Chapter 28

Oh! Brother

 

The ride back was silent, well for me. The guys sang along to the radio while I rested my head against the window and watched as trees,light post, and cars, pass me by. My head was filled with so many thoughts.

 

Should I confess to Lay?

What if he doesn't feel the same way?

What if I just make it awkward for us?

How would Tao feel?

 

I don't want to hurt Tao. Yeah, he's hurt me once, but other than that he's been nothing but nice to me. It's clear to me that he's genuinely sorry for what he did. And I can really see myself with him, but now that Lay's in the picture I'm not so sure where I see myself.

 

I agree it's weird having some feeling for your soon to be step-brother. Even though I don't see it like that, other people will, and even he may see it like that. "Ew, but I'm like your brother." I can already hear Lay's words play out in my head as I confess to him.

 

I sighed, "I'm so confused." "What's that?" Hani asked. "Oh," I snapped to reality, "n-nothing. I'm confused about school, you know math and English. It really confuses me." I lied and laughed it off. "Oh I know." Hani said. I smiled and laid my head on her shoulder, "can we switch lives?" I asked. Hani laughed, "what?" I sat up and shook my head, "never mine."

 

"We're here!" Kris announced as he parked the van. "Yay finally my legs hurt." Chanyeol quickly opened the door and hopped out. Everyone followed and I was last to get out. "Need help?" Tao offered his hand. "I'm good." I said kindly rejecting his offer. "Okay lets all thank Suho for planning this trip." Kris said.

 

"Thank you Suho!" we all chimed and clapped. Suho smiled, "no problem it was a lot of fun." "Easy for you to say, I almost died." Sehun whined. "Will you shut up!" Kai smacked him across the back of his head. "Ow!" Sehun cried and walked away. "Get used to it, he's going to use that excuse for every situation now." Chen said placing his arm around Kai.

 

I smiled and walked to Hani, who was getting her suitcase. "Want to walk home together?" I offered. "Oh sorry Minji, but I ugh-" "It's okay I'll just go home with Kai." D.O popped out of nowhere making me jump a little. "O-oh no i-it's okay you two can go together." I said holding my hands up.

 

"You sure?" Hani asked. I nodded, "yeah, you be safe now okay." I whispered the last part. Hani laughed and pushed me away, "shut up." "Why can't we walk together?" Lay came up behind me. "Omo!" I jumped and turned around. "Yah what did I say about you doing that!?" I held on to my racing heart.

 

"Sorry, I'm just naturally quiet." he shrugged his shoulders. I let my breath out, "you should really start wearing a bell around your ankles." I joked while I pulled my suitcase out. Lay laughed and helped pull mine out. "Thanks." I said as it finally came free. "No problem." he said grabbing his.

 

"Minji want me to walk you home?" Tao came and offered. "Oh sorry I'm leaving with Lay already." I said and started at Lay. "Oh really?" Tao's shoulders sank. I looked at him, "sorry." I apologized feeling bad, but Lay did ask first.

 

"It's okay, I'll see you tomorrow then." Tao smiled and waved. I smiled back, "okay be safe." I waved back and began walking next to Lay. "Bye guys." I waved as we parted ways. "Bye Minji and Lay." they said back. I looked at Kris who nodded. I gulped feeling the pressure to make a decision.

 

"You hungry?" Lay asked. "What? Oh no not really I'm just tired." I replied turning my head away from Kris. "Minji you okay? You didn't say a word the whole way back." Lay asked. I nodded, "yeah, like I said I'm just tired." I lied. Of course I'm not okay. It's times like this I wish I had the ability to read minds. Sometimes I want to know what's going on in Lay's head. It's probably filled with boring elevator music.

 

I laughed at my imagination. "You sure you're okay?" Lay asked," you're starting to scare me." he added. I smiled and nodded, "I'm fine don't worry." "Okay." Lay said and reached into his pocket. "Want to listen to music?" he offered taking his IPod out. I nodded, "okay." Lay gently placed a headphone in my ear and the rest of the way back was filled with sweet, serenity, music.

 

 

"Did you have fun?" Qui asked as we stepped into the house. I nodded, "yeah." "Except for when Minji got-" I quickly elbowed Lay's side, "don't tell." I whispered. "Minji what?" my dad asked. I quickly grew nervous, if my dad finds out I almost got caught in a blizzard he'll never let me leave his sight.

 

"Please." I mouthed. "Minji got...stuck in the elevator." Lay quickly came up with a lie. Qui gasped, "you okay?" she asked concerned. I nodded and quickly avoided my dad, "yeah I'm fine, well I'm really tired so I'll see you tomorrow. Night!" I ran upstairs.  "Minji wait!" my dad called me. I closed my eyes and turned around, "yeah?"

 

"Welcome back." he said. I was caught by surprise, "what?" My dad smiled, "it's glad to have you back," he turned to Lay, "the two of you." he added. "Yeah, we miss hearing you two arguing" Qui smiled and patted Lay's back. "O-oh I missed you too." I smiled and ran back up, "kay bye!"

 

I closed the door behind me and let my breath out, "I thought I was going to be in trouble." I collapsed on my bed. I snuggled with my pillow, I really did miss my home. I especially miss sharing a room with Lay. I blushed at my thought and buried my face into my pillow, "ah what did you do to me?"

 

~~~~

 

The next day I woke up with my shoes off and a blanket over me. I don't remember ever doing so and it quickly hit me that Lay must have done it while I fell asleep. I blushed and sat up, excited to see his face, but was disappointed when I saw that he was already gone. I sighed and climbed out of bed, "of course."

 

I reached the school and and was greeted by Tao. "Hey Minji, did you get home safe?" he asked. I nodded, "yeah." "Did Lay try to touch you?" Tao asked raising a brow. "What?" I was taken back, "n-no." I answered. Tao quickly smiled, "good."

 

I began to head inside. "Tao, do you have some sort of problem with Lay?" I asked remembering when he took Lay to talk privately. I was still curious to know what the conversation was about. Tao sighed, "let's just say that right now Lay is not my favorite person." he replied. I looked at him, "did he do something to you?" I stopped walking and asked. Tao looked at me and nodded, "yeah, he's trying to take something from me." 

 

"Like what?" I asked beginning to walk again. "You know you have a lot of questions." Tao laughed. "I'm just concerned." I said stepping inside the school building. "Don't worry about it." Tao said. "Yo Tao!" I heard Chanyeol yell for him. "I'll see you later." Tao said excusing himself. I nodded and watched him leave, why won't he tell me?

 

 

"Minji Minji Minji!" Yoona came running to me at lunch. I stepped back as she approached me, "you okay?" I asked. "We need your help!" she cried. "Help?" I raised a brow. She nodded, "the prom committee needs you!" she yelled dramatically. I looked around as people began to point and stare.

 

"Yoona calm down." I said trying to shush her. "Please meet me after school it's a matter of life or death!" she pleaded. "Fine fine I'll be there." I gave in. Yoona quickly smiled, "thanks you're the best." she said walking away. "Aish that girl, she should really join the drama club." I said to myself as I walked away.


"Hey guys." I waved as I approached the table. "Hey Minji, come I saved you a seat." Tao said standing up and pointing at the seat next to him. I bit my lip and looked at Lay, who was, you guessed it, listening to music alone. I sighed and smiled, "okay." I made my way around the table and sat down next to Tao.

 

"So what was that whole scene about?" Hani asked. I shook my head, "crazy Yoona wants me to stay after school." I replied while I poured ketchup on my fries. "After school?" D.O asked, who was sitting next to Hani. It was clear those two were officially a thing.

 

I nodded, "yeah something for prom." I replied taking a bite of my fry. He nodded and took a sip of his soda. "Want me to wait for you?" Tao offered. I looked at him, "sorry, but don't you have to work in your grandmas shop?" I asked. "Oh yeah...I can still wait." he smiled.

 

I shook my head, "no it's okay, besides these things tend to take forever." I replied taking a sip of my water. "Then I'll wait for you." Lay said. I almost choked on my water, I could have sworn he wasn't paying attention. "You okay?" Hani patted my back. I nodded and continued to cough, "I-I'm fine."

 

"I can wait for you since I quit my job." Lay smiled. I looked over to Tao who was sending him a death stare. I shook my head, "n-no it's okay I can take care of myself." "You sure? There's lots of weirdos out at night." Kai asked joining the conversation. I nodded, "yeah." I looked over at Lay who continued to mess with his IPod. Then I looked at Tao who suddenly looked pissed. I tilted my head, what's up with those two?

 

~~~~

 

"Okay I'd like to thank those who came to this meeting." Yoona announced. I leaned and whispered to Taemin, "did she drag you here?" Taemin leaned toward me, "yes." he replied. I laughed and looked over at Krystal, who had her arms crossed. I quickly backed away. Forgot that her and Taemin are now a thing.

 

"Anyway todays topic is about the theme for prom." Yoona continued. I gasped, "that's the emergency?!" She looked at me and nodded, "yeah." "Ohmygosh." I threw my hands in the air and sat back. "Anyway we have a budget so any suggestions?" Key came forward holding a clip board.

 

I rubbed my temples, "you've got to be kidding me?"

 

 

"Who would want to come dressed as caveman?" Tiffany asked. So far it's been three hours and the themes were ranging from mobsters to fairytale. "I would." Jonghyun raised his arm, "gives me a chance to show my guns." he flexed his arms. "Stop!" Key hit him across the head.

 

"We're getting no where." I complained and rested my head on the desk. "I agree." Taemin sat back and crossed his arms. "Forget it caveman is a no." Yoona erased it of the board. "I still think Hollywood is good." Krystal said. "I agree." Minho said raising his arm.

 

"But that's too much, and theres no way we're paying $1,000 for a red carpet." Key said erasing it from the board. Krystal sat back. "Anyone else has ideas?" Yoona asked. I quickly looked away hoping she wouldn't call me. "Minji." she said. I sighed, "of course."

 

"Any ideas?" she asked. I sat up and blew my hair out of my face, "well since we're on a budget why not make it memories of the past?" I replied. Actually that thought hit me when Key suggested 90's theme. "Memories of the past?" Tiffany asked. I nodded, "yeah, since most of us won't ever see each other why not make it memorable. You know, have a slideshow of the students." 

 

"That's not so bad, we can get pictures from the students." Tiffany said. "And it's not expensive." Onew added. Yoona nodded, "sounds good I like it." she wrote in on the board. I smiled, "finally." I got up. "Wait, how about Paris?" Key got up. I sat back down, "here we go again."

 

 

"Man it's already 8? My dads going to kill me." I said checking my phone. "I know I can't believe we just went back to fairytale, I really liked your idea." Onew said. I sighed, "oh well." He smiled, "hey you need a ride." he offered. I shook my head, "no it's okay." If my dad seen me arriving with a stranger he'll kill me. "But thanks." I smiled. "Okay well see you tomorrow." Onew said waving. "Bye." I waved back and began to walk home.

 

It wasn't long until I felt someone following me. I quickly turned back and saw a tall guy turn around. I looked away, Minji you're just paranoid. I shrugged my shoulders and began walking again, this time quickening my pace. I turned the corner and felt a pair of arm grab me.

 

"Ah!" I yelled from shock and tried to escape. "Don't yell." the stranger covered my mouth, but I bit him hard. "Ow!" he cried and pushed me away. I quickly turned around and got in my fighting stance. The stranger was wearing a ski mask that only showed his eyes.

 

"Who are you?" I asked a stupid question, like I really cared. But for some reason he seemed very familiar. Just then he charged me, but I back away and round house kicked him in the face. "Ow!" he cried holding his cheek and backed away. "That's mean." he said.

 

I put my arms down, "what?" "Minji I'll save you!" I heard someone yell. Just then Tao jumped out of nowhere and punched the stranger in the face. The stranger back away, "ouch!" he yelled and stomped his foot. Okay what kind of thief acts like a complete wimp.

 

"You okay?" Tao asked coming to me. I gave him a weird look, "yeah." "Imma kill you!" the stranger charged holding a plastic pocket knife. "Leave her alone!" I heard someone else yell. Just then Lay came out of nowhere and kicked the guy in the stomach. "Ow that's my tummy!" the stranger cried falling on the ground.

 

"Okay what's going on!?" I shook my head. "What are you doing here?" Tao went up to Lay. "I came to make sure Minji came home safe." Lay replied clenching his fist. I looked over and watched as the stranger struggled to get up and began to run away. 

 

"Oh no you don't!" I ran and jumped on his back. "Ah let go!" he cried as I put him a choke hold. "Who are you?" I asked grabbing a hold of his mask. "No!" he yelled and I yanked it off and he fell on the floor. I looked at the mask then back at him, "Chanyeol?!"

 

"H-hey." he waved and laughed nervously. I looked back at Tao and Lay, "what the heck is going on?!" I yelled throwing the mask on the ground. Chanyeol got up, "l-looks like I'm no longer needed." he said attempting to get away, but I quickly grabbed him by the ear.

 

"Ow that hurts." he cried as I pushed him to Tao and Lay. I crossed my arms, "explain...now!" "Tao paid me to pretend to kid nap you so he can save you and be your hero!" Chanyeol confessed and held his hands up. "What?!" I yelled. "Chanyeol!" Tao scolded him. "Sorry, but my whole body hurts and I'm hungry." he cried and began to run off.

 

My mouth was hung open and I was boiling with anger. "You tired to get me kidnapped?!" I shouted. "M-M-Minji I-I uh..." Tao came forward. "And you? Were you in this too?" I pointed at Lay, who was trying not to laugh. "Me? No I really came to check up on you." he replied.

 

"Liar!" Tao yelled, "you were trying to ruin my plan." Lay looked at him, "next time you try to pretend to be a hero by getting someone kidnapped, make sure you hire an actual person who can at least seem legit." he joked. I was in complete shock, "this is unbelievable!" I threw my hands in the air and began to stormed off.

 

"Minji wait." Tao grabbed my arm. "You're sick Tao!" I yanked my arm away. Lay began to laugh. "And you!" I pointed at him, "if you knew about this why didn't you tell me!" Lay's smile quickly went away, "you're mad at me too?" he pointed at himself.

 

My mouth fell open, "you two...are unbelievable." I said again, this time walking away.

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» okay Chanyeol has to be the cutest kidnapper ever lol. Hope you enjoyed. Please comment and subscribe^^