67

Backstage Princess

Two days rest and intense rehabitilation has brought Jieun back to her fit stamina. She hasn’t gained that much health, but managed to regain half of her usual energy back. Pil Suk was fine, although three days stay in hospital was very uncomfortable for the two. They have been resting for over 5 days, and they missed school already.

It was morning, when Pil Suk suddenly decided to meet Myungsoo again while Jieun has some other business to do, which is talking to Nam Woohyun. Jieun needs to clear up somethings with Woohyun, including asking him about their past. As what Myungsoo has stated, the two might have different perspective of stories. Therefore, Jieun didn’t want to jump to conclusion before clearing it up with Woohyun.

Rooftop- as much as Pil Suk hates it, it is the safest place to talk to Myungsoo. There, her sister won’t find out and if they are involved in a fight, they won’t be expelled since no body will ever know. Jieun was somewhere else, when Pil Suk was searching the hallways simply to seek for Myungsoo.

“Oppa, let’s talk.” Pil Suk gasped for air, before talking in a serious tone, dragging Myungsoo out of the room.

“What is it? I have had enough of your nonsense.” He may sound rudes but her game has caused him headache just by knowing it.

“Something important.”


Jieun sat next to Woohyun, who seems to be enjoying end-of-summer breeze very much. His hair was flowing together with the breeze, giving him a cool look. He seems peaceful and rather tired. His coming up games and also the fact that she was missing a few days ago must have worn him out.

“Woohyun, good morning.” It was a simple greeting to start a conversation.

“You are back. How have you been?”

“Fine, I feel so much better thanks to you.” Jieun smiled, leaning closer against the boy.

“You want to talk about something? I guess, you have heard it from that boy.” Woohyun whispers, before leaning his head against hers.

“I… have. But I want you to tell me again.”

“What for? You must hate me by now, for doing that.”

“I don’t believe him, Woohyun. I trusted you; you will never do something like that.”

“Why? I was rebellious and naughty.”

“It’s simple, Woohyun. I believe in you. You will never do something like that.”

“Then, just stay Jieun. Don’t run when you are afraid. Please believes in me and listen to me. Please, don’t run away.”

“I won’t.”

From his words, Jieun know something might happen or he was feeling very guilty about it. However, Jieun has put her trust upon him, something she rarely does. Therefore, she won’t run.


To Woohyun, it was silly how a boy could look up to him so very much. He was a rebel, something people should avoid not approach. He was a naughty boy, who could grow up as a dangerous gangster, something that should be terminated. He was the one people should avoid, people should feel disgusted at. He was supposed to be fear, to be mocked around. Yet that boy… was different.

Myungsoo, instead of hating him, he was looking up to the rebellious boy very much. It was silly to Woohyun but also new to him. He felt good and relieves that there are still people who believes in him. Being a rebellious boy, he played around with the calm boy a lot, even teasing him and bullying him. It was his friendship love for him, by teasing him a lot.

It didn’t take long, before the two get close. Woohyun notices how Myungsoo’s sister slowly fall for him. Well, he used to be very popular. Girls love bad boys and an additional of his athletic body and also charming charisma has brought perfection to him. He gets a lot of confession with no name written on the loves letter.

It was summer, when a new girl comes. He fell in love with the girl. Exactly as what Myungsoo has said before, the girl was charming and simply beautiful. Nothing in the world could compare to her beauty, maybe that was a little bit too much, but for the boy, she was that perfect. He was cheesy to begin with; therefore falling in love will caused his fluffy side to rose.

The girl who was adores by people, by many people. That day, Nam Woohyun started to have many rivals, in order to capture the girl hearts. However, although he managed to get closer to her, he wasn’t able to win her heart. It was when… he was completely blinded by love when Luna confessed to him.

“Has he told you, Jieun? I fell in love when I was 10, my first love.”

“Yeah, he told me.”

“Did he tell you who she is?”

“No.”

“Then I will tell you at the end.”

He rejected her, because he won’t be able to love her. Luna was pretty and unique, with her own charms. However, Woohyun’s heart was already captured by another girl. How could he accept her then? He doesn’t think himself as someone who would fit someone as innocent as Luna either, Luna was a good girl while he was a rebel. Bad choice, it will be a bad choice to be dating each other.

He knows how hard rejection is, yet it is for the best. He rejected her politely and carefully, scared that he would hurt her heart. Yet, it doesn’t work either. After the rejection, he found out that she was bullied and mocked for such a failure attempt. He tried to protect her but in the end of the day, he could only fail.

“I… She was my best buddy sister, how could I hurt her? I explained to her, how she will be too much for me, that she deserves someone better.”

“And… since that day, you two fight?” Jieun asked, knowing Woohyun was hurt just by recalling the memories.

“How can we not? I was… the reason for her death.”

“I don’t think it was your fault.”

“Then who is it?”

“The cowardness of the heart.”

“You don’t have to comfort me, you know? I could take care of myself.”

“I’m not comforting you. You didn’t make any mistakes at all.”

“Jieun-ah, thank you.”

“And… who’s the girl you are talking about?”

Lee Ji Eun, I love you.”


“What is it, Pil Suk? It’s nice to see you being happy and healthy, but please I’m sick of your games.” Myungsoo was agitated at the thought that this sweet girl is also playing a game.

“You won, L.” She stated firmly, without glancing at the older boy.

“What do you mean?”

“I decided to stop the game.” Pil Suk smiles at the thought, satisfied with what she had achieved.

“Why is that?”

“Nothing, just take a good care of my sister.” She winks, before heading to the door.

“Wha- What do you mean?”

“You love her, don’t you? I don’t want her to get hurt, so please take a good care of her.”

Do I?”


Jieun left Woohyun confession unanswered, since he asked her to do so. He has thought about it before, that the sudden confession could break their friendship. That is why he has decided to say it out loud but to left in unanswered. He would asked for answer someday, when she is ready. But not today, since he knows Jieun wasn’t ready.

She was heading to Myungsoo, well to thank him and also to clear up somethings too. She wasn’t the time to intrude people personal life, but this time, she needs to clear up some misunderstanding. She has scolded Woohyun for being mean to Myungsoo and for beating him up. But Myungsoo too has to learn how to respect Woohyun.

To her surprise, the crowd was unbelievable and thanks to that her presence was undetectable. The crowd was too addicted to something that was sticked on the school’s board. New gossips maybe, since Jiyeon must have posted some hot topics for this week. Well, she’s in the gossips column for the School’s Journal.

“Woah, unbelievable. He was cheating!” A girl exclaimed, pointing at the board.

“What if she saw this? She will get hurt! We should have terminated him sooner.” This time, it was a boy.

“Will they break up?”

“Don’t talk nonsense, she hasn’t even attending school.”

“The Backstage Princess, who’s her name? I don’t think she will cling to him anylonger after seeing this.”

Jieun was startled how her title was brought up upon the new gossips. Jiyeon would never do something that would hurt her or something that could be connected to her be a gossip. Although she is the gossips queen, she is the best at keeping secrets. Therefore, Jieun trusted her. But this time, the sudden news almost make her choked on her own breath.

“Excuse me.” Jieun whispers faintly, sneaking together with the crowds, to see the pictures or whatever it is.

And there she goes, unable to believe what she had just seen. Maybe, she is imagining things or maybe she has to start accepting reality. It was hard to believe that she needs to blink her eyes couple of times before rubbing it harshly- simply to change reality. How could this happen? How could he betray her?

It’s clear now; he was lying the whole time. Maybe, he actually plans the kidnapping, not Suzy. Because here she is, trying to bear the pain all alone. She saw it, the pictures. Kim Myungsoo kissing Bae Suzy, the date was obvious. Five days ago, the day he found her.

“Jieun-ah,”

Why would he call her name again? After all that he had done, how could he call her that way? He no longer has the right to do so. Jieun needs to squeeze her chest, for her not to cry.

She turned around, only to find the crowd gathers around her, facing her with pity in their eyes. And not too far away from the place she is standing, Myungsoo was there, calling her name.

“Jieun-ah, I can explain.”

“There’s no need. I understand.”


“Lee Ji Eun, you better stop and listen to me now!” Myungsoo has been following Jieun around, after the incident that happens earlier today.

She didn’t stop, she has been running away from him. She was avoiding him, shooing him away yet he can’t just left her this way. Explaination, he wants to give her one of those. Was she hurting? Because he couldn’t even look at her in the eye, he felt very guilty.

“Jieun, just let me explain!” He grabbed her hand and forces her to turn around.

Sigh, she just let a sigh escape her pink lips. She looks at him in the eye, only to find his guilty pleasure. She didn’t look sad at all, but rather disappointed. She wasn’t upset about the kiss, was she? She was too good and hiding feelings yet it has caused a lot of misunderstandings.

“Is there anything to explain?” Her tone was friendly, too friendly that it seems scary. She was too calm, as if she was ready to explode in anger anytime.

“Just listen to me, would you?”

“I know, Myungsoo. I know, you don’t have to explain anything. I understand.”

“Then tell me, what do you know?”

“You two kiss.” She said nonchalantly without the slightest pain or feeling.

“Jieun, we are just…”

“We are just a game, Myungsoo. There’s nothing to explain.”

“Jieun! Stop! You always brought up the game again and again! I am sick of it! Just listen, would you?!” He suddenly yelled at her, only to regret it in the end.

“Wasn’t it your game, Myungsoo? I was just one of the players. Let me go, please.”

He let go, knowing that he would never be able to get her back. He let go, knowing he will lose. He let go, knowing she would never come back for him. He let go, knowing the feelings will soon be impossible to grasp. He let go, letting their distance cracked again, reaping the apart.

He let go.


Jieun was sad, upset. She can’t figure it out exactly why, but the fact that Myungsoo kissed another girl has brought her enough pain and disappointment. She was disappointed, and was left speechless. She wants to brag so badly, to scold him so badly, yet she wasn’t the type to pour it all out. She prefers to hold it in.

She keeps on squeezing her chest, without knowing the reason why it aches so much. She feels lonely. And when does lonely feels so bad? Idiot. She should have scolded him earlier, and make him explain it all to her. But she was scared, scared that he might want to end the game.

She doesn’t even know why she mentions the game, why her tone suddenly turned very dangerously calm and nice. She should have been able to expect this earlier. This is just a game, a game for popularity. Of course, Myungsoo will soon break up from her and jumps to Suzy. It will definitely help him to regain the popularity back. Let’s just see, because of the news he will be extremely popular by tomorrow.

Kim Myungsoo, why don’t we end it now?

But he said no. When she asked him, why don’t they just break up and end the game, he said no. He said he wants her to stay, he said he wants to be by her side a little longer. He even said to her that the game has meant nothing, that this is real. But Jieun has had enough; she doesn’t want to believe in him any longer.