56

Backstage Princess

 

Has the sky always been this much pretty? Jieun couldn’t help but open her eyes and stick her gaze up high. It was so pretty, the sky. She can’t remember the last time she saw such a pretty sky. Maybe, she should value it a little bit more than she usually does. Because it was so pretty and it manages to captivates her right away.

The bluish sky was a matched to the transparent greenish color the ocean made. She’s underneath the water, seeing how the two created such a beauty gradation of view. She loves it, so much until she can’t take her eyes off it. How bubbles comes out from and fly upward, toward the sky- captivates her even more.

Pretty, as pretty as ever. Jeju is pretty and will always be pretty. She finally can feel it, the beauty of Jeju, something she should have realizes it sooner. Her trauma and pass has become a hindrance, she should have been able to shove it off a long time ago. Dumb Lee Ji Eun, struggling with her own pass without able to look forward.

It gives her comfort and peace- the awesome gorgeous view. She loves it, the feelings that tingle her inside. She could only wish for it to stay forever, a pure relaxation without anything complicated to thinks about. It wasn’t hot, since she was underneath the water. And the sun too, didn’t sting her eyes at all, a nice and warm sensation.

Her lungs were filled with water, suffocating her. Her chest felt like a car bump to it. Her eyes were sting by the salt water of the ocean. However, she did not move. She let herself enjoy the view; she let herself being drown inside the water, and being swayed by the wild hungry waves. She was getting further and further away from the beach.

Why don’t we gives up? She has had enough, you have had enough Jieun. She has struggles so hard to take herself out from the water. She has tried so hard to swim upwards, to fill her lungs with as much air as possible. Yet her effort has turned useless and reversely, she has been swayed further away from the beach.

What awaits her anyway? If she survives, she might have problems with her head. She won’t be able to stay conscious, to differs what happen 10 years ago and what happen just now. Her head is a mess up right now, she can’t think straight, even after having that nice single view. She would be terrified to breath and face that man again. She would be terrified to see the beach, to touch it. She would be trapped inside her pass.

She would end up being death anyway; Myungsoo must be eagerly waiting for the chance to kill her. Pil Suk? Well, she can simply survive alone. Jiyeon will definitely take a good care of her. Jieun is tired, she’s very tired- from too much thinking, from too much responsible, from too much struggles? Why don’t we end it now, Jieun? You shall never exert anymore pain and struggles, giving up here don’t mean you committed a suicide either.

Yeah, Jieun we should rest. You and I have been too tired to live any longer, to see the world any longer. Let’s just closed our eyes and let our body being swayed even further, exhales your last breath as the bubble will swam away, bidding you goodbye. Tell me, if what I said it’s wrong. Yet you would never be able to tell me I’m wrong, Jieun.

She thinks inside.

Yeah, let’s rest. She shut her eyes closed, as the light inside her brown orbs slowly disappear. She sinks dipper, to the ocean. As small fishes started to gather around, she must have been so far away from the beach.

Goodbye, let’s bid a farewell.


“Jieun! Jieun!” a panic voice of a man echoed inside her brain, spinning around, leaving her confused.

Dead, she’s supposed to be dead by now.

“Jieun! Jieun! Damn! Wake up!”

She felt it, her heavy chest like a concrete was burying her. She felt it, her suffocating breath as it slowly stop. She felt it, water inside . Her body feels heavy, uncomfortable. Her head feels heavy, spinning around to no end. She must be dreaming. She’s scared to open her eyes.

“I beg you, damn it! Lee Ji Eun! Wake up!” A frustrated one.

Her hands touch the sand, feeling the soft white sand of Jeju. Scared but manages to overcome her fear, she flutter her eyes open. Everything was blurry, she can’t see anything. She could see a figure, with no face, only a black hair. She could see some more people, figures. That all she could see.

Her ears were ringing loud, as one of them keep calling her name. She doesn’t know who does that voice belong to, but soon another man was calling her name, louder and louder in frustration. Blinking her eyes multiple times, to get a better vision of surroundings, she once again flutter her eyes open. She exposed her brown orbs, observing her surroundings.

She looked like a lost puppy; her brown orbs flutter open in confusion. She look lost in the middle of nowhere, she doesn’t seems to know her surroundings. She seems confused with lots of questions inside her head. She tried to stand, but her body was too weak, she coughs some water out from her body.

Where am I? Who am I? She seems to be asking those questions to herself. But soon, when Woohyun approaches her, she seems to be regaining her memories one by one. Followed by Jiyeon soon after Woohyun’s arrival, she seems to be remembering every single thing. Her confused looks soon fade away, however she still looks like a lost helpless puppy.

“Jieun, are you okay?” Woohyun asked.

She didn’t answer and chooses to stay silent. She looks at him in confusion, not giving him any answer. She threw her gaze back to the ocean, where she was drowned. She’s soaked wet, thankfully in her swim suit. What happen? She can’t remember. Something is definitely wrong with her head; she can’t remember what day it is.

Who push her? It was a sudden question that pops up inside her head. A man suddenly runs to her, blocking the sun from warming her cold body. The man seems to be surprised and frustrated, he lean towards her, try to lay a touch on her fragile body. The man eyes were rather gentle and kind, warm and generous; he looks like he wanted to comfort her.

However, she soon was taken by surprise. The man was simply trying to grab her hand and comforts her when…

She screams her lungs out.

She screams on top of her lung, this man is the one who pushes her down to the ocean. This man is the cause of her pain and trauma, the one who tried to killed her. She become insane as her memories become all mix up, rushing back and forth- her memories 10 years ago. He must have done it again; today must be that day, 10 years ago.

The man pulled back, stood up in surprise as he was left speechless by her act. She struggles hard to cast him away, as if he’s a ghost, worse than ghost- a monster. She tried to run away from him, although her body refuses to support her. She cried and screams in fear. She fears him, again, but why? He had done nothing wrong at all.

“Jieun-ah, are you okay? What happen?” Woohyun asked, kneeling beside the scared lady.

“Jieun-ah, calm down. Everything is going to be alright, okay?” Jiyeon soon patted her back.

“Why are you screaming? He’s Hoya, he’s Hoya, Jieun. Your dear childhood friend.

Jieun turn to Woohyun, facing him in fear. Her body trembles so much, her lip trembles even more. She won’t be able to speak, she will keeps on stuttering no matter how hard she tried. She might even turn mute even they failed to heal her. Woohyun was shock by her looks, how a mess up and terrible she has become.

“No! No! He’s the one who pushed me! He’s the one! He push me! He pushes me! He killed me! He wanted to kill me!” She shouted, after gathering enough courage and strength. In one single breath, she let it all out.

Pain, clearly reflected from Hoya eyes as his facial expression darkens. She hates him, she fears him. After what happen, it would only be an imagination, to lead another good friendship with her. She hugs Woohyun and snuggles closer to his chest. She didn’t even bother to take a glance of him, who looks sad and disappointed.

Oh dear, her head must be a mess-up.


“I can’t believe you are laying back here!” Sunggyu exclaim and rolled his eyes.

“Why? I can do whatever I want to, I’m sleepy. I want to sleep.” Myungsoo answered ignorantly.

“Who would ever guess you will be messing around, playing around and even sleeping around at this hour?” Sunggyu shook his head, reflecting his disappointment in the younger one.

“You are annoying. I don’t have anything to do, I’m not interested in doing household chores.” Myungsoo answered in a cold tone.

“Oh dear boy,” his motherly side rises, “haven’t you heard about Jieun? She’s in big trouble.”

He almost jumps, hearing that she’s in trouble. He doesn’t exactly know why, it’s only a simple response that he gives. His body flinched, almost rushing outside to find her. Yet his conscious wakes him up, no, he won’t do something that stupid. It’s none of his business anymore-her.

“Oh, shut up! I want to sleep, stop disturbing me!”

“Have some manner, Myungsoo! She’s your g-”

“I don’t care!” Myungsoo yelled, hiding himself beneath a pillow.

“I can’t believe you, Myungsoo. Just for you to know, she was almost dead. She drowns, barely breathing.” Sunggyu whisper before slamming the door closed.

She drowns, she almost die.

His heart stops, fluttering his eyes open as the words keep spinning inside his head. His body shakes tremendously, unable to believe reality. His heart stop, his chest was heavy; breathing seems to be one of the hardest thing to do. Without much thinking, he slam the door open and rush outside, leaving the oldest dumbfounded.

Idiot, you can back away from reality yet you can’t deny that feeling of yours.

The oldest shook his head, sipping another cup of his coffee.


The door slammed open, surprising the four who was crowding inside the hotel room. Jieun was sitting, resting her back against the wall. She looks rather fragile and scared, lost to be precise. She looks terrified, wrapped in a thin fabric of white towel. She must be cold, her lip turn blue.

Woohyun turn his head, facing the door, followed by the two others. Jieun was too busy, trying to fix herself and her memories. Her head is a mess up, she keeps on mixing up the past and the present without being able to differ them. Her body shakes so much as Hoya was there. She has, once again, come to fear him.

The figure slowly unveils itself, revealing it black hair and panting breath. He was running out of breath as he barge into the room without asking for any permission. It triggers anger, as if he was the one who has caused all the mess. Maybe it’s true but it’s too late to blame him anyway. Now that Jieun is in this state, it’s almost impossible to fix it.

She has never been this much scared before, she never really sheds any tear. Even the last time when Pil Suk committed a suicide, she wasn’t this much mess up. She looks like she has been drowning into the depth of the ocean, to be eaten by the darkness there. She keeps on pulling Woohyun sleeves, asking him to stay with her and she keeps glancing at Jiyeon, asking her to never leave her alone.

Woohyun was too angry, too confused, and too troublesome to handle Myungsoo that time. Jieun keeps calling his name in a soft-frustrated tone, asking him to stay by her side. Woohyun heave a sigh in frustration, turning his back against Myungsoo to take a good care of Jieun. He hugs her, as she started to sob.

“Jieun-ah, it’s me, Hoya.” Hoya tried to make her regains her memories back, to fix her head.

Hoya leans closer, as Jieun started to pull herself away from Woohyun. Her bloodshot eyes reflected her fear clearly, how much she has come to fear him. Her head is a mess up; you can’t blame her for it. Her trauma was repeating itself, before the wound completely injured. Now, just imagine how badly injured she is, beneath the ocean, being swayed further away. Her soul must be wandering around somewhere else.

“Don’t touch me!” Jieun yelled, raising her voice that caused everybody to froze.

“Jieun-ah, it’s me, Hoya. We talked last night, remember?”

She stops for minutes, giving him a long-deep confused stare. Then, she shook her head multiple times, harshly.

“No! No! You…You… You push me! You push me! You wanted to kill me!” Jieun shouted even more. She flinched when her hand brushes his skin.

“Jieun-ah…”

“Get out! I don’t want you to be here! Get out! You push me! You killed me! Get out!”

“Jieun-ah, he wasn’t the one who pushed you.” Jiyeon tried to convince her, to believe and trust the innocent boy.

“No! No! He’s the one who pushed me! Yes, he’s the one who wanted to kill me!”

Woohyun sighed in frustration, he mutters something and whispers something to Jieun ear before letting go off her and talk to the boy. They looks at each other, before another sigh escape their lips, acknowledging the situation they are in. Hoya sigh, his face darkens in pain.

“Give him a little time, Hoya. She must be very shocked; you can’t expect her to heal right away.”

“No, I understand.”

“You should leave; I will notify you when she got better.”

“Okay then.”

He rushes outside, after taking glance at the vulnerable lady. Her lip trembles so much, shaking.

“Where have you been, Myungsoo? You irresponsible boyfriend.” The boy whispers to the man who stood in front of the door.

Step… step

“Jieun-ah, are you okay?” He kneeled next to her, holding her hand tightly, ignoring the fact that she flinched everytime he touch her.

She stares at him in confusion, as if he’s a stranger to her. She seems to be forgetting who he is, unable to identify the handsome man. She blinks multiples time, still staring in confusion. She turns her head to the quiet and angry Nam Woohyu, then back to him. She turns her head to the worried Park Jiyeon, then back to him, still in confusion.

Then it came, her memories of him. And this time, it’s even more of a mess-up.

“No! You get away from me! Get away from me! You tried to kill me! You tried to kill me!” She shouted again, desperately dragging herself further from Myungsoo although her body refuses to move.

“Jieun-ah, please.” He begs.

“No! Go away! Get away from me! Stop haunting me! You tried to kill me! You tried to kill me!”

“Jieun-ah, no, you’re wrong.”

“You kill me! You tried to kill me! You tried to kill me and Pil Suk!”

“Jieun-ah, yo-”

“Enough, Myungsoo. You too, should leave. She has had enough of you; she might even have gotten sick of you.” Woohyun said, chasing him away.

“Damn you, Nam Woohyun! She’s my girlfriend; I have the rights to…”

“Where were you when she drowns? Where were you when she cried? Where were you when she is this much terrified? Where were you when she was helpless?”

He stays silent, he was nowhere. He has never been there for her. He has only been hurting her.

“Do you want to pick a fight with me? Here? With her in this stage?”

“No, I will just leave. Please, take care of her.”


Midnight, the clock strike 12 yet he was still unable to sleep. He has been thinking too much, the mighty Kim Myungsoo. He has been thinking too much, thinking over her. How is she? Has she gotten better? Seeing her in that state has caused him to suffer too, to be very worried and anxious.

He can’t help it, he slam the door open and once again rushes to her. She might be very terrified of him, but well, he needs to make sure she is fine. He wanted to be the one who heals her, even if it’s impossible. At least, he wants to know whether she’s okay or whether she’s in a bad shape. Hoya was the one who keeps getting notify while he was left with blank papers.

Jieun was asleep, seated. She wasn’t drenched in water anymore; she was wrapped in a pastel sweater and a white fabric, giving her enough warmth. She looks rather peaceful and fine, charming and beautiful, mesmerizing. He doesn’t want to disturb her sleep, but he keeps on getting the urge to patted her head and whisper her a good night.

He clicked the door open as he walked slowly toward her. It surprises him how she slowly open her eyes while he was standing right in front of him. She rub her eyes and slowly flutter it opens, revealing her sloppy self as her eyes turn red from too much rubbing. She almost screams on top of her lungs when she saw him.

“Shhh… I will not bring any harm. I will leave okay? Just sleep and rest some more.” Myungsoo put his index finger on her pale lip. She flinched as the direct touch was made.

She started to looks around, as she realizes she was the only one inside the room. Jiyeon wasn’t there and Woohyun won’t be there at this hour either. She’s alone, all alone. She looks at the man, who slowly walks further and further away, tearing them apart.

It causes her to be insecure, the fact that she’s all alone. Seeing how the man figure slowly disappears has caused her to be even more insecure. She tried to call his name, but failed. was too dry to be able to speak. She wasn’t able to move either, her body was too cold and her legs were to weak to be walking around care freely.

“Kim Myungsoo,” she finally says it, his name.

The man turns around as she buried her face underneath the white fabric, seeking for warmth. “Yes?”

Don’t leave. Stay with me.”