77 || The Show

Backstage Princess

It’s the D-Day, everyone was nervous. Jieun was nervous; she was turning red as time passed by. They’re going to be the first to perform, thanks to Hara bad luck a few days ago, when she decided to be the one to pick up the lottery. They’re going to be the first and thankfully Jieun won’t be the first to perform. Myungsoo will perform first and soon it will be her.

However, it is still bad. She keeps on gripping on Woohyun’s shirt tightly. Her lip was pale; turning cream from time to time, even the lipstick she wears didn’t help at all. She looks pretty in her constumes and rather charming. She was being charismatic and sweet, she looks hugable and fluffy with white on her. Woohyun has to hold the urge to hug her.

She looked like she was about to faint, but the last schedule arrangement has brought her heart to peace. Some class was asking them for a trade, they want to trade their number with us. Hara accept them after seeing the pale Jieun being extremely nervous. They would go for the third, which means, there will be a break in the middle of their performance.

The first and second class was simply amazing, they performs a play. Rather than romantic, it was full of autumn’s theme; the reminiscence of autumn could be finding in their play. Jieun wasn’t able to concentrate fully on others performance; she keeps humming that melody, trying to reach the perfect pitch. Woohyun in the other hand was holding her hand tightly in case she fainted. He needs to encourage her or else she might faint for real.

“Our turn! Our turn! You will perform after the break! So just laid back and enjoy our two mascots performing!” Hara exclaimed, hyperly clapping her hand as the play will soon begin.

Jieun was not amused at all; she didn’t wait all day for this, but rather for her own performance. She wanted to escape, to run away, and ignored reality. They will kiss today; she has only started to accept it this morning, when she wakes up. She wanted to escape, but she can’t. Woohyun was holding her tightly, preventing her to run away and if she ever run away, Hara might go crazy right away.

“Oh… Romeo… Romeo…”

“Juliette… Oh Juliette.”

They act well; almost half of the theater was tearing up because of them. Suzy was so into it that she had tears on her eyes. Myungsoo- who was known for his cold and haugty personality changes to a charming prince with gentle and charismatic charms. She has never seen that side of Myungsoo before, it rarely happens. But seeing him doing it for other girls rather than her has hurt her.

“Oh Romeo… Romeo… I love you.”

“Juliette… Oh my dear Juliette.”

They lean closer and closer, with fingers interwined to each others. Jieun know they will do their kiss scene soon, their first kiss scene despite the other 2 or 3 more kiss scene they will have to do. It gets closer, as time passed by. They’re only inch apart, with their body attach to each other. Jieun heart beats faster, in rhythm with the drums and tension, she feels like getting a heart attack.

It was something she unconsciously done, gripping her chest tight, and also clutching tighter to Woohyun’s hand. She digs her finger, seeping it under his skin that he flinch for a few moments. He doesn’t want her to feel uncomfortable so he replied her touch by holding her hand even tighter, while glancing at her once in a while.

It hurts so much, to see the two of them getting closer. Their noses brush each other and Jieun was having a hard time to breathe. The feeling was new to her, although she has slowly acknowledged that she is simply jealous. She should have said ‘no’ that day, but her lips can’t say it. And now, she wonders if she has the right to say ‘no’, to be jealous over this trivial matter. They’re strangers now, why is she bugging in to his life?

“I’m too nervous. I need some fresh air.” She excuses herself.

It was a lame excuse; everyone would know that she’s hurting just by the look of her face. She was biting her bottom lips that Woohyun was scared blood might start comes out. She needs to grab a bunch of fresh air; the backyard will be the best. She will get more than enough fresh air there, and then she could replace all of this suffocating air that are trapped inside her lungs, giving heavy pressure against his chest. But stupid her, rather than excusing herself and exiting the theater, she chooses to stand near the door, where the stage are clearly visible since it has the best spot.

She was watching them with pleading eyes, with nervous heart. She was curious, very curious whether they will kiss or not. If they did, then she will prepare herself to run from reality, by exiting the door and creating a tiny chaos by disappearing for a short moments. Woohyun will know where to find her, things will be allright even if she decided to run from reality for a while.

The beginning was simple, the two of them entering the stage. He was dressed in armor, swords, and prince customs, where she founds him rather charming and cool. That arrogant smirk glows on his face, melting the hearts of the girls and without her realizing, it manages to melt hers. She entered in a princess-like dress with a pair of white high-heels. She looked gorgeous, compared to Jieun who’s only wearing a fluffy white dress for her performance. She’s nothing compared to Suzy.

It was fear to begin with, fear of seeing them being such a perfect couple compared to how her relationship with him in real life. They seem too perfect and too compatible that a slight fear and jealousy appear. A prince is only compatible to his princess after all. What if people would rather have them as a real life couple and dumb her? He wants popularity after all; he would do anything to chase after popularity. The sudden thought hit her hard.

Then, it was their first skinship that makes her flinch and her eyes to widen. A simple touch, holding each other hand like there’s no tomorrow, it makes her feel uncomfortable. When he kneeled and offer red roses to Suzy, her heart started to ache. The pain was bearable at first, but soon changes to something bigger that suffocate her breath. She doubts she would be able to sing after this.

The whispers, saying how the two are very compatible has brought anxiety upon her. She could hear whispers, coming from everyplaces, saying how compatible Myungsoo and Suzy are. However, some are kind enough to be considerate, saying that Jieun is his girlfriend and that they should respect their relationship more. But they have yet to know that the two has turned to strangers, who no longer know each other.

So now, it were question that spin around her head, giving her constant headache and aching heart. Does she have the right to feel this way? She’s the one who asked him to keep their distance. Does she even have the right to say he’s hers? She’s the one who wanted to break up so badly. Does she even deserve this? Everything feels wrong, everything feels very uncertain. She’s full of doubt, doubting herself, doubting the world, Kim Myungsoo, and also their relationship.

They’re leaning even closer, the tip of their nose brushes. Suzy was tip-toeing, to match their height. Her arms around his broad shoulder, and soon travelled to his neck. His arms are wrapped tightly around her waist, securing his princess. They’re getting closer and closer, as they have already felt each other breath on their skin. It was hot and nervous; they hesitated but soon lean even more.

They’re not going to stop. They’re going to kiss.

“I….” Myungsoo whispers faintly.

Bang!

I love you that must be the continuation. With the thoughts on her mind, she exited the room without any hesitation. She has seen enough of their lovey-dovey acts and if they’re going to kiss, she won’t stop him at all. They could kiss, she’s already turned to ashes. They could kiss all they want, and she would let them be. She won’t be the one bugging to his life anymore; she won’t become a bother anymore. He will have his own life, so does she. Let’s truly become a stranger from now on.


Bang!

He had his eyes on Jieun all the time, watching her movements cautiously from time to time. She looked hurt but he wonders if it’s her true feeling. And without him noticing, their first kiss scene was coming closer, even Suzy has finished her last line before the kissing scene. And they soon lean closer against each other to do their so-called kiss scene.

He knows it, when she decided to exits the place and run away. He does know that she was watching them. She didn’t exit the theater but standing strong beside the exit door, wondering if they ever kiss. He hesistated to begin with, knowing that she’s watching but soon was convinced after remembering her statement. She approves them to do so.

But he knows, this isn’t something they want. He know this isn’t something he wish for and if she’s hurt because of this- which is impossible to happen since she hated him so much- he will be the one being very upset and gloomy over this matter. So… this is it, a little surprise for Lee Ji Eun.

“I…”

Bang!

But he was a step too late. Damn it! How many times does he have to be a step too late? He flinched, although the sound was faint enough to be inaudible, he could hear it. The door, it wasn’t being slammed, but being gently closed. Jieun was trying to calm herself down, he knows it too well. Jieun turns too calm when she’s too upset. And now he is… doing something that turns out to be a failure.

“I can’t do this. I’m sorry, My Juliette.” He confessed, pushing her away as he played another round of a new play he had just planned inside his head.

“What do you mean, L- Romeo?”

“I’m sorry, my dear, Juliette. I don’t love you. I love someone else.”

It left the viewers in shocked the Romeo sudden statement. Hara was left with hanging open, she stomped her feet, angered by his sudden action. The viewers were tensing up, curious by what would happen next. Woohyun, too, was shocked and Wooyoung gasp. However, Woohyun has the urge to compliment that guy, since he knows what he’s doing right now.


Breathe, Jieun. Breathe, breath, breath! You will have to perform in 20 minutes; you will have to breath well, do well, and sing well! She keeps telling herself the same thing over and over ago. She was tearing up just now, but managed to control her unreasonable emotions. She’s gasping for air right now, to exchange her suffocating air with the fresh one. She looked up to the sky, inhaling the fresh breezes deeply. She’s feeling better.

They kissed, that is all that she should know. She had no other problems with it, not anymore. Their relationship will soon come an end; at least she is sure of it. These feelings will die soon and she will make sure to kill it before it lightens even more. She won’t be this much weird if the feelings have died. Yeah, she should have killed it.

“Are you okay?”

Jieun almost screams when Woohyun’s head suddenly popped out of nowhere, scaring her. Her breathing got heavy, that she almost falls again. Ah, she needs to be careful or else she will end up in hospital. She would hate that, she needs to be careful, especially with those high-heels attached to her feet.

“Woohyun, don’t scare me like that.”

“Sorry, Jieunnie~. You look tired and pale, are you okay?”

“I’m fine.”

“Are you bothered by their kiss scene?”

“Wh- Wha- What are you talking about? Why should I be bothered by it? He’s nothing to me.” Jieun insisted, being the stubborn girl she is.

“Or is he?”

“What are you talking about? He’s nothing to me. It feels better without him.”

“Then why are you so upset after their kiss scene?”

“I was just too nervous, I need some air or else I won’t be able to sing.”

“You can fool a ghost but you can’t fool me.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“Then, for you to know, they…”

“They…”

“Nevermind.”

“You guys! You guys should stop giving me heart attack! We’re performing in 10!” Hara suddenly interrupted, dragging the couple to the theather backstage, preparing for the performances.


“Excuse me, L-ssi.”

Did she have just called him L? Did she have just called him L, not Myungsoo? Is something wrong with his ears? She never called him L, especially with a formal addresstion towards him. She always called him Myungsoo or Kim Myungsoo with sarcastic and cold tone, but it was way better rather than being called L. She has truly distant herself apart from him. She had no intention of making-up, he knows it.

And now she’s talking to Wooyoung, in front of his own eyes. Does she know that it hurts? She was talking casually to Wooyoung, with lots of teasing, skinship, and laughs. She seems to be enjoying their talked despite the fact that she was rushed by Hara, since she has to perform in 5. She didn’t even take a glance to Myungsoo, much to his disappointment.

“You have to sing well, IU. I will appear when you have sung nicely. Fighting!” Wooyoung said.

“Fighting! I will be waiting for you.”

“Jieun, fighting!” Hoya who was busy arranging the music manages to send her his best wishes before she goes on stage.

“Jieunnie~, fighting! Let’s do well together.” Woohyun smiled faintly as her figure disappear behind the curtain, entering the stage.

“Jieun-ssi, fighting! Let me help you.” Hara offered her a hand, helping her to position herself on the stage.

She looked very pretty and cute. She looked charming, with fluffy white clothes on her. It fall downs her knees, exposing only a few parts of her body, rather than a y one. She looked huggable and rather beautiful. Despite her huggable looks, she looked rather charming with her hair tied into a ponytail. Myungsoo could only watch her from a far, complimenting her looks silently.

She is nervous, Myungsoo could tell from the look of her eyes. She tried to sing a little bit of the song, to match her voice with the keys. It was a perfect pitch and soothing. It sounded nice, as if an angel is singing for them. He envies them, who’s going to do a duet with her. He has done a duet, once with her, but it wasn’t enough. He turns selfish, wanting to do more duets her, despite his so-so average voice compared to Woohyun’s. At least, he tries hard, right?

♪IU- Someday

The music started and Jieun started the first lines of the lyric. She sang it beautifully, expressing the feelings very well. She looks like little fluffy angel from a far, singing their favorite lullaby with their angelic voice. It gives them peace, relax, a refreshing feelings each time she sang it. The crowd cheers for her, as they are shocked to see her performing something for the festival. Jieun never participate in any events before.

Myungsoo was shutting his eyes closed, leaning his back against the wall to enjoy her voice. This is nice. He thought, wondering if this is a dream. If only she’s singing this song to him, or at least with him. But his wondering thoughts were soon stopped by the exploding cheer outside that shocked him.

Kidarimyeon eonjengan ogetji
Bami gireodo haeneun tteudeushi
Apeun nae gaseumdo eonjengan da natgetji

She sang it beautifully, singing the melody that keeps spinning inside his head. He suddenly misses her, the time they used to spend together, their fight, their constant glancing, and their sarcastic tone. He misses her smile, he misses her voice, her cooking, her everything. He saw her every day, paying as much attention as he could, but still he misses her alot.

He was enjoying her voice when the crowd suddenly cheered happily while clapping their hand excitedly. It forces him to mentally slapped himself and open his blood-shot eyes, staring at the stage. He curses under his breath, totally annoyed by the scenery on the stage. That one damn annoying guy!

That guy is a ruiner; he ruined everything that Myungsoo have. Wooyoung, he’s no other than the one who brought misfortune to his relationship with Jieun. Thanks to him, their relationship is ruined. If only this guy hasn’t appeared, then things would have been better. Else, he might have even confessed to her! And now everything is ruined thanks to that guy. He’s having a great time with Jieun, and in the opposite, Myungsoo is having a hard time with Jieun.

He suddenly appeared on the stage, bringing a yellow-colored umbrella and a lollipop. It was sweet and romantic, an appearance that fit his baby-faced appearance perfectly. Jieun, who looked cute in her costumes, makes it look even sweeter. Myungsoo notices how Jieun’s face turn brighter once she saw him. She can’t help but grin at his sudden appearance, a faint smile and a sudden butterfly on her stomach almost made her go crazy.

The crowd cheer louder when he suddenly kneeled in front of her, kisses her hand, and offers her a lollipop. She gladly took it, when a huge smiles curving upwards. He took her hand, helping her to stand from her fitting position without losing balance. When the song was about to end, he sings together with her; mimicking her.

Eonjengan...
Eonjengan...

He leans closer when the music ended. He leans, closer and closer, earning the loud cheer, eager to see them kiss. Although most of the male are sighing and groaning, being extremely unhappy about their kissing attempt. But the girls and mostly those who are so into gossiping and has fallen in love for this cute couple couldn’t help but squeals. They squeal harder when their nose brushes against each other.

Myungsoo was burning in jealousy. How could she be grinning like that? Instead of groaning or pushing him away, Jieun chooses to grin happily as if kissing him is normal. When their nose touches, her smile curves upward, smiling wider. The umbrella soon cover the two and the curtain closed, their shadow was the only thing left as they seems to be kissing. Most of them were left curious about whether they truly kiss or simply faking it. Myungsoo could only gritted his teeth and shut his eyes closed, shoving off those dirty thoughts of his.


“Woah, I never thought it would be this great!” Hara clapped as the cheer asked for more.

“Good job, IU!” Wooyoung complimented her.

“Woah, that was amazing!” Hoya patted her back.

“Let’s get going, shall we?” Woohyun smiled, preparing for his next surprise action.

Myungsoo watches her from a far; she shyly walked to the backstage and changes her constume, to another long-white dress. She looked gorgeous this time, with a more mature look, combined with her long wavy hair. She look friendly and approachable this time, rather than all huggable and fluffy. She look wonderful and much to his disappointment, Woohyun is the only person who will be enjoying her beauty.

Myungsoo was curious about their next performance, just like the rest of the class. Hara was very fond of Woohyun voice, just as Jieun did. Woohyun has an excellent vocal ability- especially ‘live’. And Jieun has the angelic voice that impresses the coldest person in the world. Their special combination has given Hara a great idea, to give a surprise performance, to everyone. And she wasn’t even thinking about Myungsoo, who might get very furious and jealous by the time it ended.

“You look pretty.” Woohyun complimented her.

“You’re too lucky, Woohyun. She didn’t even dress up this much for me.” Wooyoung pouted.

“Thank you.”

“I will wait for you at the other side. Fighting, Jieun!” Woohyun bid his goodbye and left for his performance.

“Fighting!”


♪ Yoseob ft. Eunji – Love Day

cham manhi gunggeumhae
jeonbu da gunggeumhae
wae jami an ogo, ni eolgulman boyeo

She walked to the stage, singing first part of the song splendidly. It’s has a stronger color, rather than her previous song, which is calm and soft. She shows another color of her voice, a stronger and cheerful one. Her last song was a bit sad and this is rather cheerful. You could feel the love in the air. The crowd cheers, as they expect for another splendid performance.

Myungsoo smiled, thinking that she’s singing it to him. He could be a little naïve and being a dreamer right? It’s not wrong at all. He nods, matching it with the rhythm. If only she’s saying this to him, saying she is curious about his feelings. He would reply it directly, saying that he too is curious about her feelings and the fact that he truly loves her.

nado gunggeumhae
i mami gunggeumhae
wae neoman bomyeon useumi meonjeo nawa

Woohyun walked to the stage, toward her who’s standing in the middle. The spotlight soon moved, from Jieun to Woohyun. He’s romantic and charismatic voice impressed the auditions that the girl cheers loudly. He smiled, singing it his best while using all his emotions. He walked to her, who’s smiling widely to welcome him.

Myungsoo need to open his eyes so badly, since Woohyun’s voice struck his ear so badly that it feels like he’s going deaf because of his voice. It wasn’t his voice that turns out to be the problem, but rather the meaning of the song. He realizes that this isn’t something dedicated to him, but dedicated to this man- who’s enjoying his time doing a duet with Jieun.

The crowd cheers louder, making Myungsoo’s heart ache even harder. They used to be famous for being the perfect friend- Woohyun and Jieun, people used to think they’re couple but Jieun clear things up, saying she isn’t dating Woohyun. But now, people must have think Jieun and Woohyun loved each other, despite the fact that Jieun has already had a boyfriend.

neoreul manhi manhi johahae
neoreul na saranghage dwaetnabwa
ttoggati marhago sipeunde
naega geuraedo doelkka,
jomdeo gidaryeobolkka

nado manhi manhi johahae
sasil
nan ireon mami cheominde
deo gidaryeojulge, deo gidaryeojullae
nan yeogi isseulge, yeogi isseojullae
urineun imi gateun mamingeol

They sang the chorus, taking step closer to each other. They sang it thoroughly, changing the gloomy atmosphere to a brighter one. It changes from autumn theme to a bright spring theme. And soon, the romance in the air, just as decribed- Love Day, started to float in the air that lovers started to hold each other hand.

It was first pointing to each other, before touching each other nose. Myungsoo was more than delighted, he sarcastically clapped and cheered when Woohyun lean closer and playfully touch Jieun cute nose with his fingertip. Then, it was another step when they locked each other eyes for the rest of the song, without letting go. And then, Woohyun suddenly took her hand and let her feels his beating hearbeat.

yeppeun yeojadeuleun (no~)
cham manhgo manheunde (no~)
neon jeongmal nabakke an boineungeonji

meotjin namjadeul (nugu?)
ni gyeote manheunde (eodi?)
eotteoke niga naegero oneungeoni Girl~

Woohyun throws red roses to the audience, causing his fangirl to run amok, scrambling to snatch the rose away. He only throws three of them, in three different direction. The girls cheers, once they saw the red roses being thrown at a distant, to make sure even those who sat at the back could receive them.

Jieun, in the other hand, throws her hand-made cookies-which was covered in boxes to make sure it won’t crush- to the audience. She has the most male fans out there, that all the males are being greedy for her hand-made cookies. Myungsoo too, couldn’t help but try to search for it, exactly like others crazy male fans.

The song continued and they hold hands. Woohyun kneeled, took her hand and kiss it. The crowd squeals at their cheesyness, the romance was greasy but sweet. It was more than succesfull; their play didn’t even create such a trend. The audiences are rather tense, trying to enjoy their performance. But their last performance has created a trend, which will definitely bring a championship to their class.

Woohyun kneeled when the song nearly ends, giving her flowers after handing balloons when the second chorus appeared. And now, she looks very happy, receiving the flowers with another hand holding the pink balloons. He suddenly hugs her, wrapping his arm around her tiny waist, while singing the last part of the song.

nal mideojugetni neol mideobolge nan
i sarangaeseo, i sarangsogeseo
naranhi
gati georeogaja, duri

She tip-toed, leaning closer against him. He supported her, helping her by wrapping his arms around her waist. She soon let go of the balloons, letting it float upwards, flying away. They both looked up, before locking each other gaze once more. Jieun leans closer, feelings his warm breath against her reddis cheek. Woohyun could smell her peach scent that gives his heart lots of peace. She shut her eyes closed, as if she’s ready for the kiss. The crowd cheers loudly, they squeal, shaking the whole theater.

Hara, who has planned everything perfectly, throws an umbrella toward the two. Without glancing toward it, Woohyun keeps his eyes locked toward her figure while successfully catching the umbrella. He twirls it with his index finger cooly; his fangirls are impressed by him. He opened the umbrella, covering their face to enjoy their private moments.

The curtains soon closed, only the umbrella and part of his arms are visible. He soon let go off his grip, letting the umbrella falls on stage. The shadow of the two, kissing each other was the only thing seen. The spotlight was spotting the two of them kissing, they kissed for a long time, leaving the viewers curious about how they truly feels about one another.  The spotlight soon goes off, leaving nothing but the dark stage to watch at.

“I really like you, Jieun-ssi.” Woohyun voice echoed.

“I really like you too, Woohyun-ssi.” Jieun replied, with her mic still on.

The girls squeals at the greasy romance and the boy can’t help but feeling envious toward Woohyun. Captivating Jieun’s heart is one of the hardest things to do, yet this guy is lucky enough to do it. They’re all fooled by Hara splendid idea that makes the whole world lures for more. They keep clapping, even after 3 minutes pass by.

“Daebak!” They complimented.


“That was great!” Hara hyperly exclaimed, satisfied with the things they have achieved.

“Thank you.”

“You did great, Jieunnie~. I guess, we managed to fool them with our fake kiss scene.”

“Yah! You bastard! IU didn’t even kiss me!” Wooyoung puffed her cheek.

“I’m the unlucky guy! I have done nothing with you today!” Hoya rests his chin against her shoulder.

“We’re going to win for sure!” Hara exclaimed once again, grinning widely.

“That was quite a performance, Jieun. I’m tired!” Woohyun said, patting her back.

“You did great too; I have lots of fun doing a duet with you.”

“Ah, I wonder if we ever be able to do this again.”

“I’d love to.”

“I’m looking forward to it.”

Jieun smiles, thinking that they will always be best friends even in the future. She excuses herself, to get change and some drink. The backstage has turned too crowded; she barely able to move around through it, the air was suffocating. Being on stage was a lot better, although she’s having a hard time controlling her confidence.

“Jieunnie! That was daebak! I’m going to write an article about you for our school’s newspaper and you’re going to be the main! Lee Ji Eun spectacular duet! It’s going to be the tittle!” Jiyeon happily said.

“Jiyeonnie, you should rest. I’m afraid if you keep jumping around like this, you might get sick again.”

“Mm.” She cleared , signing that someone is standing behind her best friend.

“Who is it?”

“You should see it for yourself. I think the two of you need to talk.”

Jiyeon excuses herself and disappear. Jieun was stunned, to see her friend being desperate to run away. She turned, only to face Kim Myungsoo. She thinks he look thinner than usual and gloomy. He looks very cool, as always, but also he shows a slight pain, reflected from his dark orbs. It made Jieun wonders, who has hurt her?

“Jieun-ah.”

“L-ssi, let’s talk.”


She didn’t talk at all; she didn’t even bother to look back, checking on him if he truly does follow her. She didn’t tell him anything, she only asked him to follow him. She said she wanted to talk to him, something private. She didn’t want to talk about it on public; she wants to talk directly with him, and only with him.

She leads him, and it was rather expected, that she chooses the backyard as the safest place to talk. She was walking up-straight, and steps without any hesitation. She looked ready and well-prepared; it makes him think she’s going to talk about a very important matter. It left him wondering around and it has fueled up fears inside him.

Click… Clack… Click…

The sound of her highheels crashing against made the atmosphere turns tense. She suddenly stops walking, surprising Myungsoo. And without turning back, she said that one forbidden word that left his world crumbling.

“L-ssi, let’s break up.”