78 || Letting Go

Backstage Princess

“L-ssi, let’s break up.”

She said it, formally. She never drops formalities before, but her tone used to be friendly. Today, it was cold, as if she’s talking to a complete stranger. Her statement wasn’t the thing that shocked him the most, but it was her tone. She talked coldly, without any feeling, with a monotone, and once more by calling him L. He hated it; he truly hated to be called L by her. He knows she’s distaning herself from him.

He was stunned, when she suddenly turns around and faced him. He hasn’t been able to digest it well, her words. He has too many things to think about. He spaced out, confused on what to say. He thought he mistaken her words, misheard it, or maybe he is imagining unreal stuff. No, she can’t be asking for break-up, right?

“Let’s just break up, L-ssi,” she repeated after receiving no replied from him.

He didn’t hear it wrong at all, but rather chooses to not believe in it. He didn’t want to believe that she’s the one who’s asking for break up. As if he could let go off her, as if he could let her off easily, damn it! If its months or years ago, breaking up with her won’t mean a thing, but now, when the feelings have come to realization, it’s suffocating. It’s hard.

“Jieun-ah,”

She turned, finally facing him. She had that sad smile curving on her face; she had those teary eyes on her orbs. Why? Why is she asking for break up with that expression on her face? She should be smiling widely, with bright face, asking for break up. Once they broken up, she will be free. She won’t have to cook for him, she won’t have to bear with him, and she won’t have to stick to his stupid rules and games. The game will end, and that’s all. One will lose and one will win.

“L-ssi, I want to break up.”

“Why?”

“Isn’t it clear enough to you? We’re playing a game, L-ssi. A game will end, sooner or later and you should have expected this to come.”

“So, it’s that guy, isn’t it? You fell for that Jang Wooyoung.”

“No.”

“Or have you changed your mind? Did you fall for Woohyun?”

“No.”

“Then why? If you don’t love any of them, than I will be your best choice. I guess, that Jang Wooyoung must be fabuolous.”

“He’s not the reason why I ask for break up.”

“But you do love him, don’t you?”

“No.”

“How? I mean, you’re very happy being together with him. You’re not even being shy on stage, since you know you’re performing with him. You went on dates, you visits shows and performances, and you did everything together with him. And you’re telling me you don’t love him?”

“I like him.”

“What’s the difference?”

“I like him, I like him a lot, and I love him a lot, in a whole different context.”

“Doesn’t he spark your heart?”

“L-ssi, let’s just end this game and break up.”

“Without a reason?”

“We are not real to begin with. You have hurt me enough, so please just end this.”

“It’s my game, Jieun-ah. You can’t do anything about it.”

“A player can decide when it wanted to resign from the game.”

“But a stronger player rules over the weak.”

“So you do think I’m useless.”

“That’s not the point, Jieun-ah. I don’t want to break up.”

“I do- don’t love you, L-ssi.”

“Stop calling me L, call me Myungsoo.”

“During this whole time, I am sorry for calling you Myungsoo. I never know that you hated to be called by your real name. I’m sorry I never called you L, I’m sorry that I hurt you a lot. I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I have been ignorant, I’m sorry I never care about you. I’m sorry I keep telling you we’re fake, but I… I can’t say the opposite, because between you and me, I feel nothing.”

She confessed and Myungsoo was stunned. He keeps his mouth sealed, listening to her words. He wanted to reach her hand, and grip it hard. He wanted her to stop, he wanted to kiss her lips and shutted all the nonsense in one blow. But he can’t. He just stood there, staring at her, who was about to bursts crying.

“This is your game, I acknowledge that. I don’t have any rights to interfere, but I can’t stand it anymore. If you will hurt my sister again because I have decided to resign from the game, then I will have no choice but to let it happen. I will try my best to protect her, I won’t beg for others to help me. I will stand on my own trying my best.”

“If you’re seeking for revenge, I won’t stop you. I realize I have been selling myself to you, to protect my sister. I realizes it was wrong, to play this game. That’s why I decided to stop. Thank you for protecting my sister all this time, you can stop now.”

“The game, I’m ending it, L-ssi. In the end, all I wanted for is hopeless. I was desperate to win, to beat you. But, now, I’m the one losing. As the game winner, I do know you wanted to win so badly, to protect that pride of yours. And I will let you took over the championship. You’re the winner, L, and I’m the loser.”

“Jieun-ah, please.”

“I do know the reason behind all this game. It’s a revenge for your sister death, isn’t it? You never told me I’m the reason for you sister death, but Woohyun told me. Because of me, your sister died. I can understand your reason for doing this game, I can understand the reason behind your revenge, I can understand it all. I can’t say anything but sorry, sorry for hurting you sister. I think I deserve this, being hurt, because I have hurt someone else. I’m sorry.”

“It’s all ends now.”

She turns her back against the man, ready to walk away. Her lip was trembling, after all the talking she had done. It’s the first time she ever talked that much. It was hard for her, the break up, despite the fact that she’s the one to ask for it. It’s hard that she had tears in her eyes. She could feel the aching inside her, her heart.

“Jieun-ah, I love you. I truly love you.”

He suddenly grabs her arms, pulling her to his embrace. He hugs her tight, embracing her. He hugs her, giving her the last back hug he would ever give. He was afraid to let go, he keeps whispering the feeling inside his heart to her. But it was too much for her to believe, his confession of love. He has created too much doubt, he has lied too much, he has hurt her too much.

“L-ssi please let me go.”

“If I let go, you will disappear.”

“L-ssi, don’t ever say I love you if you don’t know the feeling hidden behind. Don’t ever say you love me if you never meant it. If you have too much pride to say you’re dump by me, then you could say you’re the one dumping me. You could chase after popularity after this, L-ssi. I do know the second goal of this game is to gain popularity. Our popularity has started to decrease, if we break up then, you will gain much more popularity. Suzy is waiting for you, breaking up with me and dating her in one day will definitely gain you much popularity. We have ended, L-ssi.”

She shoves his hand off her, struggling free and walked away. The game has finally ended, they’re bonded to nothing. The game that used to be their reason to keep each other around has turned to chaos. It has turned to nothing but to burn to ashes. The meaning behind it has ended. Her figure slowly disappears from his sight, leaving him in despair.

“The reason behind the game has changed, without you knowing it.” He murmurs, before desperately ruffling his hair.

He shouldn’t have let go, he should have pulled her closer. This time, he regretted most of his time with her. He hasn’t chaged to a good guy, he has been hurting her, he has been letting go of her. This time, she won’t be coming back. Starting from tomorrow, they’re complete stranger, sharing the same past that has been forgotten.

His eyes won’t be meeting hers anymore. Hearts won’t be worrying about each other. He won’t taste anymore of her cooking. It has ended. There won’t be anymore dates, casual talks, and those immature-childish fights of the two. Yeah, Myungsoo, you have done a good job. This is the game you have plan all your life, ended in a blink of an eye, with you getting hurt.

“You’re the one who win, Jieun. I’m the one who lose.” He sighed.


Jieun went home with traces of tears in her eyes. Pil Suk was surprised to see her sister, her eyes was teary although it wasn’t that red. Pil Suk knows she hasn’t been crying but has been trying hard to surpress it all. Pil Suk could only stand frozen in front of the door, welcoming her sister.

Jieun has a sad smile curving her lip. She greeted her sister, her voice sounded weak and tired. Today must be tough for her, Pil Suk thought. Pil Suk replied her sister greetings with a bow, she wonders what have happen. Her sister has never been this way before, her face always brighten up when it comes to Pil Suk, no matter how tough things has turned for her.

She didn’t cook that evening; she ordered some food and went straight to bed. Pil Suk was left to eat alone, feeling the loneliness that gathered inside the house on a dark autumn night. Jieun didn’t touch the food; she locked herself up inside her room. She didn’t talk, she avoids conversation.

Pil Suk was thinking hard, when she heard a clicking sound coming from Jieun’s room. She locked the door, preventing anyone to disturb her. Pil Suk went to check her phone, in case someone tells her what have happen. Jiyeon usually did that, to inform Pil Suk if anything big has happen. But that day, no text messages come.

She rubbed the back of her head, hitting it hard, to make it works better. She spaced out for a moment, thinking about the possibilities. What in the world have happen that her sister turned very upset? Jieun loses her smile, her appetite, and even her mood has gone up and down. Is she… on period? Ah, Kim Pil Suk, idiot!

Then it comes to her, Kim Myungsoo figure. He’s the only one who’s capable enough to make Jieun that much upset. He must be the reason, that one superbly cool and arrogant young man, that has droven Jieun crazy until she loses her mind. Pil Suk needs to talk to him, seeing her sister being upset like this has caused her to be sad too.

The question is… whose fault is this?

 

A/N

I know! I know! You wanted more MyungU moments, I do wanted too! But please wait for a bit longer, I'm on the process of making it right now. Now, starts marking your calendar because by Friday, you will have to forget about WoohyunXIU and WooyoungXIU moments and start fangirling for MyungU! Now, enjoy! Subbies, stop pressing the unsubscribe button! I'm very sad, losing my subbies. Anyway, double update for today!