Hey, we will be fine." 

The plan was not so simple however. They need to get away from them and the other problem was to find shelter before dawn breaks. They had digital watches on and made sure they were back by the gates before the first ray of sun touches the ground. 

Julia on the other hand tugged the hem of her black t-shirt and adjusted her gun holster around her hips. She tried to distract herself by talking to Ilhoon but even that, she could see that he too was worried. Although it didn't show on her face, Julia's palms were sweaty from nerves. Her fingers curled around the gun as she took another step forward. 

"Okay we are going to split people up." Donghae announced as he unfolded the map that General Shim gave earlier. The little group exchanged glances. "We never done that before." Minhyuk said, his arms folded. 

"We know but we need to cover as much grounds as we can tonight." Donghae said and Minhyuk fell silent. 

"So, Miyoon and Eunhyuk, Jiyoon and Hoya, Minhyuk and Julia and Ilhoon and I." Donghae said looking up each of them. 

"I want to be with my sister." Ilhoon and Hoya announced together but Eunhyuk shook his head, leaving no room for argument. "We have no room for argument. We have only 5 hours to get rid of these beings before day breaks. The last thing we want is to be left outside." Donghae said matter of factly. 

They were at least a 200m radius from each other so if they ever need back up, they will be able to help the other group. They divided the parts and unfortunately, Minhyuk and Julia were assigned to Seoul City Hospital, the one place that she was dreading to go back.  Her father, Dr. Lee Chang Soon, worked there prior to the war and that hospital was where they found Hoya unconscious but alive.

It was also the place where...

"Hwayoung..."

Julia didn't answer Minhyuk but kept on walking. If she could, she will shoot him, point blank. 

"Julia, hey. Wait up..." Minhyuk said trying to catch up with her. 

"Do I really need to talk to you?" she whispered, her tone annoyed. 

"I am sorry about that... I don't know." 

"You don't know... Ha. That's rich coming from you." she snorted and rolled her eyes. He grabbed her wrist but she yanked him away. "We have a job to do, Minhyuk. Let. Me. Go." she punctuated each word while staring at his eyes. Julia looked up to his smouldering brown eyes but was greeted with eyes that were slightly lighter almost amber. She blinked a few times but the amber colour and his eyes were dark brown. 

"Anything wrong?" Minhyuk asked with concern and she shook her head. He gave her a look of confusion but she shook her head. "Let's just go. The faster we get the job done, the faster we can go home."  

She wanted to brush it off as being a mind trick but something at the back of her mind told her otherwise. 

---

Jiyoon and Hoya walked as quiet as they could over the broken rubble. "Should we split up?" Hoya asked her quietly. 

Jiyoon shook her head. "Too risky. We are already broken into smaller groups... This way." the girl of 23 years pointed at the stairwell, holding a tracking device and Hoya nodded. She told Hoya that when she was out two nights ago she stumble on their breeding ground. She would've gotten the sample sooner but daybreak was approaching then and she couldn't risk it. 

That's how they ended up in this mess.  

Jiyoon was about to go in when Hoya stopped her. "Oxygen mask." Jiyoon stared at him blankly before registering what he said and nodded. Hoya found it odd that she could somehow forget to wear an oxygen mask. They have learnt from thei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter