Chapter 28: The Chaser/Follow Me

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shinyi stood in front of Julia who was crying silently. Tracks of her tears glistened under the dim lighting in the room. Julia shook her head and her shoulders shook as Shinyi told her what they were going to do. Hoya held onto her shoulders with comfort as Shinyi had a grave look casted over her face. Myungsoo felt for Julia and held onto her hand, the only way to comfort her at this state. 

"No, Shinyi. This isn't your fight. They want me, not you." her voice barely a whisper as she spoke. 

"It is our fight, Julia. What kind of citizen will I be if I do not stand up to defend our country?" 

"But they want me! Not you. They want that god forsaken thing inside me right now. This is crazy! I am not allowing you to go there to die in vain." Julia snapped. 

"This isn't open for discussion! This is the only option we have right now, Julia whether you like it or not." Shinyi snapped back at her. 

Julia shook her head and Myungsoo squeezed her hand. She turned to her twin brother out of desperation. "Hoya..." she called to her brother desperately but he gave her a sad look. "He tried to convince me not to do it. All of them did but this is the only way." Shinyi explained to her. "Julia, if they capture you we are all doomed. If I go after them, it will buy us some time to get to Jinju."

"This is madness and you know it!" Julia said looking desperately at her.

Shinyi gave a small smile. "I've nothing to lose anymore. You have everything to lose: him," she said glancing at Myungsoo who was gripping onto Julia's hand tightly, "and Hoya." she said turning her attentio to her brother who held her close to him. She hiccuped as Shinyi said that. Julia knew she had more to lose but the thought of someone sacrificing their own life for her sake and for the people she loved, takes a lot of courage and she admired that. 

Julia tore herself away from Hoya and Myungsoo and went to her. Shinyi didn't expect Julia to pull her into a bone crushing hug.Shinyi was stunned momentarily by the gesture, her whole body froze as Julia buried her head onto her shoulders and cried. Shinyi sniffed as her own tears threatened to fall. 

"I can't let you do this, Shinyi." and the girl collapsed in a heap and the two boys rushed to the fallen girl. "I am sorry."

----

"Remember, we have to bring the girl in alive."

"What about the rest? Kill them?"

'If they resist, yes but I believe the Master would want them to be brought in as well. They may bring us an advantage." 

Sunggyu just sat there silently as he listened to their conversation. He looked around him and he felt it was unnecessary to bring the entire contigent to attack them since they are clearly outnumbered. But, it's the Master's orders and who are they to defile such a request? 

The sky was coloured with a mixture of red and orange hues, signs of daybreak approaching. He was surrounded by mostly Body Searchers. Being the lower caste of the alien race, the Body Searchers were more like savages: hissing, snarling, growling and in a crouched position. Just like their name suggests, they do not have a proper body like the Shape Shifters. Instead, they have an exoskeleton and one can see the muscles and the veins on their flesh. 

Once they get the human they wanted, like a snake that sheds their skin, they shed their exoskeleton and their 'soul' transfers into the human and they will live on the human. The Body Searchers are mostly are on the front line of the army while the Shape Shifters are not necessarily needed. There were often times that the Body Searchers will look at Sunggyu hungrily but then one of the Shape Shifters will hiss back and communicate to them in their own language, Zlavik.

"He is not a use to us." 

"Send Woohyun to the Body Searchers." 

"NO!" 

Everyone turned to look at Sunggyu as if he was crazy. "No?" the leader asked. 

"We can reverse this. He can be an asset." 

"How?"

"Find the person who did this to him." 

So, not only Sunggyu has to find Julia but he has to find th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter