Chapter 46

Oh! Brother

 

My mom. My biological mom? I don't have a biological mother. The only parent I have is my father not someone who left after giving birth to me. These thoughts ran through my head. I opened my mouth but nothing came out. "Minji?" my dad stepped forward. The wrinkles on his forehead grew deeper. I stepped back and clenched my fist, "I don't have a mom." I finally spoke up. 

 

"Minji, I know this can come to a shock to you but I think it's time you meet her." my father said. I shook my head and looked at him with a frown, "why should I? She clearly didn't want nothing to do with me that's why she left." the anger grew more and more inside me. I felt a hand grip on my shoulder and when I turned I found Lay looking down at me with a worried look.

 

I automatically stepped away from him. The last thing I need is someone feeling pity for me. I'm not some charity case for people to be feeling sorry for me. "She really wants to see you honey." Qui came towards me with a small smile on her face. I could tell she was forcing it. By now I'm sure my dad has told her how my own mother left us when I was only a week old. Something about taking a small break from all the stress. What was expected to be only a couple of days turned out being a whole 18 years. 

 

"I don't care!" I finally let my anger out, "what does she want from me? My forgiveness?" I stormed off and headed towards my room, "tell that lady she can go search for it somewhere else!" I let out one last yell before I slammed my door and threw myself on my bed. This has to be some joke, a really sick and mean joke.  I didn't even realize that tears were streaming down my face.

 

A couple of hours passed. No one bothered to check on me which I didn't mind. I would probably have kicked them out anyway. The time was now 10:15 p.m. The house sounded empty. I know around this time the house would be filled with everyone getting ready for bed. My dad brushing his teeth, Qui watching her favorite night time show. And even Lay, his room is usually filled with the noise of him playing with his guitar or video games. But today the noise was gone. It was completely quiet. 

 

I sat up and swung my legs over the bed. My uniform was still on my body and most likely wrinkled from my tossing and turning. I sighed and stood up. After thinking about it for a long time I realized I was curious about my mother. My "real" mom. I use the term loosely because she's not what I consider a mother. 

 

But I do wonder even as a child. Why did she leave me? Leave my dad? Did she hate me? What was she like? Does she need money? 

 

All these questions filled my mind. And as much as I tried to find an answer I couldn't. I know she's the only one that can answer it. And as much as I tried to ignore it I need to meet her. I need answers. 

 

I slowly opened my bedroom door and stepped out. My hair laid messy on my shoulder's. I took a deep breath and headed towards my dad's bedroom. The door was slightly open and I pushed it till it was fully open. Qui and my dad were both sitting up against the bed rest. 

 

"Minji!" Qui quickly got out of bed. My dad just sat up properly. I cleared my throat and looked directly at them. "Fine." I said, "I'll meet her but that's it. I won't promise I'll be nice. In fact I'm going to be extra bratty." Qui smiled and I heard my dad chuckle. "You can do whatever you want as long as you meet her." my dad said. Qui walked towards me with open arms and gave me a warm hug. I smiled and hugged her back. "I'm so glad you made the right decision." she rubbed my back before she pulled away.

 

I just smiled and nodded. "She wants to see you for lunch tomorrow." my dad announced. I looked towards him and nodded, "fine the faster I can get this over with the better."

 

~~~

 

"So you decided to do it?" Lay asked. It was the next morning and we were both walking towards school. Today I felt a bit better. I was over the shock and more into the 'getting this over with' attitude. 

 

I nodded and crossed my arms, "yeah might as well do it. I mean she is my mother after all." I said in disgust. Lay chuckled and placed his arm over my shoulder, "it'll be okay at least you have your both parents." I looked up at him, "that's not fair! You can't make this about you right now!" I complained.

 

Lay smiled and ruffled my hair, "don't worry I won't but I think it's good that you're meeting her." "You do?" I asked. "Yeah, you can't get your bad attitude from you dad." he teased. I pushed him away playfully and rolled my eyes, "shut up." "I'm serious! All that short temper can't come from just your dad." he continued. I glared at him and punched his arm. 

 

 

 

 

The rest of the day seemed like a blur. There was no way I was going to tell Hani about this. The last thing I need is someone tugging at my arm asking how I was feeling about this whole thing. I was also grateful for Lay. Every time he got the chance to see me alone he'd smile and remind me that everything was going to be okay. I would nod at him occasionally and smile in response. Then we'd part ways  as if nothing happened.

 

It was hard to keep this secret from my friends, but I still can't find the courage to tell them all. 'Hey guys guess what? Lay is going to be my step brother, oh and guess what else the wedding is next week. Oh and guess what else?! I'm meeting my mom today my real mom.' All that information seemed too shocking for anyone to hear. For now my plan is to lay low until I can catch my own breath.

 

"So what are we doing later on?" Hani asked as the final school bell rang. I shrugged and swung my bag over my shoulder, "nothing." I tried to remain as nonchalant as I could, "maybe help Qui out with some plans." I lied. "Oh that I was hoping we could hang out today." Hani sighed. I smiled softly and gave her a light pat on the shoulder, "sorry Hani I'll see you tomorrow." I said before we departed ways.

 

I headed out the school gate and home. I decided changing out of my uniform would be a good idea before I meet my mom. It's not that I cared about what I'd look like, it was just this uniform really needed to be dry cleaned and ironed. 

 

"Where's Yixing?" Qui asked as I headed inside. I shrugged completely forgetting about him, "I don't know." "Oh I was hoping he'd accompany you to the cafe where your mom arranged the meet up at 4:00." she sighed. "The cafe?" I asked. I was accepting her to come here but I guess not. It would have been too awkward.

 

Qui nodded and smiled as she approached me, "your favorite place. I told her that would be the best spot." "You talked to her?" I was shocked. Qui nodded again placing her gentle hand on my shoulder, "she called the house expecting your father but I answered and told her everything. She did sound a little upset afterwards." she furrowed her brows. "It's fine Qui don't worry too much about her." I placed my bag on the couch, "I'm just going to change real quick." Qui smiled and walked away.

 

I entered my room and let out a long sigh, "I should hurry. The quicker I can get this over with the better." I told myself. I quickly grabbed a pair of skinny jeans and a plain black t-shirt. There was no time for me to get all dolled up for this event. I ran my fingers through my hair and applied a light coat of mascara.

 

I skipped down the stairs and announced that I was leaving. Qui wished me good luck as I put on my lucky hoodie and headed out. The cold air hit my face and I placed my hands inside the pocket of my sweater. I looked around just in case I saw Lay but he was no where to be found. Talking to him once last time would somehow give me more strength, but unfortunately I couldn't stall any longer. It was already 4:15 so I gathered all my strength and decided to walk towards The Cafe.

 

Unlike any other day the place was surprisingly empty. Apart from the employers there was only three other people present. A student typing away on her lap top and a couple sharing a hot latte. I looked around searching for a middle aged women, but there was no one in sight. I sighed knowing this would happen. My mother ditched me once again. 

 

"Minji?" I heard someone call my name. I turned and behind me stood a 5'4 lady, she wore black secretary glasses and smelled of roses. "Yeah?" I crossed my arms and starred back at her. The stranger smiled wide and gasped. "Oh wow you're so beautiful." I stepped back realizing that the women standing in front of me was my own mother.

 

"M-Mo..." I couldn't even finish before she pulled me in for a tight hug. "I can't believe it's actually you." she cried aloud. The tightness was making me uncomfortable and I escaped from her embrace. "Yeah it's me." "I'm sorry." she stepped back whipping away her tears, "it's just I can't believe you came." I nodded and crossed my arms trying to hold myself from breaking down.

 

It was hard not to hate her right away. I mean she looked nice and didn't look like she needed money. "Come let's sit down." she walked towards the back where it was more secluded. I sat down and she settled across from me. She removed her coat and scooted in closer, "my names Eunchae." she smiled.

 

"Nice to meet you." I nodded my head lightly, "mines-" "Minji I know I named you." she chuckled. I cleared my throat and avoided eye contact. "So what do you want?" I asked. Eunchae reached for my hands but I moved them to my lap. "I'm here to meet you." she replied, "how's your life? Is it good?" I gave her a serious glare and nodded, "it's good. Dad's re-marrying in two weeks you know."

 

Eunchae nodded and looked down at her hand. I noticed she wasn't wearing a wedding ring. I was certain by now she would have re-married. Not to brag but my mom was really pretty for her age. "Yeah your step mom mentioned it, to be honest I never saw your father as the marrying type." she chuckled, "it took me seven years for him to finally agree on marriage." 

 

"It must have hurt then huh? Knowing that my dad is going to be with someone else." I smirked feeling a bit mischievous. Eunchae nodded and cleared , "I came to talk about you not your father." "Then answer this, why did you leave us?" It took everything in my power not to yell and make a scene. I kind of felt guilty by the way Eunchae looked down. I could tell she was on the verge of crying again, but not tears of joy.

 

"It was never my intention to leave you," she started, "you father and I were struggling. We tried many things to keep things under control but it was too hard." Tears were streaming down Eunchae's cheeks and somehow I felt my eyes water. "Minji I wanted to comeback I swear, but I couldn't face your father it was just too hard." 

 

I handed her a napkin, "it's okay as much as I want to hate you I can't." I chuckled to lighten up the mood. She smiled and whipped her tears away, "I did contact your father after a year I left but he refused to let me see you." This news was shocking to me. "Wait what?" I sat up straight. "Yes, I called all the time when you were little but your dad said everything was fine and that you don't need me." Eunchae explained.

 

"My dad lied." I scoffed, "he said you never once cared about me." Eunchae shook her head, "your father is very stubborn." "And all this time I hated you because I thought you didn't want me." Eunchae reached for my hand and held it, "I could never hate my child." she smiled. "Come on." she stood up and walked towards the exit. I followed behind her, "where are we going?" "We're going to do a little bonding." 

 

~~~

 

I arrived home a little late but I wasn't worried at all. Thanks to Eunchae I had five new outfits and a new cell phone. She was everything I didn't expect. She was nice, pretty and not to mention she had a lot of money. It turned out she's a nurse practitioner and is living in a fancy apartment complex with two cute dogs.

 

"Let's do this again." she smiled as she pulled up to the front of my house. I nodded with a grin, "of course." I stepped out her car and closed the door. I waved as she drove off and headed inside. 

 

"How was it?!" Qui scared me as she swung open the door before I could even reach it. "It was good." I replied and dropped my shopping bags by the door. "Turns out she doesn't need money like I thought and is very nice." I laughed and took of my shoes. "Did she say anything about me?" my dad asked as he stood up from the couch.

 

I forced a smile, "nope she didn't say nothing at all." I lied and turned away, "in fact Eunchae did say she wanted to meet everyone." "What?!" my dad and Qui both said in shock. I saw Lay appear and stand by the living room door.

 

 

I nodded, "yeah so I decided to invite her to the wedding." I smiled and headed towards Lay's direction. "Minji why would you invite her?" my dad asked. I turned to him, "because she's my mother and I think she should be apart of my life now. In fact I'm thinking about moving in with her soon."

 

"What?!" everyone gasped, including Lay.

 

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» so yeah it's been almost a year since my last update. I'M SO SORRY!!! I was busy with school and getting settled down with my new job that I didn't have time to update as much as I wanted. And I also had writer's block which is a pain >< but I will be finishing this fic soon so look forward to that. It's been a long journey but this fic is close to coming to it's end ;~; Anyway I hope you enjoyed this update!! And happy belated new year lol

Happy reading~ ily