Chapter 32

Oh! Brother

 

Red = Chinese

 

"Come on Minji, come out already." Lay knocked after I pushed him out and locked myself in the restroom. "No!" I cried, "I-I'm ugly." I cried and touched my swollen face. "No you look fine." Lay said. "Then why did you laugh?!" I shouted. I heard Lay chuckled, "I'm sorry, your reaction was just funny." he replied.

 

I sniffed my tears in, "see I look funny." "No you don't, now come out already." he knocked on the door again. I shook my head as if he could see me through the closed door, "no!" "Minji." I heard a door open, "we're back." It was my dad. "Oh hey Mr. Lee." Lay said.

 

I held my ear against the door to get a better hearing. "She locked herself in the restroom." Lay said. "Oh no." I gasped and backed away. "Minji." I heard my dad knock, "you okay?" he asked. "Go away I look like an ugly troll!" I shouted. "She's been saying that since she saw herself." Lay said.

 

"Minji, sweetie. Please come out." Qui said in a calming tone.  I took a deep breath, "promise you won't laugh." "We promise." Qui said. "Fine." I gave in and besides I was getting sore from sitting on the toilet. I grabbed and turned the knob, "don't laugh." I said one last time before opening the door wide.

 

Everyone surrounded the door as I stepped out. "There." I said keeping my head down and my hair in my face. "Look at me." my dad ordered. I shook my head, "no." "Minji." my dad moved my hair. "No!" I cried and ran to the bed, but Lay caught me. "You look fine." he said grabbing me.

 

I finally looked up, "fine!" I snatched my arm out of his grip. "You happy?" I asked. Qui kept a straight face while my dad tried to hide his smile. "Appa?" "Puhahah!" he finally broke into laughter. "I said don't laugh." I cried and attempted to run back into the restroom, but Lay grabbed me.

 

"I'm sorry honey." my dad apologized, "it's just your cheeks look like a blowfish." he began to laugh again. "Stop it!" I cried and buried my face into Lay's chest so no one could see. "Honey stop it!" Qui scolded him, "Minji you look fine. That would go down by this afternoon."

 

"How do you know?" I mumbled still keeping my face against Lay's chest. "The doctor told us, in fact you're free to go anytime you want." she replied. I quickly pulled away, "what?! No I can't show my face to the public." I covered it using my hands. 

 

"Oh stop it Minji!" my dad finally got serious. "We were suppose to go visit Qui and Yixing's family today and thanks to you were running late." he scolded. My mouth dropped, "it's not my fault I ate tuna!" "Well you should have read the menu!" he argued back. "It was in Chinese!" I threw my hands in the air.

 

"Yah stop it!" Qui shouted. "Taehyun, your daughter could have died and now you're scolding her?" she crossed her arms and called him by his name which surprised me. I never heard her say his name, ever. "You don't know her like I do, she overreacts to everything." my dad argued.

 

"And? She has a right." Qui stood her ground and defended me. "A-are they fighting?" I whispered to Lay. "Looks like it." he replied. "Well she's fine now so lets go." my dad said storming out. "Yah get back here!" Qui yelled and chased after him. 

 

I turned to Lay, "what just happened?" "My mom was defending you idiot." he poked my head. "Ow. I know, but why?" I asked. Lay shrugged his shoulders, "I don't know, but we should go before they cause a scene." he started walking to the door. "I-I can't." I said stepping back remembering my ugly swollen face.

 

Lay sighed, "are you still concerned about your face?" he asked. I slowly nodded, "what if people stare?" Lay crossed his arms then came walking towards me. "W-what are you doing?" I asked as he got closer. "Come here." Just then he lifted his jacket and put it over my head as if he was trying to kidnap me.

 

"Yah what are you doing?!" I threw my hands around trying to get out. My face was pressing against Lay's tone, warm, chest and it sent chills down my spine. "This way no one will see you." Lay replied and started to walk. I struggled to keep up, having your face covered and walking at the same time is a lot harder than it looks.

 

"I'm going to fall." I cried. "Don't worry," Lay held me tighter against his chest, "I got you."

 

~~~~

 

The ride back to the hotel was quiet. There was so much tension in such a small taxi. I didn't like seeing my dad and Qui fight. Especially when I'm the cause of it. "Here." Lay said softly as he placed his headphone in my ear. I scooted closer to him and rested my head on his shoulder, "thank you."

 

 

"We're leaving in five minutes so hurry and change!" my dad ordered as he threw the door open. I slowly followed behind Lay. "You're going to break the door!" Qui yelled and went after him. I heard a door slam which made me jump. "Can't they just get over it?" I asked going to my room.

 

"I've never seen my mom so upset." Lay said following behind me. "And it's all my fault." I sighed and sat on the bed. "Don't blame yourself, I'm sure they're fighting about something else by now." he said comforting me. "Give me back my cookie!" I heard my dad yell. "No that's unhealthy!" Qui yelled.

 

"Told you." Lay said. I smiled, "you always know what to say." I turned to him. Lay shrugged his shoulders, "well I am awesome." I rolled my eyes and pushed him away, "go away I need to change." "Okay, but you know it's true." he said before existing the room. I smiled and laid back, "he's gone calm down." I said as I patted my chest.

 

 

 

 

"Why couldn't we take a taxi." Qui complained. "Because renting one is much cheaper!" my dad replied. "Don't raise your voice at me!" Qui argued back. "Well stop asking stupid questions." my dad said. "Stupid! You're calling me stupid now!"

 

"WILL YOU TWO SHUT UP!" Lay and I yelled. "What?" Qui and my dad were both in shock. "You've been fighting all day just stop." I said. "Yeah, Minji and I don't even fight like that anymore." Lay added. "GROW UP!" we both ended.

 

Qui glared at my dad, "they're right." "I know okay on three we apologize." he said. "Okay." Qui agreed. "One.two.three." The two stayed quiet. "Why didn't you do it?!" my dad yelled. "I don't have to apologize you do!" Qui shouted.

 

Lay and I sat back giving up.

 

 

 

"We're here." Qui announced. I woke from my nap and looked around. "Where are we?" I asked. "This is my grandmas ranch." Lay replied. My eyes widen, "what?!" "What's wrong?" he asked. "Y-you come from a farm family?" I asked not trying to sound disgusted. But I mean, ew I hate farms.

 

"Is there a problem?" Lay asked. "No!" I shook my head, "I just thought you were from the city...not a farm." Lay smiled, "you learn something new everyday." he said before getting out and closing the door. I hesitated, but opened the door. And I soon as I stepped out I felt flies fly around my face.

 

"Go away!" I swung my hand around. "They must like your perfume." Qui smiled. "Qui you never mentioned you lived in a farm." I said. "You never asked." she simply said. "D-did my dad know?" I asked not sure if I should mention him. She nodded, "yeah he knew."

 

Qui walked over to open the trunk. It suddenly hit me, I was about to meet Lay's family. I grew nervous and my dad wasn't helping. "Oh god what if they don't like me?" he asked himself. "You can't screw up." he said fixing his hair. I watched him, "appa you look like you're going to pass out."

 

"I might, promise you'll catch me." he looked at me. "Okay." I nodded, "yeah right." I said as I walked away and help Lay get our luggage. "Is your family mean?" I asked as I grabbed my bag. "Not really, my grandma is though." he replied. My eyes widen, "what?!"

 

"Ah it's my baby girl!" I heard a lady yell and run out with her arms open. "Hello mom." Qui smiled and went to hug her. I watched as the two reunited, I felt warm inside to see how quickly Qui's mood changed as soon as she was in the arms of her mother. It kind of made me think about my own, I wonder where she's at.

 

"Where's my grand baby?" she asked. "Yixing come say hi to your grandma." Qui called him over. "Wish me luck." he whispered as he walked over. "Hello grandma." he bowed. "Is that my Yixing?! You're so grown now." she smiled and pinched his cheek, "I remember when you were still pooping in your diapers." "Grandma." Lay said as she continued to pinch his cheeks.

 

I couldn't help but laugh. "They're cute." I said to my dad. "I know." he whispered. "Honey come here." Qui called out to him, "come meet my mother." "Y-yes." my dad went over quickly. "Hello Mrs.-" my dad tripped over his own foot and fell right in front of her.

 

I face palmed myself, nice first impression dad. "Sorry." my dad bowed and cleaned his knees. "Is he okay?" Qui's mom asked. "Yes." Qui smiled, "he's such a prankster." "Hello Mrs. Zhang, it's nice to finally meet you." my dad bowed. I was surprised, when did my dad learn Chinese?

 

"H-hello." Qui's mother bowed a little nervous. "And this is Minji, Taehyun's daughter." Qui held her hand out to me. "Come on." she said. "Me?" I pointed at myself. "Come here." Qui smiled. I nodded and approached them, "h-hello I'm Lee Minji." Qui's mom gave me a weird look, "what did she say?"

 

"She said hi." Lay replied. I bit my lip and stood next to my father. "Oh hello." her mother bowed. "Hello." I bowed again. Lay smiled and gave me a thumbs up. I smiled and turned to her. "She's cursed you shouldn't be around her." Qui's mom said. 

 

Everyone choked except for me. "W-what?" I asked looking at me dad. "She said you're cursed." he replied. "What?!" I was in shock. "Mom she's not cursed." Qui patted her shoulder. She shook her head, "I'm getting nothing but negative energy around her. I don't like it." she said walking back inside.

 

"Wait mom!" Qui ran after her. I was completely confused, "what?" "I'll go check on her, you two continue to unload the car." my dad said before running after them. "Does she hate me?" I asked Lay. He shook his head, "no she just believes she has this power and can sense danger and thinks you're cursed." he replied.

 

"Cursed?!" I was in shock, "I'm cursed?!" Lay shook his head, "don't believe her. One time she thought my goldfish was possessed." he said as he grabbed another suitcase from the trunk. "But what if it's true, what if I'm cursed? It all makes sense." I said walking away.

 

"Minji," Lay closed the trunk, "you're not cursed." I looked at him then back at the house. I saw Qui's mom sprinkling holy water at my direction. "Leave this poor girls soul alone you demon." "Mom stop it!" Qui grabbed her arm. I looked back at Lay confused, "i-is she trying to do some exorcism on me?"

 

Lay smiled, "oh you got to love my grandma." He grabbed a suitcase and began walking to the house. I helped and grabbed another one and followed behind him. "In the name of Jesus I-" "Mom stop!" Qui grabbed the cross that was in her hand. "Mrs. Zhang, no offense but my daughter is not cursed." my dad said.

 

"If I were you I would stay away from her." she said before walking inside, "she's not allowed inside." "Mom!" Qui went after here. I stopped outside the porch, "am I not allowed inside?" "I knew something would go wrong." my dad said to himself before going inside after Qui and her mother.

 

I pouted, "great, your grandma hates me." Lay patted my shoulder and smiled, "don't worry. Once she sees how amazing you are she'll like you."  I looked at him surprised, "you think I'm amazing?" Lay was caught off guard, "uh..." "Yixing?" someone came out of nowhere.

 

"Is that you?" she asked. There was tall and very pretty girl coming from beside the house and onto the porch. "Victoria?" Lay seemed shocked. "It is you!" she cheered and hugged him. I was confused and watched as she hugged him. "It's been too long." she said pulling away. "Y-yeah." Lay pulled away and scratched the back of his head.

 

"Oh Minji this is Victoria." he introduced us. "Hello." I bowed. "Hi." she waved and spoke in Korean. "You know Korean?" I was shocked. She laughed and nodded, "yes I studied in Korea for two years." she said holding two fingers up. I grew excited, finally someone else I can talk to.

 

"Cool! So are you like Yixing's cousin?" I asked. She laughed, "no." she replied. "Um I don't think-" "I'm his girlfriend." Victoria cut Lay off. My eyes widen, "what?" My heart sank. "Please save this girls soul." Qui's mom yelled and threw a cup of holy water at my face.

 

Maybe I am cursed.

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» I'm sorry if this update made a couple of you uncomfortable *bows* Liking the story so far? Please click here to up vote. Oh more drama...I like it lol. Please comment and subscribe ^^