Chapter 9

Oh! Brother

 

"Minji where were you yesterday?" Hani asked as I opened my locker. "Some family emergency came up." I lied. More like I had to babysit, but it's okay since I got rewarded with the most embarrassing picture of Lay.

 

"That's weird Lay didn't come either I wonder if he's okay." Hani said more to herself. I froze up, I still haven't told Hani that Lay was my suppose step-brother and I'm not sure if I want to.

 

How will she react? She might be mad and never talk to me again since she cares about Lay for some strange reason.

 

"Uh...really?" I tried and played it off cool, "I'm sure a lot of people missed school yesterday." Yes Minji, keep playing it cool. "Oh yeah!" Hani snapped her fingers.

 

I closed my locker and looked at her, "what?" "We had a surprise math test yesterday." she replied. My eyes widen and my soul left my body, "what?!" 

 

Hani nodded, "I forgot to text you last night." "You think!" I yelled. If their's any subject that I at more than anything it's math. I mean who needs math after you know the basics. When am I going to use the Pythagorean theorem in life?

 

I rubbed my temples, "was it hard?" I asked Hani as we walked down the hall. "Somewhat, there's some that I had trouble on." she replied. "Great," I lifted my arms in the air, "I'm going to fail."

 

I had math in first period and quickly went up to Mr. Hyuk. "Mr. Hyuk." I said. "Good morning Minji, we all missed you yesterday." he said not taking his eyes off the computer.

 

"Yeah I know. Did we have a test?" I crossed my fingers hoping he'll say no. "Yes and you missed it which means you have to make it up soon on your own time." he replied.

 

My shoulders sank, "d-do I have to take it? Can I have an extra day to study?" Again I crossed my fingers. "No you should know this by now." he replied. Okay this crossing your fingers thing doesn't work. 

 

I sighed, "can I come during lunch?" Mr. Hyuk looked up at me and nodded, "yes you may now have a seat." I bowed and made my way to my seat, unhappy.

 

~~~~

 

"What are you doing?" Hani ask as she sat down with her tray. "I'm trying to cram everything I know before I have to go." I replied. "You're leaving?" Hani asked in a worried tone.

 

I looked at her and nodded, "sorry I have to makeup the test." Hani pouted, "I'm going to be alone." I placed my arm on her shoulder, "it's okay I think it's time you leave the nest young bird." I said in a serious tone.

 

Hani broke into a smiled, "just go you weirdo." I smiled and got up taking her apple, "wish me luck."

 

I walked into Mr. Hyuk's room, doesn't this guy ever leave his class? I bowed as he looked at me. "Oh Minji you're here we can start now." he got up. 

 

I turned to my desk and found Lay waiting. My eyes widen, "w-what is  h-he doing here?" I pointed at him. "Mr. Hyuk came forward holding two papers, "the two of you need to makeup this test."

 

I looked at Lay who was staring into space. He's probably still upset about the whole picture thing. I sighed and sat next to him.

 

"Okay no cheating you have 30 minutes and you can start now." he said looking at his watch. I quickly opened the packet.

 

Question 1: Prove the following identity: (secθ - cosθ)(1 + tanθ + cotθ) = tanθsecθ - cotθcosecθ  

 

My mouth fell open, how the heck am I suppose to do this?! I looked at Mr. Hyuk who was reading a book. I looked back down, "uh Mr. Hyuk?" I raised my hand.

 

"Yes Minji." he looked up. "I need help." I pointed at the paper. "You know I can't help you on a test Minji." he said looking back at his book.

 

"Damn." I whispered. About 15 minutes passed and I was still on the first questions, all the other problems looked just as hard then the ious ones. I looked over at Lay who was writing some strange numbers down.

 

I looked at Mr. Hyuk who was so into his book and back to Lay. "Psst." I whispered. Lay ignored my and continued writing. "Psst." I said a little louder.

 

He looked up at me with a glare. "Can you help me?" I pointed at the test. Lay looked at me then back at his paper and continued working. Aish this jerk!

 

I made sure Mr.Hyuk wasn't looking and pecked over. "Number one's C." I whispered and marked it down. Lay quickly picked up his paper, "no cheating!" he said out loud. I froze and glared at him, "Lay."

 

"Minji are you cheating?" Mr. Hyuk asked getting up from his seat. I looked at him and slowly went back to my chair, "no."  "Minji bring your test forward." he ordered.

 

I closed my eyes and slowly got up, "yes sir." I walked over and handed him the test. "Okay you got the first one right, but can you tell me how you got it?" Mr Hyuk asked.

 

I swallowed hard, "lucky guess." "Yeah right." Mr Hyuk grabbed his red marker and put a big fat 0 on it. I closed my eyes and sighed.

 

"And for cheating you have to stay after school and clean the entire math department." Mr. Hyuk said. My mouth fell, "what?!" "Here you go Mr. Hyuk." Lay came and handed him his test. "Thank you Yixing." he said taking it.

 

I glared at Lay as he smirked and walked out. My shoulders sank, "you got that Minji?" Mr. Hyuk asked. I nodded, "yes sir..."

 

"So how did you do?" Hani asked as I met up with her. "Horrible." I sighed and flopped down, "I got am F for cheating." Hani gasped, "cheating?!" 

 

I looked at her, "it's not a big deal I just have to stay after school." Hani gave me a weird look, "wait who did you try to cheat off of?" I grew stiff, "uh..."

 

"Good afternoon everyone please take out your text books and turn to page 120." Ms. Byun said as she came in. "Oh I can't tell you." I quickly grabbed my book and did as I was told for the first time.

 

The rest of the day dragged on and by the time the final bell rang I was more than happy to go home. "Okay bye Yoona." I waved and existed the room.

 

I walked down to my locker. "Doesn't someone have to stay after school?" I heard someone say. I turned around and saw Lay smiling. "Haha you're so funny." I glared at him and opened my locker, "you know you could have just helped me out."

 

"But that's called cheating." he said. "No it's called sharing answers idiot." I grabbed my English workbook. "Yeah I'm the idiot who got in trouble and has to stay after school." Lay said sarcastically.

 

I slammed my locker, "I hate you!" "Same here." he said before walking off. I watched as he walked down the hallway. I blew the hair out of my face, "I'll get him one day." I said clenching my fist.

 

~~~~

 

"Minji you're here." Mr. Hyuk said as I stepped into his room. "Yeah." I placed my bag on a near by desk, "here for my punishment." 

 

"Good I'm still grading tests so you may start in Mrs. Kim's class which is at the end of the hall and work your way up." he said. I bowed, "yes sir."

 

I dragged a broom all the way down the hall, "I hate this so much." I complained. I walked in and found another person erasing the board. I was surprised, "uh hello?"

 

They turned around and my heart skipped a beat, "Tao!" He smiled and put the eraser down, "you have detention too?" he asked with a smile on his face.

 

I brighten up, "yeah, why are you here?" I asked, this might not be such a bad punishment after all. "I talked back to Mr. Hyuk today." he replied and started walking towards me, "you?"

 

I sighed, "I was caught cheating on a test." I replied. "Really?!" Tao's eyebrows lifted up, "I never knew you were that type." he said. "What type?" I asked.

 

"You know," he smiled and met me, "the bad girl type." I blushed and looked down, "I'm not bad." I hit him playfully. Tao laughed, "come on let's hurry and clean up." I smiled and nodded.

 

I got a boy meotjin! I got a boy chakhan! I got a boy handsome boy nae mam da gajyeogan! 

 

Both Tao and I were singing like there was no tomorrow while we swiped the floors. We burst out laughing, "oh this is so embarrassing." Tao face palmed himself. I laughed, "I think it's cute."

 

Tao looked at me and smiled, "so do you have a boy? A handsome boy? A kind one?" he asked and started dancing. I laughed, "no." Tao stopped, "really?"

 

I nodded, "yup no handsome or kind boy for me." I said picking up the dust pan. "Why not?" he asked. I got up and looked at him, "uh...because I just don't." I said not knowing how to response.

 

"But you're so pretty." Tao said grabbing the dust pan from me and swiping his dirt. My eyes widen, "really?!" He got up and smiled, "yeah." I looked away and blushed, Tao thinks I'm pretty! 

 

~~~~

 

LAY POV

 

"Yixing's where Minji?" my mom asked as she looked around the living room. I shrugged my shoulders, "how should I know?" I said changing the channel.

 

"You didn't walk home with her?" my mom crossed her arms. "No I never do." I replied. "Zhang Yixing." she scolded. I sighed, "what?" "Do you know there's a lot of crazy erts out there at night." she said.

 

"And?" I looked at her. She snatched the control away from me. "Hey!" I yelled. "Go get Minji right now!" she pointed at the door. "But mom-" "No but's hurry before it gets too late." she grabbed me. I groaned, "ugh I hate this." 

 

Stupid Minji, she's always ruining my life. I put on my shoes and headed out. The night breeze hit me sending a chill down my spine. "I really hate Minji right now."

 

I arrived at the school gate and checked my watch, "it's almost 8 shouldn't she be out by now?" I asked myself. I shoved my hands in my pockets and waited. Minji owes me big time.

 

About 30 minutes passed and I was freezing my off, "ugh what if she already left?" I said out loud and blew hot air inside my hands.

 

I looked at the school entrance and there was no sign of anyone coming out anytime soon. "Ugh screw this!" I kicked the floor and started heading off when I heard laughter.

 

I quickly turned around, "Minji?" I saw her laughing and walking next to a guy. I squinted my eyes to get a better look, "who's that?" I asked out loud.

 

Just then they came in better view, "Tao!" I panicked and quickly hid behind a tree.

 

Ice cream Ice cream. I'll melt you down like ice cream. Ice cream. Ice cream. I'll melt you down like ice cream.

 

They came out singing and laughing. I got a disgusting feeling inside me, "ew what the heck is she doing?" 

 

"Omo Tao I had so much fun today." she laughed hitting him playfully on the arm. "Me too." Tao smiled and placed his arm around her. 

 

I got a bad feeling inside me when I saw the two walk out the school gates. I came out of my hiding spot, "this is bad." I said out loud.

 

It's not that I hate Tao, but I know he's not good for Minji. I shook my head, what am I thinking? If she wants to be with him then that's her problem not mine.

 

I started walking out, then why do I have such a bad feeling inside me?

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» haha I was listening to nothing but girl groups while I made this update can you tell?? Anyway I hoped you enjoyed. Don't forget to comment and subscribe ^^ Have a nice day~