Chapter 44

Oh! Brother

 

A girlfriend? Tao has a girlfriend? What? These questions filled my mind. But the one that confused me the most was how I felt about the situation. Am I jealous? Why would I be jealous? It's not like I even like Tao that way. Maybe it was the fact that he moved on rather quickly. I mean it's been less then five days since I turned him down. Call me crazy, but that was extremely fast for someone who claimed liked me.

 

"Really?! Congrats!" Kai patted Tao on the shoulder. "I'm not exactly his girlfriend." Eunji sat up with a smile. "Huh?" the whole table, including me, tilted our heads to the side. I felt a little relieved. Tao chuckled nervously as he was caught red-handed, "well she's not my girlfriend yet, but I'm taking her to the dance." he nodded.

 

"Ah the dance." Chanyeol grinned and continued to eat. I refused to give any eye contact to Tao. It was awkward after I had turned him down and he doesn't seem to take rejection well since he hasn't spoken or even looked at me. "Oh this will be fun what color dress you wearing?" it didn't take Hani long to make her way to Eunji's side. They both broke into a conversation on how they wish to spend the special day.

 

I sighed feeling regretful, I've waited all year for this dance and because of a stupid and lame reason I'm not going. I felt something poke my side making me jump a bit, "huh? what?" I turned and saw Sehun smiling at me. "You jealous?" he teased. I scoffed, "of what?" I tried to hide the fact that indeed I was jealous. But not of Eunji, of everyone who will spend this Saturday dancing around in beautiful dresses having the time of their life.

 

"Of Tao taking Eunji to the dance." Sehun replied. I quickly shook my head and forced a smile, "no, I'm glad for them they make a cute couple. Don't they?" I tried to change the subject. Sehun nodded, "I agree." It's a relief to know how gullible Sehun can be. "Who are you going with?" I turned to ask him. "What?" he was caught off guard.

 

He smiled and shook his head, "no one special just the guys." he replied. I nodded, "sounds like it'll be fun." "Then why aren't you going?" he questioned. I shrugged and picked at my food, "my dad's very strict." I lied which isn't really a lie considering he would rip any guys head off who dares touch or even look at me. I'm surprised he hasn't killed Lay.

 

"Oh that ." Sehun sighed and turned to sit properly. "Tell me about it." The bell rang and it was time for our next class. We all stood taking our trays and started to head out. "See ya around." Sehun waved with a smile before heading to gym class with Kai and Kyungsoo.

 

"I have to meet someone so I can't walk you to your next class boss." Chanyeol snuck up behind me. I smiled and nodded, "it's okay I'll see you around." He waved with the goofy grin he always had. Hani seemed to have disappeared with Eunji and everyone else went their separate ways. I sighed and walked alone to my next class.

 

"Room 443 will be in the library today." a sticky note was taped on the door. Without thinking I turned directions and headed towards the library. "What's going on?" I asked seeing a classmate sitting on a couch. She shrugged, "substitute teacher didn't show up today so we have study hall this period." she replied. "Ah I see thanks." I smiled and walked to the other side setting my bag down. 

 

The placed filled up with familiar faces who either sat around chatting, on computers doing another class assignment or reading. It didn't take long for me to get bored. I sighed playing with my fingers. The girl in front decided to move onto a computer leaving me alone. I looked around and got up heading to the books. Might as well read something.

 

I went to my favorite section which was romance/fantasy. I always had an interest in things that would never happen in real life. Like mystical creatures falling in love. I took a book from the shelve and saw a familiar head on the other side. I peeked and noticed a pair of head phones handing around their neck.

 

"Lay." I whispered without even wanting to. I quickly covered my mouth when I saw him turn around. I placed the book back which only gave away my hiding spot. "is someone there?" I heard him ask. I tried to sneak away, but met up with him at the end of the alley.

 

"Minji?" he had an algebra book in his hand. "What are you doing here?" he asked. I stood up straight and cleared my throat, "I can ask you the same thing." I responded trying to feel confident for no apparent reason. "I have study hall this period." he replied. I nodded, "well my substitute didn't show up so I have study hall for today." 

 

Lay nodded and walked off. My curiosity took over and I decided to follow behind him. "What you doing?" I asked. He didn't look back, "I already know the lesson so I'm moving ahead." he sat on a rectangular table where he had his things set up. I scoffed and sat across from him, "such a goody good student. I teased and surprisingly he chuckled. "Yeah." he flashed his dimple which caused be to quickly look away before I began to stare.

 

"You missed a pretty big announcement at lunch today." I began a conversation because Lay isn't the type to talk much. "Tao's date? I noticed." he replied not taking his eyes off his book and note book. I was a bit surprised, "how did you know? You were too busy listening to music and dozing off." 

 

He chuckled once again, "I only have headphones on so people can think that I'm not listening. It prevents me from taking to people." My mouth fell open a bit, "t-that's so messed up." Lay smiled and shrugged, "besides all the talk is about the dance which doesn't interest me much." he looked up at me. "Am I wrong?" I gulped and nodded, "r-right." 

 

He looked back down, "I also noticed you seemed disappointed." I stayed quiet and listened to what he had to say. "You're so stubborn you know? We all know you're dying to go to this dance yet you refuse everyone's offer to take you." Lay finally took his eyes off his book to look at me.

 

I avoided eye contact. "Is it so bad to just go with friends?" he asked. I guess he had a point. Who needs a date anyway right? I guess I was just disappointed I wasn't going with the person I wanted to the most, which was Lay. "You're right." I sighed and laid my head against the cold table. "I know I'm right." Lay closed his book and laid his head down as well.

 

"I mean it's my last year and I don't want to regret not going." I ranted. Lay nodded agreeing with me, "so what's holding you back?" I shrugged, "I don't know I guess I don't want to show up without a date especially knowing that Tao will see me and probably laugh at me." I sighed. "That's all?" Lay chuckled, "if that's the case just go with Chanyeol isn't he like your slave or something?" 

 

I laughed softly, "I don't know maybe I'm waiting for someone else to ask me." Lay sat up, "well you're running out of time you better decide before its too late." I also sat up and looked at him, "can you stop being right for once?" Lay smiled and gathered his things, "because of someone I wasn't able to study." I smiled, "oops." I stood up, "I'll think about what you said. Thanks."

 

Lay nodded, "you're welcome." he swung his bag over his shoulder, "see you at home." he whispered as he walked by. I smiled and went to grab my things just as the bell rang for my next class. 

 

 

 

"So you're going?!" Hani's voiced almost blew my ear drum out. I held my phone a few inches away as I walked home. Chanyeol had to stay after school for torturing since his last test results didn't seem to please his mother. "Can you be a little louder? I don't think they heard you in Mexico." I joked.

 

"Sorry, so you're really going?! This will be fun!" Hani shrieked in excitement. I'm thankful I decided to tell her over the phone and not in person. God knows how she would react in public to the news. "Yeah someone persuade me into going." I smiled as I unlocked the door and stepped inside. 

 

"Ah this is perfect you're not going to regret this Minji it's going to be amazing trust me!" Hani said. I nodded and set my things down, "I hope so even though I might not have a dress." I threw myself on the couch as I turned the t.v on. "You still don't have a dress?!" Hani gasped, "why?" 

 

I shrugged, "it's too late I'm sure they don't have anything in the stores now not to mention I'm short on money." "Aw what will you wear?" Hani asked. "I don't know I haven't thought this far." I laughed and sat up seeing as Lay walked to his room. "Hey I'll text you later okay." I said before I hung up and turned off the t.v. 

 

I quickly got up and made my way to his room, I took a deep breath before knocking on his door. "Yeah?" I heard him answer. "I-it's me, Minji." I replied biting my lower lip. The door opened, "I know dummy I'm asking what do you want?" he said going down stairs. I slowly stepped in. 

 

It felt weird, I haven't entered his room in days. "I just want to thank you for persuading me into going to the dance." I said as I reached the bottom step. His room was a bit tidy, there was a few clothing thrown here and there, but what can you expect from a guy.

 

Lay took off his sweater and set in on the bed, "no need to thank me I know you would end up going anyway." he smiled. I puffed my cheeks, "so confident. Anyway that's all I really wanted to say so bye-" "Wait!" Lay stopped me from turning to head back out. "Yeah?" I blinked in confusion. "Do you have a dress?" he asked. His question surprised me. Why would he care?

 

"N-no I don't." I looked down feeling the stress of not having anything to wear, "I don't have enough money to buy a new dress." I said softly. Lay smiled and took a hold of my wrist, "come on I'll pay for you." What?!" I looked at him surprised, "y-you're going to take me dress shopping?" 

 

Lay took the lead dragging me out of his room and towards the door. He stopped and turned to me, "yeah and don't complain consider this your early birthday gift." he smiled. I couldn't help but smile, why does he have to be so perfect? He placed my coat around my shoulders and grabbed my shoes. "Hurry before your dad comes home." 

 

He took my hand as I finished putting my shoes on and headed out. My heart was racing the entire time, never once did he let my hand go. A warm feeling filled up inside me as he would grip my hand tighter when we would walk through crowds. We laughed and joked as we went to each store searching for the right dress. I was surprised that he never once complained on how long I was taking.

 

Most guys would dread and avoid this opportunity having to take a girl dress shopping. But not Lay. As always he was different which made me fall for him even more. It wasn't till the 5th store that we entered that I spotted the right dress. Sure it wasn't the right color or style I imagined to wear, but I'm lucky to even be dress shopping right now.

 

"Red?" Lay raised a brow as I showed him. "Isn't it pretty?" I took a second close look at the dress. "It's beautiful, but weren't you the saying pastel colors was the right thing to wear?" he questioned. I smiled and shook my head, "sometimes we have to break our own rules." I replied, "I'm going to try it on." I headed towards the fitting rooms. "Okay I'll be out here waiting." I heard Lay as I stepped inside. 

 

I grinned like an idiot, "like always." I said softly as I undressed myself and began to change into the dress. It was long and made my curves stand out, even though they weren't much, and the sequence made it even more beautiful. It was perfect and even better than what I imagined. 

 

"I'm ready." I said as I looked at myself one last time. "Okay come out." Lay's words echoed through the fitting rooms. I took a deep breath before stepping out, "please like it." I whispered and I stepped out. I could hear my heart beat as I met Lay's eyes which were scanning my body. "I-is it nice?" I asked as he remained speechless. 

 

Lay didn't say a word, but nodded. "You hate it." I sighed knowing he would. "Okay let me go change-" "Hold on." Lay stopped me, "turn around." he ordered. "Huh?" I gave him a weird look. He chuckled, "I said turn around, let me see the back." "Oh!" I quickly turned feeling my cheeks turn red. "How is it?" I asked.

 

I turned back to met Lay's wondering eyes, "Lay?" He blinked, "huh? o-oh it's beautiful." he smiled. "Really?!" I jumped finally finding the right dress. He nodded, "it suits you very well." I grinned, "you sure? It's not too tacky?" I looked down at the dress. "No it's perfect trust me." 

 

I felt a weight lift off my shoulders. "Finally! We've found my dress." I cheered and surprisingly Lay gave me a sudden hug. My face got hot by the sudden act. "Yes! Finally I can go home and rest." he added. I laughed and hugged back, "of course that would be your only reason of happiness." Lay pulled away and ruffled my hair, "and because you found an amazing dress at last minute."

 

I nodded, "nice save now let me change." "Okay I'll wait by the check out." he walked off. "Okay." I waved and quickly went to change. My smile never left my face, I stared at the dress which was hung on it's hanger. "If only Lay was going." I sighed before stepping out and went to meet up with him.

 

 

 

The day had arrived. The dance was tonight and I was actually excited and couldn't wait for the time to turn 7 where Kyungsoo will pick both Hani and me up, we'll all head to the dance and meet with the other guys as planned. It took a lot of begging and pouting to get my father to agree to let me go. Thank goodness Qui was on my side and convinced to let me go as long as I came back before midnight. Which was fine considering the dance will end at 11 pm.

 

I was over at Hani's the whole day as we prepared. Who knew it took almost a whole day to get ready. From doing facial mask to going to get our hair/make-up done. "So you're not upset that Lay really isn't going?" Hani asked as the hair dresser styled our hair. I shrugged, "I mean I'm a little sad, but that won't ruin my night."

 

Hani smiled, "that's good and don't worry I'll dance with you since Kyungsoo doesn't really like dancing." I laughed, "even the slow dances." "Well except for those of course." Hani flipped through the magazine she was reading. "Have you talked to Eunji?" I asked. I couldn't hold it in anymore the curiosity was eating at me.

 

"Yeah she just told me her dress was a light blue and Tao was going to rent a limo." Hani shrugged, "nothing really since we're not that close yet." I nodded and puffed my cheeks, "he's renting a limo?" Okay I had to admit I was a little jealous. Hani looked at me through the mirror, "Kyungsoo can drive!" she quickly defended her boyfriend. I smiled, "I didn't say he couldn't." She scoffed, "his mom's car is really cozy. Who needs a limo." she mumbled the last part. I chuckled and shook my head, "lets just hope Kyungsoo fills the tank with gas." "Yah!"

 

The time struck 6:45 pm. I took a deep breath as I stared at myself in the mirror. My tinted lips and curly up-do made me look more mature. Hani snuck up behind with her rosy pink, short, dress. "We look amazing." I smiled, "your dress is amazing." "Yours is too!" Hani re-applied her lipstick for the hundredth time. 

 

I turned around, my insides were going crazy and I felt a little light headed. "What if something goes wrong?" I suddenly grew nervous. "Don't say that." Hani frowned, "what's the worse that can happen? They run out of food." Hani laughed. "That's horrible!" I complained. 

 

Hani shook her head, "you're worrying too much just remember to have fun. This type of things happen only once in a life time." I nodded, "you're right what am I thinking." I forced a smile. When in honesty I felt like puking. I wasn't sure why I was so nervous all of a sudden. 

 

A text arrived and it was Qui. 

Qui [6:50] - Please take lots of pictures for me to see! Have fun and take care of yourself. Don't dance with any boys and make sure to put on perfume. I'll try and keep your father calm while you're gone. Love you and be safe!

 

I smiled and decided not to reply just yet. "Kyungsoo just texted he's outside already." Hani informed me. My eyes widen, "already?! I'm not ready!" I panicked and took Hani's perfume and showered myself in it. Hani coughed and fanned it away, "hey that's expensive." "Sorry." I paced around, "what if I stink and no one wants to talk to me or-" Hani cut me off and grabbed my wrist, "you're over thinking things nothing bad is going to happen. Take deep breaths."

 

I did as she told me. "Now we're going to go and have the time of our lives." she smiled and fixed my hair. "Ready?" I slowly nodded as my heart rate slowed back to it's normal pace, "I'm ready." 

 

 

 

"Wow look at my boss!" Chanyeol greeted us along with the guys. I blushed and hit his shoulder lightly, "don't call me that." "I didn't even recognized you." Xiumin added. I smiled and bowed my head, "thank you." "We saved a table." Kai lead us towards the middle.

 

The place was completely transformed into a winter wonderland. I had to give my props to the dance committee they must have spent ages decorating the gym. Huge snowflake shaped chandeliers hung from the ceiling, the tables were lit up with blue center pieces, and the dance floor was filled with fake snow and flickering lights that gave off the allusion of stars. It was truly magical.

 

"Wow this place is amazing." I said as I sat down. Hani quickly sat beside me as she promised to stay by my side. "I know we should take pictures." she said and she took out her phone. I did the same. "I can't belive Tao rented a limo and didn't even offer us a ride." Sehun scoffed. "Maybe because we'll trash it and he'll have to pay for the damages." Suho chuckled.

 

I giggled and looked around, speaking of Tao he was no where in sight. The night was still young and not everyone arrived yet. "You look amazing." I heard a voice behind me. I quickly turned and saw Kris take the seat next to me, "oh you're here." I said surprised. Kris smiled, "Luhan and I decided to crash." he put his finger on his lips, "don't tell." I smiled, "of course not hope you have fun." 

 

Kris leaned in closer, "where's Lay?" I froze, Kris was the only person besides Hani, who knew about my feelings toward him. "He decided not to come." "What?" Kris scoffed and sat back crossing his arms, "what a loser." I sighed, "tell me about it." "Oh! I love this song!" Hani grabbed my wrist, "Minji let's go dance." she pulled me up and dragged me to the dance floor. "O-okay bye Kris." I waved as I was pulled away. He chuckled and waved back.

 

 

 

The night was passing by and the dance floor got more and more crowded as people kept showing up. I laughed as I saw the guys dancing. Especially Chen and Chanyeol who claimed to be the dancing kings of the night and practically had a face off with everyone. I had spotted Tao with Eunji, but paid no attention. I was honestly having the time of my life. For once I had no worries about anyone. Including Lay.

 

I sat down out of breath and my feet aching. "Come on one more song!" Baekhyun pulled my arm. "No no I'm good." I huffed trying to catch my breath. "Find suit yourself." he ran off to the dance floor. I sat back fanning myself and taking a sip of water. I checked the time, it was already 10 and time seemed to be going by too fast. I still wanted the night to continue but all good things must come to an end.

 

I also noticed my phone had a new message from Lay. "Oh?" I raised a brow and opened it. 

 

Lay [10:20] - Quickly come back something came up! HURRY!

 

My heart began to race and I stood up, "oh no!" The thought of my dad quickly ran through my head. What if something bad happened?! I grabbed my things and felt something tap my shoulder. I turned and found Tao, "you're leaving?" he asked. I nodded, "yeah something came up I have to go. Tell Hani I left and thanks for everything." I grabbed my coat and made my way towards the exit.

 

"Wait!" Tao grabbed my arm, "I wanted to dance with you at least one song." he pouted and I almost felt bad for him. I bit my lip, "I'm really sorry, but I really have to go. Maybe next time." I slipped out of his grip and ran out into the freezing night.

 

I didn't think and just ran to the direction of my house, please don't let anything bad happen! I panted and my breath was visible through the cold night air. I turned the corner and ran straight into something hard making me fall back. "Ow!" I cried in pain and rubbed my side. I saw a hand being offered to me. Without looking and took it, "sorry about that." I stood up and ran off, except the hand held onto me not wanting to let go.

 

"I said sorry!" I looked up and saw a familiar face. It was Lay. "Lay!" My eyes widen, "w-what happened?!" I panicked and shook him. A smile appeared across his face, "nothing I just wanted to see you." I gasped and my mouth fell open. "You idiot I thought something bad happened!" I punched his chest hard.

 

"Ouch! What was that for?" "For making me worry! Aish you made me panic I thought something bad happened to my dad." I tried to catch my breath. Apparently I ran for my life for no reason. I took a second look and noticed Lay was wearing his white tux. "Oh?" I blinked a couple of times making sure I wasn't just seeing things. "Y-you're-" "Come on I want to show you something." Lay cut me off and took my hand.

 

"Where are you taking me?" I asked as he lead me down an alley way. "You'll see." he replied. My heart began to race. Why is he wearing his suit? And where the heck are we going? I shivered as a cold breeze hit my face. "You look beautiful." he spoke. "Really?" I blushed, "thank you so do you-I mean you look handsome n-not beautiful." I mentally slapped myself for my poor choice of words.

 

Lay chuckled, "it's okay we're almost there." "Where are you taking me?" I asked once again, but this time Lay refused to say a word. I began to worry, what if he's a mystical creature like in the novels I read. And he turns into some sort of wolf and eats me. Okay my imagination was going too far.

 

After all the walking we ended up in a isolated skating rink with a few Christmas trees set up around them. Lay let my hand go and I looked around confused. "Where are we?" "They close this down after 9 so if we get caught we make a run for it." Lay replied. My eyes widen, "what?!" He smiled and removed his coat to place it over my shoulders, "you must be freezing in that dress." I blushed again and nodded, "o-oh." I blinked still confused, "why are we here?" 

 

Just then Lay placed his hand on my waist, I froze as well as my heart beat. His other hand reached for mine, keeping his eyes on me he placed both my hands on his shoulders and placed his on my waist. I just stared trying to process how close Lay was holding me. "Let me have the last dance." he said softly and began to sway me back and forth.

 

I was completely lost. Was I dreaming? There's no way this is reality. Why on earth would Lay offer me a dance especially late at night in the freezing cold. But somehow it all felt so real. My head automatically rested on his broad chest as we got into rhythm even though no music was playing. 

 

I could feel his slow deep breaths against my ear, his soft hair brushing against my fingers, the scent of his cologne. It was all too real for me. I suddenly felt being lifted off the cold ground and onto a pair of supporting feet. "Did you have fun?" Lay's soft words brought me back to earth as I felt I was in my own perfect world in Lay's arms.

 

I nodded, "yeah it was fun." "I'm glad." I could feel Lay's warm smile even though I couldn't see it. "You should have went I know you would have had fun as well." I said. I felt Lay nod, "mhm." I sighed and looked up at him, "why are you doing this?" Lay stared back at me for a while, he leaned down meeting my eyes. I felt my heart come to a complete stop. As well as the wind around me. For a moment time stopped itself.

 

"Technically you're not my sister yet so I can do this." he replied. I stared back at him, my lips slowly parting as I asked my next question. "Do what?" Just then Lay leaned more in, I could feel his breath hit against my face, hips soft lips brush against mine as he spoke. "This." just then Lay planted a sweet peck on my lips.

 

I felt my legs go weak as our lips touched. I felt the butterflies inside my stomach go wild as our lips stayed connected for a few more seconds. Just then he pulled away and continued to sway me around. I was in complete shock and I couldn't process what had just happened.

 

The only natural thing I could do was rest my head back on his chest as we continued to dance until my feet gave in and Lay carried me back home. And we both called it a night. 

 

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» I know it's been foreverrrrrrr since I last updated OTL please don't kill me x( I keep making promises that I'll update sooner yet fail to make them happen ;n; Please forgive me. No worries this story will have an ending and I hope you stay till the end to see what happens c8 I love you all Happy Holidays and happy reading ^^