48

Backstage Princess

“Jieun! What are you doing?” A man voice echoed. She lost her consciousness, drowning inside the darkness.

The man voice was followed by the clank sound of something hard falling. Clank, the sound of it echoed as the darkness become pitch black. She can’t see anything and all she could feel was fear. Her hand was trembling because of the fear yet she needs to do this.

“Lee Ji Eun! Get your head straight!” Jieun tried to grip the knife tighter but she realizes it was no longer there. It was being stolen away from her hand.

“Jieun, open your eyes!” The man raises his voice in panic, Jieun could feel it, his feeling running through her body.

As the man requested, she flutter her eyes open slowly. It was scary, opening her eyes while knowing that she may no longer be alive. She holds her breath, trying to hold the pain that may spread through her body in no time. Her wrist, she hopes it wasn’t badly injured, she was afraid of the pain. But when she opens her eyes, Kim Myungsoo figure was still standing in front of her.

He was sweating and panicking like crazy. It’s like he almost lost his life. He turns pale, as if he has seen a ghost appearing right in front of him. His hand was on her shoulder, shaking her body back and forth. He was shouting, not just once or twice, but hundreds of time to wake her up. Jieun, was she actually alive?

Her eyes wander around, as she found the knife on the ground. So, it was where the clank sound come from, the knife. It was only a meter away; she could grab it and end everything real soon. Wasn’t that better? She could ask Jiyeon to lie to Pil Suk and said that she is heading to Paris or somewhere else.

“Jieun, what are you doing?” Myungsoo asked, he stares at her brown orbs.

She replied his stares; she raises her gaze and stares in confusion at him. She was yelling at her, but why? He was furious just now, asking her to end her own life. Why would he yell at her? And she could clearly see how panic and scares he was, blending with his anger.

“Have you lost your mind, Jieun?”

She could only stares at him. She didn’t know what to say.

“Answer me, Jieun! What have you done? Did you get hurt or anything?” Myungsoo attack her with hundreds of panicking question.

“No. No. I- I think I’m fine. I- I’m fine?”

“Jieun, why would you do something like that?”

“Weren’t it you who badly wants me to disappear? I was fulfilling your request in return for your promise never to hurt my sister again.” She was still in a daze.

“I did it? It’s impossible, Jieun!”

“You did it, Myungsoo! You did it! You threaten me, you said you would kill my sister and if I dies you would let her be alone!” Jieun yelled back as she managed to gather some memories.

“Damn it, Jieun! Damn it! Why would you listen to me?!”

“What can I do, Myungsoo? You left me no choice! You’re pinning me to the wall, glaring at me furiously, threatening me with those cruel words of yours! You’re intimidating me!”

“Forget it, Jieun! I’m sorry, okay?” He sighed, ruffling his hair and walk away. Leaving Jieun behind as she slide down and crumble. Her breathing was uneven, trying to grasp for some more air.

Their fight, whose fault is this?


“Jieun, I heard what happen from Hoya! What the hell are you thinking?!” Jiyeon was furious.

“I don’t want to talk about it, Jiyeon.”

“Jieun! You can’t ever do something like that again! I will kill you if something like that happens again!” Jiyeon was holding her urge to explode and throw Jieun out from the window.

“Nothing happen, Jiyeon. He let me go.” Jieun was calm.

Jiyeon know how anxious Jieun was. Beneath her desk, her fingers are clutching together, fidgeting. Her nails dig in deep to her palm, leaving marks behind. Her heart was beating crazily as the fear still haunts her. She was breathing heavily as she tried to maintain her manner. If she didn’t have such a splendid self-control, she would be crying heavily by now.

“Jieun-ah, you are not okay at all.” Jiyeon hugs her and Jieun hugs her back tightly.

“I’m scared, Jiyeon. I don’t know what to do.” Jieun whispers, shutting her eyes close as her body tremble even more.

“It’s okay, Jieun. He has let you go. He won’t mess around anymore.” Jiyeon patted her back.

“Where is Woohyun?” Jieun memories suddenly pop up. Nam Woohyun, he could be picking a fight with Kim Myungsoo if he ever finds out.

“Jieun! He’s… Kim Myungsoo’s class!”

Jieun ran, followed by Jiyeon. This can’t be happening. No one can stop Woohyun when he’s fighting except her, and she was losing her own strength at the time. If she’s about to stop Woohyun, she might be crumbling and made things even worse. Even her legs are still trembling now, as she rushes to Kim Myungsoo’s class.


Nam Woohyun was furious, how could Myungsoo done something like that? What was it, the actual purpose of the game? He can’t believe that Jieun did it. He heads to Myungsoo’s class as he gathers all his strength on his fist. When he enters, he would make sure Myungsoo’s face would be all beat up and he would ended up in hospital. Woohyun wouldn’t be satisfied unless it happens.

Myungsoo looks stressed out, but he didn’t care. Myungsoo was gazing outside and Hoya seems to be furious. It was a tense atmosphere there;Hoya was keeping his anger inside. When Woohyun come, Hoya didn’t even bother to stop them. The rest of the INFINITE was there but because the Hoya was definitely furious, they keep their urge to hold Woohyun back.

“Kim Myungsoo!” He shouted as he throws a hard punch to his face.

Myungsoo stay still, letting his face get destroyed.

He stood still, staying still without the will to fight back. He was gazing blankly at the sky, a glimpse of sadness and regret was reflected from his dark orbs. He keeps on staying still as if he loses his soul.

Even when Nam Woohyun grabs his neck, strangles it, and forces him to turn his head and face the furious man, he wasn’t shock to see the furious man standing there, ready to beat him up to pieces. His expression didn’t even change. He didn’t bother to defend himself when Nam Woohyn started to throw punches to him.

He could feel it, the pain penetrating against his skin, spreading around his cheek. Nam Woohyun keeps on throwing punches as his vision turn blurry and he could taste his own blood flowing down from his lip. He looks around, checking his surroundings. Kim Myungsoo knows he would pass out soon if this keeps going on.

But he didn’t even bother to defend himself, gathering his strength and fight back. He could have just get rid of Nam Woohyun and let himself having some pride and let it rose. However, today he let his pride to be step on, destroyed and crushes to pieces. He could have just shouted and order the INFINITE to help him, but no. Not today, no, not today.

He deserves it.

The rest of INFINITE was standing there; watching him getting all beat up and covered in blood. They watch him winced in pain, groaning as he feels the pain penetrating against his skin, spreading around his aching body. They all stay silent, watching him bleed, watching him covered in bruises.

If it’s just another usual case of Nam Woohyun fighting against Kim Myungsoo or vice versa, they won’t be staying calm like this. Sungyeol would scream, seeing the two fights. Hoya would pull Woohyun away while Sungjong would be trying hard to pull Myungsoo away. In the end, he would be lecture by Dongwoo all day long while Woohyun would receive a lecture rom her, by Jieun. That is how he knows the girl.

But today, they all stay quiet. Myungsoo’s eyes wander around in a blurry vision, until he spotted Hoya. He was the one who’s holding the INFINITE back from rescuing him. He gave him such a nasty look, he hates him. Myungsoo knows that he hates him, because of what he, Kim Myungsoo has done. He has hurt his dear childhood friend.

The nasty look, he deserves it.

His vision turn blurry, but he could see something or someone walking within the light, sparkling and shining inside the light. As if it was guiding him inside the dark, before everything turn pitch black. Maybe, this is his end. An end full of regret and pain. At least, he wanted to seeher, kneeling on both his knee, begging for an apology. Yet he couldn’t do that. The pain has gone even deeper, killing him inside out.

“Nam Woohyun, enough!” It must be a fantasy, hearing her voice again. He never thought he would be able to hear that lovable voice of hers again after the cruel thing he had done to her. She wasn’t calling his name; it’s okay as long as he could hear her voice. It’s understandable, knowing what he had done.

Suddenly the punches stop and Myungsoo collapses to his chair like a corpse. His body ache, the effect from getting all beat up by the school’s athlete. The punches stop and he could feel Nam Woohyun turning his back against him. He finally let him have some rest before killing him to death.

“Woohyun, enough! What are you doing?” It was Jieun voice again.

“Jieun! Jieun! Do you know how worried I was? Are you okay?”

Lee Ji Eun was there, in the room.

Gathering all the strength he had left, he flutters his eyes open only to see her small figure in front of his very eyes. She was talking to Woohyun, she seems fine but he knows she couldn’t be fine. How could she? Being fine after what he had done to her. She can’t be fine. Now, the question is… How could he? Doing something so cruel to her?

Woohyun hands were on her shoulder, shaking her body back and forth, asking her hundreds of question. Myungsoo could feel how worried he was and he could feel how relieve Hoya was after seeing her being fine.

“I’m fine, Woohyun.”

“This guy really is… I need to teach him a lesson.” Woohyun lifted Myungsoo’s body, ready to throw another punch.

“No, Nam Woohyun wasn’t that clear enough? Stop!” Jieun commands, before Woohyun managed to lay a single hand on Myungsoo.

“Jieun, don’t you realize? He had done something very bad to you! He almost kills you.” Woohyun tried to sustain his anger, he never yells to Jieun, no matter how upset he is.

“I will handle it myself, Woohyun. Just let him goes, you have taught him enough lessons.” Jieun said calmly, hiding her trembling and scared self behind her calm and settled manner.

“How would you handle him, Jieun? You don’t know how cruel he is.” Woohyun was unable to let go, there are just too much hate burning inside him.

Jieun inhales deeply, as she walks closer to Myungsoo. Jiyeon, who was standing behind her, could see her trembling legs, shivering body, clenching fist, everything that mean Lee Ji Eun was trapped inside her own fear. Yet she was so strong, strong enough to fight it. Woohyun gives her such a deep stares, asking her what she would be doing in a moment.

Slap!

It should be such a hard slap, but no, it didn’t happen. She raises her hand high, ready to slap him hard but she couldn’t do it. She holds it in, her urge to slap him hard, making him collapse. She couldn’t do it, she hold her hand in the air. Myungsoo could see it, how scared she was until her hand tremble so much. He could see traces of tears in her eyes, pain reflected clearly from it. He was the cause, the cause of all of this.

He deserves it, he deserves that slap.

“Let’s go, Woohyun. You have done enough. He has learned his lesson.” Jieun said as she left the class.

Myungsoo collapses, to his chair but soon, Hoya come. He was giving him that nasty look, unable to let go of the battered man. He pushes him from his chair, pulling him up by his collar, glaring at him. His hand form a fist and…

Drop!

Hoya punches him hard and he fall lifelessly to the ground.


“Jieun-ah, Jieun-ah, Lee Ji Eun!” Woohyun grab Jieun’s arm as soon as they exited the class. Jieun didn’t answer any of his calls and she seems to be rather upset.

“Jieun-ah, are you okay?” Woohyun forceful grab cause her to turn her body around and stares at his gentle eyes.

Jieun couldn’t answer, she fears she would break into tears the moment she opens her lip. Her lip was shaking, trembling; she keeps on bitting her lip until it bleed. She couldn’t say anything because the pain and the fear, was too much to handle. That was the first time, she truly attempt to hurt herself.

“Jieun-ah, answer me. Are you okay?” Woohyun stares at her brown orbs, searching for answer that was clearly reflected from her eyes. Woohyun knows it.

He knows she is not the slightest bit fine.

“It’s going to be okay, Jieun-ah.” Woohyun pull her to his embrace, burying her face on his chest, letting her cry her lungs out.

Jieun shook her head, answering his previous question. Soon, the sounds of faint sobs come, echoing. Jieun was crying inside his embrace, letting all her insecurity goes away. Woohyun patted her back slowly and gently, as she cried harder. He embraces her tight. Jiyeon sighed at the view, to comfort Jieun there is only one person in the world that could make her brighter, Nam Woohyun. Or was she wrong? Because she too knows, Lee Ji Eun has been waiting for someone.

“Thank you,” Jiyeon mouthed to Woohyun as she walks away.

Myungsoo was feeling weak inside the class yet this time he feels like dying, watching the two holding each other romantically. Seeing the two embracing each other, letting all their feelings out. Why can’t it be him?

Well, because someone like him will never deserves someone like her.