Chapter 45

Oh! Brother

I slowly opened my tired and puffy eyes. I had a slight headache and I can feel my feet stinging. Groaning as I sat up, I took a look at my feet. "Ow." I cried softly seeing a few blisters, "I shouldn't have wore new heels." I sighed and slowly got out of bed limping my way to the bathroom. Holding onto the wall for support I finally arrived and searched the for some healing cream.

 

I discovered the small, navy blue, cream behind some pain killing medicine and sat on the toilet seat. Gently and carefully, I applied some cream on my blisters. I hissed at the stinging pain, "stupid heels I should burn them when I'm done." "Looks like someone had fun."

 

I jumped in shocked and found Qui by the door. "Qui you scared me!" I cried holding onto my racing heart. She smiled, "sorry. Need any help dear?" she asked stepping inside. I shook my head, "no it's just a few blisters hopefully they'll be gone soon." I replied putting the cap back on the cream. 

 

Qui kneeled beside me, "so how was is?" she asked with a huge grin plastered on her face. "Did you have fun?" I smiled at her and nodded, "it was a lot of fun." I got up feeling the cream kick in and give my wounds an icy feeling which felt good. "What time did you come home? Your father and I fell asleep early last night." Qui said.

 

I thought for a while then the memory of last nights incident replayed in my head. Lay's arms holding me firmly against him, his soft lips gently pressed on mine, his warm breath gently hitting against my cold cheeks. I blinked a few times making it go away, "I don't remember." I replied and made my way out the bathroom.

 

"That's weird," Qui followed behind me, "well you were too tired to remember." she smiled and walked by me, "I'll go make breakfast." I nodded as she left, "okay." I stopped and leaned against the wall, I puffed my cheeks and looked down at my feet. "Maybe it was a dream."

 

The sudden thought sadden me. It's possible that what I've always dreamt of, Lay holding me close and kissing me, was actually just a dream. There's no way that Lay, the most self-centered person on this planet, would ever kiss me. I chuckled at my own stupid thought, "there's absolutely no way that could have happened."

 

"What?" I heard someone sneak up next to me. "Omo!" I jumped and saw Lay with a blank expression on his face. "Yah!" I slapped his arm, "why is everyone sneaking up on me?!" Lay rubbed his arm, "ow. I didn't you were just not paying attention." he said with a small smile. I rolled my eyes, "whatever." 

 

Lay looked down at my cream spotted feet, "you okay?" he asked. "Just a few blisters, but I think I'll survive." I replied. "They look disgusting." he chuckled. I punched his arm, "why are you staring then?" "Ouch! Can you stop hitting me?" Lay shot a glare at me. I looked away biting my lower lip. Just ask him. I told myself. 

 

My throat suddenly grew dry and it felt like I had just swallowed a huge pill. Lay began to walk away before I grabbed his arm, "wait..." I trailed on. He turned and looked at me, I quickly let go of his arm. "What?" he asked. I swallowed hard, "l-last night..." I began avoiding eye contact, "did w-we," I looked up at him, "you know."

 

 Lay kept a blank face and stared back at me. Him not replying didn't help. "Did we kiss?" I whispered making sure no one heard except for him. He let out a soft chuckle. See! It was just a dream! I scolded myself feeling like a complete idiot. I sighed and shook my head, "never mind." I began to walk away when Lay reached to grab my hand. "I didn't even reply." he said.

 

I stopped and looked up at him, "huh?" Just then he leaned forward, my eyes widen. I could feel his warm breath on mine and his breath-taking cologne. I stared into his eyes, his lips only a few inches from mine. My heart stopped along with my breathing. He caressed my cheek with his thumb, "you don't remember? I'm kind of sad." he said.

 

I blinked a few times trying to processes what was going on. "Wha-" I was caught off by a sudden hug. I gasped softly, Lays arms wrapped around my waist as he rested his head on my shoulder. I remained completely still. "Minji," he said in the softest tone, "I...I like you." he confessed. My heart jumped, my eyes widen and I left as if the room started to spin around. "What?"

 

"Okay okay I'm going." I heard my dad making his way upstairs. "Omo!" I gasped and Lay slowly let me go. "It's in the closet right?" my dad came into view and spotted us. "What's going on?" he questioned with a serious look on his face. I like you. The words lingered in my mind still. Lay just confessed to me. My insides were going absolutely crazy.

 

"Nothing sir I was just asking how Minji's dance went." Lay lied right in front of my face which I was thankful for. My dad looked at me then at my feet, "what's that on your feet?" he asked. "Huh?" I came back to my senses thanks to the nudge Lay gave me. "Oh I got a few blisters." I replied. My dad gave us both a look, "why are you two up here alone? Go down stairs breakfast is almost ready." he ordered.

 

"Yes." Lay bowed his head respectfully and walked off, I followed behind him before my dad grabbed my arm. "Minji." he spoke. I saw Lay turned his head a bit, but continued to walk off. "Yes." I looked at him. He had a worried look on his face and stayed quiet for a while until he finally spoke up, "nothing never mind go help Qui with breakfast." he said letting me go and walked away before I could protest. 

 

I looked back at him as he walked into his room, "weird." I said before I headed down.

 

 

The atmosphere was awkward. No one really spoke and I could fell a weird vibe coming from everyone. I cleared my throat and finally spoke, "the breakfast is amazing Qui." She smiled, "oh thank you, dear." she replied and continued to eat. My eyes wondered off towards Lay who was also focused on this breakfast.

 

"So..." I trailed on, "the dance was amazing." I smiled. "Really?" my dad finally spoke up, "you got home pretty late as well." I bit my lower lip slightly, "well technically the dance didn't end till midnight so." I stopped there before I said anything wrong. "And Yixing," my dad turned his attention towards him next. I looked up and saw Lay pick his head up, "yeah?"

 

"You disappeared late last night as well. Mind telling me where you went?" his face turning dead serious. I swallowed hard feeling a heavy pressure weigh back on my shoulders. "I-" "I asked him to go pick up Minji." Qui cut him off. My dad and I looked at Qui. "What?" my dad raised a brow. I sunk deeper into my chair.

 

"Well it was late and you fell asleep early, honey. So I asked Yixing if he would go check up on Minji." she replied rather calm. Was this true? I thought to myself. My dad took a deep breath, "you could have woken me up you know." Suddenly the room grew more awkward. "Yes, but I know how much you hate being woken up so I decided to let you sleep." Qui was the only one who seemed calm about the whole situation. 

 

I finally stood up before my dad exploded, "done! I'll go clean up." I grabbed my plate and quickly left the room. I let my breath out once I reached the sink, "so awkward." I mumbled to myself. "Need help." I heard a voice behind me. I quickly turned and saw Lay standing holding his plate.

 

"O-oh it's just you." I sighed in relief. Lay smiled and stepped next to me turning on the facet, "who were you expecting?" I looked at him and shook my head, "no one. Are they fighting?" I asked worried. "No, your dad is still a little upset though." I puffed my cheeks and began helping his wash the dishes.

 

"You think he knows?" I asked more quietly just in case someone else would sneak up on us. Lay shrugged, "your father isn't dumb he's bound to catch up sooner or later." he replied. I nodded and grabbed a dish towel drying my hands, "can I ask you something else?" Lay nodded and turned off the facet, "go ahead." I paused for a second before I spoke, "do you really like me?"

 

Lay looked up at the window that was placed right above the sink, he shrugged, "no, I don't like you...I love you." My heart suddenly stopped, he loves me? "But," he turned to face me, "maybe that's all it'll ever be." My heart dropped, "what?" He smiled and ruffled my hair, "if things weren't so complicated trust me you would have been mine by now." 

 

I could feel tears slowly forming on my tear ducts, my lips quivering. I looked away and nodded, "guess we'll never be anything but this." I felt a pair of hands cup my cheeks, I turned and saw Lay. His expression suddenly sad and hurt. "Please don't be sad Minji it hurts seeing you like this." he then leaned down and pressed his lips on my forehead. I closed my eyes and held onto his sides. I wanted this moment to last forever. 

 

Lay pulled away and hugged me, "we'll find a way to make this work okay." I nodded and wrapped my arms around his waist, "promise me?" "I promise." I could feel Lay's hand caress my back. I suddenly heard Qui and my dad coming. Lay quickly pulled away and I tried to control my emotions. "Hey kids." Qui smiled and placed her dish in the sink. My dad following behind her with a smile.

 

"Qui and I have been thinking lately," he placed his arm around her waist. A big grin plastered on his face. "Yeah?" Lay was eager to know what was going on. "We decided to move the date of our wedding up." Qui replied happily. "What?!" Lay and I were both shocked. "By the end of this month Qui will officially be Mrs. Lee Qui." my dad added. 

 

My throat grew dry and it felt like I swallowed a huge pill, my stomach fell down and my heart shattered. I turned to Lay who also looked just as hurt. "Hey! Aren't you excited?" Qui crossed her arms. Lay stepped to her, "of course we our mom. Congrats." he hugged her and she smiled again hugging her son back. I turned to my dad, "well Minji, give your dad a hug." he opened his arms.

 

I slowly walked up to him and forced a smile while on the inside I was screaming my lungs out. "I'm so happy for you dad." I hugged him and he hugged me back. I turn to look at Lay. He mouthed to me, "be happy for them." I nodded as real tears began to form again on my eye lids.

 

I knew this was going to happen, but so soon? Lay just confessed that he liked me and he would do anything to make me happy. Yet once the wedding comes I know we'll be ripped apart and officially be brother and sisters. Who will have to live the rest of our lives hiding the fact that we love each other. 

 

Lay reached out his hand still hugging Qui. I stared at it before I took it and held his hand tightly, I closed my eyes wanting this nightmare to be over.

 

 

 

"By the end of this month?!" Hani almost fell out her seat when I told her the bad/good news. I nodded and placed my head on the desk. It was the following Monday after the dance and everyone was still talking about it. While on the other hand I was thinking about something much more important.

 

"But that's in like three weeks!" she counted with her hands. "Two actually." I sat back up, "and Qui is going absolutely crazy trying to get everything ordered and on time." "That's ridiculous you can't plan a wedding in less than two weeks." Hani sat back crossing her arms. I shrugged, "I have a feeling it wasn't her idea, but my dads." "Your dad?" Hani's eyes widen. "But-" "Morning class." our homeroom teacher came in and we had to cease our conversation.

 

At lunch Lay and I stayed quiet most of the time which wasn't surprising for him, but it seemed like everyone was interested in what was wrong with me. "Boss is something wrong?" Chanyeol nudged my side. "Huh?" I looked at him and shook my head, "oh no! Just some things have been going trough my head." "Something you'd like to talk about?" Kai offered a pocky. I turned down his offer, "it's nothing to worry about guys." I smiled and he shrugged putting the pocky in his mouth. I looked at Lay who was starring at me. I took a deep breath and looked away.

 

By the end of the day I was completely exhausted. All this stress was really bringing me down and I just wanted to go home and take a long nap. "Hey Minji!" I heard someone call my name and turned around. Lay was running towards me. I looked around and quickly went to meet up to him, "what's wrong?" 

 

Lay stopped in front of me and smiled, "nothing. Let's go on a date." he suddenly said out of no where. "What?!" I was shocked, but before I can reply he grabbed my wrist and pulled me along with him. "Not taking no for an answer now lets go." W-where are we going?" I asked trying to keep up with his pace. He seemed in a rather good mood for what was happening.

 

"Name it, we can go to the arcade, get something to eat, walk around the park. You name it and I'll take you there." he replied. I couldn't help but smile, "what's gotten into you?" He chuckled and placed his arm around me. I paused for a second surprised before I had to continue walking. "I just want to take you out is that so bad?" I shook my head, "of course not."

 

We stopped by a local food stand and ordered tteokbokki, fish cakes and noddles. We sat by a near by local food market table and pigged out. "So how do you feel about the sudden wedding date?" I asked lay as he was preparing his noddles. "I think my mom has lost it," he chuckled, "she can't have everything ready within two weeks." I laughed softly and nodded, "if she pulls it off she's wonder women."

 

Lay grabbed a pair of chopsticks and blew on his noddles before he reached over to feed me. I was taken back by his sudden action, but leaned in to take them. "Mm delicious." He sat back and took some for himself. I chewed on the noddles and starred at him, "I have a feeling it was my dad who wanted to rush into it." Lay nodded and looked back at me, "I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't." I sighed, "he's ." 

 

Lay laughed, "we should be happy for our parents." I took a huge bite of the fish cake and rolled my eyes, "I know he did that just to annoy me." Lay kicked my leg slightly, "hey, even though his timing is horrible we should support their decision." I nodded and sat up, "I know...feed me again." I grinned and leaned in as Lay feed me more noodles.

 

We arrived home together. It felt good to actually spend quality time with Lay. I wish we could be like this more often. I entered first and laughed at a remark Lay had made. "We're home!" I yelled knowing Qui would be home. I kicked my shoes off and walked in, but was surprised to see my dad. "Oh hey dad."

 

He turned with a worried look on his face. I suddenly grew nervous, "is something wrong? Why are you home early?" He stood up and Qui walked by his side, she too looked worried. Lay stood next to me, "mom? What's going on?" My dad rubbed the back of his next and walked towards me.

 

"Minji..." he trailed on. "Yes dad?" I wanted him to spit it out already. He took a deep breath, "your mom called." My eyes widen and my heart started to race, "what?!" "Your biological mom, she wants to meet you."

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» so so so very sorry! I know it's been months since I last updated OTL I owe all my readers an explanation but in all honesty I lost the muse to finish this story. NO worries though, I will try to finish this since it has so many faithful readers. I'd like to thank those who stuck by this story even though the author has been slacking >< I do read every one of your comments and it warms my heart knowing that you guys are patiently waiting for updates. I love you all so very much! ^^