Chapter 48: Evolution

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hoya felt his head was spinning. 

He collasped to the ground, his hands on his head as he tried to stop his head from hurting.

He felt nauseated as well and he clutched his sides as he felt a sharp pain. He wanted to scream but he was in too much pain to even produce a sound. Even if it did, it sounded more of a whimper. His breath became shallow as he tried to focus on his breathing. 

He rolled on his back, his face dripping with sweat. 

With his free hand, he gripped onto the sheets tightly to pull himself up. He in a deep breath, his brows furrowing as he tried to sit up but only to fall down again when the pain came back.

"God damnit." he muttered while his knees were pulled up to his chest, trying to subdue the pain. 

It was like dejavu: Julia was in pain before.

But as sudden as it came, it disappears and Hoya was able to breathe easily. 

His legs were no longer pulled up to his chest and he was fully on his back now while breathing easily. He closed his eyes and tried to regain his composure when he heard footsteps. 

He quickly sat up just in time to see Shinyi and Dongwoo come into the room. Casey followed them from behind together with Henry on her side, him holding her by the arm. 

He expect to see Myungsoo and Sungjong but the two boys weren't there.

"Where are the other two?" Hoya asked the four of them, though his eyes were lingering at Casey a little longer than he intended. He didn't like Henry holding her like that as if she was his.

And she isn't even yours, idiot. 

"Last I check, Sungjong went to get Myungsoo." Shinyi answered. It was partially true since he was pretty pissed off about the whole mind controlling thing but Hoya didn't need to know that. 

She didn't want to cause unnecessary drama when they are so close to attacking the alien race. 

"And Sunggyu?" he asked raising an eyebrow. He still didn't trust Sunggyu very much and he didn't bother hide the distaste in his voice when he mentioned his name. 

"Last I check, Captain Hwang wanted to talk to him." Henry answered. 

"We are going to leave soon. We need to go over the plan once more." Dongwoo said standing in the middle. "Suho and few of Captain Hwang's men are going to kill the electricity or any sort of power source in their armada. We all know that they are weakest at night so, as soon as the sun sets, we will have to strike and save Julia."

"Are you sure Julia is held captive at the hospital?" Shinyi asked looking at Hoya for confirmation. 

Hoya felt sick to the stomach again: thinking of the accident, the gene, the unsettling pain in his abdomen rising. "He said where it all began. I believe that is the only place I could think off." 

"We know that you cannot go there alone." Dongwoo said looking right at Hoya. "Casey, you would have to go with him."

"What? I can't put her life in danger."

"And are you willing to risk yours? Casey has the power of invisibility. She would be a great asset if she was with you."

"But the Master... He would know, wouldn't he? I am already risking everyone's life here and one more-"

"Would not make a difference." Casey said looking at him. Henry's hand tightened around Casey as she went on. "Either way if we look at this, it is the only plausible option and we are running out of options here. We can't risk anymore men, we are already decreasing in numbers as we speak. Just because she is your sister, doesn't mean she is your responsibility alone."

"Casey is right." Shinyi said. "Like I said before and I will say it again, we are like a family. We will need to work together to get through this war. There is no more solo trips, no more one man show. We are going to stick together and stick to the plan. Do you understand me?" she looked at each and everyone in the room and they nodded. 

Hoya nodded and hung his head. 

"Now, we just need to know what is he going to do with the gene when he gets it." 

"Sunggyu did say the last time that this gene mix with alien DNA can magnifiy its power." 

"Still, it won't make sense. They would need some kind of tower to generate this power. If they are going to use a human being as a vessel, for example Julia, she wouldn't sustain." Dongwoo explain. 

"The DNA is already bond in her unless they are going to super cool her to get it out."

"But if she is dead, it would be useless." 

Dongwoo shook his head. "Not necessarily. She was drugged when we saw her on video and if I don't know any better, they are trying to freeze her body so that her body will shut down on her but not to the extent of killing her. Her heart will be beating and once they get what they want, they will dispose of her." The rest fell grim on how easily Dongwoo told something so menacing as that. 

Before anyone could say anything, Sungjong and Myungsoo barged in, both breathing heavily and both panic striken.

"Jongie, what's wrong?" Shinyi asked rushing to her friend's side. 

"We don't have much time." Sungjong said his voice barely audible and the rest of the group looked at him with a puzzle look. He looked really spooked. The both of them do. "What's wrong? What did you see?" Hoya asked looking from Myungsoo to Sungjong. Sungjong looked at Myungsoo, a silent message passing through the both of them but neither of them wanted to talk.

"Speak up, what's going on?" Dongwoo snapped. He didn't mean to snap at Sungjong who was already in the verge of having an anxiety attack but when you have one or in this case two lives at stake, they need all the information they can get and fast. They looked at the two boys, Myungsoo who had red rims under his eyes, his eyes were moist with fresh tears. Sungjong had his eyes downcast as he tried to gather his thoughts and trying to string his words together. 

"Everyone has their secrets. Some are well hidden than others. There are

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter