Chapter 50: In Spirit

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hoya stopped in his tracks and looked at the building before him: the remains of Seoul City Hospital. The orange rays slowly diminished behind the broken concrete buildings as he contemplated his next move. 

"Myungsoo, Sungjong, Casey, you three will go find Julia." 

He gulped and looked at the setting sun, dusk was approaching and the nerves and adrenaline was beginning to kick in.

They have the advantage when it was night time and they needed to destroy everything.

"Jongie had drawn what looks like a nuclear power plant in the works. If they put Julia in it, they would wipe out everyone in their path. That explains how they got rid of half or most of the human population across the globe." 

He entered the hospital cautiously, what was once a prestigous hospital was now in shambles, broken glass, holes on the floor and all the walls, wires poking out of the holes on the walls.

Every dreaded step he took, he became more terrified, he became more unsure with himself and whether the plan would actully prevail. 

"We will send our fighter jets to the coordinates." 

He walked up the stairs slowly. He scrunched up his nose when a whift of decomposed bodies filled his nostrils. He coughed and gagged at the smell more than the sight before him. He kicked decomposing bodies and skeletons out of the way and ran up the stairs. 

"We will destroy them once and for all." 

"Henry, Shinyi and I will be with Suho and the rest. We do not know how many are out there as well and we need as many men as we possibly can." 

There were times when he wished he was dead. He didn't have to fight the loosing end of the battle. He wanted so badly to give up. 

But he can't.

He knew if he was in Julia's shoes, she wouldn't have given up on him either. 

"Hoya, wait." 

He reached the floor and walked out the stairwell. His footsteps were heavy, reluctant and it echoed in the empty floor. 

"Casey." 

"I was expecting you." Hoya turned around, face to face with a tall hooded figure. Hoya took a step back in shock, his heart thumping fast against his chest. He was scared but his expression was stoic. At least, that was what he hoped for. 

He was face to face with the Master. 

"I will go with you." 

"This isn't open for discussion. I can't risk your life." 

"You need to stop doing this solo act, Hoya. This isn't a suicide mission. This is a war. Sungjongie and Myungie will find her. I get it you owe some kind of duty to your sister and your family. So do we. We have families, we have people and things worth fighting for. So, don't go all self righteous thinking that you can actually beat them at their own game." 

"Where is my sister?" Hoya asked, his voice echoed in the room. He could see the blood red gemstone on his enemy's bony fingers as he flexed his fingers. He could see a ghost of a smile on his very thin lips when the Master heard Hoya's question. 

"What do we do then, Miss Sassy Pants?" 

"She is safe... For now." 

"We buy time. Get him to talk while Myungsoo and Jongie find her. As soon as they do, we get out of here." 

"What do you want from me?' feigning ignorance. "You already have my sister. You already have the gene. Why do you need me for?" 

The Master howl with laugther. "I think you clearly know what I want from you." 

"No, I don't and I want my sister. I want to see her." Hoya said through gritted teeth. 

This only made his smile grow wider. "You are definitely your father's son. Impatient but family orientated. Something that I clearly lacked." The way the Master said, Hoya couldn't quite place it, was it regret?

"No, Casey. I can't guarantee your safety. With you being there, he might find out and we can't loose anymore people."

"And how would you possibly know that? You aren't God." 

"You knew my father?" Hoya asked. 

"Brilliant man but he just wanted to blend in with the crowd, just be a normal doctor. Unlike me." 

"I may not be God but I have lost people who are dear to me. My parents, people from Safe Haven, my sister... I can't stand the thought of loosing anymore people."

"And don't you think I have my fair share of grief? My fair share of loosing people I cared for? You can't do this alone. None of us can do this alone. We need to work together. You can't possibly face the Master alone." 

"What does this have to do with anything?" The hooded figure began to pace and the remaining sunlight reflected the blood red gem, making it sparkle. "The Zlavik race chose me to lead them to victory, to make them a superior race. This ring gives me power, makes me stronger and much more alive." Hoya shuddered at the thought that this man-alien creature before him was once a human being. His grey hands were elongated and his nails were black and curved in. 

Richard had know idea what made him show Hoya the ring but he walked closer and showed off the big piece of jewellry on his finger. "This thing, I found it while I was working at KARI."

Silence engulfed them as Hoya formulated a plan to get out of there, his eyes never once tore away from the sparkling gemstone. "You still have not explain to me why you need me here for." 

Richard stopped and turned to him. "You've not figured it out yet?"

When Hoya did not answer, the Master continued. "You have the other half of Project AX128." 

"I will be fine. As long as you get my sister out of there, I will be fine. If I need help, you will know." 

Hoya acted as if this was the first time he knew about it. "Impossible."

"But it's true." the Master said, a sly smile on his thin purple lips. 

"Hoya..."

"Listen, if it bothers you so much... Then, ask Sungjong to have a mind link between you and I. You will be in my head and if anything happens, you can alert the others."

"Why do you need it for?" he asked. "It's just a gene."

"Ah, my boy, it is more than that. It can wipe out the entire human race if I want it to." 

Hoya stiffen, although he heard parts of it when Sungjong told before, he still had chills all over hearing it for the 2nd time. "Then, capturing the ones with abilities..."

"Now, now we don't want your talents to go to waste. We merely take your powers and the Body Searchers will use them to house the human beings that has zero abilities." 

"Then why annihilate us?" Hoya asked, feeling bolder. "If those.. creatures need a host?" 

He let out a cackle and walked nearer to Hoya. "They are a bunch of animals. It doesn't matter to me if they die or not. All it matters are the Shape Shifters."

"And the nuclear..."

"Ah..." the Master smile once more, a finger on his lips. "That is a surprise." Without another word, he snapped his fingers and Hoya fe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter