Chapter 49: That Year's Summer

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A year ago: 

Lee Chang Soon looked out of the window of his study, a hot cup of black coffee in his hand. He watched his 20 year old daughter sit down on the freshly cut grass, her legs tucked underneath her while talking with her friends, soaking up the sun. She had her head thrown back while her other two friends clutched onto their stomach also laughing about something or another. He smiled at the scene before him, a smile that never reached his eyes as he took a sip of his black coffee, savouring its bitter taste. 

He let out a sigh and glanced below at how innocent and carefree his daughter was. Her hand gestures, expression and mannerism were of a child, a little girl! They were so intrigued by his daughter's expressive story telling about some teacher or some singer till his son, Hoya came in from the backdoor, his gym bag slung over his left shoulder. His black hair was messy and his skin glistened in sweat. The father chuckled when he saw the two girls who were trying to focus on Hwayoung's story but from their body language, they were trying to get the attention of his only son. 

Hoya squat down behind his sister and covered her eyes, making her stop abruptly to probably the of her story. The younger brother gave her a kiss on both of cheeks and ruffled her hair affectionately, owning a pout from the slightly older sister when he removed his hands. Hoya was about to hug her but she pushed him down, him landing on his bum on the grass. From the way she was talking she was probably nagging at him about how he smelt of old socks or blue cheese. The boy waved at the girls as he stood up not without giving another peck on his sister's cheek and it broke his father's heart even more. The girls slumped dejectedly knowing full well that Hoya would never be interested in them. 

The older male moved away from the window and set his mug down on his polished cherry wood desk. He sat down and took off his glasses, placing them gently on the table. He rubbed his eyes tiredly before resting his head on it in thought. He would have to tell Howon soonand today, would be the day he would tell him.

---

Hoya sat at his father's office after dinner. His father told him he wanted to talk to him about something urgent. His sister went for an English lesson and his mother had a book club meeting with the other doctor wives, so the both of them were alone in their mansion. "What do you want to talk about, appa?" Hoya asked, slumped on the comfy cushioned chair, his fingers tapping on the gold coloured arm rest. 

His father's study reminds him of something of those classic books written by Charles Dickens or Jane Austen: shelves and shelves of books, dark colours, tall windows and intricate designs of gold and bronze all over the room. His father pulled down his glasses down, a habit he did before he started talking about something serious. Howon raked his brain as he tried to recall did he break anything or did anything wrong this whole week but nothing came to mind so he began to relax. 

"My son," he said, his elbows propped up on the table, his fingers interlocked as he spoke. "will you promise me something?" 

He was quite taken aback from such a request. Hoya never heard his father sounded so vulnerable before. Growing up in the Lee household, his father was always their pillar of strength, the tough one in the family. 

Nevertheless, the young boy nodded his head unsurely. "Of course, appa." 

"Whatever I am telling you today, you must not tell Hwayoung." 

Hoya raised an eyebrow. He and his sister shared everything together and since they had a telepathic link, his sister could easily enter his mind and could tell instantly that he was lying. He could lie very well but never to his own twin sister. 

"Appa, she reads me like an open book. I don't know I could keep this away from her." 

His father's expression changed slightly, his lips pursed in thought. "You have to try. She must not know this, you understand me?" 

The Lee heir was getting worried. He never heard his father sound so scared before and it was scaring him. "Appa, what is going on?" 

His father ignored him. "I will tell you shortly, my boy but you have to promise me another thing. Promise me that whatever happens to your mother and I, you must always protect your sister. Always be with her. You know how stubborn your sister is." 

"Appa..." 

"Promise me." his father pleaded. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter