Chapter 6: Inconvenient Truth

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hoya looked at the dried blood on his hands, on his once white t-shirt and jeans. He knows he isn't injured. 

Beneath him was his father, eyes wide but no heartbeat. 

"Appa, please." 

"How is he?" 

Hoya could hear voices around him but he just couldn't comprehend who was talking. It was definitely not his twin sister. He shot up, his eyes wild as he scanned around the unfamiliar white room. 

"Whoa, easy there." A hand touched his chest. He stared at the foreign hand and slowly looked up to place the hand to a face. He was met with a girl with caucasian features and dark brown hair that was tied into a bun and pushed back. She had honey coloured eyes that looked at him intensely. The girl who didn't look any older than he was gave a smile and pulled her hand away. "You have a lot of tubes on your arms. Don't want you to pull them apart." She explained and he just stared at her before his eyes travelled to his arms that were connected to every possible machine there was. 

"My sister." He said hoarsely.

"She is fine." A male voice spoke this time, a young man with dark brown hair and almond shaped eyes spoke. He had a stetoscope around his neck and a clipboard in his hand. "She is just resting in the next room." 

"Where am I?" He asked looking at the both of them. "Who are you?" 

"You are in Safe Haven. I am Nam Woohyun and this is Casey Janz." He introduced himself while slinging an arm over Casey which she rolled her eyes and lifted his arm off her shoulder, completely disgusted by him. 

"What on earth is this place?" Looking at the state of the art machines. 

"It's a place for the rebellion to live in. More on that later. Right now you need to rest." 

"I have been resting here for quite a while. I want answers." Hoya snapped and Casey gave him a hard look. "Hoya, I know you want answers but right now you would need to rest." 

He tried to move but he yelped in pain when he hit a wrong nerve when he was moving and Casey rushed to his side again. "You need to rest. Your sister is resting as well. Tomorrow, the leader of Safe Haven will hold a meeting and I promise you, you will get your answers." 

Hoya looked at them warily. He looked at Woohyun then back at Casey and he wasn't sure who they are how they even know his name for that matter. 

"I know you don't trust us right now but you will have to, Hoya. The aliens would be coming to find you and your sister if you are out of here." Casey explained to him and he snapped back his eyes at her. 

Before he could ask anything else, Woohyun told him to rest and all answers would be given to him tomorrow. 

Even when the morphine was kicking into his veins, as he fell into a dreamless sleep, he couldn't help but wonder...

Why. 

---

They kept their promise and the twins were reunited the very next day. Hoya who had his head bandaged and his arm wrapped around in white cloth. Julia, with her good arm pulled him into a hug and she sobbed into his shoulder. "I thought I lost you!" She said into his shoulder while Sungjong and Casey excused themselves from the room. 

He pulled away from her and gingerly touched the side of her face. "I am still here. You can't get rid of me that easily." She let out a watery laugh and playfully nudged him. 

"Don't joke about that, Hoya." She told him and he scooted closer into her bed and hummed. He draped his good arm around her torso and pulled himself closer to her. 

"I know." He said softly this time and she played with his hair. 

It was a long time since they did this, to be in each other's embrace. People often gave them weird looks when they were back in the base camp, thinking that there was an ous relationship going on between the both of them.

They lay down in silence, slowly the silence lulling them to sleep when Hoya asked her a question. 

"Do we trust them?" 

"Yes, the younger boy, Sungjong... He let me probe his mind yesterday and he can be trusted." 

"Are you sure?" 

Julia looked down at him and their eyes met. She nodded. "Yes." She said. 

Did they even have a choice? 

---

Later in the day, a tall, lanky man by the name of Sungyeol came into her room and told them that Sunggyu, the leader wanted to hold a board meeting and the twins were invited. 

"All questions will be answered." He assured the twins as he helped Julia off the bed and Hoya steadied himself by holding onto the table. He huffed and they followed Sungyeol slowly trodding behind him. 

Safe Haven was nothing like the camp they were in. Fluoroscent lights, healthy and clean people walking pass them, state of the art facilities. Julia wondered how long it took to build them and how could she not know about this place before. 

"Hey noona! Looks like you're walking again." Sungjong's voice broke her out of her thoughts and she spun around to see him behind her. The younger boy with copper coloured hair has grown a sort of attachment towards the slightly older woman and she found it albeit creepy at first. 

"Yeah." She replied simply and Hoya held onto her tightly and he gave Sungjong a quizzical look and he chuckled. "Hi. I am Sungjong." He waved at Hoya. "The taller male that looks like a pigeon is my older brother, Sungyeol." He said and Sungyeol turned around and shot him a dagger. 

"You are just jealous that I have inherited the looks while you look like a girl." Sungyeol shot back and Sungjong laughed. 

"Whatever helps you to sleep at night, hyung." He said dismissively and Sungyeol muttered something under his breath. 

"Oh shush, Jongie. Don't talk like that to Yeollie." They little group turned around to see a petite size gir

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter