01

Backstage Princess

It was just another day, yet it feels different. The sun has rise up in the sky and you could hear the sound of the birds singing. It's another new academic years and Jieun knew, more than anything in the world, that today is going to be tough. There are black circles under her eyes,caused by the lack of sleep for the last 7 days. Today, she could only hope that everything is going to be alright. She keep on inhaling and exhaling her deep breath, while trying to hide the shivers that flow throw her body. 

Jieun kept her head low, while walking along the school hallway. Since it was the new academics year, the hallways was full of students and also some teachers. Trying hard to gather her courage, she took a step forward, walking along the hallway. And the other, then another. She kept walking, but by time her walking pace get faster and faster, as if she was being chased by a ghost. She didn't dare to look up, even with her glasses on. 

Being the modest, the perfect, the smartest, the gorgoeous, the beautiful, and the richest has given Jieun enough pressure. But right now, this is a lot more than that. Jieun could hear the sound of her heels, knocking the floor. And she could feel how her heart is accelerating fastly. She feels like her heart could blow up and explode at anytime. Ba-thump ba-thump, the ba-thump ba-thump feelings that keep on haunting her, each time she took another step forward, and it has driven her crazy. Her head became dizzy. 

People are staring at her, not only students but also teachers and some other staff. They were staring at her, from head to toe, not to forget the fact that they tried hard to get a better view of her face. Some boys are even touching her soft and long almond-coloured hair and grinning like crazy after doing it. They admire her a lot, she knew that. No body in the school could ever hate a girl like her. The soft, feminine feelings that came to you everytime she passed, the genuine smile that always radiates from her face, and also the wise and soft words that came out from , no body could hate someone like that. She is too kind, for anyone to hate. Of course, you can make an exception for those who are jealous. 

Jieun has never been the type who likes attention. Even a slightest bit of attention could make her go crazy. She is very shy. It was not necessary for her to wear such a thick glasses, however she always used it to hide from people gaze. However, it's not working well for today. She could still feel people gaze all over her. To be honest, Jieun just want to run away. But she could not, because by then she would get much more attention. 

In this school, there are those who are very popular, fairly popular, longing to be popular, ordinary, and unknown. Jieun belongs to those who are very popular. She never tried hard to get it, her unique personality, her genius head and also her fashionable style and beauty get her up there. Unlike so many people who do many things to be popular. But deep inside, Jieun always hopes that she belongs to the unknown group. It has been very difficult for her, to survive in the very popular group. Eventhough she knew, when she is no longer popular, she will suffers a lot. Here, those who are not popular enough, will crumble.

It doesn't take much time before her surroundings get much more crowded, just like an actress doing fan meetings. Then, as usual, everytime she appears in front of many people, the whispering begins. She could hear their whisper clearly- crystal clear. Getting her more and more shy and embarrased. She was almost at her limit,her leg was losing its strength. 

"Is that her? The Backstage Princess?"

"She is so gorgeous. I just want to be her."

"Does she has any boyfriend? I think I would just start hitting on her."

Jieun body shivers as she heard it. She was world-wide known as the Backstage Princess because of her very shy personality. She rarely appear in front of people, not many people has actually seen her face, but still people admire her because of the gossip that spread wildly through the school. People just called her The Backstage Princess without knowing what her real name is. 

"Oh dear, they were overacting."

"It's just another lame and shy girl passing by."

"Don't you see? In another few minutes that girl will turn pale and fainted."

"Well, it has happened before. At the mall, right?"

Jieun turn red all of the sudden, feeling embarassed as her flashback started to haunt her.Insults. That are another thing that Jieun could hear very clearly. But Jieun has gotten used to it, it no longer left marks inside her heart neither scars. One thing that Jieun knew, she knew who loves to insults her. However, she doesn't really know their reason. To her, Bae Suzy and her group has always been the most perfect. 

Those insults are not perfectly wrong. Half of what they're saying is true. She was turning pale, her lips was no longer red but turning into a pastel colors. Her uncontroable heart beat almost caused her to faint. Her chest feels like there's a car on top of it, pressing her down. She couldn't breath. Her hand was sweating. 

"Hey, Jieun!" the voice of a man echoed.

*Woohyun voice. Oh, thank God. Please hurry up.* Jieun thought.

Woohyun ran towards Jieun and put his arm on her shoulder. Helping her legs to keep on standing and walking faster. Helping her to ran away from the crowd. Woohyun knew Jieun would be in a big trouble this morning, since she text him not to wait for her at the back yard. 

"Are you okay?" he whisper gently, seeing how Jieun has turn completely pale.

"I will be, when we get rid of this trouble." her soft voice turn unaudible. 

"Okay, relax. We will get there soon enough." He replied.

 


"Jieun! What were you thinking?!" Jiyeon yelled at her, as soon as Jiyeon finishes dragging that friend of hers to the toilet. 

"I should said thank you to Woohyun first." Jieun said while gasping, trying to earn the oxygen as much as she could.

"Forget about it. You should thank me, we plan it together."

"Please Jiyeon, give me a moment."

"Jieun! Oh God, really. Do you want to faint again? Like what happened when we hang out to the mall?"

A complete opposite from Jieun, is her bestfriend Jiyeon. The cheerful and pretty girl, with a quite bad attitude, and sometimes forgot her manner. She shout a lot, and she herself confessed that she could fight 3 man alone. If you ever find a bruise on Woohyun hand, that it must be Jiyeon doings. Everytime Woohyun forgot to brought her lunch, she would hit him without mercy. However, when you got to know her, you will find the other side of her. The sweet and kind said of Jiyeon. Eventhough she seems kinda rude, she cries more often than Jieun. 

"Well than, thank you."

"Now, answer me Jieun! What in the world were you thinking?!" Jiyeon shouts again.

"Shh! Stop shouting. Don't you know what day is it?" Jieun tried to peek outside from the small window in the toilet. 

"Of course I know. What why do you need to do that?"

"What would she thinks if her sister sneak to the backyard just to entre the school? Refuses to accompany her to school on her first day?"

"You never changed, Jieun."

Jiyeon also took a peek from the window, seeing Pil Suk being very happy. She patted her bestfriend head and gave her a genuine smile. She knew better than anyone else, how her friend was feeling. Jieun was very worried about her sister. Jieun was very protective towards her sister, after what happened in the past, Jieun has made a promise to herself, for the sake of her sister. 

"She will be just fine." Jiyeon started to comfort her bestfriend. 

"Don't lie to me Jiyeon. We all knew what she has been through. Even I couldn't imagine the pain."

"I know Jieun, I know. But you should stop blaming yourself, you are killing yourself. She is in pain, so are you."

"Last night, she cried again. She was scared. She cried herself to sleep and cried again in the midnight, after having a nightmare. Inside her, there are still scars- unheal scars. I don't even know how long would it takes to heal it, Jiyeon. Everytime she suffers I could not protect her, I couldn't protect anybody. I could only protect... myself." Tears were threatening to fall from Jieun brown eyes, she tried to hold it, not to let her bestfriend saw her cry.

"Jieun, it will be okay. Trust me, Pil Suk wil be okay. There's you, me, and Woohyun to protect her."

"I just hope.. it will be okay." a simple sigh slip through Jieun breath. "Pabo Jieun! How could you only hope? You should protect! Protect!" Jieun blame herself all over again.

Jiyoen kept on patting her bestfriend back as Jieun started to tear up again and blaming herself. 

"Jiyeonnie, if something happen to Pil Suk again, I don't know what to do. Pil Suk is still depressed after that day, she has tried to commit suicide twice. She still cries in her sleep. People keep on..." Jieun wasn't brave enough to continue. Her tongue froze, the moment she remembers things that had happened to her sister.

"Jiyeonnie.. what should I do if she is not popular? I don't want the history to repeat itself."

"I know. I know Jieun. Just calm yourself down. This place has always been unfair, but we will make sure she is popular enough."


What has actually happen to Jieun sister? What is it that has caused Pil Suk to cried overnight and tried to commit a suicide? Stay tuned and find out what  happened next! What pain does the two sister hide?


A/N

So how is my first chapter? I hope it came out well. I was very nervous about posting this. I really do hope you like it.

I'm really sorry for the misspelling and gramatical errors. I will try to do better from time to time.

I think Myungsoo will appear on the second or third chapter.

Comments are loved! Thank you.