Chapter 34: Reflex

This is War: A Story of Friendship, Betrayal and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shinyi sat up from her bed with a start as soon as she heard the screams. Disorientated, she fumbled her way through the door of the unfamiliar room. She looked out of the corridor and followed the sound of the screams. It wasn't far and she knew those screams were from one person and one person only.

Sunggyu. 

She was guessing she was in Jinju and not in the aliens' captivity. She wasn't sure what had happened but she somehow could tie in it was the works of Julia. Shinyi pushed her way through men who were carrying weapons and wore army vests as if they were going for battle soon. How long was she even out? She was sure that she wasn't out for that long. 

When the screams stopped, she became frantic. It was not because she cared for him but the direct opposite: she wanted him to lead them to the enemy lines, the actual source. For once they got rid of the source, they will retreat and disappear for good. 

Well, at least that was what she saw in movies anyway. 

"Move!" she shouted and squeezed her way through people. God, what was going on and where on earth did these many people come from?! 

She stopped in front of the door and with all her strength, she pushed her way in. She stumbled into the room, her hand holding onto the door handle. Her eyes widen when she saw Myungsoo clutching onto Sunggyu's t-shirt, the latter all bloodied and bruised, his eye swollen from the blows he received and a split lip as well. She saw the younger breathing hard and sobbing. Sunggyu on the other hand, had his arms lamely on his sides and had a blank expression plastered on his face. 

The fact that his younger brother was crying in front of him and he not acting on him just show how ignorant and stupid he was being. He already lost one sibling, does he plan on loosing one more who was crying right in front of his eyes?

Shinyi wasn't going to stand there and watch them fight any longer. With a few strides, she tore Myungsoo away from the older boy. He made it easy for the girl since he wasn't struggling when she pushed him away. She stood in between them, her hands out stretched to prevent either boy to go after each other any longer. 

"Myungsoo, sober up." she said, her attention is now fully on Sunggyu. Sunggyu on the other hand just stared at the floor, ignoring her glare on him. Myungsoo wiped his tears and hiccuped as he tried to sober up. It was weird how a girl who was relatively shorter than the both of them had an effect on the two boys. 

The three of them stood there in eerie silence, the tension between the three of them thicken and not even once Shinyi's gaze faltered as she stared at the traitor to all mankind. 

Without warning, she kicked him in the shin, making him howl in pain, his hands flew to where she kicked him earlier. "WHY DID YOU DO IT?!" she shouted at Sunggyu. When he didn't answer, she kicked his left shin, making him fall to the ground, hissing in pain. For a small girl, she sure had a lot of strength in her. 

"WHY!?!" she shouted once more and kicked him in the face, a deafening cracked ensued from the blow. Sunggyu could have easily blocked it but he showed no effort in protecting himself. 

"Answer me, Kim Sunggyu! You traitor! You monster!" she shrieked and hit him once more, still sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter