61

Backstage Princess

“Unnie, I want to confess.”

Her statement almost made Jieun choked on her own food, barely capable of swalling those delicious cookings of her. It was out of the blue- Pil Suk statement is. They have just made up a few days ago, after a long hardworking explanation from Jieun. Pil Suk was able to slighty understand the situation and Jieun felt guilty for hiding so many things from her.

“To who exactly, Pil Suk? I thought you…”

“Of course to L oppa, unnie. I like him, I truly like him. I want him to know it.”

It was a long silence, Jieun was scared. They might get in trouble, because she’s dating Myungsoo. And her sister has put a liking upon Myungsoo. How could the game be this much of a mess up? How does Myungsoo exactly plan it? She thought he had planned it throughoutly, that nothing of this mess would happen. Kim Myungsoo, you will have to take responsibility of this mess.

Jieun know, Pil Suk would suffer from Myungsoo if he ever rejects her. Although he has the right to do so, to rejects her if he has feelings from someone else. Jieun never really blame boys who rejects girl rather she would blame those who accept by pity. Rejections are better than pitied and better than being played around. But who knows? Myungsoo has been playing around with her, something she didn’t like.

However, if he ever accepted her, there would be much more trouble. If Pil Suk and Myungsoo are dating, what would Jieun turn into? Would the two turn into stranger? With no greetings in the morning, no relationships at all? Will that happens? The thought of it has made her hearts sting, it was something that has never happen before, yet today it happens. She doesn’t know why, but the thought of her sister dating that man has caused her heart to ache. Why? She must be a very bad sister for feeling that way.

It was only one of another biggest trouble that might occur. Pil Suk might get bullied again. Jieun has started to acknowledge her position; dating the school most popular and handsome man wasn’t easy at all. Instead, it was quite bumpy. She would have to bear with all the hates she received from those envious fangirls. She would have to bear with those days when people looked down on her, simply bullying her. She would have to bear with those people who badly want them to break up. She would have to bear them all- the pain and the uncertainty. Knowing how Myungsoo really is, he won’t tell you he loves you no matter how much he truly loves you.

“Are you sure, Pil Suk? Your first love wasn’t a very good story.” It took her a great courage to be able to say it outloud. It is a past that should be forgotten, yet a lesson to be remember.

“I know unnie. But today, I am sure. Althogh he might reject me, although I might get hurt, I just want to make sure he knows.” Pil Suk smiled.

She even made chocolates for him. Jieun looked at the pinky nice bag Pil Suk has prepared, filled with heart-shapes chocolates only for him. She must have worked very hard. Jieun know that she has built such a hates toward kitchen and cookings ever since the age of 10. She truly hates cooking, an opposite of Jieun who is talented in cookings. Pil Suk might have even built a trauma to kitchen, since the last time she cooks, the whole mansion got indigestion for three days, including Jieun.

Looking at how hard she has been working, Jieun could only smile bitterly. She will get hurt was the thought that keeps on spinning inside her head. It terrifies her yet having her sister getting accepted by that man wasn’t a good choice either. She thoughts she dates Myungsoo for her sister’s safety yet things has turn into such a mess that she might instead hurt her rather than protecting her.

“Pil Suk-ah, fighting!” Jieun smiled faintly, punching her fist toward the air.

“Fighting! I will go first, unnie. See you in the afternoon!” Pil Suk ran, rushing toward the door and excitingly set off for school.


Myungsoo was waiting for Jieun at the front gate, until he receives a text from her. She asked him not to wait for her, but instead they will met in the morning at the backyard. Well, it’s the empty backyard where she loves to spent moments alone, seeking for peace. He sighs, let’s hope Woohyun wasn’t there to disturb him.

Crossing his arm, he drowns himself to his thoughts. What should he do? Even yesterday, she keeps on receiving those hateful letters. What could he have done to protect her? She looks okay and fine, but he doubt she ever opens up about what she truly feels. That girl, she could become a successful actress in the future. She’s real good at hiding feelings and pretending, real good.

“L-oppa!” It causes him to flinch, her voice. He wasn’t even prepared to meet her, he was thinking too hard about her sister.

“Oh, Pil Suk! Good morning, how have you been?” It was a simple and casual greeting, followed by a proper bow to overcome the awkwardness.

“Fine, oppa. How have you been? Thank you for your help, I pass the test.” Pil Suk looks away, before her cheeks turn red.

“It’s fine. Have your sister arrived yet?”

“Oppa, what is your relationship with unnie?” Pil Suk face darkens in disappointment as Myungsoo mentions her sister name.

“We’re….” couples… he wants to say it but soon Jieun’s words echoed inside his head. Pil Suk shall never know about this. After a long silence and thinking, he looks toward her and smiled gently. “We’re good friends, nothing more.”

“No wonder the two of you seems very close.”

“So what’s the matter? It’s unusual of you, arriving extra early and searching for me.”

Pil Suk stood up, causing Myungsoo to stand up too. It was awkward, Myungsoo could feel something weird. Pil Suk herself was unable to control her emotion as the ba-thump ba-thump feeling was too much for her heart. She was scared her heart might explode if this keeps on. Let’s make this quick and receives a quick answer and also ran away quickly in the aftermath. Let’s make everything extra quick.

“L-oppa! I like you!” She said, firm and shyly. Her face turns red from the embarrasement as she offers him the pinky bag.

Myungsoo was in a shocked, he even flinch. He took a step backward without her knowledge, because she’s shutting her eyes closed. What should he said? If he ever rejects her, Jieun would be mad. Jieun won’t let anyone to hurt her dear sister. If he ever accepts her, it would be out of pity- something he hates to do. And if the two dates, what will Jieun become?

“Please answer me, oppa!” She shut her eyes tighter.

“Pil Suk-ah, I’m sorry.”

She will cry, he knows she will cry so badly. Her eyes might even get swollen and he will get blamed all over by Jieun. Without any doubt, he will be the guilty one and Jieun would be upset over this incident. What should he do? He can’t think of any other answer except rejection. Saying he would think over it won’t be a good idea either; in the end he would only rejects her.

Pil Suk quickly throws the bags toward him and ran away. He sighs, how could such a mess happens? Jieun will be upset and all of this will only point him as the guilty one. An apology won’t be enough. This will be another long fight that will create another distance. He ruffled his hair and sigh in frustration.

“Myungsoo…” her voice, is he dreaming? It’s so sweet and gentle, playing a melody of that piano, creating such a beautiful one just by calling his name.

“Jieun…”

Why would she come out at such a time? It will only make things complicated and she doesn’t look happy at all. Myungsoo was lost, unable to figure out what has happen and what will happen and also what to do about it. He knows nothing, he truly knows nothing. His mind turns blank the moment she appear.

“How long have you been there?”

“I saw everything.”

“Oh. Jieun-ah, I’m…”

“So how’s it going? I can’t hear anything. My sister, she was rushing with tears in her eyes.”

“I’m sorry, Jieun-ah.”

“What are you sorry about? You have done nothing wrong.”

“I hurt her, although I have promise you to protect her.”

Jieun approaches him slowly, with a bitter smile over her poker face. She saw it, she saw them all. She wasn’t feeling upset over her sister rejection, it was something else- something she can’t quite figure out. Today, she didn’t even understand her own feelings.

“I prefer man who rejects rather than man who pitied.”

“So are you angry?”

“No, I’m not.” She smiled, gazing toward him.

“Then, are you upset?”

Yes. I am.”


“Somebody is unexpectedly late today.” Woohyun said as Jieun sat in front of him.

“I have some extra things to do.”

“You are not with Myungsoo today?” Jiyeon asked, despite the fact that she was too busy with her phone.

“No.”

“What’s wrong? Are you two fighting again?”

“No.”

“Are you okay?”

“Yes.”

“Are you sick?” Woohyun touch her cheek to make sure she is fine, but only to earn another slap from the girl.

“No, I am fine Woohyun.”

“Jieunnie, you didn’t text me yesterday.” Jiyeon exclaim, pushing her phone away.

“I’m sorry; I was too tired that I forgot calling you.”

“We’re bestfriend! Stop hiding things from me! You should tell me if something happens, Jieun. You’re being annoying these days…” Jiyeon was about to blabber around until Jieun stops her.

“If you want to scold me, scold me another time. I’m sorry I didn’t text you, I was too tired.”

“Is anything wrong, Jieun? You look upset.”

“I will be fine. I will be just fine. I only need to think about some stuff, Woohyun.”


Pil Suk was hanging out with her friends along the corridor, when she suddenly felt an arm grabbing her hand tight and pulling her away. It was rough and forceful; she almost got frightened if she didn’t see the owner’s face. It was Kim Myungsoo, asking her to come with him. Her eyes were red from crying earlier, but thankfully it has slowly faded.

“Can I borrow you for a while?”

“What’s wrong, oppa? I have classes to attend in 10 minutes.”

“I will be real quick. We need to talk.”

Pil Suk nods, shoving Myungsoo’s hand off her. She followed him closely, while being suspicious to her surroundings. Myungsoo was bringing her to the rooftop, where they could finally be alone. What would he be talking about? They have nothing to confirm or to explain, the rejection has hurt her more than enough.

“Pil Suk, you should explain yourself. You don’t even love me to begin with.”

“What’s wrong, L-oppa? I don’t know what you are talking about.”

“Stop acting dumb. Drop those formalities and silly act of yours. Drop those sweet-fluffy acts. I know what you are doing, Pil Suk.”

Pil Suk was surprised when Myungsoo suddenly talk to her that harshly. She flinched and even take a step backward, she feels like running away. However, it soon changes when Myungsoo change his tone to a serious one rather than furious. He gives her a death glare, asking for explanation and also confrontation. This is serious and she too knows how to act seriously.

“So you found out. Seems like I was wrong, you are not dumb.” She said with sarcasm all over her tone.

“What are you doing? You know what I have done to you.”

“Unnie warn me about it, but who cares. I told her I forgot; guess she thinks it was so traumatic that I forgot.”

“What are you planning to do?”

“A game.”

“What game? You’re going to hurt her only!”

“I know you two are dating, ever since a long time ago. I do know your force her to, I do know you have been hurting her. Time for payback, I guess huh?”

“Are you crazy?”

“What you have done to me was enough. Therefore, I’m going to bring my revenge toward you, one crazy man.”

“Kim Pil Suk, stop all of this nonsense!”

“If you can play a game, why can’t I? Let the game begin and let’s see how I won this time.”

“Jieun, she might get hurt, idiot!”

“She’s not even in love with you. Stop dreaming, my game won’t hurt my own sister.” Pil Suk leave, rushing down before Myungsoo explode.

He stood there, as her words echoed in his head. She’s not even in love with you. Yes, she’s not even in love with him. However, did he hope for something too much? He’s trapped, oh dear, he’s trapped. And now, even Pil Suk is playing another game. Where in the world, will this game go to? Who will win and who will lose? Who will get hurt?

Let the answer remain as mystery.


Jieun was sitting alone at the tribune, waiting for Myungsoo who asked her to wait for him. However, he’s running late. Jieun was thinking hard about how to drop the awkwardness that will creates a wall between them. What should she do? She can’t even think straight.

Wait for me, I’m walking Pil Suk home. I will comeback soon.

Myungsoo only left her such a note. She sigh, will Pil Suk be okay? Kim Myungsoo, that man has turned her life into a complicated one. Geez, they shouldn’t have met to begin with.

Comeback soon, I’m waiting.