Chapter 48

Oh! Brother

 

 

A Few Days Later

 

The date was approaching faster than I had expected. I hardly see Qui since she was always busy arranging things. If it wasn't the decorations it was her dress. Even my dad was starting to panic a bit, talking about how close the day was and he has yet to write his vowels. In other words for the past few days this house has been completely out of control.

 

It was a Friday and Lay and I were having our normal dinner alone since both my dad and Qui were off doing wedding rehearsals. "The big day's tomorrow. Are you nervous?" he asked me. I shook my head and picked at the kimchi fried rice that we decided to order that night. "I'm not the one getting married." I laughed and Lay nodded.

 

"True, but still it's finally here." I smiled and turned to him, "Lay I have something to tell you." He looked at me with a concerned look, "what is it?" I swallowed hard and played with my fingers. "I think it's best if we just end whatever we had." I confessed hanging my head low, "I mean I like you I really do but I care about my dad's feelings more. I've never seen him this happy and I don't want to ruin his happiness by us confessing our feelings for each other to them."

 

Lay remained quiet and would occasionally nod. "We should just tell everyone that we're step siblings and that's it nothing else." I continued, "and we should start acting like siblings as well." "Is that what you really want?" Lay asked placing his hand under my chin and making me look at him.

 

It was hard to lie to his face but I had to, "yes I do I really do." Lay moved his hand and looked away, I kept my eyes on him but he wouldn't look my way. "Lay?" I reached for his arm, but before I could he got up and took his plate. "Alright then." he said and walked away.

 

I felt my heart sink and not in the good way. I instantly rejected lying to him. I grabbed my things and turned off the tv and cleaned up my area. I then proceeded to room and tried to get at least some sleep. Tomorrow was the big day and I'm going to need all the strength I can to get through the day.

 

LAY'S POV

 

I felt bad for leaving Minji like that, but what could I do? She rejected me even before I could confess to her? I furrowed my brows in confusion. "So much for my surprise." I said aloud and threw myself on my bed letting out a long sigh.

 

For my toast speech I had it all planned out. I was going to wish my mom and Minji's dad a happy and long life together. And for the main event I was going to look Mr. Lee straight in the eyes and ask for his permission to start dating his daughter. But now that Minji said she doesn't want to be together what was the point?

 

Maybe Minji is right, I suppose it would be weird if step-siblings did date. I laid back and starred at the ceiling placing my hands behind my head. I wonder how life will be like from now on. Would things change? Most likely. I would have to picture Minji as my sister which is gross. Not to say she's a gross person it's just I can never see her as my sister.

 

But I guess I need to adapt to the idea. You'd think after all this time I would be adjusted by now, but every day my feelings would grow deeper and deeper for her. I closed my eyes and sighed once again. My beating heart rate was slowly coming to a steady beat and I could breathe normally again.

 

Tomorrow was the big day, everything will change as soon as they say "I do." I clenched onto my chest feeling a sharp pain take over, "please let me get through tomorrow without any problems." I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep, praying that everything would go through smoothly.

 

MINJI'S POV

 

My alarm shocked me as it rang right next to my ear. Groaning, I slammed on the snooze button. Even though it was Saturday I had to be awake early to get ready for the wedding. "Minji are you up?!" I heard Qui's voice echo throughout the house. "Yes." I replied loud enough for her to hear. 

 

Suddenly I heard my door open. Turning towards it I saw Qui step in with a wide smile. "Hurry and change so we can go get ready together." she said. I nodded with a smile and sat up, my messy hair falling to my sides. "Yes Qui." She nodded, her grin not leaving her face. "I'll be waiting." she then closed the door.

 

I swung my feet over my bed and yawned as I stood up. "Let the day begin." I sighed as I started to get ready.

 

Qui was waiting for me as she said. "Ready?" she asked with a smile. "Yeah, where's my dad?" I asked noticing he wasn't around. "He went out with Yixing already." she replied. I nodded, "oh I see. Okay let's go." I quickly smiled. 

 

As we headed towards the salon where we would get our hair and make up professionally done, Qui began to ask questions. "So how do you feel about today?" I shrugged, "I'm not the one getting married so I shouldn't be nervous." "Do you ever think you can consider me as a mom?" she asked catching me off guard.

 

I looked at her trying to control my facial expression. "Why do you ask that?" Qui smiled and shrugged her shoulder, "I want you to see me as someone who you can go to. Even though you have a father I want you to see me as someone you can trust." There was an awkward silence as Qui and I both didn't speak for a while.

 

I started to think about what she had said. Qui is a nice lady, but I can't lie to her. "We'll see with more time. I won't say no but I won't say yes. So maybe." I finally replied. She took my hand in hers and held it tight. "I understand and I'm willing to wait for an eternity."

 

Qui was probably the sweetest person in the world. And who knows maybe one day I can be comfortable enough to call her mom.

 

Hours had passed and we were both ready to get dressed. Qui had a settled look, her red lipstick was just enough to complete the look. Her hair was in an up do with loose curls. As for me I had a natural make up base with a tough of mascara and lip gloss. I had a half up do with beach waves. 

 

"You look beautiful." Qui said as she pushed some of my hair behind my shoulder. "You do too." I smiled, "now let's go everyone is probably waiting." Qui quickly nodded and we both headed straight to the church where the wedding ceremony would be held at.

 

Once we arrived we both headed towards the back entrance where our dresses were already at thanks to the wedding planner. 

 

"Oh you look so beautiful." One of Qui's brides maid said as we entered. Her brides maids were in their mid thirties and wore a baby pink long dress what had a sequence top. "Thank you." I smiled at her and grabbed my dress. "Who's going to help me in this thing?" Qui joked as she took her wedding dress and headed to the dressing room which was more of a closet. One of her brides maid's followed her as I went to the restroom to change. My dress wasn't as big which meant it would be easy for me to get into unlike Qui's.

 

Once I was dressed in the white mini dress that had a rhinestone belt that exposed my back, I headed out to the main hall. The place was slowly starting to fill up. I greeted relatives both from my dad and Qui's side of the family.

 

It was a bit awkward especially greeting those who swore I couldn't be the cute 10 year old Minji they last seen. I sighed as the last group entered. "Long day?" someone behind me asked. I quickly turned around surprised by the fact that Lay was standing behind me. "Oh hey Lay." I could feel my cheeks begin to get hot.

 

Lay was in an black tuxedo with a white bow tie. It complemented his figure nicely not to mention his hair was styled. I was used to seeing him with his regular straight sleek hair. But today it had a curly texture and looked as if he got a trim. Not to complain he did look better with shorter hair. A lot more handsome.

 

"You look beautiful." he said with a smile. I tried hard to remain calm, but my insides were going completely crazy. I chuckled and nodded, "you should see your mom. She's the real beautiful one today." Lay chuckled, "I'm sure she is." 

 

There was a silent pause between us. "So, have you seen the guys from school?" Lay broke the awkwardness. I shook my head, "not yet and I kind of don't want to." I replied. "Why?" he asked. "I really don't want to deal with them especially knowing how they're going to react after finding out the truth between us." I sighed. "I'll deal with that for you." Lay patted my shoulder. "You better since you invited them." Lay smiled then offered me his arm. "Shall we? The ceremony is about to begin."

 

I starred at his arm and took a deep breath. As much as I wished I could just be with Lay normally I know it'll never happen. Our parents would never allow it not to mention it would be so weird to date your step brother. I swallowed my feelings and clung my hand on his arm. "Yes, let's go."

 

We walked to the doors and looked out into the large crowd awaiting for the soon to be husband and wife. I looked at Lay once more before we started to walk to the front were our seats were reserved. I could feel everyone's eyes on us which caused me to get more nervous. But as soon as I began to feel anxious I felt Lay's hand pat mind. "It's okay." he whispered. I looked at him and smiled, it was weird how no matter what situation he could always make me feel better.

 

We finally reached our seats and sat down. As soon as we did we could hear the piano play the tone of here comes the bride. Everyone faced back as Qui stood at the front door. I turned to the front were my dad was proudly standing, his grin only becoming wider at the sight of his beautiful bride.

 

I suddenly felt a warm fuzzy feeling build up inside me. My eyes never left my dad. I was never this happy and emotional in my life. I felt so proud for my dad yet completely torn between Lay and I. I suddenly felt someone's hand rub my back. I looked to my left and saw Lay with the same exact expression as mine.

 

"We'll get through this." he then pulled me in a hug. I let out a long sigh and returned the gesture. "I really hope so." I said feeling a warm tear run downy my cheek. 

 

 

The ceremony was beautiful and perfect. After getting a hold of myself I was able to witness the most memorable event in my life. Everything went smoothly, Qui and my dad exchanged rings and kisses. My eyes never left my dad's expressions, you could have swore after an hour of smiling your cheeks would be sore. But not his, his smile never left his face.

 

As soon as it was over Qui announced to head to Seoul's Hotel where the rest of the party would be held at. 

 

"Congrats dad." I said as soon as he was alone from everyone. "Minji." he quickly pulled into a tight hug, "thank you so much for giving Qui and chance." he said. I shook my head, "she's perfect for you, take good care of her." My dad grinned and only held me tighter, "my princess is all grown up." I couldn't help but laugh at how emotional he was. It seriously was a side of my dad I never witness.

 

"Minji." I heard someone call my name. I turned and saw my mom standing behind me. She was in a business grey suit. "Yes?" I pulled away from my dads grasp and turned to her. She smiled and bowed her head at my dad as he walked away. "You look amazing." she said. "Thanks, I didn't think you'd actually come." I furrowed my brows at her choice of clothing.

 

"I almost didn't." she let out and awkward chuckle and handed me an envelope. "I'm leaving to the airport right now, heres a ticket and my information just in case you change your mind." I took the envelop, "you're not staying." I asked a little disappointed. "I can't my flight leaves soon and I have a conference meeting as soon as I land." "Oh." "But if you're ever interested my home is open for you." she said. I nodded and gave her a quick hug, "take care and keep in touch please." She smiled and patted my shoulder,"you too baby girl." I smiled and waved as she headed out.

 

"You know it's not a bad idea." Lay came to my side. "I turned to him, "there's no point if she's going to be busy." I shrugged and handed him the envelope, "take care of it for me please." he took it and slipped it into his pocket. "Come on kids lets go!" Qui cheered as she quickly headed out.

 

My dad went after her, but as soon as I started to walk I was stopped by Lay. "Wait," he said and ran to get my dad. "Mr. Lee, mom come back." I looked at him a bit confused, what is he doing. I suddenly got a sick feeling. "Oh no-"

 

"What is it?" my dad asked. "Lay don't." I felt like choking him suddenly. "What is it baby?" Qui asked as she met with us again. "I need to confess something." Lay replied. I went to his side and pulled his arm, "Lay what are you doing?" He ignored me and looked straight at our parents. "Mr. Lee I've been meaning to tell you something, something very important."

 

I felt a dry lump forming at my throat, please Lay please not now. "Mom, Mr. Lee I don't know how to exactly put this." he continued. I wanted to crawl into a hole and die at this point. "For a while now I started to get feeling's for you daughter Mr. Lee and I think it's only fair to let you know personally from me that I am in love with Minji." he confessed.

 

Words couldn't describe what I felt all I know is that soon either Lay or I would be attending a funeral. "Oh!" Qui seemed shocked but not as much as my dad who looked like he was about to murder someone. "Well that is big news." she continued. Surprisingly she was calm about the whole situation.

 

"Mr. Lee?" Lay looked at him. It was like he was poking a mad bear, he didn't know when to stop. "Lay." I grabbed his arm. "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear this." my dad finally spoke up. All eyes were on him including Qui. "Honey?" "That was a funny joke Yixing, now let's go to the party." he turned around and walked away, Qui following behind him.

 

"You really want to die don't you?" I slapped Lay's arm. "He should know the truth." he rubbed his arm and started walking. I sighed and shook my head, "of all days you picked today." Lay remained quiet for the rest of the day.

 

 

 

It seemed as if my dad did forget about what happened at the church. He would be spotted greeting everyone and happily dancing with Qui. I guess not even this could ruin his big day which I was happy for. I really hope this wouldn't effect his relationship with Qui.

 

"Well well well," Chen said as he sat at my table along with the rest of the guys. "it's liar number one and two." "Hey guys." I said as they sat down. "Why didn't you say you two were step siblings?" Kai asked. "You never asked." Lay replied. "Ha Ha Ha, nice one Lay." Tao rolled his eyes. "Thanks for coming." I said.

 

"Your mom is so pretty." Hani said as she watched her dance with my dad. "You dad is pretty too, boss." Chanyeol joked making everyone laugh. "I'll let him know." I said. Chanyeol's grin quickly faded, "I-I was kidding." I chuckled and stood up, "I'll be right back." 

 

I headed to the restroom to touch up but was stopped by my dad. "Let's talk Minji." he ordered. I felt a chill run down my spine, uh oh. My dad lead me to a quiet area of the hotel, we walked into an empty room that had extra chairs and tables. He leaned against a table and crossed his arms.

 

I kept a safe distance, I knew it was too good to be true. Eventually I know my dad was going to punish me somehow. "How long?" he asked. "Huh?" I was confused. "How long was this going on for?" he asked again. I cleared my throat before replying, "a while." He sighed and rubbed his forehead. "Qui talk me but I didn't want to believe it." "Qui knew?" I tilted my head.

 

"She knows her son very well." he said, "I just don't know my daughter very well." he sighed again. "It's not that." I said feeling bad for keeping this a secret for so long. "I was just scared. I didn't want to like Yixing it just happened and I hate that I kept this from you. I thought if I ignored it soon I wouldn't like him anymore." 

 

"And do you still like him? Be honest." he asked looking me straight in the eyes. I bit my bottom lip and slowly nodded, "yes. I like him a lot." "Does he make you happy?" I nodded again, "yes." "Does he protect you?" "Yes he does." I replied. "Then I see no problem with being with him." he said.

 

My eyes widen, did I hear that right? "What?" My dad smiled, "if he makes you happy, if he cares about you and takes care of you I don't see any problem. And neither does Qui." "Really?!" I yelled from shock and excitement. My dad nodded, "he's a good kid I couldn't picture someone else better for you than him." "Oh my gosh! Thank you dad!" I cried and jumped in his arms giving him a tight hug.

 

He chuckled and rubbed my back, "and technically if he is a son to me I will hurt him if he hurts you." I laughed and pulled away, "thanks dad." "I love you Minji." "I love you too, dad." He kissed my cheek. "But what if people think it's wrong?" I asked him. "If there's anything I learned is that you shouldn't care about what others think. As long as you're happy their opinion shouldn't matter. I learned that from my relationship with Qui." I smiled and nodded, "you're right. Thanks again dad." I gave him on last hug before running off to go find Lay not even bothering with my touch up.

 

I spotted Lay speaking to one of his relatives. I quickly ran to him pulling his arm. "Lay Lay Lay I need to tell you something." I interrupted. "Hold on." he excused himself. "What?" "Not here somewhere private. "I pulled his arm and lead him outside.

 

The air was fresh and the moon over hovered over us. I decided to take Lay to the pool area where a lit up fountain was centered. "Guess what?" I grinned tugging on his wrist. "What?" he pulled his arm away. I jumped and hugged him, "my dad accepted." I nearly shouted. "What?!" I pulled away and nodded happily, "my dad said it was okay. Everything worked out thanks to you." 

 

"No way?!" Lay smiled and held onto my shoulders to keep me still. "He realized you made me happy was accepted it. He's allowing us to be together." "T-That's ... amazing." Lay wrapped his arms around me and lifted me off the ground and spun me around a couple of times. I held on tightly to him, "you were right. Everything will be okay." 

 

Lay put me down and cupped my cheeks, "I knew it would." He leaned down and pressed his lips against mine kissing me. This time I didn't have to worry about anyone finding out or seeing us. This time I was able to fall completely into the kiss without regretting it afterwards. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him back parting my lips to feel on his soft lips. Sparks flew between us both and I nibbled on his lower lip slightly as he used his tongue to my upper lip.

 

 

It was such a crazy ride, from strangers to hating each other to falling in love. I was finally able to relax and call Lay mine.

 

I was the first to pull away from the heated kiss. Lay rested his forehead against mine, "now what?" I shrugged and pecked his lips, "your guess is as good as mine." He took my hand and held it crossing our fingers together.

 

"I love you, Lee Minji."

 

"I love you too, Zhang Yixing."

 

 

 

 

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» Holy!! It was a long journey but it has finally ended. I know I at endings but I really do hope you like and are satisfied with it >< I really want to thank those who stuck through this whole story and were patient with me. I don't want to give a lot of excuses I can only say I'm extremely sorry and thankful at the same time. I know I'm probably the worst author ever orz Please leave your feedback and excuse any errors lol. I love you all!!! And thanks again for reading my first Lay fic <3

Happy reading~ ily