Chapter 17

Oh! Brother

 

"He's using you." Lay's words replayed in my head all night. Why would Tao be using me? Why would Lay say that? So many questions were running through my head.

 

I yawned as I sat up, I stretched and noticed that Lay wasn't in bed. I looked around, the sun was out shining through my window.

 

My phone lit up and vibrated against my wooden drawer. I reached over and picked it up.

 

-New Message-

 

The screen read. I unlocked it and saw a text from Tao, I immediately smiled. 

 

Tao [9:20] Hey

Minji [9:22] Hey what's up?

Tao [9:25] You still on for our date?

 

My heat began racing, good think we were chatting via text. If not I'd look as red as a tomato in front of him.

 

Minji [9:28] Sure, just tell me when and where.

Tao [9:30] Tonight if that's okay with you and how about Seoul Grand Zoo?

Minji [9:33] Omo I haven't been there in forever! Of course I'd like to go there.

Tao[9:35] Great! I'll pick be by to pick you up at 4.

Minji [9:36] Okay see you then.

Tao [9:38] And wear something nice :)

 

I blushed and placed my phone down. "Ahh!" I squealed into my pillow. 

 

I skipped downstairs, "well someone looks happy." Qui said as I met her in the kitchen, she was cooking some rice dish. I smiled brightly, "just a little." I went to the living room where I found Lay, obviously.

 

I sat far from him and glared. "What?" he asked not taking his eyes off the t.v. "How can you ditch Hani like that?" I asked still upset. 

 

He sighed, "something came up." he replied. "You could have at least told us." I snapped, "look I know you may not like Hani, but at least respect her." I scolded him. Lay turned to me, "you should be the one talking about resect." he said.

 

"Damn it Lay you're such a heartless jerk." I got up and quickly removed myself before I went over and slap him across the face. I heard Lay call my name, but I ignored him and left the house. 

 

 

I met up with Hani at the mall, "guess what?" I grabbed her arm excited to tell her the news between Tao and I. She smiled, "you found $20." she replied. "No," I slapped her arm playfully, "Tao and I are going out tonight." 

 

"Really?! Omo that's great." Hani gave me a hug. "You have no idea how happy I am," I pulled away, "after all these years Tao asked me out...again." I grinned. "Well at least you're happy." Hani said, I could tell there was a slight disappointment in her tone.

 

"Look Lay is a huge jerk and you deserve someone better." I said. Hani shook her head, "I know, but I feel like it was my fault." I gave her a weird look, "how is it your fault?" I asked. "Well I was too clingy and I may have annoyed him." she replied.

 

I shook my head, "it's not your fault, Lay's just a soulless punk forget about him." I said taking her arm and leading her into a near by clothing store, "come and help me pick something nice."

 

~~~~

 

"Text me as soon as you get home and tell me everything." Hani said as the bus came to my stop. I smiled, "of course, bye Hani thanks again." I said heading to the exist. Hani waved, "fighting!" I waved back as I got out.

 

I arrived at my house around 3 which meant I had to rush, great. I ran to the restroom and quickly took a shower. I got out and blow dried my hair and I tried to change into my newly bought dress at the same time. Which was a mistake since I tripped. "Ow." I rubbed my knee and got up.

 

"Okay makeup." I said running out and grabbing my makeup bag. "What are you doing?" Lay asked as I saw him come in through the reflection of the  mirror. "It's called doing my makeup." I replied and lined my eyes with eyeliner. Lay gave me a weird look, "why do you girls take so much time into doing that? It's such a waste." he said sitting down and taking a magazine.

 

"We do it to help up enhance our beauty features." I said taking my blush brush out. "But it's so pointless, us guys want someone with natural beauty." Lay said. I rolled my eyes, "no one cares about what you think." I got up and clipped a cute pink bow into my hair.

 

"Whatever." Lay tossed the magazine aside and got up. I turned to him, "why are you always home? Why don't you go hang out with friends? It's so depressing seeing you home alone all the time." I told him. "I'm still new here and don't have close friends yet." he looked down. I kind of felt bad for him, I almost wanted to stay home and keep him company...almost.

 

"And besides," Lay looked up at me, "I hate people." I rolled my eyes, "whatever I'm wasting my time talking to you." I grabbed my purse. "Going out with Tao?" he asked. "Why do you care?" I asked pulling a bracelet up my wrist.

 

"It's just-" "Look if you're going to say anything bad about Tao just save your breath I don't want to hear it." I cut him off and left my room. I felt bad for talking to Lay like that, but he did treat my best friend like crap. So why not do the same?

 

I waited about 20 minutes when I hear my door bell rang. I shot up and fixed my dress. "Who is it?" I heard my dad yell. "Just Hani, I'll be back later!" I lied and quickly opened the door. Tao was on the other side smiling, "wow Minji you look-" "Come on before my dad sees you." I grabbed his arm and quickly left. 

 

The two of us arrived at the subway station, "so I thought our date wouldn't be until next week." I said as I sat down. The subway was not crowded, which was a miracle. "Sorry was it too soon?" Tao asked taking a seat next to me. I looked at him and shook my head, "no, I just wanted to know."

 

"Well it's student day," Tao replied, "students from all over the place will be there." Except for Lay. I felt a slight pinch in my chest. "I've never been to one and I thought we should go together." he added. I smiled and nodded, "sounds cool." 

 

I looked to the front. Tao reached over and grabbed my hand, I watched in shock as he intertwined my fingers with his. He looked at me and smiled, "you don't mind right?" My cheeks grew hot and I shook my head, "n-no, not at all."

 

 

Tao wasn't lying when he said students from all different schools will be there. The majority of people who were there were students our age. Some even elementary students. "Wow this looks like it's going to be so much fun." I beamed as we passed the entrance. "Yeah," Tao looked around, "come on lets go buy a couple shirt." he said pulling me towards the gift shop.

 

"How about this one?" Tao asked raising a pink, large, shirt over me. "But I just bought this dress," I complained, "you won't be able to see it with this huge thing." I said pointing at the shirt. "Come one Minji this will be fun," Tao grabbed a matching blue one, "people will automatically know we're together."

 

My eyes almost fell out of my socket, "t-together?" Tao nodded, "but if you don't want to." he said putting the shirt back on the rack. "No!" I quickly grabbed it, "I like it." I smiled. Tao messed with my hair, "great, come on." 

 

We walked out together in matching couples shirts. I've never done this before and I'm glad Tao brought it up. "Look monkeys." I pointed and ran towards them. "Aw look Tao it's a baby." I pointed and turned to Tao, who was looking around. "Tao?" I asked. "Huh?" he turned to me, "oh yeah they're cute." he said coming to me.

 

"Are you okay?" I asked. He smiled and nodded, "yeah I'm fine. Lets go over there." he said pointing a building that read "dragons." "You think they have real dragons?" I asked as Tao grabbed my hand and lead me towards the building. "I don't know lets go see." Tao said turning to me.

 

"Ah rip off!" I cried as it was a place filled with amphibians and lizards. "That's not a dragon." I pouted. Tao leaned down and read the signed where lizards were on display, "what did you except?" "I don't know, that dragon from Mulan." I replied. Tao laughed, "you're so silly."

 

I smiled, "I want to look for something." I said. "What?" Tao asked. I smiled and grabbed his hand, "come on you'll see."

 

 

"Aw that's mean." Tao said as we reached the panda area. "Come on you reunited with your family." I poked his cheek. He puffed them, "thanks, hi mom." he waved. I laughed, "here let me take a picture." I said taking out my phone. Tao posed with the pandas behind him.

 

"Okay 1, 2-" "Minji lets go over here." Tao quickly grabbed my arm before I could take a picture. "Ah what?!" I was surprised by his sudden action. Tao looked around, "where did..." "Tao are you okay?" I asked. "Huh?" he turned to me. "You keep dragging me everywhere." I replied.

 

"Oh sorry," Tao let my hand go, "I just wanted to get you...this." he said pointing at a panda gift shop. I turned and saw a huge stuffed panda on display, almost the size of my body. My eyes widen, "you're kidding right?" Tao smiled, "come on it's cute." he walked towards the store. I slowly followed behind him, "there's no way I'm carrying that home." I said to myself.

 

"Aw you look cute." Tao said pinching my cheek. I glared at him and lifted the over sized panda, "this thing is huge." I complained as I tried lifting it up. Tao laughed and pulled out his phone, "come on let me take a picture." "Tao!" I complained and stomped my foot.

 

"Over here!" He grabbed my arm and pulled me over to a tree. "Ow Tao that really hurt." I was surprised at how hard he pulled me, I wouldn't be surprised if he left a bruise. "Oh sorry, wait can you move more to the right." he instructed. I sighed and stepped over, "here?"

 

"No a little more." he said. "Here?!" I asked getting tired of the enormous panda. "Yeah right there!" Tao lifted his hand. "Okay now smile...1,2-" "Tao?" Someone asked. I turned and saw a girl, a very familiar looking girl.

 

"Sojin?" Tao asked surprised, "what are you doing here?" he asked walking to her. I turned and watched as the two hugged, leaving me hanging with this thing. I placed the panda on the floor. "My whole school came today." the girl replied. I thought for a while, why does she look so familiar? It finally hit me, she's Tao ex-girlfriend!

 

"Who's this?" she asked looking at me. "Oh this is Minji." Tao said holding out his arm, "she's my girlfriend." he added. My eyes widen, "what?" "Girlfriend?" Sojin eyed me. "Ugh..." I trailed on. "Yeah we've been dating for almost a month, todays our anniversary." Tao lied. My mouth fell open, "what?"

 

Sojin looked at me and nodded, "I see, well nice to meet you." she bowed. I stayed frozen completely shocked at what just Tao said. "So Sojin, do you have a new boyfriend?" Tao asked. She turned to him and flipped her hair, "no. I don't need a man." she replied.

 

Tao laughed, "oh really?" Sojin smirked, "yes really." It finally came to my attention that Tao set me up. "Look what I got for Minji." he pointed at the panda. Sojin looked at it then at me, "you never bought me things." she said. Tao shrugged his shoulders, "well maybe if you stayed with me you would have."

 

I was in complete shock, Tao was acting so...different. Like a douchebag ex boyfriend who's trying to make his ex girlfriend jealous. And I was his girl he used to do so. I couldn't believe that he just used me. Lay was right. That would explain why he was constantly looking around and pulling me everywhere. He was looking for her.

 

"Students from all over the place will be here." Tao's words repeated in my head. I closed my eyes, I can't believe I fell for it. 

 

"Well I have to get back with my friends." Sojin said, "good luck with your new girl." she smirked at Tao before walking away. He smiled and rubbed the back of his neck. I glared at him, "well lets go it's getting late." he said. It was barely 7.

 

I tried holding in my tears, tears of anger, tears of frustration, tears of being completely heart broken. I held everything in and followed behind him, dragging the stupid panda with me.

 

~~~~

 

The whole ride back was silent, I did not want to speak or even look at Tao right now. I've never felt so broken before. For someone who I thought had actual feelings for me was using me to make his ex-girlfriend jealous. 

 

 

 

"Thanks I had fun." Tao said. I nodded and turned away, "wait!" he called after me. I turned around expecting an apology, an I'm sorry for doing this to you, or a simple my bad. But instead he pointed at the panda, "this is yours."

 

I sighed and pulled it by the ear, "thanks." I said walking away. I reached my front door and turned around hoping to see Tao still there, waving, or just standing waiting for me to go safely inside. But instead he was already walking down the street.

 

I took a deep breath and stepped inside. I pulled the panda through the door. "Stupid ugly panda!" I yelled and kicked it, using it as a punching bag. "Take that you stupid panda!" I shouted and punched it, imagining Tao's face on it. "I hate you, you stupid thing!" I cried.

 

"Minji are you okay?" Qui came to see what the noise was about. I took of the couple shirt and threw it on the ground, "here you can burn this." I pointed at the shirt and ran upstairs. 

 

I was bawling my eyes out, how can Tao do this to me? I cried and closed my bedroom door behind me. Lay was on his bed listening to music. "Go ahead!" I cried. "Minji what happened?" he asked getting up and taking his headphones off.

 

"Go ahead tell me!" I shouted. "Minji-" "Tell me I told you so." I brought my hands to my face and began crying harder. "Say it!" I shouted. Lay pulled me into a hug, "Minji don't cry."

 

"How can he do this to me?" I cried digging my face into his chest. Lay patted my head, "it's okay." "Go ahead!" I pulled away from him, mascara running down my cheeks, "say it!"

 

Lay pulled me into another hug, "I told you so...idiot." he said my hair. I just cried harder.

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» aw Tao you're such a jerk!! Lay was right everyone, always trust the unicorn lOl. Please comment and subscribe^^