Chapter 14

Oh! Brother

 

MINJI POV

 

I felt something warm hit my face. It tickled my nose which resulted in me scratching it. But it wouldn't stop. I opened my eyes, must be the heater or something.

 

My sight was blurry at first, but when they cleared I noticed it wasn't the heater. But Lay!

 

"Yah!" I yelled and kicked him away from me. Lay landed on the floor rather hard. "What the heck." he rubbed his eyes and looked up. I looked around, I was on his bed and not my own.

 

"Omo." I raised my hand to my face, "I'm so sorry." I felt bad that I woke him up in such a way. I know if that happened to me I would have killed someone. Lay only sighed and got up, "man I can't wait till I get my own room." he said walking over to the restroom.

 

 

"Minji!" I heard Hani yell for me. I closed my eyes, "crap I forgot." I said softly. "Hey Minji-" "I haven't asked Lay yet so if you're asking about him-" "It's okay." she cut me off. I stopped, "it is?"

 

Hani smiled and nodded, "I decided I was going to take your advice." she said. I tilted my head, "what advice?" Hani grinned, "I'm going to ask Lay out." she replied. My eyes widen, "what?!" 

 

Just then the first bell rang. "Oh I have to go." Hani said walking away. "Wait Hani!" I called after her, but a crowd of students filled the hallways. "What do you mean you're going to ask him out?!" I yelled getting weird stares from people walking by. Hani turned the corner ignoring me. I sighed.

 

I walked into my first class and noticed Lay sitting down taking out his pencil. I took a deep breath as I approached him. "Hey." I said softly. "Mmm." he simply replied. Not even a hey back. Rude.

 

"About this morning..." I trailed on. "Forget about it." Lay said before I could explain myself. "But aren't you mad?" I asked confused. Lay shook his head, "good morning students." Mrs. Gong came in. I stared at Lay for a while, is he really not upset?

 

The remaining of the class consisted in watching a movie on the eco system and blah blah blah. I missed the days where we would watch Bill Nye The Science Guy.

 

I rested my head on my hand which was supported by my elbow. I looked over and saw Tao passed out. I smiled, he looks so cute when he's asleep. I found myself daydreaming. How it would be when Tao and I get married. How our child will look and even the name of our dog.

 

"Okay heads up." Mrs. Gong said turning on the lights blinding me. I coved my eyes as they tried to adjust to the sudden bright light. "Please pass up the worksheet." she instructed. "Worksheet?" I looked over at Lay.

 

He passed a sheet of paper to the front. I looked down and saw a worksheet titled, "Movie Questions," which only had my name on it. "Oh no." I cried, "Lay." He looked at me, "you should have been paying attention." he said.

 

"Can you help me?" I whisper. "Hum I would, but thanks to someone my 's still sore and I'm not in the helping mood." he replied turning away. My mouth fell open, "you little-" "Finished?" Mrs. Gong came to my table. I looked up and smiled, "ugh...not really."

 

Mrs. Gong snatched the paper from me, "zero." I sank into my seat, "great."

 

The bell rang and everyone started to leave. "Don't forget your homework for tonight." Mrs. Gong reminded us. "Yes." we all sighed. I grabbed my bag when I noticed Tao was still asleep.

 

"Tsk tsk tsk." Mrs. Gong walked by him and slammed her hand on his desk making him jump. "This is school not your home." she scolded him. I kind of felt bad for him. It wasn't like he fell asleep because the movie was boring, but more like he was exhausted.

 

How can I tell? Well for once his eyes were a lot darker than usual and because he didn't argue back. He simply got up and started walking away. Right then and there I knew something was wrong.

 

"Tao." I called after him as he left the classroom. He turned around and smiled, "hey." he waved. "You okay?" I asked. "Yeah I'm fine." he replied with a yawn. "Don't take this bad, but you look horrible." I said walking to his side.

 

He smiled and started walking, "sorry I didn't quiet get all my beauty sleep last night." he joked. I smiled, "why not?" Tao sighed, "it's really nothing."

 

"It's okay if you don't want to tell me." I said feeling disappointed. "No it's not that." Tao raised his hand, "it's just...it's my grandma." he confessed. I looked at him, "is she okay? Is she sick?" I asked getting worried.

 

"No no, my grandma's perfectly fine." Tao said, "it's just her shop that's doing bad." "Shop?" I titled my head. "Yeah she owns a coffee shop." Tao replied. "Oh that's so cute." I squealed imagining a little old lady making coffee to happy customers.

 

"Yeah, but it's not doing so good." he said. "What's wrong?" I asked. Tao rubbed the back of his neck, "service is bad and my grandma can't offered to pay any of the employees or bills so now it's just me and her." he replied. "Oh I'm sorry." I said felling bad.

 

"Yeah and I don't want to see my grandma's shop close. She had it ever since I was young and I spent most of my youth there." he said. "So you're helping your grandma work?" I asked catching on. "Yeah," he nodded, "but it's still not enough."

 

"Well maybe I can help." I offered. "What?" Tao lit up and looked at me, "really?" I nodded, "yeah I'll volunteer my time as long as your grandma wants." "Oh thank you Minji." Tao cheered and pulled me into a hug. I was taken back, his fresh cologne filled my senses.

 

The bell rang, "I'll meet you after school." he said running off. I nodded, "okay." I smiled feeling good. "Oh snap I'm late!" I quickly ran the opposite direction to my class.

 

 

"So you're going to be working with Tao?" Hani asked. I nodded, "yes ma'am." "Ahh!" she squealed, "that's great it gives you two a chance to get closer." she added. I nodded, "yeah I know."

 

"Imagine going on a double date." Hani said taking a sip of her water. "Double date?" I gave her a weird look. "Yeah," she nodded, "you and Tao and me and Lay." she said. "Oh...Lay." I said. "So when are you going to ask him?" I questioned her.

 

"After school, I'm finally going to confess." she replied with a smile. "You think he'll say yes?" she asked with hopeful eyes. I didn't want to make her feel bad. Even though I don't know Lay for that long I know he'll say no. I slowly nodded, "yeah." I replied. 

 

~~~~

 

I waited outside the courtyard where Tao said he would meet me. I looked around and saw Lay leaving with Hani. I bit my lip, "omo Lay please be gentle on her." "Who are you taking to?" someone asked. I turned around and saw Tao. "Omo Tao," I looked back at Lay then back at him, "no one." 

 

"Ready?" he asked. I nodded, "yeah lets go." 

 

"Now you know you don't have to do this." he said as we walked along the street. "But I want to." I said, "I think it's sweet how you're trying to save your grandma's shop and I would like to help." And make you fall in love with me.

 

Tao smiled, "but you've never worked a day in your life." "So! There's a first time for everything." I said. Tao laughed, "thanks again." He looked at me, I smiled. "No problem."

 

We stepped into a small and cozy store. Filled with wood tables and vintage, black and white, pictures covering the walls. "Oh what's this." I said pointing at one with a man and women in front of what looked like a shop. "Oh that's my grandma and grandpa when they first opened this shop." Tao replied.

 

My eyes widen, "wow those are your grandparents? They look-" "Young." someone finished for me. I turned and saw a 5'4" old lady smiling. "Hello." I bowed. "Oh my you're so pretty." she came and pinched my cheeks, "Tao why don't you bring more girls around." she said.

 

"Grandma." Tao blushed and looked away. "What's you name honey?" she asked. "Lee Minji." I replied. "Such a pretty name for a pretty girl." she smiled, "call me Mei." I nodded, "okay...Mei." we both laughed.

 

"Tao where is your other friend?" she asked turning to him. "Friend?"

 

"Sorry I'm late." We all turned to the entrance and saw Lay panting.

 

My eyes widen, "Lay?!"

 

"Minji?!"

 

"What are you doing here?!" we both yelled, "I work here. Oh no you don't!"

 

"I'm guessing you two know each other." Mei said. "Tao how can you bring her?" Lay said going to his side. "Me? You! Tao how can you bring him!?" I also walked to him. 

 

"Hey you two!" Mei yelled making us turn to her, "we have customers." she said scolding us and walking over to the back. "Sorry." Lay and I bowed. I looked at Lay and glared, "I hate you." I hissed, "some here." he glared and walked away.

 

 

"Enjoy!" Lay and I ran to the same table. "I was here first." I told him. "No you weren't I was." he disagreed. "Not uh!" I yelled. "Guys." the customer cut us off, "it's okay I'll try both." 

 

Lay and I stepped back as she tested each. "Mmm this one's good." she said tasting mine. I smiled, "of course it is." Lay scoffed, "she still hasn't tried mine." We both turned to her as she tasted his. We waited, "mmm this one is amazing!" she said giving Lay a thumbs up.

 

"Ha!" he rubbed it in my face. I grabbed mine, "shut up." I said before walking away. 

 

Tao was at the cash register, "thank you come again." he said giving the customers change. "People have no taste in coffee." I said setting mine on the counter. Tao smiled, "another person rejected yours?" he asked.

 

I nodded, "maybe I should just clean up." I said walking to the back. Tao grabbed my coffee and tried it, "mmm." he said getting my attention. I turned around, "what?" "This is delicious." he said giving me a thumbs up. I smiled feeling butterflies go crazy, "really?"

 

He nodded, "the best." "But not as good as mine." Lay came in. I rolled my eyes and walked to the back, thanks for ruining the moment.

 

Hours passed and I was on kitchen duty while Lay and Mei made coffee and sweet snacks. And Tao ran the cash register. "This is not the reality I wanted." I said to myself setting the cups to dry. "How's does it feel to be in the back all alone?" Lay came in setting dirty trays in the sink.

 

I blew the hair out of my face, "I just got done washing." I hissed. "Well looks like you have a couple more." he said grabbing a clean tray. I sent daggers on the back of his head, "I hope you fall." I said turning on the water.

 

Just then I heard a crash. I quickly turned around and saw Lay on the ground with broken cups all over him. I laughed, "omo what happened?" Lay groaned and sat up, "ow!" he cried, "don't you know how to dry off the floor?!" he yelled.

 

I stepped back ,"looks like you got what you deserve. How does it feel now?" I smirked and went back to cleaning the dishes. "What happened?!" Mei came in along with Tao. "Looks like Mr. Perfect isn't so perfect after all." I joked.

 

"Oh you poor baby." Mei went to him. "Wait what are you doing?" I asked her as she bent down to help him up. Tao grabbed his arm and lifted him, "you okay man?" he asked. "Tao why are you concerned about him?" I asked completely shocked.

 

"He just fell." he replied. "Oh no you're bleeding." Mei said, "come on let me treat it." she said pulling him away. "Wait-" "Minji clean this up please." Tao said running back to the front. My mouth fell open, "what just happened?"

 

~~~~

 

"Thank you so much." Mei said, "you two are so kind." she said. "No problem." Lay and I chimed together. We turned to each other and glared. "Minji is it okay if you go on your own?" Tao asked. "Huh?" I looked back at him.

 

"I have to stay and help my grandma close up." he said. "Oh it's okay." I waved my hands around. "I'll see you tomorrow Mei." Lay said with a smile. "See you tomorrow sweetie and take care of yourself." she said. "I'll be back too." I cut in. Mei smiled, "it's okay honey Lay and Tao is all the help I need."

 

My mouth fell open, "what?" "Grandma." Tao pulled onto her sleeve. "Ha!" Lay laughed. I glared at him, "shut up!" I yelled and stormed out. I couldn't believe Mei just fired me. But I did an amazing job. I looked at my hands, "great these wrinkles are never going away." I cried.

 

"So how does it feel to get fired?" Lay asked catching up to me. I glared at him, "shut up!" He laughed, "come on Minji, five people turned down your coffee." He had a point. "But Tao liked it." I cried. "Maybe he was just trying to be nice." he said.

 

I sighed, "I guess." 

 

It was quiet for most of the walk home. "So..." I trailed on. "What?" Lay asked. "Did Hani talk to you?" I asked getting curious if she actually confessed to him. Lay sighed, "yeah." "And?" I asked when he didn't say anything else.

 

"What?" he asked. "Did she confess or not?!" I asked getting frustrated. I quickly covered my mouth when I realized what I said. Lay stared at me for a while, "why do you care?"

 

I brought my hands down, "because she's my friend and I want to know." "Why?" Lay asked leaning closer. I back away, "fine don't tell me I'll just text her." I said walking past him.

 

"She asked me out." Lay said making me stop. "She did?" I asked turning around. He nodded, "yeah." he replied. There was another silence and the both of us remained still. 

 

"D-did you say yes?" I asked getting a weird feeling in my stomach. Lay looked up at me, "do you want me to say yes?" he asked. I was taken back, "w-what?"

 

Lay shook his head, "I told her I'll think about it." "Oh." I said. We both started walking again. 

 

We almost reached the house when Lay grabbed my arm. "Minji." I looked at him, "yeah?" He let go and placed his hands in his pockets, "tell me." he said.

 

I was confused, "tell you what?" "Tell me if I should say yes or no." he replied. My heart stopped, "what?" "I said tell me if I-" "I heard you." I cut him off, "but I can't give you an answer." 

 

"So is that a no?" he asked. "No! I mean yes! Wait." I was confused. "It's not up to me to choose it's up to you." I told him. "But I'm asking you to choose." Lay said. "I'm sorry, but I can't tell you." I said walking away.

 

"Then the answer is no." Lay said. I stopped, Hani likes Lay a lot and will do anything for him. I turned around, what kind of friend would I be if I stood between her and the person she likes? "Don't say no." I told Lay. I'm sure Hani would do the same for me.

 

"Tell her yes...you'd love to go out with her." 

 

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» no Minji what are you saying?!? Omg thank you to everyone who subscribed. I love reading your comments and I'm glad you like the story so far. I hope I don't disappoint >.< Please comment and subscribe^^