46

Backstage Princess

 

“What are you doing here, Myungsoo?” Jieun almost yelled at him, after spotting him sitting restlessly on her living room couch.

“Of course I need to come. Pil Suk asks me too, she needs to study more.” Myungsoo answered arrogantly.

“It’s Saturday, Myungsoo! Have you gone out of your mind? You’re not supposed to be here.”

“I am supposed to be here.”

They may have forgotten the last time they spoke to each other. After Jieun ask him to avoid each other, they haven’t even pass by each other. Jieun has stopped cooking for him. They haven’t even look at each other, not even greetings. They haven’t talk to each other, a proper conversation seems to be out of reach.

“No, Myungsoo. Get out!” Jieun yelled, furiously. Saturday is her favorite day, how dare he come and ruined her day.

“Unnie! Don’t yell to him! I asked him to come.”

Jieun turns, facing Pil Suk and she sighed. Has her sister gone crazy because of love? Although Jieun is a kind sister and would do anything for her sister happiness, she kept one strict rule that has to be fulfilled no matter what. No guess on Saturday. Jieun hates having people coming to her house when it’s Saturday. Even Nam Woohyun has got yelled by Jieun because of visiting her on Saturday and Jiyeon has even been kick out.

Jieun could turn into a scary lady when someone tried to ruin her favorite Saturday. And to be honest, kicking out Myungsoo from her house won’t be such a problem. He may get angry after wards and Jieun wouldn’t care at all. No one can disturb her on Saturday.

“Pil Suk, do you know what day today is?”

“Of course, unnie. It’s Saturday!” She said cheerfully as she serves some tea for Myungsoo.

“Pil Suk, we don’t accept guest on Saturday!” Jieun nags.

“But L-oppa is only going to tutor me. He’s my guest today, not yours unnie. Just relax and enjoy your time.”

“But Pil Suk, I’m not going to be at home today.” Jieun sighed as she shook her head multiples time.

“Unnie? You’re going to shop again?” Pil Suk eyes widen. “Am I going to be alone with L-oppa? Unnie, it’s not good.”

“It’s not even good having a boy coming over to a girl house, especially when they’re alone!”

“Unnie, call Woohyun-oppa or Jiyeon unnie.” Pil Suk suggested as she points her finger upward.

“If it’s Woohyun oppa, it would even be more dangerous. Jiyeon unnie would be busy helping her mom today, I would be going to her place this afternoon.”

“Aigoo, unnie. I forgot about that!” Pil Suk shook her head as she pouted.

“Can we start now?” Myungsoo waves his hand between the siblings face and grin.

“Omo, oppa, I’m so sorry. I forgot I have something else to do today.”

“Yeah, Myungsoo. She forgot about it, I’m very sorry.”

“I wake up really early today. Are you going to kick me out just like that, Jieun-ah?” Myungsoo pouted cutely, trying to touch Jieun heart and melt it.

“Like I care, Myungsoo. Shoo, go away!” Jieun drag him outside and throw him away.

It was actually a cute side to Myungsoo, seeing Jieun being furious and finally explodes. Jieun has always been too calm to be known, too polite to be teases, too graceful to be hurt. Seeing her like this has introduced another part of her to him. It was nice, knowing she could get angry despite her calm and graceful attitude. Maybe he should make her explode, teases her until she turns red in anger and finally explode. It won’t be that bad.

Myungsoo laugh, as soon as he was kicked out by Jieun. He leans on the wall next to Jieun’s door as he waited for her. He knows she was going out soon; he listens to their conversation and knows another side of Jieun. She really loves Saturday. He should take her out on Saturday and have some fun. He should bring her present on Saturday.

From time to time, he would take a peek at his watch. Jieun hasn’t gone out yet, although she should be planning on going somewhere today. Let’s take her out and follow her, because it has been too long since they spent some time together.

He’s a human being too; he still has feelings despite how cruel he has changed to. Even he knows he has turn into a beast, a cruel human being with almost no heart. However, the game was something he had plan since a long time ago and it has to be done no matter what. But it seems like the game has changed its direction.


“Pil Sukkie~, I’m going out! If anything happen, call me. Be careful, okay?” Jieun said as she slide the door open and step outside.

She looks gorgeous and stylish with a pastel pink coat on and also a soft-colored scarf. It fits her calm nature so much that Myungsoo need to hold his urge to paint her. If he could paint, he would bring a canvas with him and paint her right away. Her figure was simply amazing, especially when the breezes blow her hair.

“Jieuunie~!” Myungsoo tried to surprise her. 

“Myungsoo, I thought I have told you to go away.” Jieun sighed not feeling surprise at all.

“You’re going somewhere right? I’m going with you.” Myungsoo insisted as he grab her hand and drag her.

“Shoo, Myungsoo. I will go on my own.”

“It’s dangerous, Jieun.”

“I’m not a baby, Myungsoo. It’s summer and it’s bright.” Jieun let go of his hand.

“We have been avoiding each other, let’s just spent some time together.” Myungsoo pleaded.

“I don’t want to be disturbed by you, Myungsoo, especially on a day like this.”

“I will stay nice and silent, okay?”

“Okay then. You’re so stubborn.”

“I won’t get you if I’m not stubborn.”

“You’re annoying.”

“You’re such a meanie.”


It was quite a big shop, down town. Jieun have been walking for at least 10 minutes from an apartment, taking a taxi for another 15 minutes and an additional walk for another 5 minutes to arrive at the shop. It was empty, not many people were inside, only some workers. Judging by its place and interior design, not to forget the workers, it was quite an expensive one.

Lightning fill the shop, brightly as they displayed some branded clothes and accessories. It really fits Jieun. Myungsoo knew that this girl loves fashion designing so much and she was truly talented. It was a mystery where does that talent came from. She was simply born to be a designer. From the outside, you could see the fabric they sold.

It’s not a mystery anymore, why Jieun would be willing to spent almost half an hour just to visit the shop. The shop was truly created for fashion lover. They sell high-quality fabric with colorful paints and various unique pattern. Jieun entered the shop, followed by the tingling sound of the bell.

In a blink of an eye, all the workers turn their head to face Jieun. She is truly an angel, because the workers suddenly smile. Myungsoo eyes wander around as he decided to pay attention at his surroundings. This is not something he likes, he loves being fashionable but he hates to shop.

“Ms. Lee! Long time no see. It’s nice to see you again!” A woman, probably on her early 20s come to greet her.

“Oh, Jimin unnie! You are still working here.” Jieun replied as she bowed, showing her gratitude.

“Of course. How have you been?”

“I have been very great, unnie. I hope you too.”

“I am having a very great time, Jieun-ah. And who is that boy? He is quite handsome you know.” Jimin teases her.

“Oh, he was only a friend of mind.” Jieun said without bothering about the game and shrugs him off.

“Would you like to look around? We have just received some new arrival.” The woman continued as she guide Jieun around the shop.

“I think I should come to your house often.” Jimin said as Jieun eyes wander around, searching for the perfect fabric.

“You should call me if you want to come. My house is empty now.”

“Empty? Where are you living now?” Jimin asked in surprise.

“In apartment. I afford it on my own.”

“So you’re working?”

“At Jiyeon’s place. Her mom is a designer too, I work as her assistant.”

“I have seen your works, Jieun. They are all splendid, just like your parents.”

“Yeah, unnie. I know.” Jieun sighed as she could feel the pain on his chest.

“Jieun-ah, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.”

“No, unnie. It’s okay.”

Myungsoo was leaning against the wall, standing quite a distant from Jieun. He was watching her, as she was having her conversation with the older woman. He might be standing in a distance but he keeps her close as he listens to every single conversation. He didn’t mean to eavesdrop, it’s just he needs to know more about Jieun.

If it’s not because of Jieun’s words, he maybe tailing her all day. He has been thinking for quite a while, about what he is to Jieun. She simply shrugs him off, calling him a friend of her as if he’s nothing. Could he ever be able to come forward? Even a step would mean so much to him.


More than 2 hours of shopping in that very shop, even Myungsoo hands are full of shopping bags that he barely walks. Don’t even ask about Jieun, her body was hidden under those shopping bags. Thankfully, there was a taxi around when Jieun finishes shopping. It’s a relieve that they don’t need to walk while carrying so much things around but then, Jieun asked the driver to drop them off, one kilometer before they arrived. 

“Who am I to you, Jieun-ah?” It was such a sudden question that surprises Jieun.

“What do you mean, Myungsoo?”

“We’re couples, Jieun. Even though we are fake, it’s wrong calling me a friend of yours.”

“What do you expect me to call you, Myungsoo?” Jieun asked as she stops walking.

“Boyfriend.”

“Are you exactly expecting me to say that?”

“I do.” It was an honest answer to be ignored by Jieun.

Jieun left him in silence as her mind wander somewhere else. She didn’t really want to talk about their relationship right now. Uncertainty always filled her soul every time she tried to think about it. Calling Myungsoo her boyfriend would be something beyond her reach, it’s almost impossible. Yet from the way he asks her, she knows he is hoping to be called boyfriend by her.

“Jieun-ah, where do you actually live?”

“You have visit my house before, Myungsoo.”

“No, Jieun. I mean your real house. Can I visit it?”

“I never thought I am going to come back to that place, yet I keep on going back. We are heading there, Myungsoo.” Jieun inhales deeply as painful memory hits her throbbing heart.

“Are you sure you are okay, Jieun? You don’t look happy.”

“It’s just… I have so many thing to think about.”

Her past.


“Ms. Lee! How much I miss you!” The woman squeals in excitement.

The view in front of them was simply amazing. Everything was design perfectly to it’s detail and the color blended perfectly. The ornaments were beautiful, decorating the house perfectly. It was impossible to be called a house, it’s more likely a mansion. It was so big, with parks, gazebos, and huge yard. There was also a fountain and a fishpond.

The interior design too was better than expected. As a fashion designer, her parents have a good taste on many things. They have built their ideal house, perfectly to its detail. Myungsoo wonders how many years it takes to built such a house. However, this mansion is now empty. Jieun leaves this place a few years ago, when she enters middle school.

The middle-aged woman greeted the two of them as she hugs Jieun with a motherly hugs. The two looks different and Myungsoo know that the woman was no other than one of Jieun’s family servants. He wouldn’t said servants though, because Jieun clearly treated them nicely. They are just like family members.

“Hello, Mrs. Kwon. It’s been a while.” Jieun smiled as she bowed carefully, not to drops her stuff.

The woman called some other servants, helping them to bring the shopping bags. They quickly snatched them and brought them upstairs, to one of the rooms. There are so many rooms upstairs and Myungsoo is sure that all of them are big enough for 20 people to sleep. The staircase show off a glamour feeling as it was beautifully design.

Every wall was covered by photo and paints, it show off an artistic side of Jieun’s family. The curtain that covers the window was originally design by Jieun parents. Myungsoo hasn’t yet to know Jieun’s parents job but he was simply fascinated by their works.

“Ms. Lee. I never thought you would come back, dear. It’s been months since the last time you came back.” The woman continued as she shoots a worried look to Jieun.

“I’m perfectly fine, Mrs. Kwon. I’m glad that you are as cheerfull as ever.”

“I’m going to be old soon, Ms. Lee. I need to smile a lot to prevent my skin from wrinkle.” She joked as they both giggled.

“Oh, hello there young man. You brought such a handsome boy home, Ms. Lee. May I know who he is?” Mrs. Kwon spotted Myungsoo standing behind Jieun while smiling sweetly at her.

“Oh, this is…” she remembers his word. “My boyfriend, Mrs. Kwon.”

Myungsoo eyes were wandering around the house, when Jieun suddenly take a glance of him. But he soon stick his eyes around Jieun, as he heard his words. He’s her boyfriend. But why wouldn’t she be happy because of it? Myungsoo gave a smile to the middle-aged lady.

“Wah, such a lucky young man you are….”

“L, you can call me L.” 

“Okay, young man, L.” the woman repeat.

“Mrs. Kwon, could you take L to see around?” Jieun requested.

“Oh, sure. I will ask Mr. Han to take him. And let’s talk Jieun. We miss you.”

Everyone misses the lady, that’s for sure. Even the guards are excited as soon as they spotted her standing in front of the gate. The servants are smiling as they greets her and Mrs. Kwon couldn’t even hide her happiness. Well, she ran away a long time ago.

Myungsoo went with the old man while Jieun stays with the middle-aged woman. Myungsoo eyes follows her strictly as she slowly disappear from his sight. Mr. Han shows him many things, including Jieun personal collection of clothes, it was something she design on her own. One room, she has filled on room with it. 

“Jieun-ah, I haven’t seen you for a while. Have you heard from them?” Mrs. Kwon asked as she prepares some tea.

“I barely remembers them. We haven’t contacted each other ever since they left. They only sends me some money.” Jieun smile faintly as she took a sip of her tea.

“We loves you, Jieun. You should come back more often and tell me if anything went wrong. After you ran away 7 years ago, after your parents left, it become so empty here.”

“I will, Mrs. Kwon. When I have time, I will visit home.”

“So, Jieun, you’re dating someone? He is quite a guy, you know?” the woman teases.

Jieun was surprise by her sudden question. Mrs. Kwon has already been a mom to her, she is closer to the woman rather than to her own mother. So this is something a mother would like to know, yes? However, this question was something with no answer. Jieun sighed, knowing how bad she is on lying.

“Yes, Mrs. Kwon. I am dating someone.”

“But Jieun,” they looked at each other. “You don’t look happy. When you’re dating someone, when you’re in love, you would be very happy.”

How could she ever look happy? Their relationship was simply a game, she could hope for nothing more than it. How coud she looks happy? He was the one who break her. How could she be happy? He was the one to ruin her life.

Because I’m not in love with him, Mrs. Kwon.”

She can’t look happy, because she’s not in love with him.