The Moment Of Truth

Ahjumma Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

''This is even harder than I thought...'' the old man said as he leaned forward, his elbows on his knees as he cradled his head. 

 

 

 

 

Dara, still wide-eyed and confused, could only look at each of the people inside that room.

 

 

Mina was looking anywhere around with tears on her eyes. Bom was looking at her as if trying to send her messages but she was so confused to even get it. Teddy was leaning back on the couch with eyes closed as if praying for things to fall into place this time. Hyun Suk who was on the other end on a single couch facing the old Park was intently exchanging gazes with Eunju who was surprisingly calm. And Jiyong who was there beside her was just as confused as she is.

 

 

 

 

''Almost 30 years ago...'' they heard the old man talk,  ''I committed the gravest sins ever in my life. I made my daughter's life miserable. I threatened to kill someone. I mistreated the father of the baby my daughter was bearing....''

 

 

 

Eunju flinched with her father's words. It's been so long, but she never thought such words would open up the wound she thought had healed already. She looked to her right, at the far end, Hyun Suk was sitting with a deadpan expression, perhaps trying to conceal his emotions.

 

 

 

''...I basically killed my own son Taekyung...and... Even not literally, the same thing goes to my Eunju and Hyun Suk's daughter. I hid my own granddaughter in the eyes of the people... What's worse is killing her in the mind and heart of her own mother and making her father unaware of things with the threat of killing his father...''

 

 

 

Dara curled her hands into fists.

 

 

She didn't know this much...

 

 

She thought of the image of her dying grandmother, asking her to come to her, asking her to listen to her words, telling her her parents are still alive. Telling her her mother is Park Eunju. The aunt she idolizes so much. And with that, her halmeoni died. She remember the anger that was all over her harabeoji's face that time. But she took her chance and asked him she wanted to leave the mansion.

 

She needed her own space, her own refuge. She asked Bom if she knew more than that, and the girl said she only knew about her mother with the fear that she might get punished by her harabeoji too.

 

 

 

She looked at the people on the other couch. No one dares to look at her. She wanted to ask them why no one told her about all these? Why no one approached her? Why when Bom and Teddy knows that Jiyong was related to her dad?

 

 

 

 

She felt betrayed. She felt alone.

 

 

All these years, she's never felt so alone. So stupid.

 

 

Before she knew it, she was already standing with her hands still balled into tight fists.

 

 

''How come no one ever told me all these?'' she bitterly said, tears are now flowing from her eyes.

 

 

''D-d-ara...'' Bom stood up too and was about to go to her side but Dara stopped her.

 

 

 

''Bommie-ah... You knew everything, didn't you? How could you do this to me? How about the girls? Do they know too?'' she asked Bommie, tilting her head a bit to her.

 

 

 

''Dara I'm sorry!'' Bom finally broke down and cried. She ran towards Dara's side and knelt in front of her. ''Dara, I'm sorry... I'm sorry....'' she repeated, as if that's all she can say.

 

 

''Bom!'' Mina called her daughter.  ''Please forgive us Dara... Eunju, Hyunsuk... Please... Let's stop living in this madness.'' She pleaded as the sight crushed her heart.

 

 

Eunju wasn’t able to control her emotions this time.

 

When she arrived yesterday, Teddy sent someone to her and revealed everything to her to her utmost shock. She was told t keep silent and let things flow accordingly for Teddy already planned the revelation at the party, but it turned out with Dara walking away in fear and surprise.

 

 

''You're seriously telling me that unnie? You could've told me a lot of times before. You're the only one I did try to contact while I was away. Why? Is your heart now breaking with the sight of your daughter kneeling before mine? All of you here... No one knows the pain I've been through when I was told I lost my daughter! Last night at the party, I was waiting for someone to tell me the truth, someone here told me he has everything planned'' she said as she eyed Teddy, “My mind was in chaos I didn’t know what to do but just stare at the confused look on my daughter’s face. If I didn’t show up, would you still reveal things to us?”

 

 

 

 

Teddy stood up and knelt on his spot while bowing his head.

 

 

''Forgive us, aunt Eunju, uncle Hyun Suk, Dara...''

 

 

 

Jiyong could only look at the people in the room as the truth was unfolded before his eyes.

 

 

His godfather, Hyun Suk is the father of the girl he wanted to protect. Things went blurry in his mind. What is he even doing here?

 

 

 

''I... I... Think I have to go----''

 

 

 

''Stay.'' he heard his uncle Hyun Suk told him. With an authority he's never seen before, he automatically sat down once more.

 

 

 

''All I want to be is to be with my daughter, that's all. I would want to thank Mina for taking good care of her. As well as Bom and Teddy... I want my family back. That's all.'' Hyun Suk said.

 

 

 

Slowly, the old man knelt down in front of them.

 

 

''This might not be enough for all the pains I've caused you. I'm not even asking for forgiveness coz I know it's impossible for you to give it to me.''  he said as he weeped.  ''But please, spare Mina and her children. Please... Blame it all on me. It was my fault! They're victims too.''

 

 

“Why does it have to be like this appa?” Eunju screamed all her emotions bottled up in her. “Just when I was ready to accept all my loss! Why just now?”

 

 

 

“I hope it’s not too late Eunju… I’m sorry.” The old man cried.

 

Dara lowered her gaze at the old man, her heart constricted by the sight.

 

Dara looked at Teddy and then at Bom who was now hugging her legs.

 

She was blinded by her own pain for a while.

 

She almost forgot how scary it was to live with her harabeoji. Mina whom she treated her omma for 29 years of her existence never treated her differently. Teddy, her oppa took care of her sometimes a bit more that how he takes care of her own sister Bom.

 

And Bom who was always there by her side to protect her, to ease her pain, to make her feel better. She helped her make her dreams come true in the fashion world. All days of her life, Bom was with her.

 

 

Slowly she reached for Bom's arms and lifted her up with her.

 

 

 

''Dara... I'm sorry. Please forgive me...'' Bom said once more before she felt Dara’s warm embrace.

 

 

''Bommie...'' Dara now was crying so hard. ''Bommie, I have a family... Bommie....'' she said in between sobs, sharing a news like Bom didn’t know about it.

 

 

 

''Shhh... You've always had right? I'm also your family, omma, oppa, harabeoji, right? All these years Dara... I'm sorry I became a coward and I never tried telling you everything.'' Bom said as she comforted Dara.

 

 

Dara broke from the hug and looked at the people before her. “O-ppa… Harabeoji… Please stand up.” She asked them but the two didn’t try a single movement.

 

 

“Dara-ah…” she heard her mother call her. Yes. Eunju, her real mother.

 

She smiled at her before slowly walking towards Teddy, passing by her father Hyun Suk.

 

 

“Oppa…” She called him as she held his arms and pulled him up. “Thank you…” she smiled and wiped her tears. “Thank you so much for being my oppa… for acting like my father too all these years.” She said, making the guy hug her tight

 

 

Dara pulled herself from the hug and started walking towards Mina.

 

“Omma.” She said making Eunju flinch with the tenderness of her voice calling Mina her omma. She knelt down and held Mina by her hands. “Thank you for treating me like your own true daughter. I could never be grateful enough all my life.” She told her sincerely before turning to her grandfather.

 

 

“H-h-arabeoji…” she held the old man’s shoulder while her other hand landed on his hand. “Please, stand up. You don’t have to do this…”

 

 

The old man slowly lifted his gaze up her face. “D-dara…” he called her name as tears continued to flow. “I’m sorry my dear… I’m sorry!” he said before engulfing her into a tight embrace. “Blame me! Your harabeoji is a terrible person. Get mad at me, Dara-ah. I don’t deserve this from you after all that I’ve done” the old man cried and Dara tightened her hold.

 

 

 

“I’ve dreamed for a complete family, harabeoji… What’s the use in finding my own and letting you suffer like this? Let’s start anew… I want to feel how it is to have a family… To live without the lies… To be with the people I care for…” She said making the old man nod and sat back up to his chair. Dara then wiped her tears before standing up and turning towards Eunju. She then shifted her gaze to her father.

 

 

 

“C-c-an… Can I get a hug from you, too?” Dara hesitated to ask the question but nevertheless continued. She looked at Jiyong and he smiled at her as if signaling her to go on. This was her chance.

 

 

Without a word, Eunju wrapped her arms around the Dara and Hyun Suk ran towards the two most important women in his life.

 

 

“I thought you'd never ask, princess,” Hyun Suk said as he Dara’s back.

“Oh you don’t  have any idea, Dara!” Eunju hugged her daughter tightly as if never wanting to let go… “Call me omma! Call me omma!” she said in between her sobs.

 

 

Dara closed her eyes and drowned herself in the warmth of that hug.

 

“O-mma… A-ppa…” she said making her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter