Chapter 1: The Story of Julia and Hoya

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Her BP is crashing." 

"No." 

"Hwayoung." 

"Help." 

Julia woke up with a start, sitting up and her chest heaving. She looked around, her eyes wild with worried. Next to her was her twin brother, his back turned away from her. It was dark, probably past midnight from how quiet it was outside her tent, and from the steady breathing coming from Hoya, he was in a deep sleep. 

Her palms pressed against her eyes and she sighed deeply. It's already been a few months since the accident, it's been a few months since the war started and it's been a few months since Hoya and her lost their parents. For a 21 year old, she was surprisingly calm and has somewhat 'accepted fate' that humanity is foresaken by a God if there's such thing as one. 

Hoya on the other hand was somewhat the opposite. He was the kind that acted on emotions first and he will justify his actions later on. He was not a bad kid, no. He's the boy that respects others and will help those who are vulnerable and are weak back in school. He was the apple of anyone's eyes but it was just his tempremant that clouds his judgment. 

Prior to the war, Julia Lee wasn't the type to brood. Once upon a time, Hwayoung - before taking the name Julia-  had long locks that cascaded down her back like waves. She had milky white skin and eyes the colour of midnight. She wasn't a classic beauty but that only made her all the more interesting. She was the girl that wore her heart on her sleeve and flowers in her hair on a spring day. She was a daddy's girl but that didn't mean she will not tell you as it is. However, she was as stubborn as any old cow. 

Now, after she almost lost everything including her brother, the girl that always wear a smile on her pink lips and smell of freshly baked pastries was gone. She changed her name as to embrace a new beginning and to say that the old her was gone for good. 

She stifled a yawn but she was afraid to fall back asleep. Everytime she closed her eyes, she will see flashing images of her death, images of her dead parents...

She felt her eyes water and she closed her eyes trying to gather her thoughts, trying to surpress the memories that were hitting her like a tidal wave. No, this was a war and she didn't want to show any weakness. 

"Hwayoung." A familiar voice invaded her mind, disrupting her thoughts. She wasn't surprised since she knew her brother was the kind that never really gave her privacy let it be physical or mental space. His voice was raspy and still full with sleep.

"I thought you were asleep." she replied in her mind, afraid that if she did actually talk her voice will crack. She didn't want to show her brother that she was weak. 

In the dark, she could hear the ruffles of thin sheets as he rolled to face her. She still faced upwards, looking at the dark ceiling above. She could feel his gaze on her but she didn't want to turn around. Not now. 

"Hwayoung, I know you are having nightmares." Hoya said finally. 

"I am not Hwayoung anymore, Hoya." Julia replied flatly. "She died when this whole war started." 

"Does it matter? You are still my baby sister. In my eyes, you are still Lee Hwayoung and I am Lee Howon." Hoya snorted but his tone was serious. 

"She is dead and gone, Hoya. Go to sleep." she retorted. 

There was silence and Julia just hope and pray that her brother will not talk and let them both sleep. 

But, of course, that's a fat chance. 

"I know you have nightmares." Hoya said, his voice sad. 

"I do not have nightmare

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter