Chapter 38

Oh! Brother

 

MINJI POV

 

"W-what?" I was at a lost for words. Did I hear this correctly? "Minji, Yixing come on let's go!" I heard my dad call out for us. I turned around, "hold on." I raised my hand and turned back to Lay.

 

"D-did you just-" "Come on," Lay started walking before me, "lets go before you catch a cold." he said. I took a deep breath, what just happened? And I followed behind him.

 

"You okay there Yixing?" my dad asked him. "Yeah, sorry I've been acting like a complete jerk today." he replied. I couldn't help but smile. "Well lets go I'm starving." Zhou Mi clapped his hands and headed towards the car. I glanced at Lay, but shook my head and followed behind Zhou Mi.

 

The ride was quiet the whole way back. I blew into my hands, "man I'm cold." I shivered. "Oh here take this." Lay took off his scarf. "I got it." my dad pushed his arm away and handed me his instead. I stared at my dad for a while, "t-thanks." Lay slowly put his arm down.

 

 

"Where have you been?" Qui asked kissing my dad's cheek. "Get a room." Xui Li gaged and set a huge bowl of fired rice in the middle of the table.  "Zhou Mi come here!" Mei grabbed his arm and lead him to the table, "I made your favorite." she pushed him down on the seat.

 

"T-thanks mom." Zhou Mi was a bit startled and sat down. I quickly went to change into dry clothes. When I got back I took a seat next to my dad. "Hey!" Qui slapped Zhou Mi's hand as he reached for the chicken, "we need to say grace first." she scolded. Zhou Mi pouted and brought his hand back.

 

Lay was the last to sit down since he had to change out of his wet clothes as well. He decided to sit next to me. I froze for a second. "Lets join hands." Mei said. My dad grabbed my hand and put his head down. I got the idea and quickly grabbed Lay's hand and bowed my head.

 

"Lord we thank you for finally bringing this family together," Mei started, "and thanks for bringing such two warm and nice people into our lives." I felt Lay tighten his grip a little. "Amen." she finished. "Amen!" we all chimed and began digging into the food.

 

Like always the conversation consisted of me not understanding and occasionally nodding my head. Lay placed a slice of cheesecake on my plate. "Thanks." I smiled and started eating it. "So since we don't know you each other well lets play a game to get to know each other." Xui Mi offered.

 

"Okay." my dad responded. "What's going on?" I asked him. "We're going to play a game." my dad replied. "Oh," I nodded, "cool." "Okay lets move to the living room." Qui clapped her hands and placed her napkin on the table. I watched as everyone started to get up. "Wait!" I cried and took one last bite of my cheesecake.

 

 

 

"We have Monopoly." Zhou Mi held out the board. "Nope." Xui Li made a face, "that's too long and boring," "Okay," Zhou Mi placed it back in it's place, "how about Twister?" he asked. "Yes!" Qui jumped, "I'm good at that." "Okay so Twister it is." Zhou Mi got up and began to take out the sheet.

 

"Should we team up." Xui Li asked. "I'm going to be the spinner." Mei raised her hand. "Okay, how about youngest to oldest." Zhou Mi suggested. "Good idea, Qui and Taehyun, Zhou Mi and I and Yixing and Minji." Xui Li snapped her fingers. "Good idea." Qui nodded and went to my dad.

 

"You're with me." Lay grabbed my arm. "Oh," I was caught off guard and suddenly grew nervous. "Okay who's first?" Mei asked. "We'll let the old people go first." Zhou Mi joked. "Hey I'm old watch your mouth!" Mei scolded. "Oh sorry mom." he bowed and quickly hid behind Xui Li.

 

"Okay we got this." Qui began to stretch. I laughed as my dad supposedly started to stretch when in reality he was just swinging his arms around. "Ready?" Mei asked. "Yes!" they both chanted. "Okay," Mei began to spin the board, "Qui left foot red, Taehyun left foot green." she instructed.

 

We all burst into laugher as the game went on, Qui and my dad lost right away which made Qui a little upset. Zhou Mi and Xui Li lasted longer until Xui Li's foot slipped causing them both to fall over. "Okay you're next." Mei told us. I nodded and got on the end of the sheet.

 

Mei spun the needle, "okay Yixing right arm yellow, Minji right arm blue." she said. Lay translated for me as we played the game. Everyone grew quiet as 10 minutes passed. We beat everyone, but we kept going. "Minji left foot green." Mei said. "Left foot green." Lay translated. "Okay." I looked down as sweat ran down my forehead.

 

I bit my lip and reached for it. "Yixing left arm red." Mei said. Just than Lay reached over me and placed his arm on the red. We were only inches from touching each others face. "Ahh they're going to fall!" Xui Li cried and covered her eyes. Lay smiled as his eyes meet mine.

 

My elbows began to wobble. "Minji right foot yellow." Mei said. "Right foot yellow." Lay whispered, his breath hitting my face. I nodded and escalated my foot. Just then I felt someone kick my leg softly causing me to fall. "Whoa!" Lay lost his balance and landed on top of me.

 

"Zhou Mi why would you do that?!" Qui scolded him. "Sorry," he laughed, "I was doing them a favor. They looked tired." I looked up and saw Lay's face only inches from mine. My throat grew dry and I tired to speck. Just then Lay was pulled off, "okay game over." my dad said.

 

I quickly sat up and brushed my shirt down. "Lets call it a night." he added. "Yeah," Mei yawned, "I'm tired." I watched as my dad slightly glared at Lay and went to Qui. I tilted my head. "Watch out." I felt something being pulled under me. "Oh sorry." I quickly moved as Zhou Mi folded the sheet.

 

"Night Minji." he smiled as he placed the sheet into the box. I bowed, "yes." I turned around and was surprised to see Lay standing behind me. "Omo!" I grabbed onto my heart. "Meet me in the stable in about 10 minutes." he said before walking off. I bit my lip and watched him leave, what now?

 

 

 

The night air was chilly and as I waited in the stable. It was way pass 10 minutes, did Lay stood me up like I did to him? I questioned myself. "Just wait 5 more minutes." I told myself. "Hey." I suddenly heard someone behind me. I turned around and saw Lay pop his head inside. 

 

I smiled, "hey." Lay looked down and walked in. "So..." I trailed on, "what did you want to tell me?" I asked. "Before that I want to give you this." he said reaching into his pocket and pulling out a small box. "What's that?" I asked. "Your Christmas gift." he replied.

 

My eyes widen, "gift?!" Lay nodded and gave it to me. I grabbed it and slowly opened it. "Whoa!" my heart stopped as I pulled out a silver necklace. "Lay this must have cost you a fortune!" I was shocked. Lay shrugged his shoulders, "it was nothing." I suddenly felt bad, "I-I still haven't gotten you your gift." 

 

"It's okay." Lay shook his hand. "No I need to get you something now." I argued, "I mean look at this!" I held the necklace up. Lay laughed, "okay how about a car." My mouth fell open, "yeah...not going to happen." I said placing it back inside the box. Lay chuckled, "here let me help you."

 

He reached over and grabbed the necklace, "turn around." he ordered. I slowly turned and felt his hands brush against my collar bone. A cold chill ran down my spine. "There." his hot breath hit the back of my neck. I looked down and saw the diamond heart shaped chain, "thanks."

 

I turned around, "I'm guessing you're not mad at me anymore." "How can I be mad at someone who saved my life today?" he said. I nodded, "ture...you do owe me." I joked. Lay pushed my shoulder softly, "shut up." I laughed and got serious, "Lay about today," I started, "at the lake where you said that you liked me. Is it true?" I asked getting nervous.

 

Lay thought for a moment, "I mean I do care about you a lot." he replied. I nodded, "me too!" Lay smiled, "really?" "Yeah," I nodded, "but that's it. I like you as a friend." I added not wanting it to be awkward between us. "What?" Lay tilted his head. 

 

I nodded, "I said I like you as a friend, I also care about you as a brother." Lay sighed, "oh..." He sounded disappointed. "I mean w-what did you think I meant?" I asked biting my lip. "The same thing." Lay replied, "I like you...as a friend." I nodded and smiled, "great!" I clapped my hands.

 

Even though I like Lay more than just a friend, I'm still not sure how he feels about me. Until he admits it I'll openly accept it. I just need him to make the first move. Which may never happen. "We should go back inside." I suggested. Lay sighed, "you can go in first I'm staying out here for a while."

 

I tilted my head, "d-do you want me to stay?" "No," Lay shook his head, "if you don't mind I want to be alone." I suddenly felt bad, "y-you sure?" "Yes." Lay began walking off. I took a deep breath, "okay." I turned around and held onto my bread new necklace, "night Lay." There was no reply.

 

~~~~

 

I woke up the next day feeling like crap. What if Lay really likes me and not in the brotherly way? I puffed my cheeks and placed the blanket over my head, "why is this so complicated?" "Minji." I heard my door open. I quickly pulled the blanket off and looked at the door, "yes?"

 

Victoria was at the door, "c-can we talk?" she asked. I nodded, "yeah...sure." I swung my legs over the bed and put on my slippers. Victoria lead me to the backyard. "Is something wrong?" I asked. Victoria stopped walking and turned around, "did Lay give you that?" she asked pointing at my necklace.

 

I looked down and slowly nodded, "yeah." She sighed, "of course." "Are you okay?" I asked. Victoria eyes got watery, "I'm sorry for what I did. It was wrong and I promise to never interfere with you two." she replied. I furrowed my eyebrows, "what are you talking about?"

 

She wiped her tears away, "just do me a favor and please leave as soon as possible." she replied. I was shocked to hear her response, "um...I don't know when I'll be leaving." Victoria straighten her back and approached me, she was really tall so I had to look up at her. "Hurry up and go back home I'm tired of seeing your face." she spat and purposely bumped into my shoulder.

 

My mouth fell open, what did I do? I looked back and saw Victoria leaving. "Victoria wait!" I called out for her, but she slammed the door shut. I jumped a little, "okay?"

 

I walked back inside and found Xui Li and Zhou Mi hugging Mei. "Please don't go!" Mei cried. "Mom we have to go back to work." Xui Li said. "Yeah mom we'll be back soon." Zhou Mi said. "No!" Mei shook her head and held onto them tighter. "We're leaving too." Qui said bringing out a suitcase. "You too!" Mei cried and ran to her, "no!"

 

"Minji," my dad tapped my shoulder. "Yeah?" "Go pack we're leaving today." he replied. "We are?!" I was shocked. I kind of didn't want to leave, but I did miss my own room and friends. Oh I missed my friends! I turned and watch as Zhou Mi tired to pull Mei off of Qui. I smiled and quickly went upstairs.

 

I packed my suitcase and grabbed a pack of cards. Or more specifically Lay's, lame, gift that I spent almost all night doing. I put it into my pocket and went back downstairs. "Mom we'll be back soon I promise!" Qui whined. "You said that last time and never came!" Mei cried.

 

"It was nice meeting you." Zhou Mi came forward and bowed. "Y-yes." I bowed. He messed with my hair, "I'll see you soon." I smiled as Xui Li met with me next, "you be a good girl to my sister and nephew okay." she said pointing her finger at me. "Yes ma'am." I bowed not knowing what she said, but whatever it was it must have been important. She smiled and hugged me.

 

"Minji!" I heard Mei cry. My eyes widen, "y-yes?" "I'm so sorry I was evil to you!" she cried and hugged me. I held onto her as she started to slip, "M-mei?" "Please forgive me!" she looked up at me and cried. I nodded, "y-yes." She held onto me tighter. "I'm ready." Lay came down.

 

Mei looked up, "Yixing!" she ran to him. Qui, Xui Li and Zhou Mi all face palmed themselves. I laughed and watched as Mei smothered Lay with kisses.

 

After a long time of constantly saying goodbyes we boarded the car and left. I was going to miss Mei a lot. Even though we had a rough start I actually found myself liking her. In fact I'm going to miss all of Lay's family, including Victoria. Even though we didn't get to say goodbye she was still nice and I wished we could have somehow became friends even to the end.

 

~~~~

 

The plane ride was long and tiring, we arrived around 9 p.m. "Yay home!" I threw my suitcase aside and ran inside the living room. I got on the couch and began jumping up and down, "I missed you!" "Yah get down!" my dad scolded. I pouted and jumped off, "fine."

 

"Oh I'm so tired." Qui yawned and just threw her suitcase aside as well. "We should all catch some sleep." my dad suggested. "Okay." I began walking upstairs. Lay started walking behind me. "Wait Yixing," me dad called him. I turned around and so did he, "yeah?"

 

My dad crossed his arms, "your room is finished." he announced. My eyes widen, "really?" Qui and I both asked. My dad nodded, "you no longer have to room with Minji." I felt a little disappointed. I knew this day would come, but I kind of wished he would always room with me.

 

"O-okay." Lay walked back down, "where is it at?" he asked. "Down there." my dad pointed at the basement door, "far away from Minji." he added. A huge dry lump formed in my throat. Was my dad catching on? I suddenly got extremely worried. All this time I was worried about what Lay would think about me liking him.

 

I never took into consideration on what my father might think about it. And by the looks of it he doesn't like it one bit.

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» SO SORRY I HAVEN"T UPDATED!!! *bows* I had to do a school project which took forevar! But I'm back now. Hope you liked this update. Sorry for any typos, it's late and like always I'm too lazy. Please comment and subscribe ^^