Chapter 46: Dreams Fly High... And So Do Enemies

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two Years Ago

"It will be a scientific breakthrough." That was what Dr. Lee Chang Soon was aiming for. As part of the board of directors as well as the head of the research faculty, it was his duty to make sure that the hospital that had been the pride and joy of the nation remains on top. They had the funds, the brains and the technology to aspire to be the best they could ever be. 

And he knows with Project AX128, it will be. 

It was a myth that when humans evolve over the centuries, their immune system and resistance will grow stronger. While that is true, so do microorganisms and viruses that have mutated and evolved. Mere medication such as penicillin weren't enough anymore. He had gathered reports from residences as well as interns from the hospital that have gone abroad for assignments to rural areas like the MIddle East and other countries that were under the third world category. So, he decided to put forward this cause to the board in order to make humans a stronger race. 

What made it worth while was the board approved of his cause. 

He knew that many people were against the idea (the board included initially) of the hospital creating such a gene. He knew that the main argument would be that humans shouldn't take life into their own hands, who are they to play God? 

"Yet, for all you know, they're the very same people that wanted to live forever." Park Leah said to her husband one night when they retired for the night. Dr. Lee had come to a conclusion that humans are and forever will be a bunch of hypocrites. It was very hard to please them, to please anyone for that matter. He had gotten threats, he had gotten people holding up signs about God and what not outside the hospital, throwing insults at him and his research team. 

Sometimes, these people who go on strike and create 'peaceful' demonstrations outside were the one causing more problems than the original cause of their demonstrations. He had to come to a conclusion that he had to do what's right. After all, he was still a doctor and he had taken the pledge to save people and to fulfill his duties as a doctor. 

He pushed harder than anyone for the project not because of all the reports but also the fact that he didn't want any parent to go through what he and his wife went through many years ago with Howon and Hwayoung. The PST although had a high successful rate, there was also that small chance that it would deem unsuccessful. If the soul isn't taken out properly and transferred to the body in that limited duration, the recipient would die. Alternatively, if they do not harvest it right from the donor, both would die. 

He can't imagine parents going through what the both of them did. He didn't want any parent or child to go through that mental stress or that mental torture of watching their child getting wheeled in into the operating theatre, unsure what the outcome would be. They were lucky that the procedure was successful and both of his children are alive and well.

But, life is a funny thing isn't it? No matter how much you try to alter your fate, you cannot truly change the fate that you're destined to live. Never in both Dr. Lee and his wife ever thought that they would have to experience this again, the thought of loosing both of their children at once.

---

A Year Ago (2 Weeks Before the Accident)

"Chang Soon, my man," Dr. Lee turned around and broke into a smile when he saw his old friend, Richard Hon came through the large doors in Richard's study. Richard and Chang Soon were friends in university studying medicine many years ago. The blonde haired man and deep blue eyes slapped his shoulder good naturedly before pulling Chang Soon into a hug. 

"Oh, it's like you never aged, Rick. Looking young as ever." Chang Soon said and Richard laughed leading him to a seat in front of him. The man that was very well into his 50s laughed and shook his head. "You're too kind, old friend. Far too kind." he said and took a seat opposite him in the study of his bungalow. 

"How's Leah and the kids?" 

"They are good." he answered generally, trying not to give away too much information. "Clara and Morgan?" 

He saw his friend stiffen slightly at the mention of his wife and daughter but his shoulders relaxed. He gave a smile while pouring the whisky for himself and for his friend and the black haired man waited patiently for his friend to answer him. 

Truth to be told, Lee Chang Soon was surprised that the tall man called him last Monday. It's been so many years since he had heard from Richard. After graduation, they kept in touch and they went for reunions and weddings but when Chang Soon and Richard began to have families of their own, they grown apart. It didn't help when Richard entered into the world of politics. 

"They are fine." he said, a forced smile on his lips but Chang Soon could see that the smile never reached his cold eyes. "To friendship and our future undertakings." They clinked glass and Chang Soon brought the whisky to his lips, savouring the bitter taste of the alcoholic beverage. He never enjoyed drinking but he did it out of courtesy. He sat it down on the coaster and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter