Chapter 36

Oh! Brother

 

"Santa Claus is coming to town~" the loud music playing from downstairs woke me. A smile appeared on my face. I still haven't confessed, but maybe tonight would be the night. No tonight will be the night! No more holding back. If Lay doesn't accept me well...I can't say I didn't try.

 

I skipped downstairs. "Morning." I greeted everyone. "Morning." my dad sipped his coffee. I went behind and hugged him, "someone's happy." he said setting his mug down on the table. I pulled away and smiled, "I can't be happy?" "Yes," he shook his head, "I'm glad you're happy." I kissed his cheek and went to the kitchen.

 

"What do you mean no one's coming?!" Mei yelled. "They called me last night and don't yell at me!" Qui yelled at her. "But it's Christmas! How can they say they can't come?" Mei questioned. Qui rubbed her temples, "I don't know. Looks like it's just us this year...again." I cleared my throat and came in.

 

"Oh hey Minji." Qui smiled. "Is something wrong?" I asked. "No," Qui shook her head, "we're just having a little family crisis, but don't worry." she replied. "Can I help?" I asked. Qui smiled, "no honey, but you can help later on." I nodded, "okay." Mei sighed, "I swear I'm going to murder my own family." Qui took a deep breath and took her phone out.

 

I slowly walked out leaving them to their business. "Then all the reindeer loved him!~" the door swung open and in came Victoria singing. "Oh hey." she smiled and set a large box down. "What's that?" I pointed at the box. Victoria started to take gifts out and set them under Mei's Christmas tree.

 

"Presents silly." she replied. "Oh I got you something too." she shook a small box. My eyes widen, "really?!" Crap! I didn't get her nothing. She nodded, "it's nothing really so don't freak out." The music suddenly stopped and I turned around. Lay put his hands in his pocket, "I hate that song." he said.

 

"Yixing!" Victoria got up and ran to him, "morning." "Morning." Lay smiled slightly. "Do you want some hot chocolate?" she asked. Lay shook his head, "not now, but thanks." Victoria pouted, "so is the rest of your family coming?" Lay shrugged his shoulders, "probably not."

 

"They're not." I was surprised. Lay nodded, "it wouldn't be the first time." His tone sounded depressing. Victoria rubbed his arm, "it's okay." I grew a little jealous. Why wasn't he pulling away? He's not suppose to let her touch him! "I'm sure they'll show up." I smiled.

 

Lay looked up and nodded, "you're right." he smiled revealing his adorable dimple. Victoria gave me a serious look, "I'll go help Mei." she excused herself. I looked down and bit my lip, "so what do you guys usually do on Christmas eve ?" I asked. Lay took a deep breath, "nothing. Eat, talk, then sleep." he replied.

 

"That's it?" I asked. "Yeah." he nodded, "why? What do you do?" he asked with a raised brow. I grinned, "well...you'll see later tonight." Lay gave me a thumbs down, "boo!" I laughed, "don't worry you'll love it." He smiled, "oh are you busy?" he asked. I shook my head, "no, why?"

 

"Grab your coat." he said walking upstairs. "Wait!" I called out, "where are we going? Everything's closed." Lay turned around, "not everything." I raised a brow and followed behind him. 

 

~~~~

 

"A graveyard?" I looked out the window. The tombstones were buried under feet of snow. And the red roses placed on top of some gave off a peaceful feel. "You said you'd accompany me." Lay replied taking off his seatbelt and reaching to the back seat.

 

I followed his arm as he brought forward a bouquet of red roses. "Oh," it finally hit me, "your father." Lay nodded and got out. I huge chill ran down my spine. This was the day I was going to meet Lay's dad. I've never felt so nervous in my entire life.

 

I opened the car door letting the cold wind blow my hair to my face. I saw Lay standing in front of a tombstone holding on to the roses and it looked like he was whispering. I slowly approached him and looked at the stone in front of me. "Sorry." Lay said. I looked at him.

 

"Sorry I haven't came to visit you." he continued. It came to my attention that he was talking to his father. "So much has happen in the past few months I'm not sure if I can keep up." I smiled and listened closely. "I turned 18 not that long ago, but I don't feel old." he laughed, "I know 18, that's old?" 

 

"And on the day of my birthday my mom announced that she was getting married." Lay took a deep breath, "I was angry at first, beyond pissed. Why would she do that to you?" I started to get emotional. "I mean does she not love you? Those were the things that were running though my mind, but I was wrong. I was judging someone I've never even met."

 

I took a deep breath trying not to cry. I've never heard or seen this side of Lay, it's heartbreaking yet revealing. He is human after all. "But after getting to know him I've realized he's perfect for mom. And if you were here you'd like him too dad. He's funny and really nice. Especially to mom. I sometimes feel that she takes control and walks over him."

 

I let out a small laugh, it was true. "And that day I also met my new step-sister." I looked at him, oh no what's he going to say about me? "And she's the one I can't stand." My heart sank. "She's rude, stupid, clumsy, careless, selfish and acts like a kid." I felt like crap, thanks. "But she's different, she loves to smile, she always keeps you on your feet, and knows how to have fun. I think that's one thing I envy about her, that she's just living her life unlike me. Who's trying hard to get out of the past."

 

Tears escaped my eyes, don't say that. "Guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm finally opening my heart again. I've accept them into my life and into our family." Lay bent down and placed the roses on the snow, "please accept them too dad." I sniffed in my tears, "L-lay." 

 

He suddenly fell to his knees and began to weep. I bent down and rubbed his back, "Lay." He sniffed in his tears trying not to cry, but it was obvious that he was hurt. His body began to shake and I held onto him tight. I never want to see Lay cry because it hurts me deeply.

 

I guess I've never realized how hard it was on him to accept us. My father, me, his new life. He was still trying to get over the lost of his father while his mother had already moved on. I've never felt so much pain physically and mentally. Lay really is a strong person, but even the strongest people need to cry. So today I will give him a shoulder to lean and cry on.

 

~~~~

 

"Where did you two go?" my dad asked as we came in. There was music and people yelling. "Sorry I wanted to show Minji something." Lay replied and bowed. My dad patted his shoulder, "it's okay. Minji hurry and go help Qui and her mother." I quickly took off my boots and ran to the source of the yelling.

 

"You don't like me drinking? Then close your eyes!" Mei through a glass at Qui, but was so far off that Qui didn't even flinch or move. "Mom you can't drink, you know how you get when you drink." Qui said in a calm voice. "If my own flesh and blood aren't coming then why bother?" Mei took a large sip of her champagne.

 

"What's going on?" I asked Victoria. She shrugged her shoulders, "apparently Qui doesn't like Mei drinking and I don't blame her." she replied. Just then Mei got on top of a table, "baby baby baby OHHHHH~" "AHHHH SHUT UP!" Qui yelled and covered her ears.

 

"Heyyyy y layday!" "Mei that's already out of date." Victoria reminded her. Just then Mei started to do the Gangnam Style on the table, "I love Psy!" I gasped, "she's going to fall!" I cried and ran to her. Mei smiled and climbed down, "are you here to catch my running fridge, oops you better go catch it." she laughed.

 

"Mom that's not how it goes." Qui sighed. Mei hugged her, "my kind daughter came and visited unlike her selfish sisters." she began to cry, "I love my baby so much!" Qui rolled her eyes, "I'm going to put her sleep." she excused herself and took Mei upstairs.

 

My eyes were wide, "w-what just happened?" There was a ding. "Oh turkeys ready." Victoria clapped and ran to the stove. "Oh yeah do you guys need help?" I asked. "Not anymore, everything's made we were just waiting on the turkey." she replied. "By the way where did you go?" she asked setting the hot, fresh, turkey down.

 

"Uh..." "We went to visit my dad." Lay came in. Victoria gasped, "Yixing you know your mom-" "I don't care. Is the food ready?" he cut her off. Victoria was caught off guard, "y-yeah I'll just set the table." I could feel the tension rise in the room. I bit my lip and slowly existed.

 

"So dad what you doing?" I asked stepping into the living room. "Crap!" he yelled. "Dad?" He got up and his finger, "I'm trying to start the fire." he said. I nodded, "oh...good luck." "Okay Mei is asleep so no one bother her." Qui came back downstairs.

 

"Is dinner ready?" she asked. I nodded, "yes." "Great, well lets start eating." she clapped her hands. My dad gave up and followed behind her. The table was already set with a nice candle set in the middle, a deep red cloth, wine glasses and a massive turkey set beside the candle. I got excited and sat down.

 

"Victoria aren't your parents coming?" Qui asked. "No, they're going to be at church all night." she replied. "And you didn't want to go?" she asked. "Well not really. All they do is pray and sing Christmas carols. I'm going to do that tomorrow." Victoria replied. Qui nodded, "okay well we'll save them some just in case they show up." "Okay." Victoria smiled.

 

"Okay well let's dig in." my dad clapped his hands. "Yes thanks for the food." we chanted and began to grab food from different directions. "This is nice." Qui said starting the conversation. My dad nodded, "quiet, it's relaxing." Qui nodded. I on the other hand was so close to falling into my mash potatoes from the boredom.

 

"So..." I trailed on as soon as we finished, "does anyone want to try karaoke?" My dad raised a brow, "lets make it challenging." I smirked, "losing team does the dare?" My dad nodded, "oh yeah." Everyone else looked confused, "what?" Qui asked.

 

"We team up in pairs." I began to explain. "And the one who receives the lowest score has to do a dare." my dad finished. "Do you have a karaoke system?" I asked. Qui nodded, "yeah and that sounds like fun." "I have Yixing!" Victoria clang onto his arm. "Honey?" Qui raised a brow. "I'm with you." my dad said.

 

"Wait!" I threw my hands in the air, "who's with me?" "O-oo-o Opan gangnam style." Mei came back downstairs. "Oh no!"

 

~~~~

 

"No Mei you're holding it up side down." I grabbed the mic and held it upward. "Don't touch me!" she slapped my hand. I sighed, "I'm going to lose." "Ready?" Victoria asked. "Go!" Mei raised her hand. "Okay." Victoria pressed play and the sang began.

 

The song sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite put my hand on it. "Oh I love this!" Mei laughed, "Giuchie giuchie yaya dada!" she began. Then it hit me, "oh..." I straighten my back, "mocha chocalata yaya." I began. "Creole lady marmalade!" we sang together causing everyone to laugh.

 

"Score...47." my dad read out loud and laughed. My shoulders sank, "but we were good right Mei?" I turned to her, but she had passed out on the couch. I sighed, "great." "Our turn." Victoria got up pulling Lay with her, "we're going to sing the song that Lay wrote when we were in middle school." she said.

 

"Middle school?" I titled my head. Lay picked the song and grabbed the mic. "It's called Miss you miss you." he said. I sat up and anticipated it. The music stared and the two raised their mics.

 

Your smile, it’s so sweet

I can’t resist the corner of your lips that’s rising

I don’t want to part with this scene

Oh my baby girl I just can’t forget

 

I swayed my head left and right. They were actually good! Together! I wanted to hate Victoria, but I just couldn't. The song was perfect and their two voices matched very well. Almost as they were meant to sing it together. 

 

The song ended and we all clapped. "Thank you." Victoria bowed, "we're here every Thursday." she joked. "What's the score?" Qui asked. I leaned over and watched as the numbers went up and down. "Wow!" we were all shocked, "120!" "Yes!" Victoria jumped and high fived Lay.

 

"Looks like you lost." my dad reminded me. I pouted, "Mei get your up!" Mei snored and turned to her side. "Okay we dare you to..." my dad trailed off. "Go out into the woods and call Slender Man." Victoria snapped her fingers. "What?!" I began to shake. "Who's Slender Man?" Qui asked. "No one, Minji you don't have to do that." Lay said. I sighed in relief, "thanks."  "Instead I dare you to do the cinnamon challenge." he smirked. My eyes widen, "what?" 

 

 

 

"Wait she has to actually swallow cinnamon?" my dad asked. Lay nodded, "that's the challenge." "Isn't it dangerous?" Qui asked. "Not really as long as you have water." Victoria added. I looked at the cinnamon, "I'm going to die." "You'll be fine." I felt Lay message my shoulders. My heart began to race and I looked at him, "really?" He smiled and nodded, "really."

 

"Okay on three." Victoria said. "One.two.three go!" everyone cheered and I quickly shoved the spoon in my mouth. "Oh g-god." I closed my eyes as my throat grew dry and my eyes burned. "Ah!" I panicked and jumped up and down. "Keep going!" everyone encouraged me.

 

I shook my head and felt as if I was going to throw up. "I can't." I cried and spit into the sink. "Oh you failed." everyone groaned. Lay handed me my water, "hurry and drink." I took the cup and chugged it down. "I-It won't go down!" I yelled and jumped. "Keep drinking it." my dad rubbed my back.

 

The taste burn my throat and it never went away. "Ew!" I cried and ran to the restroom to fully dispose of this nasty taste.

 

~~~~

 

3RD POV

 

"I can't believe she did it." Lay said walking into the living room. "Yeah she's brave." Victoria added. "Well kids it's late we're heading in don't stay up too late." Mr. Lee announced. "Okay." Lay nodded as his mom and Mr. Lee went upstairs. "I don't think Mei will remember anything." Victoria laughed.

 

Lay smiled, "it's funny hows she's the oldest, yet acts the youngest." Victoria nodded, "she's a fun granny." Lay looked at his watch, it's almost midnight I should go outside. "Yixing." Victoria grabbed his arm, "yeah?" he asked. "C-can we talk in private?" she asked.

 

"We are in private." Lay said. Victoria sighed, "okay...," she took a deep breath, "I...like you." she confessed. Lay nodded, "I like you too." "No," Victoria shook her head, "I really like you...as in I love you." Lay eye's widen, "what?" Victoria looked down, "I know you may look at me as the child-hood friend, but I've grown to like you. In fact I've always liked you. Even when we were young." she explained.

 

Lay furrowed his eyebrows, he clearly wasn't excepting this and not now. "Then why haven't you told me?" he asked. Victoria shook her shoulders, "I don't know. I mean when I left in the beginning of high school to study abroad I was hoping when I came back I would tell you. But then you left to study abroad and haven't came back till now." she replied feeling uneasy, "so here's my confession."

 

Lay was at a lost for words. Yes he knew Victoria liked him, but not like that. He was hoping it was more of the same feeling he had for her, a just friends relationship. 

 

 

 

"Oh god that was awful." Minji rinsed finally getting the taste of cinnamon out. She flushed the toilet and went to brush her teeth. She looked at herself in the mirror and got a weird feeling. She dried and checked her phone, "oh it's almost midnight." she quickly fixed her hair, "I forgot about Lay." 

 

Minji ran to her room and grabbed Lay's present, which had to be home made, and ran downstairs. "So here's my confession." she heard someone say. Minji slowly down and pecked into the living room. Victoria was standing in front of Lay with his back facing her.

 

Victoria looked sad and Minji bit her lip, please tell me she hasn't confessed. "Victoria I..." Lay trailed on, "I-I don't know what to say." Victoria looked down feeling a rejection coming, "I understand." she looked up. "I promise I'll let you go if..." "If what?" Lay asked.

 

Just then Victoria grabbed him by the collar and pulled him in for a kiss. Minji's eyes widen and she covered to keep her from making a sound. Oh no! Her heart shattered into a million pieces. No! She closed her eyes and shook her head. I was too late. Tears escaped Minji's eyes and she ran back upstairs to lock herself in her room.

 

"Victoria!" Lay pulled her away. Victoria began to cry, "I'm sorry I just wanted to do that all my life." Lay sighed, he can't be mad at Victoria. She was that special and close to ever be mad at. "No I'm sorry." Lay brought her into a hug as she cried, "I'm sorry I can't accept your confession."

 

Victoria nodded, "I-I know." she pulled away, "I just needed to tell you." Lay smiled and wiped her tears away with his thumb, "I know I know and I respect you for that, but I know there's someone out there that's perfect for you." Victoria looked up at him, "really?"

 

Lay nodded, "and he's not me." Victoria sniffed her tears in, "please don't hate me." Lay smiled and kissed her forehead, "I can never hate you." Victoria hugged him one last time before she had to return home. 

 

 

 

Lay checked his watch and went outside. "Now time for me to confess." he told himself and waited outside under the never ending, star filled, night sky. He looked up and smiled, "this is it." He checked his watch again, "Minji where are you?" he puffed his cheeks and kicked the ground.

 

"Did she forget?" he asked himself. Lay looked at Minji's window and saw that the light was on. Little did he know that she was crying her eyes out. He saw it turn off, "I'll just wait she's coming." He pulled out the small box and smiled, "I'll just wait a little longer." he said placing it back into his pocket.

 

Hours passed and still no sign of Minji anywhere. But Lay refused to go inside even though it was below degrees outside. "She'll be here." he reminded himself for the remaining of the night.

 

"She's coming." 

"She'll show up."

"She's just in the restroom."

"Don't worry she'll be here."

 

The sun began to rise from the horizon and Lay could no longer feel his face or body. He yawned and dug his face into his scarf, "don't worry...she'll be here."

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» aw sorry Yixing, but she's not showing up now get your crazy behind inside before you get frost bite! Sorry for the long wait. I was busy with school, but I'm back. Please click here to up vote if you want to know what happens next. Share your comments and please subscribe~ Happy Reading^^ oh and did you guys like my April Fools joke?? xD