Chapter 29: Light of a Fixed Star

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Great. Just perfect." Shinyi muttered when a rain drop fell on her head. She pulled her hood up and quickly walked down the pathway. People around her were scurrying as the raindrops became heavier, shoving passed the 5 feet 16 year old girl. It was a gloomy Thursday evening and she was hoping and praying that it will not rain but her prayers were not answered. 

She was already having a bad day as it is. She woke up late for school, missed the bus by a mere second, she forgot to bring her lunch and had to spend money on horrible canteen food, her assignment marks came back and all her hard work went down the drain when she only got a B and her friend, Misun, has gotten an A- for just copying something off wikipedia. 

When the bell rang, she thought the worse was over till she saw dark clouds rolling in.

She stopped walking and let the pitter patter of the rain to conitnue soak her. She felt the stares on her back and people turned around looking at the girl if she was mad but she ignored them. She huffed and continued on her way, her already soaked yellow sneakers making a squishy sounds against the wet ground. Shinyi felt there was no point rushing to the bus stop since it will be filled with people and she doesn't want to deal with people right now. 

She slowly walked, hands in the pockets of her yellow hoodie till she stopped in front of a church. For some weird reason, Shinyi felt compelled into entering the church but still stood at the foot of the stairs thinking of whether to go in to seek shelter. When a gust of wind blew at her direction, she made up her mind and ran up the stairs till she reached the door of the church. 

With a little effort, she pushed the majestic wooden doors open and she poked her head inside. The church smelt of incense burning and trying not to make any sound, she entered the sanctuary. She wasn't sure whether the church was closed on a weekday since she never heard anyone go to church on a weekday anyway unless they are nuns, deacons or priests. 

Shinyi was not down right religious but she did believe in God. Her parents never really focused on the religion part and she just followed whatever her parents did, really. The reason why she never really gotten into a religion and stuck to it is because she always found that they are a bunch of hypocrites. They acted like they were pious and 'I am holier than thou' or 'If I offer this' or 'If I do this, God will be pleased.' Shinyi snorted when she remembered one of her friends bragged about how much her father donated for the church. 

If she thinks that her father will enter heaven just by donating a certain sum, she has definitely gotten the wrong perception on religion and God. 

Shinyi stared in awe at the stained glass paintings decipiting the station of the cross. Her sneakers made squeaks and the friction against the marble floor echoed throughout the church. She walked down the aisle, her fingers touching the polished wooden pews as she did so. Her eyes were fixed at the altar where there was a big crucifix hung in the middle and the marble altar was covered in a white cloth. What held her gaze was the flickering light emitting from the Easter candle, standing tall and burning bright. 

She watched as the fire danced as she continued to walk towards it. It burned so brightly as if it was a star. She wondered was that how the Three Wise Men felt when they saw the star in the sky when He was born. 

The 5 feet tall girl, soaked to the core sat right in front and clasped her hand together and bowed her head in prayer. However, she never knew how to pray: how does one even start a prayer anyway? 

She jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around immediately ready to defend herself when she met a nun who looks to be in her early 50s and is as tall as the young girl before her. 

"I'm.. I'm sorry... It was raining and I didn't know the church was close... I'll be going now." Shinyi mumbled and bow a few times at the nun who to her amazement chuckled at the young girl's attitude. 

"Oh, it's alright my dear." she smiled and the girl turned a shade of red at her stupidity. "The church is always open to use." she nodded and sat back down. <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter