Chapter 52: Getting Her Back/She's Back

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Loyalty to the country, loyalty to the Zlavik race and loyalty to the King. 

"And how is our little test subject?" Zahana asked, standing behind the other alien. From behind the window panel, they could see Julia who is beyond unconscious. The only way they could actually tell that she was still alive was that she was still moving. Her vital signs flashed, showing that they are weakening and that if they continue whatever they are doing, she would slip into coma or worse: death. 

"She is alive but in a comatose state." said the scientist who was busy pressing buttons and glancing up at the screen in front, showing Julia's body structure and system. 

"I am not talking about the girl." Zahana said quietly this time. She turned around to make sure they were alone.

All her life, Zahana was trained to be a warrior and to be a leader and like any working class alien, she had to fight for a position, the highest being the right hand man of the royal army. Being the only child, she was dotted upon by her father, him being the only parent she ever had. Her father always told her that loyalty and bravery go hand in hand. It was Zlavik custom for her to remember those two things in life. 

"Papa, what is that?" Zahana was reading a picture book where she stumbled upon a picture of a Queen with a stone on her finger.  

He smiled when he saw his child trying to scratch the gemstone out of the book. He bent down to her level and looked into her eyes, the colour of amber. "This is a royal hairloom, my dear. " The young one looked at her father with big eyes and a clueless look on her face. He smiled and patted her head. 

"It is a symbol to show the nation that you are royalty, Zahana. If you become the King's right hand man, which I know you will one day, you must protect it from falling into the wrong hands." 

"But..." Zahana scrunched up her face in thought and looked at her hands before her. "How would I know which is the wrong hand?" Her father chuckled and tap her chin affectionately. 

"You will understand when you are much older, young one." 

It was one of her Histroy lessons that she understood what the gemstone was many years later. It was created millenia ago when the first war erupted in the Zlavik land: a Civil War between two sisters fighting over the throne. The kingdom was divided at first till the younger sister who was much more cunning and smarter, created a gemstone where it would not only make her powerful but also, make the entire race loyal to her and her alone. 

It was a dirty trick but it worked and she sent her sister to exile. 

It was said that the gemstone literally fed off her like a parasite on a host. It made her greedy and hungry for power, turning her vile and vicious as time past on. Eventually, when the gemstone had out what life she ever had left, she was driven to insanity and died from it. When the older sister returned to her land, she wore the gemstone but instead of greed, it had a total opposite effect on her. While it gave her powers, it also gave her wisdom and bravery, something she always wanted to make her nation flourished.

It was then she realized that the gemstone had the power of an empath, to feel the thoughts, desires, feelings of a person. 

It was when Zahana hit maturity (or adulthood) when her father told her that the King requested him to him on a space excursion to Sector 990812, aslo known as the Milky Way. Since her father was the nation's best warrior, he was obligated to protect the King. While Zahana never possessed the power of telepathy, she knew that was something bad was going to happen. She told him to at least let her follow him but he declined. He told her that she still had a physical test the next day, to see if she was fit to enter the army. 

"Don't worry, Zahana."  he said.

That was the last time she ever saw her father alive. 

Maybe, her father had foresaw his impending doom. 

But did he foresee that a worthless human being would be the one leading her people? 

She found out later that her father and the King were dead and crashed landed in one of the planets in that sector. The planet known as Earth. The nation while in chaos, she found out more that the Earth space ships were the one who shot them first. It could be a simple mistake, it was only normal for a planet to put up such protection boundaries.

But she could never forgive them for what they did to her father and her King. When she and a few others went to find for their remains, she saw humans carrying them to a building. It didn't take long after for her to realize that her father and the King were being lab rats. Her father's corpse, her King's body were being treated like animals instead of a proper Zlavik burial. That was when she began to hate the human race.

She was angered beyond belief when she saw that the gemstone that was supposed to be on the King's finger was missing. If it was fallen into their hands, her nation was doomed. The nation would think that a Zlavik succeeded the throne and from the power of that ring, they would have to be loyal till the successor dies. 

It was unheard of for a human to be transformed into a Zlavik. The human being was lust driven and she could see it in his eyes. It was a slap to the face for Zahana when that worthless being told her that the ring chose him. She wanted to kill him and grab the ring and disappear from that place but the ring gave him power. 

"Bow down to your new Master." 

She was spellbound and so were the rest of her people. 

"Mahasl ejlow hasid erised yewoj joahe kom peftu havu morle tum, morle mahe oawe mena polas quahe." How to kill that filthy human that has tainted our blood, our race by having what is ours."

The scientist stopped whatever it was doing and turned to face the alien. "Mihal sholoa pina kum nah'ae misha dom. Yuo sloeha junma lope dohal soera pullahe nanash lohar makhiep sehwal hieama roham." We would need to cut off his finger. The ring mix with Zlavik's blood gives him immortality. Without the ring, he would be a mere weakling and he could be killed. 

"I will go now." Zahana said about to get out when the scientist continued. 

"No, not until he gets what he wants, Zahana. The ring as you know is driven by desire and the more you stop him, the more powerful he gets. Wait till the genocide, you may strike." 

Before Zahana could reply, the door open and in came in a Shape Shifter. Zahana was about to give a sounding till her eyes gaze over at two human boys, one on each hand and both unconscious. She was surprised as to where did they come from and how did they breach the wards.

"What is this, Yohal?" she asked the taller seargent. When the alien didn't answer, she walked towards him and grabbed him by the neck. "Answer me, seargent." She said pressing her palm on his neck, making him whimper slightly, and dropped the two bodies on the floor. She snarled and pressed her bony fingers along his face but stopped when her eyes met his.

She recongized that look instantly and before she could recover, three shots were fired. She heard a thud on her right and saw a glassy look in the scientist's eyes, and the seargent she was holding onto slumped to the floor lifeless

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter