Chapter 33

Oh! Brother

 

Red = Chinese

 

"Mom!" Qui yelled and went to my side. "Minji are you okay?" Lay asked grabbing my arm. I wiped the water off my face, "just perfect." I replied. "Mei, why would you do that?" Victoria scolded who I assumed was Qui's mom, "you okay?" she asked. I nodded, "I'm fine, it's just holy water." I replied.

 

"Come on Minji." my dad grabbed my arm. "Honey where are you going?" Qui asked. "I'm sorry, but I can't have my daughter be treated like this. We're leaving." he replied. "A-appa." I pulled out of his grip. "Mom this is all your fault." Qui complained.

 

"It's okay, I'm fine." I told my dad. "You really want to stay here?" he asked. I looked over at Lay and Victoria who had the same concern expression on their face. "Yeah I'll be fine." I replied. "Come on you must be freezing." Qui ran over to me with a towel. "Thanks." I said taking it. 

 

Qui placed her arm around my shoulder, "mom she's staying here weather you like it or not." Mei stared at me for a while. "Sorry." I apologized and bowed, for what? I have no idea, it just seemed like the right thing to do. "Fine," she gave in, "but if all my horses mysteriously die I'm blaming her." she said and walked inside. "Come on Minji." Qui lead me inside. I looked at Lay, but quickly turned away. 

 

"Here this use to be my old room." Qui said opening the curtains. The sky was turning a mixture of orange and pink. The room was painted a light pink and had a small bed to match the girly room. "I'm really sorry for what my mother did to you. She usually doesn't act like that." Qui apologized.

 

"It's okay, I think I can agree with her.I am a curse." I said taking the towel and hanging it on a chair to dry. "Nonsense, if anything you're a blessing." Qui my hair and smiled. "Thanks." I said looking down. "The bathroom is just down the hall and to your left if you want to wash up." Qui said walking away.

 

"Qui," I called out to her. "Yeah?" she said turning around. "Please never fight with my dad again." I said. Qui smiled, "I won't. I'm sorry you had to see that side of me." she apologized. "It's okay, just promise me you won't fight with my dad anymore." Qui smiled, "I promise. Dinner will be ready soon." she said before leaving the room.

 

I looked around and threw myself on the bed. "What a long day." I said as I touched my face. It no longer felt swollen so that was good. 

 

Knock Knock

 

I sat up, "come in." The door opened slowly and Lay popped his head inside, "can I come in?" he asked. I sighed and nodded, "sure." He stepped inside and closed the door behind him, "so how are you?" he asked. Well I just had holy water thrown at my face. Oh and not to mention, YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND! "I'm fine." I replied.

 

"Sorry about my grandma, you'll grow to like her." he smiled. I nodded, "okay." There was an awkward silence in the room. "So..." Lay trailed on. "You never told me you had a girlfriend." I blurted out. "What?" Lay tilted his head. "Oops." I quickly covered my mouth, but it was too late.

 

Lay smiled and took a seat on the chair next to the small desk. "Victoria's not my girlfriend." he said. "What?!" I was taken back. Lay laughed, "she's my grandma's neighbor. We would always play when we were young. She would say we were boyfriend and girlfriend, but we aren't." he explained.

 

I felt completely stupid. Crap. "Why? Are you jealous?" Lay asked raising a brow. "What?! Me! No way." I laughed it off. "Sure." Lay said standing up, "go wash up before you get a cold." he said. I stood up, "okay." "Oh yeah," Lay said turning to me. "Yeah?" I asked. "May the demons be gone with you." he said spraying my face with holy water. "LAY!"

 

 

 

"Minji dinner!" I heard Qui yell. "Coming." I said towel drying my hair and making my way downstairs. I looked around still not knowing the place. "Over here." my dad waved at me. I smiled and walked to him. I entered the kitchen and was met with an angry Mei.

 

"H-hello." I said bowing. "I hope you like what I made." she said. I gave her a confused look, "y-yes?" I wasn't sure was she said. She eyed me before walking away. "Have a seat." Qui told me. I nodded and sat on the chair right in front of me. Lay, Qui and Victoria all gasped. "What?" I asked.

 

"T-thats-" "You dare sit on my husbands chair!" Mei shouted and pointed at me. I looked around, "what?" My dad quickly grabbed my arm and pulled me up, "don't sit there." he said. Mei sent daggers at me, "my poor husbands been dead for five years and now his favorite chair is cursed!" she said storming our of the room.

 

"Mom." Qui went after her. I was completely lost, "what did I do?" I asked. Victoria smiled, "oh well lets eat." she said setting a plate with rice. The rest of the day I never saw Mei come back. I really didn't mean to upset her. How was I suppose to know that chair was prohibited?

 

"That was good." Victoria said placing her napkin down. I was still picking at my food. "Does it not taste good?" Qui asked. I looked at her and shook my head, "no I'm just not that hungry." I replied. "First she disrespects me, now she doesn't eat my food." Mei came in the room and glared at me, "how rude." she clicked her teeth and walked out.

 

Even though I didn't understand her, I knew I did something else to made her mad.  "Just ignore her." Qui said. I nodded and got up, "I'm tired." "Minji are you sure you're okay?" my dad asked. I nodded, "yeah. If you excuse me." I bowed and started to walk away.

 

"Wait!" Victoria called for me. "Yeah?" I turned around. She gave Lay a look, "w-we need to go outside and turn the furnace on." she said. "Oh yeah, it's right outside." Lay added. "Okay?" I gave them a weird look. "We should all go together." she offered.

 

"Do I have to go?" I asked annoyed, my body was tired and I really wanted to sleep. "Minji don't be rude." my dad scolded. I sighed, "fine." I gave in. Victoria and Lay smiled as they got up and walked towards me. "Come on." Victoria lead the way.

 

 

"Why is it so far?" I complained as we walked towards the back to a shack. "We're almost there." Lay said holding the flashlight. I crossed my arms trying to keep warm. "Oh Yixing have you heard about slender man?" Victoria asked. "Yeah that old legion, what about him?" Lay replied.

 

"What's slender man?" I asked trying to stay in the conversation. Victoria stopped and grabbed my arm, "it's this really old legion of this guy who would hide in the woods and take little kids." she explained. "Yeah, he's called slender man because he's really tall and skinny with no face." Lay added.

 

I grew a little scared, "okay, but he goes for little kids right?" Victoria shook her head, "or anyone who believes in him." "Yeah he'll sneak into your room late at night and take you away." Lay added. I started at the two and scoffed, "yeah right." I acted like I didn't care, but in reality I wanted to run back to the house and run to my dad.

 

"Believe what you want." Victoria said, "anyway I heard Lilu and Aiguo went missing last week." she said. "Really?!" Lays eyes widen, "what happened?" "I don't know, they were camping in the woods and never came back." "Maybe they ran away." I suggested.

 

"With all their stuff still on campus?" Victoria questioned. I backed away, "maybe." "Oh didn't they use to always call out for slender man?" Lay asked. "Yeah, I guess he finally got them." Victoria replied. Just then the flashlight turned off. "What happened?!" I yelled.

 

"The batteries dead, "Lay said. I felt a cold breeze pass me, "well fix it!" I began to panic. "How am I suppose to fix it?" he asked. "Use your phone!" I replied. "Okay okay." he said taking his cell phone out. I looked around and let my breath out. "Where's Victoria?" Lay asked.

 

I looked around, "she's gone!" "AHH!" I heard a loud cry. "What's that?!" I quickly held onto Lay. "I don't know, Victoria!" he yelled. I dug my face into his chest, "Lay if this is some joke please stop." I cried. "Minji why would I joke around?" he asked. 

 

I felt another cold breeze and held on tighter to Lay, my body began to shake. "Minji you okay?" he asked. I shook my head, "I-I'm so cold." I replied. "Victoria lets give it up!" he called out. "Aw that's lame." she said coming out of her hiding spot.

 

Lay pulled me away, I had tears streaming down my face and my nose felt numb. "Minji you're whole face is hot." Lay said. I sniffed my tears in, "I-I'm cold." I said again. "Okay lets go back inside." he said grabbing my hand and leading me back inside. 

 

Victoria closed the door behind us. My body was trembling, "god I'm cold." I said blowing into my hands. "Lets go to your room." Lay said leading my upstairs. "I'll get a warm towel." Victoria said walking to the kitchen. 

 

I laid back on the bed. Lay pulled the blanket over me and grabbed another from the closet. My teeth were chattering, I wasn't sure why I was so cold. "There are you warm?" he asked placing the second on top of the other one. I nodded, "y-yeah." I replied.

 

"Here's are the towel." Victoria came in holding a dish cloth and a bowl of hot water. "Thanks." Lay said dipping the towel in and placing it on my forehead. "Sorry Minji, I didn't know you would get sick." Victoria apologized. I shook my head, "it's okay."

 

"I think you should go home." Lay told her, "it's getting late and you're parents must be worried." Victoria nodded, "okay, but I'll be back tomorrow." she said. "For what?" Lay asked. She smiled, "Mei is letting me ride Stripes." she replied. "Who's Stripes?" I asked.

 

"My grandpa's horse." Lay replied. "Yeah, Minji you should see him. He's huge and I'm going to finally get to ride him." Victoria grinned. I nodded, "sounds like fun." "You should come!" Victoria suggested. "What?" my eyes widen,  I've never ridden a horse before.

 

"It's be fun right Lay?" she asked him. "Y-yeah." he replied. I could tell there was something wrong with him. "Okay I'll go." I said. "Cool! well see you tomorrow. Bye." Victoria waved before stepping out. Once I knew she was gone I sat up, "what's wrong?" I asked Lay. "Huh? Oh nothing." he replied.

 

"Yeah right, something's wrong tell me." I nudged him with my foot. Lay got up and sighed, "my grandma never let me ride Stripes before." he confessed. "Maybe she wants to protect you." I suggested. Lay shook his head, "it doesn't matter. Get some rest." he said going to the door.

 

"Wait!" I called out. "What?" he turned around. I bit my lip, "I'm scared." Lay smile, "I knew it." he turned routes and sat on the chair. "Okay what do you want me to do this time? Sleep with you." My eyes widen, "no!" Lay laughed, "then what?" I cleared my throat, "wait until I go to sleep." I replied.

 

Lay rested his head on his hand, "that's all?" I nodded and laid back down, "you're not allowed to leave until I'm completely asleep." "Okay." Lay said. I turned to my side and smiled, "good."
 

~~~~

 

LAY POV

 

My head bobbed to the side which caused me to wake up. I looked around, must have passed out. I stretched my arms and legs and yawned at the same time. I got up and walked over to Minji, she was on her back, face looking straight at the ceiling.

 

She was asleep. I touched her cheek softly, she was no longer hot. I took off the towel from her forehead and set it next to the bowl. I looked back at her and smiled, "poor thing." I whispered. I kneeled down and was a few inches from her face, "you had a tough day."

 

I found myself staring at her. Her naturally curled eyelashes, her rosy pink cheeks, her small nose, her perky red lips. I leaned forward and hovered over them. I looked at her as she slept peacefully and couldn't hold it in anymore. One more centimeter and my lips would be touching hers.

 

I felt her soft breathing hit my cheek and I sighed. I gave up and stood up. I can't risk kissing Minji. What if she wakes up and sees what I'm doing? She'll probably kill me. Minji turned to the side still asleep. I smiled and moved a hair strand from her face.

 

I looked at her one last time before I walked towards the door. I turned around, "goodnight." I slowly closed her door and headed to my room.

 

~~~~

 

MINJI POV

 

I woke the next morning with someone knocking on my door. "Come in." I said too lazy to get up and answer the door." Just  then Victoria came in smiling, "you're still in bed?" she asked. I checked my phone to see what time it was, "it's 6:25 a.m." I exclaimed.

 

"And you're still in bed lazy ." she smiled and walked over to me. What kind of people are these? Waking up so early. "You feeling better?" Victoria asked sitting on the edge of the bed. I nodded, "yeah."

 

"Good! Come on Mei is making pancakes." she grabbed my arm and literally pulled me out of bed. "And I was like, baby baby baby oh~" I could hear Mei singing in the kitchen, "baby baby baby no~!"

 

"Morning Mei." Victoria went up to her and kissed her on the cheek. "Oh hey baby girl." she smiled. Mei turned to me and almost had a heart attack, "ohmygosh! The witch has risen." I gave her a weird look then bowed, "morning."

 

"Mei she's not a witch." Victoria told her. "Look at her hair! It's crazy." she said waving her hands around her head. If only I knew what she was talking about. Victoria smiled and turned to me, "lets go set up the table." she suggested.

 

I nodded and followed behind her. "Baby baby baby ohhhh~!" I heard Mei sing, well more like yell.

 

"So what's your relationship with Yixing?" Victoria asked as I set down a plate. "What?" I was caught off guard. Victoria smiled, "you guys seem close." "Oh...yeah." I laughed nervously. "I always wanted a brother." she pouted.

 

"Y-yeah...me too." I said feeling down. That's what he'll always be, my brother. "Morning." Qui came in with a smile. "Oh Victoria you're here already?" she asked. "Yeah, I'm always with Mei since your dad passed away." she replied.

 

Qui nodded and patted her head, "thanks for taking care of her." "No problem." Victoria said. "Okay who wants pancakes?" Mei came in holding a huge batch of fresh pancakes. "Oh I do." I raised my hand.

 

"No! Men first women last." she scolded. I turned to Victoria. "She said men first." she translated. "Oh." I nodded, "okay." I smiled at Mei, but she only glared at me. I gave up and looked away. 

 

"Thanks Mei." my dad smiled as she placed three pancakes on his plate. "You're welcome sweetie." she pinched his cheek. Why does she like him and not me? "Here you go Yixing, 5 for you." she smiled and placed them on his plate. "Uh grandma why so many?" Lay asked. "Because you're too skinny." she replied.

 

Everyone broke into laughter except for me. If only I knew the language, maybe I would get Mei to be nice to me. Breakfast mostly consisted of everyone chatting except for me. And as a plus, Mei would send glares at me every now and then. 

 

"Done!" Victoria got up, "Mei can I go ride Stripes now?" she begged. "Already? I don't know baby girl." she replied. Victoria pouted, "please please please." Wow, do I look like that when I beg? I should stop.

 

"Alright," Mei gave in, "but Yixing go with her." she said. "What?" Lay dropped his fork. "Thanks." Victoria went over and kissed her cheek. Qui grabbed my arm, "you should go too." "What?" I gave her a weird look.

 

"No way!" Mei got up, "I don't want my horses to become cursed too." "Mom!" Qui got up, "stop with this non sense already. Look at this girl." she grabbed my shoulders and I looked up. "Does she look like she can be cursed?"

 

Mei thought for a while and everyone leaned in for her answer. I even found myself waiting for her reply. "YES!" she answered. Everyone sighed. "Grandma," Lay approached her and whispered something in her ear. Mei smiled and nodded, "okay deal."

 

 

 

Mei handed me a shovel, "you clean the horse stables." "What?" I asked taking the shovel. Mei smiled, "and don't you dare touch my horses." she said before leaving. I looked at the shovel then back at Lay. "What?"

 

Lay smiled, "my grandma is trying to give you a chance." he said. "Really?!" I got excited, "what do I have to do?" "Easy," he pointed at the stables, "clean their poop." My smile quickly fell into a frown, "what?"

 

I covered my nose as soon as I stepped inside the first one, "ew!" I cried. "Don't worry Minji," Victoria came up to me wearing a helmet, "you'll get use to the smell eventually." "Thanks." I said and looked back at the horse. He spat on my face, "ew!"

 

"You ready?" Lay asked holding a leash. I wiped my face, "I hate this!" I cried. "Yeah lets go." Victoria went to him. "Hey we'll be riding outside so call if you need anything." Lay said. "I could really use shower." I said in a disgusted face. Lay laughed, "see you later Minji, good luck."

 

~~~~

 

3RD POV

 

 

"Ohmygosh their not paying me enough to do this." Minji said as she pushed the cart full of poop to the dumping place where Lay told her to put it. Sweat dripped from her forehead, even though it was cold outside.

 

Minji dumped the poop and stretched her back, "Mei better love me for this." she said to herself and walked back inside. On her way she saw Lay and Victoria both riding horses. "No you cheated!" she could hear Victoria yell. Lay laughed and told the horse to run away.

 

Jealously filled Minji's body, "why can't I ride a horse?" she asked out loud. "Oh yeah, I'm not allowed." she mocked Mei and walked inside the stable. 

 

Minji only had one left and she would be done, she felt good. For one she didn't quit and she can show everyone that she can do something. "Hello." she reached the last stable. "B-bones." she read the name.

 

"Bones?" she asked the horse. It was a huge black, angry looking horse who only huffed at her in reply. "Hello Bones I'm here to clean your house so please welcome me in." Minji said opening the gate. "Whoa!" she swung her arm around, "whens the last time they cleaned?" she asked stepping in.

 

Little did Minji know, Bones is the most vicious horse that Mei owns. They named him Bones because not only would he break other horses bones, but people as well. One kick and you can be gone in a flash.

 

"I should go check on Minji." Lay said coming to a stop. "Yeah, I haven't seen her. Shouldn't she be done by now?" Victoria asked getting off the horse. Lay jumped off and took off his helmet, "she should be."

 

"Unless..." Victoria trailed on. "What?" Lay looked at her. "Unless she meet Bones." she said. Lay's eyes widen and he dashed to the stables in lighting speed.

 

"Minji!" he yelled and ran inside. Lay ran to where they isolated Bones and saw his cage open, but no Minji. "Oh no!" he ran up, but Bones attempted to attack him. Telling him to back off. Lay held his hands up and backed away.

 

"I'll go get Mei." Victoria ran off. "B-bones it's me remember?" Lay asked. Bones kicked his legs up and growled at Lay. "Okay okay." Lay backed away slowly. Inside he was freaking out, not only because he was face to face with an uncaged Bones, but because you may be in their unconscious.

 

"Where is she?!" Mei and Qui came running in with Mr. Lee running in the back. "Grandma she's in there." Lay pointed at Bones,"go get her." "No way!" Mei yelled, "I'm not going near that monster." Even though Bones is mean, Mei could never bring herself to sell or get rid of him.

 

"Honey do something." Qui told Mr. Lee. He looked at the massive horse who growled at him, "I-I-I I can't!" he replied. Bones jumped up and warned them to back off. "Okay maybe we can get-"

 

"Calm down Bones." Minji's head popped up and she patted his head. Everyone gasped at her action, but instead of kicking her, Bones lowered his head and enjoyed her patting. "Oh hey guys." Minji smiled and walked out holding a bucket full of poop.

 

"Y-y-you're okay?" Victoria asked. Minji pulled her headphones out, "why are you all here?" she asked confused. Mei smiled, "she can tame the beast." Minji looked at her confused and closed the cage. 

 

"Minji you're okay." Lay approached her. Minji nodded, "I was only cleaning poop, I'm sure I can't die from that...right?" Lay smiled, everyday he found something new about Minji that seemed to never fail to fascinate him.

 

And everyday he was falling more and more...in love with her.

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» special thanks to muzikcake for creating such a cute poster. Hope you enjoyed this rather boring update. It would mean a lot if you clicked here to up vote this story ye? Anyway comment and subscribe ^^