Chapter 7: I Don't Know

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hoya felt his world was spinning at Dongwoo's words. 

"Hoya?" Julia grabbed her brother's hand, her eyes scanning him frantically. 

"That... that can't be right." He said. He opened his eyes and with solemn expressions, they nodded.

"Hoya, you saw them that night." Julia said but before she could continue, the image change again and her eyes widen at what she saw. 

Pods.

Millions of them and inside them weren't aliens.

They were humans. 

Every last one were humans. 

"We were supposed to draw out the substance from the pods." He said shaking slightly and his sister put her arms protectively. 

"Draw out the yellow substance?" Sunggyu asked, his voice suddenly gone quieter and much more grave. Hoya looked up to face the leader and slowly nodded. His sister hung onto him tighter, feeling the air in the room become heavy from the tension and being under the scrutiny of everyone.

Julia was the first to look back at the screen in front of them and when she did, she wished she didn't see the image. Her face turned pale when her eyes saw a familiar face. Julia gasped and her right hand covered her lips. "No." She said in an inaudible whisper.

"Julia," Hoya turned away from Sunggyu to look at Julia who was trembling. His arms looped around her shoulder and brought her closer. She felt her airways becoming constricted and her knuckles holding onto the leather seat tightly. She tried to control the tears that were threatening to fall, trying to pull herself together.

They were in the middle of a war. There was no time to cry.

Crying is for the weak.

"Julia, talk to me." he said, his eyes scanning her expression. 

Instead, she just pointed at the screen with her finger. All eyes turned to face the screen and at first, no one said anythig. All they saw were human beings, male, female and even children being placed in life size pods that held them together. Hoya squinted and leaned forward and gasped. 

"What?" Casey asked. 

"Minhyuk." Hoya answered in a hoarsed whisper. The sound of his name made Julia close her eyes. This wasn't right. 

None of this was. 

It suddenly dawned on her, the conversation they last had when they were out of the barracks. Before he had planned it all to kill her. 

"They are merging alien blood with human DNA..."

"They are trying to get rid of the human race." 

Sungyeol tapped his fingers on the infrared keyboard and checked the date. "A month ago." 

A month ago. 

"That can't be right. Minhyuk..." Hoya voiced out Julia's thoughts but Woohyun didn't let him finish.

"Is not human." He never was. She thought. The real Minhyuk... 

"Let me explain." Sunggyu said urgently. "The aliens are after humans with gifts. Most of the people here in Safe Haven are born with special abilities or are seeking refuge and are part of the rebellion. Like you, Hoya and Sungjong have the power of telepathy while my brother has the power mind control and telekenesis. The yellow substance you saw in the pods that night is a liquid that enters the human body and slowly breaks the power gene away from the DNA strand. When you take that substance out and when you give it to them, they will then inject it into their own." Sunggyu fast forward to another clip. 

This time, the liquid is clear and in them were humans...

"What you see here is what we think are humans. These are the Shape Shifters I told you about. They will enter one of these pods and a clear liquid this time will fill it. Once you inject your gene into them and it binds with the alien gene, we do not stand a chance. L can only control someone's mind within a certain radius. If one of these things get that power, they are able to control more humans at a larger scale." 

"Minhyuk is not a human being. He is one of those Shape Shifters you see here possessed with a Goliath gene or superstrength." 

"He helped me... He helped me escape. How could he act so human when he wasn't one?" Julia asked, sniffing slightly. She couldn't believe it. She wanted to believe that what Minhyuk told her was indeed true.

 Yet, this was the same person who attacked her and her brother a few days prior. She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to erase every single memory of him but it was hard when all she could think about was the fact that someone she trusted betrayed her.

Betrayed us. 

"The Shape Shifters get not only the gene that has power but it comes with memories: past and present. That is how they are able to adapt into the human life so well." Dongwoo explained. "Minhyuk probably still loved you then and when he died, the human part that, its emotions, helped you live." 

"What do they do with... Normal people?" Hoya asked.

"They kill them." Sunggyu's brother said, twirling a pen with his finger, his eyes stone cold as he looked at the twins. "Once they get what they want, they send them to the Body Searchers. on them like parasites until there's nothing left." His voice was eerily icy as his glare and Julia felt shivers run down her spine.

"It is a crue

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter