Chapter 45: Forgetting to Breathe

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What's worse? 

A gun? 

Julia stared at the shiny black metal revolver that was aimed at a mutated Hoya. Hoya's slightly tanned skin was replaced by something slimy and metallic, his muscles showing. He had grown considerably larger and his clothes were ripped to shreads, pieces of fabric dangling at the seams. His body was crouched, him on all fours like an animal. His irises were the colour yellow and his eyes were snake like, darting from her to Myungsoo and back to her again. He was trying to deduce whether they were a threat. 

She gulped when her brother came towards them cautiously, him sniffing them and on all fours. The sun isn't at its highest yet so his eyesight is still very poor. Myungsoo held the gun high, ready to pull the trigger if he found him a threat. He cautiously moved backwards, avoiding anything that would give them away. 

"Let's get out of here." Myungsoo suggested. 

Or a thought? 

Julia on the other hand, stayed rooted to her spot, her eyes never leaving her brother. She ignored Myungsoo bombarding her mind to leave. She closed her eyes as she felt the animal come closer to her. He may not look like Hoya now but she know deep down he was still inside there. She could feel him, no matter how weak the bond between them is now. She could feel him, something that she had missed having for a very long time. 

"What are you doing?" Myungsoo demanded.

"Trying to save my brother."

"He is gone, jagi. Let's leave." 

"I can feel him, Myungie. I can feel him." 

"He will kill us if we don't leave now, Jules." 

Julia opened her eyes and was face to face with her brother. His yellow eyes were staring right her, herself reflecting over his glassy dark pupils. She could see in his eyes that he was scared, he was frightened. He drew in a breath, inhaling her scent. He closed his eyes as he tried to familarize her scent. At the back of his mind, he felt as if he knew her, he could feel there was a connection between the both of them. Something about her presence made him feel human. But his animal instincts told him otherwise. Her sweet scent was enough for him to make his mouth water and wanted to devour her sweet flesh. 

He growled and bare his enlarged canine teeth but she didn't even flinched from her spot. He wanted to scare her but she wasn't afraid of him, someone who was her own flesh and blood. 

Julia extended her arm hesitantly to touch his face but he raised his arm attempting to strike her down when she spoke to him. Myungsoo was about to pull the trigger when her other hand told him to stop. 

"Hoya!" she spoke, pronouncing each syllable. He stopped, his long muscular arm, his taloons flashing under the ray of sunshine just over her head. She stood there defiantly and his eyes widen at the sound of his name. He felt a strange connection, a bond between him and the girl and from the way she pronoucned his name, she must mean something to him, but what?

"Hoya." his eyes were as wide as saucers now. Her lips weren't moving and yet he swore he heard her voice in his head. He stared at her in disbelief, waiting for her to speak once more. 

"Why are you looking at me like that, Howon? Don't you... Don't you know who I am?" she asked taking another step forward towards him. Once again, she raised her arm at him and he was about to move away when she spoke again. "I am not going to hurt you, Hoya. You... You are unwell." There was something in her voice, a hint of sadness. 

Was he supposed to remember her? He slowly put his paw down and his hind legs slowly went to a sitting position. Even in that state, he was still slightly taller than he originally was. 

"I won't hurt you." she cooed in her mind. He knew she won't hurt him but her friend behind her, was the one he was worried about. 

She could sense his discomfort and turned around to face Myungsoo. 

"Jagiya, it's okay." she told him, a smile tugged her lips. "He isn't going to hurt us." 

A gun gives you an opportunity 

But he never put it down. There was something dark about him that made her smile drop. "Jules, remember when you asked me where's everyone else?" 

When Julia didn't answer and moved closer to her beast of a brother, he continued. "Your brother killed them." his voice was like acid, a sting to her heart. 

"No." she said turning to look at Hoya. Hoya hung his head in shame but his eyes pleaded at his sister. He didn't mean to kill them. He was transforming into something like this and they were shooting him. He was threatened! Wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter